ARCHIVE: Open Theism part 3

assuranceagent

The difference, if I understand both points correctly, is that one is rational the other is not.

God can take any physical form He desires but He cannot make you love Him. There is nothing inherently self-contradictory about God taking on the physical form of a frog or causing a donkey to speak but there very definitely is something inherently contradictory about God making you love Him.

If you don't believe that I feel sorry for you because it means you do not understand what it means to love someone.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Did I mention the word, "love", Clete?

Would you agree that sanctification is the process of God bringing the Christian's will into conformity with His own?

Do you find anything self-contradictory in that?

Do you believe that God, who's triune nature is established as Father, Son, Holy Spirit, for eternity can take on a form contrary to His nature, thereby adding a fourth member of the godhead such that He is now Father, Son, Holy Spirit, and Frog? :squint:

You find nothing inherently self-contradictory in that, Clete? :rolleyes:

Do you believe, as you said, that it is within God's nature to do the absurd?

Because if so, then I feel sorry for you. Because your understanding of the nature of God is badly perverted.

By the way, Clete. Assertions don't equal arguments. To toss a 'Cleteism' back at you, "something isn't so simply because you say it is."

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Did I mention the word, "love", Clete?
Unless you are suggesting that it is not God's will that we love Him then I'd say, yes, you did.

Would you agree that sanctification is the process of God bringing the Christian's will into conformity with His own?
No

Do you find anything self-contradictory in that?
There is nothing in the entire Christian paradigm that is not self-contradictory from a Calvinist perspective - nothing.

Do you believe that God, who's triune nature is established as Father, Son, Holy Spirit, for eternity can take on a form contrary to His nature, thereby adding a fourth member of the godhead such that He is now Fahter, Son, Holy Spirit, And Frog? :squint:
No, that would be irrational.

You find nothing inherently self-contradictory in that, Clete? :rolleyes:
If that was the point being made concerning God becoming a frog then CJ37 needs to express himself more clearly. I do not believe that was the point he was making though because he followed it up immediately with the concept of making a donkey speak. I don't believe he was attempting to suggest that God could become something other than God.

I would point out, however, that if you had a scale where God is on one end and frogs are on the other, we are much closer to the frog side of that spectrum (i.e. we are creature not creators). And God the Son chose to become a man and remains one to this very day. He remains God the Son but He wasn't always a man and His becoming a man wasn't in any way irrational (i.e. self-contradictory) or else it could not have happened.

Do you believe, as you said, that it is within God's nature to do the absurd?
No. The fact that it is absurd means that it cannot be done - period.

Because if so, then I feel sorry for you. Because your understanding of the nature of God is badly perverted.
Then I have nothing to worry about.

By the way, Clete. Assertions don't equal arguments. To toss a 'Cleteism' back at you, "something isn't so simply because you say it is."
Actually the Cleteism is "Saying it doesn't make it so!"

And I made no bald assertions. If/then statements are arguments by definition, perhaps not formal ones but arguments nonetheless. If you would like to refute them then I invite you to do so.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
The difference, if I understand both points correctly, is that one is rational the other is not.

God can take any physical form He desires but He cannot make you love Him. There is nothing inherently self-contradictory about God taking on the physical form of a frog or causing a donkey to speak but there very definitely is something inherently contradictory about God making you love Him.

If you don't believe that I feel sorry for you because it means you do not understand what it means to love someone.

Resting in Him,
Clete

It would be contradictory to His nature, true, but to say God is incapable of anything is to reduce God to something imaginable as smaller. No doubt we trust in God’s nature, for we must to have faith. Outside of this, we can also apprehend that God is all able, He could have made Adam without the potential to sin, but doing so, contradicts His Divine plan for His creation.

assuranceagent

Unless you are suggesting that it is not God's will that we love Him then I'd say, yes, you did.

Sorry, Clete. I forget how broadly you generalize and how badly you read your preconceptions into the opinions of others. Let me clarify. And I'll try to type really slowly for you...

It isn't necessary to assume that by 'will' I mean the totality of all that encompasses. It is possible for us to understand God's will on this or that issue and evaluate it apart from the totality of those things which are under His will.

For instance, let's assume that God wanted a man to prophesy to the Ninevites and that man willed otherwise. Is God capable of bringing that man into conformity with His will? Is He capable of changing His mind?

Or consider another situation. Let's assume that God wanted a man to preach the gospel to the gentiles. Hypothetically, of course. And let's further assume that man, though He loved God, was a zealous persecutor of the Church and thus wanted nothing to do with the Gospel. Could God bring that man's will into conformity with His own on that issue? Could God change His mind?

Really. :rolleyes:

Define sanctification for me, Clete. What does it mean to be conformed to the image of Christ?

There is nothing in the entire Christian paradigm that is not self-contradictory from a Calvinist perspective - nothing.

Then I have nothing to worry about. :plain:

assuranceagent said:
Do you believe that God, who's triune nature is established as Father, Son, Holy Spirit, for eternity can take on a form contrary to His nature, thereby adding a fourth member of the godhead such that He is now Fahter, Son, Holy Spirit, And Frog?
Clete said:
No, that would be irrational.
Clete said:
There is nothing inherently self-contradictory about God taking on the physical form of a frog

:confused: :doh:

If that was the point being made concerning God becoming a frog then CJ37 needs to express himself more clearly. I do not believe that was the point he was making though because he followed it up immediately with the concept of making a donkey speak. I don't believe he was attempting to suggest that God could become something other than God.

Unless it was a frog? :rolleyes:

I would point out, however, that if you had a scale where God is on one end and frogs are on the other, we are much closer to the frog side of that spectrum (i.e. we are creature not creators). And God the Son chose to become a man and remains one to this very day. He remains God the Son but He wasn't always a man and His becoming a man wasn't in any way irrational (i.e. self-contradictory) or else it could not have happened.

Neither was it in contradiction with His revealed nature.

No. The fact that it is absurd means that it cannot be done - period.

And by this I can only assume you mean except in cases where it is a rational thing to do, like you pointed out above... :freak:

Then I have nothing to worry about.

Apart from consistency and intellectual honesty, I wholly agree! :thumb:

Actually the Cleteism is "Saying it doesn't make it so!"

My mistake. I messed up the wording and left off the exclamation point. :plain:

And I made no bald assertions. If/then statements are arguments by definition, perhaps not formal ones but arguments nonetheless. If you would like to refute them then I invite you to do so.

You baldly asserted that God could not make you love Him which, without arguing the issue, begs the question.

Care to provide basis for that bald assertion?

Doing mental gymnastics in Him,
Clete

:e4e:

Last edited:

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
It would be contradictory to His nature, true, but to say God is incapable of anything is to reduce God to something imaginable as smaller. No doubt we trust in God’s nature, for we must to have faith. Outside of this, we can also apprehend that God is all able, He could have made Adam without the potential to sin, but doing so, contradicts His Divine plan for His creation.

God CANNOT do the rationally absurd.

If you reject that single axiom, the result is that the following words have no meaning...

Reality
Truth
False
Justice
Love

If the God that calls Himself Truth can do the rationally absurd, then truth is falsehood, righteousness is evil, reality is fiction, love is hate and justice is perversion. Or vise-versa!

The book of John chapter one verse one teaches us that God the Son is the very incarnation of Reason. To suggest that God can be irrational is blasphemy! The irrational is the very antithesis of God for God is Logic incarnate.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Last edited:

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
assuranceagent,

You are an idiot.

You are incapable of rational discussion. You are a terrific example of the reason I left this place to begin with and you very simply are not worth the effort.

I will waste no more time with such as you.
With this sentence I've responded to you for the last time.

Resting in Him,
Clete

assuranceagent

assuranceagent,

You are an idiot.

You are incapable of rational discussion. You are a terrific example of the reason I left this place to begin with.

With this sentence I've responded to you for the last time.

Resting in Him,
Clete

:rotfl: it only took two posts this time! That may be a new record for me!

Clete,

You are a frighteningly unstable emotional trainwreck with anger management issues.

You are incapable of rational discussion. You made a terrific decision in leaving this place to begin with.

With this sentence I'll point out that I never addressed you to begin with save for in response to your imposition on my comments to someone else. I hope you're true to your word. It's just too bad you couldn't have come to these conclusions before you ever ventured to post your self-contradictory drivel addressed to me in the first place. Assuming you're good to your word, I'll be happy to return the favor. You don't bada me and I won't bada you. :thumb:

Still eyeing that chip on your shoulder,

AA :e4e:

No love lost, brother.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
CJ37,

I wanted to make sure you didn't miss my previous post on this thread where I asked...

If God can do the absurd (i.e. the irrational), as you seem to be arguing in this thread, what truth claim about God can be falsified?

Resting in Him,
Clete

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
God CANNOT do the rationally absurd.

If you reject that single axiom, the result is that the following words have no meaning...

Reality
Truth
False
Justice
Love

If the God that calls Himself Truth can do the rationally absurd, then truth is falsehood, righteousness is evil, reality is fiction, love is hate and justice is perversion. Or vise-versa!

The book of John chapter one verse one teaches us that God the Son is the very incarnation of Reason. To suggest that God can be irrational is blasphemy! The irrational is the very antithesis of God for God is Logic incarnate.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Beware my brother; it is out of love I speak, please listen, God can do. What God does is according to His wishes, but do not confuse that with your rational limitations. God is the Creator and as the Creator He can do what seems absurd to you. Know this, as it is only right I say this, do not limit God to your horizons, for God is beyond human rationally. If not, faith would be a simple task, to believe only what is logical to you. Do not face judgment in this simple rational thought; have faith that God can do all. His propose is revealed in scripture, but do not try to limit Him to what seems rational to you.

Jesus died on the cross for you, it was not rational giving His ability, that is why so many have forsaken Him, yet why Jesus did this, was to complete the Word of God, so we mere humans might understand.

penofareadywriter

This thread will be a continuation of the thread ARCHIVE: Open Theism pt. 2

Which at the time of this posting had 8,094 replies and almost 154,954 views! yet because of the size of the thread it had grown sluggish therefore we shut it down and opened part 3 here!

Enjoy and lets get back to the discussion!

The future.... is it completely settled in advance or open to an extent?

Just going to try and come back to the ?.... I believe if the Bible was read without Calvy glasses on, I believe that the future is open,to some extent, is a major motif in the holy writ.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Beware my brother; it is out of love I speak, please listen, God can do. What God does is according to His wishes, but do not confuse that with your rational limitations. God is the Creator and as the Creator He can do what seems absurd to you. Know this, as it is only right I say this, do not limit God to your horizons, for God is beyond human rationally. If not, faith would be a simple task, to believe only what is logical to you. Do not face judgment in this simple rational thought; have faith that God can do all. His propose is revealed in scripture, but do not try to limit Him to what seems rational to you.

Jesus died on the cross for you, it was not rational giving His ability, that is why so many have forsaken Him, yet why Jesus did this, was to complete the Word of God, so we mere humans might understand.

There is nothing irrational about redemption or God's supernatural ability.

There is a logical contradiction/absurdity about square circles, so this is no limitation of omnipotence to not be able to make them. Secular and Christian thinkers do not deny this self-evident truth, so don't be irrational and try to argue that God can make square circles.

penofareadywriter

There is a logical contradiction/absurdity about square circles, so this is no limitation of omnipotence to not be able to make them. Secular and Christian thinkers do not deny this self-evident truth, so don't be irrational and try to argue that God can make square circles.

Hey man, I just sent you that Greg Boyd e-mail to your hotmail! Let me know what you think.

assuranceagent

Just going to try and come back to the ?.... I believe if the Bible was read without Calvy glasses on, I believe that the future is open,to some extent, is a major motif in the holy writ.

Classical theism is not exclusive to Calvinism. Arminians agree on God's exhaustive foreknowledge as well as do frakly ALL other perspectives save for the Open View.

Not arguing the point, just making it clear that the settled view is not inherently Calvinist in nature.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Excellent! :first:

penofareadywriter

Classical theism is not exclusive to Calvinism. Arminians agree on God's exhaustive foreknowledge as well as do frakly ALL other perspectives save for the Open View.

Not arguing the point, just making it clear that the settled view is not inherently Calvinist in nature.

Oh totally! I probably should not use Calvinisum in such a all inclusive way.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame

I have said nothing about squared circles my good friend. I point out that God can do anything. God has a plan for us, we hopefully follow His plan, but we are not to make statements that God could not do contrary to His plan, if He had chosen. This leads nowhere but to doubt. Have faith, God’s plan is for your salivation. Do not try to be godly and decipher God’s plan, just have the faith to follow it. Keep in mind what Jesus said about salivation, be like innocent children

penofareadywriter

I have said nothing about squared circles my good friend. I point out that God can do anything. God has a plan for us, we hopefully follow His plan, but we are not to make statements that God could not do contrary to His plan, if He had chosen. This leads nowhere but to doubt. Have faith, God’s plan is for your salivation. Do not try to be godly and decipher God’s plan, just have the faith to follow it. Keep in mind what Jesus said about salivation, be like innocent children

? for you. How do you cohisively seperate(or do you?) predestination from EDF? Let me know if you want me to elaborate.
Hope all is well today. (I heard you were not feeling well!)