ARGH!!! Calvinism makes me furious!!!

Secret sister

Freak said:
To recap, all of the following translations, speak of God sending an evil spirit.

God sent an evil spirit between Abimelech and the men of Shechem; and the men of Shechem dealt treacherously with Abimelech: (WEB)

And God sent an evil spirit between Abimelech and the men of Shechem; and the men of Shechem dealt treacherously with Abimelech: (ASV)

And God sent an evil spirit between Abimelech and the townsmen of Shechem; and the townsmen of Shechem were false to Abimelech; (BBE)

And God sent an evil spirit between Abim'elech and the men of Shechem; and the men of Shechem dealt treacherously with Abim'elech; (DBY)

Then God sent an evil spirit between Abimelech and the men of Shechem; and the men of Shechem dealt treacherously with Abimelech: (KJV)

Then God sent an evil spirit between Abimelech and the men of Shechem; and the men of Shechem dealt treacherously with Abimelech: (WBS)

And God sent an evil spirit between Abimelech and the men of Shechem; and the men of Shechem dealt treacherously with Abimelech; (JPS)

and God sendeth an evil spirit between Abimelech and the masters of Shechem, and the masters of Shechem deal treacherously with Abimelech, (YLT)

1 Samuel 16:14-16 But the spirit of the LORD departed from Saul, and an evil spirit from the LORD troubled him. {15} And Saul's servants said unto him, Behold now, an evil spirit from God troubleth thee. {16} Let our lord now command thy servants, which are before thee, to seek out a man, who is a cunning player on an harp: and it shall come to pass, when the evil spirit from God is upon thee, that he shall play with his hand, and thou shalt be well.

2 Sam 12:11* "Thus says the LORD, 'Behold, I will raise up evil against you from your own household; I will even take your wives before your eyes and give them to your companion, and he will lie with your wives in broad daylight.

Secret sister

seekinganswers said:
There is nothing in this world that is,
that truly is,
that is not also grounded in the Creator.

A God who must stop something is a God in whom that something is not grounded. God need not stop things, for God is the grounding of all things, and evil is nothing more than a distortion of what God has made.

God's will comes about not be fighting what is against God. God's will comes about because it is the only reality.

Peace,
Michael

All things are subject to Gods authority, including Satan, demons and evil.

To believe otherwise sets up a system of Dualism

Isaiah 45:7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

Lam 3:38 From the mouth of the Most High does not go out the evil and the good.

sentientsynth

I've never implied, nor meant to imply that God is literally 'in' a phenomena - God caused Katrina, but I don't believe He was literally 'in' Katrina.
ZMan,

Notice that I haven't disputed what you say. Far be it from me to put words in your mouth. I only ask for your take on this verse for my sake, as I've yet to see it profferred to you.

I simply believe the Scriptures claim God to be the 'primary cause' of such events.
I would say that God is the necessary cause of all things, that He is the required precondition to casuality itself. In other words, by Him all things consist (Col. 1:17; Heb 1:3). Typically, I equate primary cause will efficient cause. For example, the efficient cause of a hurricane is converging winds toward a low-pressure system, evaporative heating of water, and the Coriolis effect, while the necessary cause is the uniformity of nature, which is the active outworking of God. But this, perhaps, is mere hair-splitting. In the final analysis, God is the author of all things and nothing that happens does so without His foreordination.
After God 'passed by', the phenomenal events began. I believe He caused the wind, earthquake, and fire, yet, as the Scriptures state, I do not believe God was 'in' them.
We could ask ourselves, Would these things have happened had God not passed by? No. They would not have. God did cause them. But He is not in them, just as you say.

In context, Elijah is upset because the Israelites have turned against God and are seeking to kill him, who happens to be a prophet of God himself. God asks Elijah to stand on the mountain, which after passing by, is stressed by wind, an earthquake, and fire (possible volcano?). Later, God assures Elijah, "I have reserved seven thousand in Israel, all whose knees have not bowed to Baal, and every mouth that has not kissed him". In other words, despite what we may see in the physical realm, God is behind the scenes working everything out according to His will.

Therefore, I interpret the incident on the mountain to be a lesson from God to Elijah, that despite what seems like turmoil and certain doom in Israel (as was the scenario on the mountain), God also works behind the scenes protecting Elijah from harm (despite Israel's hostility, God has reserved those who have not turned).

God causes calamities, but we shouldn't look at the events to find God. I believe God caused Katrina, but I'm not going to expect or tell people to 'look for God' in the storm's havoc. Instead, we should look for God in the aftermath - see Him working through people's lives as they sacrifice their homes for refugees, or give their money to those in need. God was telling Elijah to not look for Him in the calamity, but instead, in the quiteness. I do not believe this passage of Scripture is saying that God does not cause calamities.
Looks good to me.

SS

seekinganswers

Secret sister said:
All things are subject to Gods authority, including Satan, demons and evil.

To believe otherwise sets up a system of Dualism

Isaiah 45:7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

Lam 3:38 From the mouth of the Most High does not go out the evil and the good.

You cannot apply these verses as generalities for the entirity of the scriptures. In Genesis chapter one God does not create darkness, but in the midst of chaos makes room for what is, i.e. light. God speaks into the darkness and divides it to make space for life, for reality inhabits space, and where there is no space, there is no reality. God must first make space before there can be life. So the first three days consist in God casting out the spacelessness (the void, the tohu vavohu), to make space that allows for life to fill it in the following days.

The Lord in Isaiah is speaking to Cyrus (that is the ruler of the Persian Empire, the empire that brings Israel into captivity in the exhile). And notice, he is not "evil" based on a definition of his person; he is evil because he does know God. Yet there is a reality about Cyrus that transcends his evil. Even cyrus is God's creation who brings glory actively to God through his actions, though he does not know God. God is the one who has made him and God is glorified through him, for he is God's creation (not Marduk's).

Why is it that the Lord goes on to say in verse 12: "I made the earth, and created humankind upon it; it was my hands that stretched out the heavens, and I commanded all their host. I have aroused Cyrus in righteousness, and I will make his paths straight; he shall build my city and set my exiles free, not for price or reward, says the Lord of hosts."

Cyrus is not actively engaged by God for evil but for good, for there is no reality outside of God (neither good nor evil). "Evil" that pretends to be something it is not will be shown for the nothingness it has become, for evil has no reality outside of the righteousness of God. Evil is not a reality. So I have not formed a dualism but a singular reality grounded in God, who creates what is righteous and good, and in whom all good things consist. Evil will not be sustained, but will only survive parasitically through the good. "The Father causes it to rain on both the righteous and the unrighteous"; even the life of the sinner consists in God (not in the sinfulness, but in the Creation, in life). Evil is not a reality in itself; evil is a reality only in as much as participates in the good.

The Lamentations passage begins, "Who can command and have it done if the Lord has not ordained it? Is it not from the mouth of the Most High that good and bad come? Why should any who draw breath complain about the punishment of their sins?"

The "good and the bad" here are anthropologically defined, not theologically defined. It is the good and bad from the perspective of humanity. But there is but one purpose in God. You have to rememeber that the author is witnessing the horrors of an invasion of the promised land. Israel has fallen (Jerusalem has been destroyed). This is an evil as far as the Jews are concerned. And yet God is responsible for it. But the New Testament and prophetic writers shine light on this; "God punishes those whom he loves." The punishment which is received as an evil (for it seems to use the distortion to correct) only shows that the only reality is in God, so that even those who reject God can be used to fulfill God's purposes (for Israel).

The evil is not a reality! The only reality is held in God, in whom the Creation consists (not the non-creation). God only sustains life; death is a mere absence of it. And death is truly powerless before God, for death only has substance within the context of life. That which has no life cannot die. And the one who gives life is untouched by death. Death is not a reality; it is the distortion of reality. And it is only in the distortion of the good that death has power. When death destroys life, its power ends. Yet God can raise the dead!

You are the one creating a dualism, for you have set aside two types of Creation, a duality of the will of God. God desires both salvation and wrath. And it is this duality that will cause you to picture a trinity that is schitzophrenic. The Father is wrathful while the Son is merciful. And what you have failed to see is that in Christ the fulness of the Father is revealed. The Son and the Father a fully disclosed to one another. So God is unified in purpose, which is a purpose for life and salvation to all. And it is not forced, for life is a gift not an obligation (if life had been an obligation, it would no longer be life). Life is a gift, and it is sustained in God, not controlled by God. Like the tree away from water, the life appart from God will wither and die. It won't become something else; it will only return to the dust.

Peace,
Michael

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
seekinganswers said:
The problem I have with an open future is that it assumes that there is a posibility for evil (as if, once again, evil had a place in this world). The posibility of evil is an affirmation of its reality. Evil is not a thing; evil doesn't take up space (or time). Evil is attatched to the good, feeding off of what is in order to bring about its own reality. But in the end, the reality brought about by evil is either nothing at all (that is a lack of future) or is simply the accomplishment of God's own will (as can be seen in the exhiles of Israel, and in the cross of Christ). The future is not open in the regard.

What is open is the present, i.e. us. We are given choice only because we are grounded in the reality that is God (we have life). And it is only in our present life enclosed within a beginning and telos that is God's that we are open. God has enclosed us within God's own will (life) so that we might be able to choose life or death. The future is not open, for God's will is the future of Creation. We will be moved from chaos to rest along with the rest of Creation, whether we come willingly or not. God's will is driving this world (for the good is grounded in God; and the good is reality).

What is open is now, and the now becomes a reflection of eternity. We can either participate in the good that is God's, or we can choose not to and find that we are unable to sustain it.

Peace,
Michael

Most of this is cobbligook but would it interest you to know that I do not believe that the future exists, nor the past, but only the present? All that exists, exists now.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
seekinganswers said:
I hope everyone realizes that what I am saying is entirely grounded in a very Platonic view of the good, and comes directly from Augustine and Aquinas.

Peace,
Michael
Two excellent reasons to be suspicious of your theology, as both of these men founded their theology on Neo-Platonic philosophy rather than strictly on the Word of God.

Why do you bring up a point which you know will cast suspicion on your theology? Sounds sort of theologically masochistic to me. :hammer:

Resting in Him,
Clete

Evee

Clete said:
Most of this is cobbligook but would it interest you to know that I do not believe that the future exists, nor the past, but only the present? All that exists, exists now.

Resting in Him,
Clete
You people never cease to amaze me. :wave2:

Evee

Clete said:

Resting in Him,
Clete
Maybe you are just being sarcastic, but what makes you any different than atheist if this is your belief?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Evee said:
Maybe you are just being sarcastic, but what makes you any different than atheist if this is your belief?
Actually, anyone should believe that anything that exists exists now.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Evee said:
No, I'm not being sarcastic at all. The past is remembered, the future is anticipated, existence is now. Time travel is impossible because you cannot travel to places which do not exist.

What about this belief has anything to do with atheism?

I don't see the contection but am eager to clear up whatever problem you think this idea presents. Could you flesh out this question for me? That is, could you tell me what your line of thought was that lead you to ask this question?

Resting in Him,
Clete

drbrumley

I'm not understanding why it is so impossible for you folks (settled viewers) to say the future is non existant.

I guess the most relevant question is:

God knows all there is to now. That's a fact. What are we saying that offends so many?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
drbrumley said:
I'm not understanding why it is so impossible for you folks (settled viewers) to say the future is non existant.

I guess the most relevant question is:

God knows all there is to now. That's a fact. What are we saying that offends so many?
Offensive might not be the right word. I think people tend to fear uncertainty. Some of it may come from an incomplete understanding of OT.

seekinganswers

Clete said:

Resting in Him,
Clete

And would it intrest you to know that for me my life now is held in God, as are the lives of all those who came before us (even those in the grave). And God's purpose for life in the future gives me hope for the future. The past, the present, and the future (telos or culmination) are held in God, while I am resigned to the present. But through Christ I am compelled to be united not only with those who come before me, but also in faithfulness to those who will come after me. God is greater than the now. If he holds the lives of all who came before us, than he is greater than the present. The question is whether God holds the future as well. In Christ that is assured (there is hope for the future; it is not uncertain). And it is the past, present and future reality of Christ that assure us of this hope.

God does not live in the present. God resides within God's own will, which encompasses time and space and the Creation itself.

Peace,
Michael

Z Man

God_Is_Truth said:
Well, you have to at least consider that your interpretation of Isaiah 45:7 could be wrong.
Isaiah 45:7
I form the light and create darkness, I make peace and create calamity; I, the Lord, do all these things.

I interpret this passage to say that God creates calamity. How is that interpretation wrong, given that it's pretty clear and straight from God's mouth Himself?
The real question is "what does the text actually say, and do I need to change my interpretation of other passages because of it?" Verses don't trump each other, they fit together. If two pieces don't fit, then one piece needs to be changed. So again, we need to figure out what Jesus is saying apart from certain theological positions. Don't you agree?
Yes, we need to figure out what Jesus is saying apart from certain theological positions, but NOT apart from God's Biblical character. If God clearly states in Isaiah 45:7 that He creates calamity, I'm sure we can apply that statement throughout the Bible. It's a given when Jesus talks about the tower - a certain calamity - that God must've been the cause, given the creditials we read about His character throughout the rest of the Bible.

Yeah, I'm against people interpreting the Bible from their theological, indoctrinated opinions, but not against interpreting it using the whole text.
I agree that the people were no worse sinners. But you end your explanation with "God uses tragedy to display His glory". How would having a tower fall on people give God glory? What about that event brings him glory? What glory might it bring him?
Don't underestimate the wisdom of God. What about the weakness and shamefulness of the cross would bring God glory? God uses weakness and calamities to display His glory:

1 Corinthians 1:25, 27-29
Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men. But God has chosen the foolish things of the world to put to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to put to shame the things which are mighty; and the base things of the world and the things which are despised God has chosen, and the things which are not, to bring to nothing the things that are, that no flesh should glory in His presence.

2 Corinthians 2:9-10
And God said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness." Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ's sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
And further, why does Jesus not mention anything about glory in this passage? We see it in the blind man, but it seems to be absent here. Doesn't that suggest a difference? Doesn't the absence of any explanation at all from Jesus suggest that it wasn't from God?
I don't think Jesus has to say 'glory' everytime He speaks for us to understand that glory is always given to God.
The proverbs passage is indeed interseting, though I'm hesitant to build much doctrine upon it because of it's vagueness and generalities. But, you say nothing is left to chance. Why then would Jesus say in a story that a man came by chance? (Luke 10:31) Indeed, if nothing is left to chance, shouldn't Jesus have said "Now as God had intended, a certain priest came down..." instead of "Now by chance a certain priest came down" ? Doesn't this suggest that Jesus believed in some chance? Doesn't it suggest that not everything happens for a reason?
I don't think, as you have stated earlier, that we should build a doctrine upon one verse, let alone one word within a parable, because of it's 'vagueness and generalities'. Personally, I don't believe Jesus is promoting the idea of a world governed by chance in the parable of the good Samaritin. I believe He was using a figure of speech known as 'tropes'. Tropes has several sub-categories to it, such as hyperbole, antonomasia, auxesis, and euphemism, to name a few.
Also, does not God use the same logic as we do? Logic is logic, right?
I'm not so sure that I'd agree with you on that one. I mean, I don't think it's logical to believe in God - it takes faith. The doctrine of the Trinity itself is illogical - it takes faith. For God to always have existed is illogical and incomprehendable to me. For everything to come out of nothing by God's spoken word is illogical and incomprehendable. Nothing about God can be explained logically - Christianity is a belief grounded in faith. Faith goes where logic cannot.

Isaiah 55:8
"For My thoughts are not your thoughts, Nor are your ways My ways," says the Lord.
For any being, just because you control some things does not mean you control all things. Correct?
We cannot make the mistake of holding God accountable to our attributes and characteristics. He's not human - He can do anything He pleases. His very existence is baffling to us; why doubt that He can control all things?

seekinganswers

Clete said:
Two excellent reasons to be suspicious of your theology, as both of these men founded their theology on Neo-Platonic philosophy rather than strictly on the Word of God.

Why do you bring up a point which you know will cast suspicion on your theology? Sounds sort of theologically masochistic to me. :hammer:

Resting in Him,
Clete

Because if you reject my position based on association, than you have engaged in fallacy. And in stating my position, I am being as truthful as I can be.

You are arrogant. Both Augustine and Aquinas have influenced Christianity beyond what you even realize. Does this make them always right? No. But you cannot dismiss them. If you dismiss them, you have undermined the very foundation of your thinking. Whether you like it or not, Greek thought is at the core of Modernism and the Enlightenment. To pretend that it is not is just plain ignorant. And Christians are indebted to both Augustine and Aquinas, for they, if anything, set the mode of thought that would continue for thousands of years (their systematic theology lies at the foundation of even the Protestants). It is not until the past 150 years that anyone else has come close to setting them aside, and even now it is difficult to set them aside altogether.

If we think we have the ability to rise above our ancestors (whether by blood or in ideology) we have engaged in the worse pride there is. And it is a pride that comes to us through Modernity, which pretends that it can look to the past in an unbiased manner in order to overcome it. And what is established is a quaint mythology that makes us feel better about ourselves, and allows us to ignore the very sins inherent to our thought.

Christ didn't come in a new way. Christ himself was indebted to the prophets of Israel, and he came within the context of Israel, and he never displaced Israel for something else. If we cannot see that when Christ comes he is imbedded in the Creation (with contingencies and such), than we are as guilty as the gnostics who pretended that Christ is something else. Christ came in the flesh, and if we do not receive him in all the contingencies that the flesh entails, than we have not received Christ (as the early church was very serious about emphasizing).

We know nothing about Christ except through the tradition, for Christ must be handed down to us through the ages. And though we can gripe and moan about it, we are stuck with it. Augustine and Aquinas were much more wise than you are, for they did not pretend that they were closer to the beginning than those who came before them. You, Clete, would claim to know more about Christ 1400 years after Augustine, who was only a few hundred years out from Christ. And it is for this reason that the scriptures have been used in our age to justify atrocity. The scriptures have been united to the liberal project of the Nation-state, and you don't even realize it. As Haurwas puts it so bluntly: "It is the job of the church to take the Bible out of the hands of individual North American Christians...for they are far too corrupt to be reading the scriptures on their own."

It is not enough to read the scriptures. Anything we read can be forced to say what we want it to say. It is important that we first learn how to read, and then we will find that we must be transformed before we find ourselves within the narrative of the scriptures.

Peace,
Michael

Peace,
Michael

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
seekinganswers said:
And would it intrest you to know that for me my life now is held in God, as are the lives of all those who came before us (even those in the grave). And God's purpose for life in the future gives me hope for the future. The past, the present, and the future (telos or culmination) are held in God, while I am resigned to the present. But through Christ I am compelled to be united not only with those who come before me, but also in faithfulness to those who will come after me. God is greater than the now. If he holds the lives of all who came before us, than he is greater than the present. The question is whether God holds the future as well. In Christ that is assured (there is hope for the future; it is not uncertain). And it is the past, present and future reality of Christ that assure us of this hope.

God does not live in the present. God resides within God's own will, which encompasses time and space and the Creation itself.

Peace,
Michael

What does any of that mean?!!!

Why do you find it necessary to speak in code?

If you can unpack this and translate it into normal English, I'll read it with interest, otherwise it will get ignored along with 90% of everything else you say.

I don't understand why people want to intentionally make it difficult for others to understand them! :kookoo:

Resting in Him,
Clete