are you a feminist?

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
Hey look, this thread rose back from the ashes :rolleyes:

The 1st World is an adversarial mess of whiners and hypocrites, and feminism is one of the staple tragedies of current society.

If you go and look at other countries where traditional values are still respected, you see something quite different than this childish, mindless state of the elite 1st world. The men in this country have been brainwashed into thinking there's nothing wrong with a state in which women are a monolith of social vanity and are entitled to men's fruits before men themselves.

Arthur Brain

The 1st World is an adversarial mess of whiners and hypocrites, and feminism is one of the staple tragedies of current society.

If you go and look at other countries where traditional values are still respected, you see something quite different than this childish, mindless state of the elite 1st world. The men in this country have been brainwashed into thinking there's nothing wrong with a state in which women are a monolith of social vanity and are entitled to men's fruits before men themselves.

I bet you're one hell of a laugh on a night out...

:plain:

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I was watching the Rock 'n' Roll Marathon runners here yesterday, and I thought about Kathrine Switzer, and how she ran in the Boston Marathon in 1967 while one of its officials tried to pull her out, and failing that, tried to pull off her race number. He failed that too, because her boyfriend, running alongside her, knocked him sideways. :) I'd seen the photos earlier this year and was reminded by yesterday's race to go look them up. Well, I learned something new: while she was the first registered woman to run the Boston Marathon, she wasn't the first woman to run it, that honor goes to Bobbi Gibb, who ran the Boston Marathon as an unregistered participant the year before.

Bobbi Gibb, 1966

View attachment 24356

View attachment 24357
From wiki:
Gibb trained for two years to run the Boston Marathon, covering as much as 40 miles in one day.[11][15] On writing for an application in February 1966, she received a letter from the race director, Will Cloney, informing her that women were not physiologically capable of running marathon distances and that under the rules that governed amateur sports set out by the AAU, women were not allowed to run more than a mile and a half competitively. She realized that it was more important than ever to run and that her run would have a social significance far beyond just her own personal challenge. After three nights and four days on a bus from San Diego, California, Gibb arrived the day before the race at her parents' house in Winchester, Massachusetts.[15] On the morning of Patriots' Day, April 19, 1966, her mother dropped her off at the start in Hopkinton.[15] Wearing her brother’s Bermuda shorts and a blue hooded sweatshirt over a black, tanked-top swim suit, she hid in the bushes near the starting pen.[15] After the starting gun fired, she waited until about half the pack had started and then jumped into the race.[16]
The men soon realized that she was a woman. Encouraged by their friendliness and support, she removed her sweatshirt.[9] To her delight and relief, the crowds cheered to see a woman running. The press began to report on her progress towards Boston.
Diana Chapman Walsh, later President of Wellesley College, recalled the day years later:
That was my senior year at Wellesley. As I had done every spring since I arrived on campus, I went out to cheer the runners. But there was something different about that Marathon Day—like a spark down a wire, the word spread to all of us lining the route that a woman was running the course. For a while, the "screech tunnel" fell silent. We scanned face after face in breathless anticipation until just ahead of her, through the excited crowd, a ripple of recognition shot though the lines and we cheered as we never had before. We let out a roar that day, sensing that this woman had done more than just break the gender barrier in a famous race…[17]
By the time Gibb reached the finish line in Boston, the Governor of Massachusetts, John Volpe, was there to shake her hand. She finished in three hours, twenty-one minutes and forty seconds,[13] ahead of two-thirds of the runners.​

Kathrine Switzer, 1967

View attachment 24358
From wiki:
Afterwards, Boston Athletic Association director Will Cloney was asked his opinion of Switzer competing in the race. Cloney said, "Women can't run in the Marathon because the rules forbid it. Unless we have rules, society will be in chaos. I don't make the rules, but I try to carry them out. We have no space in the Marathon for any unauthorized person, even a man. If that girl were my daughter, I would spank her."[5]

Because of her run, the AAU barred women from all competitions with male runners, violaters to lose the right to compete in any races.[13] Switzer, with other women runners, tried to convince the Boston Athletic Association to allow women to participate in the marathon. Finally, in 1972, women were welcome to run the Boston Marathon officially for the first time ever.[3] Jock Semple, the man who had previously attempted to remove Switzer from the race, was instrumental in this formal admission of female runners.[14]

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
And here you are to show yours.

If your posts were presented as evidence they might single-handedly tilt the field against public education.

The men in this country have been brainwashed into thinking there's nothing wrong with a state in which women are a monolith of social vanity and are entitled to men's fruits before men themselves.
That sounds serious until you start shaking the tree.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Bumping one of my favorite threads. :)

attachment.php

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
First woman to officially run Boston Marathon back at it -- 50 years later

More than 30,000 runners registered to take part in today’s 121st Boston Marathon, and nearly 14,000 of them are women.
Among them is Kathrine Switzer, who 50 years ago became the first woman to register and officially cross the finish line of the Boston Marathon. She didn’t set out to shatter stereotypes or change the culture of sports forever -- but that’s exactly what she did.

“I didn’t plan to do anything but try to cover 26 miles, 385 yards,” Switzer said.

. . . .

“All of a sudden I heard a scraping sound… and I turned and I suddenly looked into the face of the angriest guy I had ever seen. This guy was out of control. He was snarling at me,” Switzer recalled.

That out-of-control guy was one of the race organizers, Jock Semple.

“And he grabbed me and he screamed, ‘Get the hell out of my race.’ I was just terrified,” Switzer said. “He said, ‘Give me those numbers, give me those numbers!’ He went after the one on my back and as he went for that, my burly boyfriend who was running alongside -- 235 pound, ex-All American football player -- took out the official just like that and sent him flying. And my coach said, ‘Run like hell.’”

. . . .

Kathrine-Switzer.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

BOSTON-MARATHON-3-partpress-quality.jpg

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
70% of Women Who Get Abortions Identify as Christians, Survey Finds

Over 40 percent of women who have had an abortion say they were frequent churchgoers at the time they ended their pregnancies and about a half of them say they kept their abortions hidden from church members, new LifeWay Research shows.

In a survey released Monday that was sponsored by the pregnancy center support organization Care Net, researchers from the Christian research group LifeWay found that about 70 percent of women who had an abortion self-identified as Christians, while 43 percent say they attended a Christian church at least once per month or more at the time they aborted their child.