ARCHIVE: Open Theism part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobE

Untrue Prophecies Collide!

Untrue Prophecies Collide!

Bob Hill said:
The Open View of God maintains that some of God’s prophecies do not come true. Why? Because God changes His mind. There are also some prophecies in the Bible that never actually came true. One example is the destruction of Nineveh. God changed His mind.

In Isaiah 5:1-7, God explained the problem with Israel in this way: He expected good grapes, but instead got wild grapes.

Isaiah 5:1-7 Now let me sing to my Well-beloved a song of my Beloved regarding His vineyard: My Well-beloved has a vineyard On a very fruitful hill. 2 He dug it up and cleared out its stones, and planted it with the choicest vine. He built a tower in its midst, and also made a winepress in it. So He expected it to bring forth good grapes, but it brought forth wild grapes. 3 “And now, O inhabitants of Jerusalem and men of Judah, judge, please, between Me and My vineyard. 4 What more could have been done to My vineyard that I have not done in it? Why then, when I expected it to bring forth good grapes, did it bring forth wild grapes? 5 And now, please let Me tell you what I will do to My vineyard: I will take away its hedge, and it shall be burned; And break down its wall, and it shall be trampled down. 6 I will lay it waste; It shall not be pruned or dug, but there shall come up briers and thorns. I will also command the clouds That they rain no rain on it.” 7 For the vineyard of the LORD of hosts is the house of Israel, and the men of Judah are His pleasant plant. He looked for justice, but behold, oppression; For righteousness, but behold, a cry for help.

In Christ,
Bob Hill

True prophecy always comes to pass unless what? God changes His mind?

Question: How does changing one's mind change oneself?

Question: How does this defeat foresight vs. foreordination which are both debated forms of foreknowledge?

Yours,

Rob

Last edited:

elected4ever

godrulz
Your concept of a static God that foists unilateral things on creation is a lesser concept of God and to in line with a literal reading of Scripture.
How does God using deception make God a lesser god? How does your explaining away scripture make the scripture more accurate?

RobE

Bob Hill said:
I would like to see what elected4ever says about the Tyre material.

Bob Hill

Tyre was destroyed by Alexander just as God described its destruction.

Wikipedia said:
Siege of Tyre

In 332 BC, Alexander the Great set out to conquer Tyre, a strategic coastal base in the war between the Greeks and the Persians. Unable to storm the city, he blockaded Tyre for seven months, but Tyre held on. Alexander used the debris of the abandoned mainland city to build a causeway and once within reach of the city walls, he used his siege engines to batter and finally breach the fortifications. It is said that Alexander was so enraged at the Tyrians' defense and the loss of his men that he destroyed half the city. The town's 30,000 residents were massacred or sold into slavery.

Exekiel 26 said:
7 “For thus says the Lord GOD: ‘Behold, I will bring against Tyre from the north Nebuchadnezzar[a] king of Babylon, king of kings, with horses, with chariots, and with horsemen, and an army with many people. 8 He will slay with the sword your daughter villages in the fields; he will heap up a siege mound against you, build a wall against you, and raise a defense against you.

Neb. didn't destroy it because of this:

Jeremiah 27 said:
11 But if any nation will bow its neck under the yoke of the king of Babylon and serve him, I will let that nation remain in its own land to till it and to live there, declares the LORD.

Thanks,

Rob

RobE

elected4ever said:
godrulz How does God using deception make God a lesser god? How does your explaining away scripture make the scripture more accurate?

:eek:

A lesser god would be described as NOT all-powerful, NOT all-knowing, etc.....

Who does this sound like? Everyone says God is powerful enough to do whatever He wants. Open Theists dispute that He would want to be deceptive. I agree. Manipulative would be the better word from my understanding.

Yours,

RobE

Don't misunderstand me. I think that Godrulz has many logical points. It's just I think he doesn't always see where they are pointing to. I actually consider him one of the most reliable people on TOL.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
elected4ever said:
godrulz How does God using deception make God a lesser god? How does your explaining away scripture make the scripture more accurate?

The Open View takes all relevant passages literally (God knows and settles some of the future, while some of it is open, unsettled, and known as possible vs actual/certain until it becomes real). The closed view correctly takes the closed verses literally, while being forced to take the open passages (including God changing His mind) figuratively or anthropomorphically. This is indefensible exegesis and deductive reasoning.

Who explains away the face value meaning of Scripture? Closed view. Open view recognizes figures of speech in context. There is no reason to think God's self-revelation is not what it appears to be except to support a preconceived theology.

Who says God uses deception? God is truthful and righteous.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
elected4ever said:
Godrulz previous Post:loser: :rotfl:

Ouch. What part tickled your funny bone? Dr. Gregory Boyd has listed the texts that support the settled aspect and the unsettled aspect. You will favor the closed texts and dismiss the open texts. Is this defensible? Change your view, not the Word of God.

Last edited:

elected4ever

godrulz said:
Ouch. What part tickled your funny bone? Dr. Gregory Boyd has listed the texts that support the settled aspect and the closed aspect. You will favor the closed texts and dismiss the open texts. Is this defensible? Change your view, not the Word of God.
I have dismissed no text but apparently you have. You seem to dismiss the part of God that doesn't agree with you. No attribute of God can be dismissed at the expense of another no matter how distasteful that attribute may be to you.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
elected4ever said:
I have dismissed no text but apparently you have. You seem to dismiss the part of God that doesn't agree with you. No attribute of God can be dismissed at the expense of another no matter how distasteful that attribute may be to you.

I affirm all of the attributes of God. Sovereignty does not have to mean meticulous control. Omniscience means that God knows all that is knowable, just as omnipotence is being able to do all that is doable (some things are logically contradictory). Immutability does not have to be absolute (an unchanging being is not personal). Impassibility is contrary to God's revelation as evidenced by the incarnation and life of Jesus. Philosophical influences have tainted some of classical understanding of attributes. Augustine was suspect on some points.

Which attributes do I reject? Rejecting a wrong definition or understanding of an attribute is not tantamount to rejecting God's true nature and character. Specific examples are more helpful that vague ad hominem slurs.

(note: correction to my post= settled vs unsettled; closed vs open).

elected4ever

godrulz said:
I affirm all of the attributes of God. Sovereignty does not have to mean meticulous control. Omniscience means that God knows all that is knowable, just as omnipotence is being able to do all that is doable (some things are logically contradictory). Immutability does not have to be absolute (an unchanging being is not personal). Impassibility is contrary to God's revelation as evidenced by the incarnation and life of Jesus. Philosophical influences have tainted some of classical understanding of attributes. Augustine was suspect on some points.

Which attributes do I reject? Rejecting a wrong definition or understanding of an attribute is not tantamount to rejecting God's true nature and character. Specific examples are more helpful that vague ad homonym slurs.

(note: correction to my post= settled vs unsettled; closed vs open).
Sovereignty =Completely independent and self Governing. Any entity that has anything less than complete control over their affairs is not sovereign.

Immutability = Not subject to change. If something changes then it is not Immutable.

Omniscience = Having total knowledge. Having a lack of knowledge is not Omniscience

omnipotence = Unlimited Power. If power has a limitation then it is not omnipotence.

Impassibility = Not subject to suffering or pain. No where do I see that God is impassive. Quite the opposite is true.

We have but a limited understanding of these concepts but God cannot be limited by human understandings. For example, God is a righteous God. According to human understanding, righteous means morally straight and just. That begs the question , by whose reckoning. God is righteous because He is His own standard and can never cease to be. God's acts are righteous regardless of human open of them wither it is manipulating an evil person or blessing His children. There is no moral standard that can be applied.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
elected4ever said:
Sovereignty =Completely independent and self Governing. Any entity that has anything less than complete control over their affairs is not sovereign.
According to this definition the God of the Bible is not sovereign...
Acts 7:51 “You stiff-necked and uncircumcised in heart and ears! You always resist the Holy Spirit; as your fathers did, so do you.​

Immutability = Not subject to change. If something changes then it is not Immutable.
According to this definition, the God of the Bible is not immutable...

John1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. 4 In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. 5 And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.

14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.​

Omniscience = Having total knowledge. Having a lack of knowledge is not Omniscience
According to this definition, the God of the Bible is not Omniscient...

Jeremiah 19:5 (they have also built the high places of Baal, to burn their sons with fire for burnt offerings to Baal, which I did not command or speak, nor did it come into My mind),

Jeremiah 32:35 And they built the high places of Baal which are in the Valley of the Son of Hinnom, to cause their sons and their daughters to pass through the fire to Molech, which I did not command them, nor did it come into My mind that they should do this abomination, to cause Judah to sin.’​

omnipotence = Unlimited Power. If power has a limitation then it is not omnipotence.
According to this definition the God of the Bible IS Omnipotent! :BRAVO: You got one right!

Impassibility = Not subject to suffering or pain. No where do I see that God is impassive. Quite the opposite is true.
According to this definition God IS NOT impassible! You've gotten a second one correct! Way to go! Most Calvinist don't do nearly this well! :BRAVO:
It is, unfortunately logically incompatible with the several you've gotten wrong. :(

You forgot Omnipresent! I would guess that your definition would go something like this…
Clete's guess as to how e4e would define Omnipresence
Omnipresence = Being in all places at once for all of time and eternity. If there is ever any place where God is not then He is not omnipresent.
According to this definition the God of the Bible is not omnipresent…
Genesis 18:21 I will go down now and see whether they have done altogether according to the outcry against it that has come to Me; and if not, I will know.”

Luke 13:27 But He will say, ‘I tell you I do not know you, where you are from. Depart from Me, all you workers of iniquity.’​

We have but a limited understanding of these concepts but God cannot be limited by human understandings.
We can understand contradiction when we see it. This is simply a burry you head in the sand maneuver. You've effectively said, I don't care about how much sense my theology makes, I'll believe it anyway. That's not Biblical, it's not pious, its not wise, it's not Godly and it is illadvised. You should repent.

For example, God is a righteous God. According to human understanding, righteous means morally straight and just. That begs the question , by whose reckoning. God is righteous because He is His own standard and can never cease to be. God's acts are righteous regardless of human open of them wither it is manipulating an evil person or blessing His children. There is no moral standard that can be applied.
You're wrong. Bob Enyart addressed this exact issue very eloquently in Battle Royale VII. I've quoted the relavent excerpt below...

Bob Enyart Battle Royale VII post 7b (excerpt) said:
4) God’s Accountability to an Unchanging Standard: This section goes beyond the point in the Absolute Nature of Laws section above, where Zakath said that I hold to an “anything goes” morality and that for this morality, “by definition, good and evil exist only at the whim of the deity.” (Interestingly, atheists often do this with humans, justifying homosexuality as an inborn nature, denying the personal responsibility of drug addicts, and some even defending rapists and murderers as simply living out their natures.) Zakath then carried this one step further claiming that therefore: “…no action performed by God can be out of his character;” that is, because if God does something, then by definition it is in His nature to do it, and we theists would also declare anything He does as righteous. So Zakath misrepresented my position by implying that I had not already responded to this. He ignored an important clarification in my post:

Bob: “God could not do evil (anything against the present description of His nature), and remain holy.”

Why did I insert the word present into the above sentence? Zakath, if you read carefully, I will resolve Euthyphro’s Dilemma for Plato and Socrates, and deny you the honest use of it in the future. But Zakath, if while reading this section you allow your mind to fly through a thousand counter arguments, without discipline, you will once again fail to even understand the point. So please put your auto-pilot Bible rebuttal mode in its upright and locked position, and first comprehend this new material.

God’s nature is not sufficiently pliable that it could embrace truth and perjury, private property and theft, loyalty and disloyalty, and punishing and rewarding of the same behavior. Thus, God could conceivably violate His own nature, because once His nature is described (in what becomes a definition of righteousness), then anything God does contrary to that description would correctly be deemed as unrighteous. For example, using the biblical paradigm, if Jesus Christ gave into temptation by submitting to evil and worshipping Satan, then He would not have remained righteous.

It is not that anything God conceivably could do would therefore be moral, just because He did it. It is that we expect God to remain steadfastly good, consistent with the existing description of His nature. God does not save those who trust Him because He has no choice, but because He wills to, but if He willed to embrace evil (as described currently by His nature) then He would no longer be the righteous God. Quoting the overlooked sentence again:

“God could not do evil (anything against the present description of His nature), and remain holy.” Thus, moral inconsistency is an absolute determinant for wrong. Plato and Socrates missed this important test partly because their dialogue was replete with mentions of Greek gods who, as Socrates noted, contradicted one another as to goodness. Thus the contradictions within the mythical pantheon of Greece falsified any claim of absolute morality made by Euthyphro on behalf of his gods and goddesses. But Plato recorded this dialogue without the knowledge that you possess Zakath, that of the claim of a Christian God who has no such internal inconsistency. God does not fight within Himself about what is right and wrong; but if He ever did, then He would no longer remain the holy God. And there is nothing remotely circular about this. We look for inconsistencies in courtroom testimony because inconsistencies reveal lies and deceptions. Thus consistency is a necessary property of righteousness (and thus of being right). “A faithful witness does not lie, but a false witness will utter lies [and inconsistencies]” (Proverbs 14:5). Again, moral inconsistency is a litmus test for evil. Thus a religious book like the Bible generally claims in forty passages that the steadfast love of the Lord never changes in that He is faithful, that is, He is consistent.

Humans are social beings, and our morality magnifies itself in our actions toward others. But because we are social beings, even actions committed against ourselves affect others, as for example when we hurt ourselves to manipulate others, like Gandhi did; or even the person seeking to escape his own pain by committing suicide, who hurts those around him. Thus because morality is social, a social God who interacts with multiple persons has an additional context in which to objectively demonstrate His morality. Let me illustrate the implications of this using the Christian conception of the Trinitarian God, Father, Son and Spirit, three persons in one God. If God is a Trinitarian God, then He has an eternal track record of interaction between the persons of the Godhead. And if during that eternal fellowship, if any moral inconsistency appeared, then God would be objectively evil. But an atheist may ask, “What if there was no inconsistency because this God is consistently evil?” A God with other persons to interact with has other frames of reference, that is, other perspectives from which to declare Himself. Thus if the Son willingly submits to the Father, because He implicitly trusts the Father from whom He has never experienced harm, and the Spirit brings glory to the Son, because He has never felt threatened by the Son, and the Father loves the Son and the Spirit, never having His wellbeing jeopardized by either, then “by the mouth of two or three witnesses the matter shall be established.” Thus even though it is the only standard He has ever known, God the Father can determine that His own standard is righteous because He has never violated it, and because the independent persons of the Son and the Spirit testify that the Father has never violated their own self-interests [Luke 16:12].

This process is greatly amplified when God creates other beings, and as He reveals Himself to them in various ways. For, He must behave toward them in their own best interest, or else He violates His own standard of love. And He must punish those who hurt others, or else He violates His own standard of justice. And if God’s intention was not for the welfare but for the harm of created eternal beings, then He would have violated His own declared standard.

Thus while moral inconsistency indicates wickedness, eternal consistency proves either continuous good or continuous evil; and multiple perspectives from independent persons provide information regarding whether God acts on behalf of, or against, their best interests. Of course, an atheist will accuse the Bible’s God, if He exists, of endless evils, but since atheists deny any system of absolute morality, for their logical argument to succeed, they would have to show that the concept of the Christian God is internally inconsistent, violating His own standard of righteousness.

In his talk, “Why I Am Not a Christian,” Bertrand Russell wrote that: “if you are quite sure there is a difference between right and wrong, then you are in this situation: Is that difference due to God’s fiat [arbitrary decree] or is it not? If it is due to God’s fiat, then for God himself there is no difference between right and wrong, and it is no longer a significant statement to say that God is good. If you are going to say, as theologians do, that God is good, you must then say that right and wrong have some meaning which is independent of God’s fiat, because God’s fiats are good and not bad independently of the mere fact that he made them. If you are going to say that, you will then have to say that it is not only through God that right and wrong came into being, but that they are in their essence logically anterior to God.”

Plato, Socrates, Bertrand Russell… morons. (Actually, I’m just quoting from Princess Bride, one of our favorite movies.) Well, not morons, but fools yes, because they denied the Creator. Because of their prejudice against God, their fertile minds did not conceive of the simple possibility that a description of God’s nature is independent of His nature itself, and thus, God could hold Himself to that description of His nature, which description I admit initially existed only within Himself, but after Creation it would exist in any of the manifest ways in which God has revealed Himself. And so, right and wrong are not due to God’s arbitrary decrees, but flow from the description of His nature, a description which He could theoretically violate. Thus, the system of morality based upon God is not logically unsound as claimed by atheists.

Because Zakath uncritically accepted the popular atheist use of the Euthyphro Dilemma, he summed up its challenge this way: “In the question of whether or not God can be the source for ‘absolute morals,’ the choice for the theist boils down to this, choose between: admitting that he has no real standard of morality, only a morality based upon the slavery of blindly following orders; or admitting that God is not the source of morality.”

Resting in Him,
Clete

Last edited:

elected4ever

Clete said:
Acts 7:51 “You stiff-necked and uncircumcised in heart and ears! You always resist the Holy Spirit; as your fathers did, so do you.​

John1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. 4 In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. 5 And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.

14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.​

Jeremiah 19:5 (they have also built the high places of Baal, to burn their sons with fire for burnt offerings to Baal, which I did not command or speak, nor did it come into My mind),

Jeremiah 32:35 And they built the high places of Baal which are in the Valley of the Son of Hinnom, to cause their sons and their daughters to pass through the fire to Molech, which I did not command them, nor did it come into My mind that they should do this abomination, to cause Judah to sin.’​

According to this definition the God of the Bible IS Omnipotent! :BRAVO: You got one right!

According to this definition God IS NOT impassible! You've gotten a second one correct! Way to go! Most Calvinist don't do nearly this well! :BRAVO:
It is, unfortunately logically incompatible with the several you've gotten wrong. :(

You forgot Omnipresent! I would guess that your definition would go something like this…

Genesis 18:21 I will go down now and see whether they have done altogether according to the outcry against it that has come to Me; and if not, I will know.”

Luke 13:27 But He will say, ‘I tell you I do not know you, where you are from. Depart from Me, all you workers of iniquity.’​

We can understand contradiction when we see it. This is simply a burry you head in the sand maneuver. You've effectively said, I don't care about how much sense my theology makes, I'll believe it anyway. That's not Biblical, it's not pious, its not wise, it's not Godly and it is illadvised. You should repent.

You're wrong. Bob Enyart addressed this exact issue very eloquently in Battle Royale VII. I've quoted the relavent excerpt below...

Resting in Him,
Clete
Bob is wrong, you are a total flake and I am not a Calvinist. I don't think you know what the word,holy, means and you certainly have no idea what righteousness is. Sometimes I wonder if you are able to distinguish between God and Zeus.

Shalom

Clete said:

Resting in Him,
Clete

E4E is wrong and Cletes post is awesome. :thumb:

God_Is_Truth

elected4ever said:
Bob is wrong, you are a total flake and I am not a Calvinist. I don't think you know what the word,holy, means and you certainly have no idea what righteousness is. Sometimes I wonder if you are able to distinguish between God and Zeus.

ad hominem, red herring.

both are irrelevent. if you can't refute the post, then don't waste time by making posts like this. either embrace the evidence or go somewhere else.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
elected4ever said:
Bob is wrong, you are a total flake...
Saying it doesn't make it so.

...and I am not a Calvinist.
That would explain why you did better than most Calvinists on your previous post.

I don't think you know what the word,holy, means
I'm not interested in what you think but in what you are able to establish Biblically.

...and you certainly have no idea what righteousness is.
Saying it doesn't make it so.

Sometimes I wonder if you are able to distinguish between God and Zeus.
I know almost nothing about Zeus but I am familiar with the God presented in the Scripture which, as I showed clearly in my previous post, bears little resemblence to your definitions of His supposed attributes.

Resting in Him,
Clete

elected4ever

God_Is_Truth said:
ad hominem, red herring.

both are irrelevent. if you can't refute the post, then don't waste time by making posts like this. either embrace the evidence or go somewhere else.
I did't pull your chain so butt out.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
elected4ever said:
ad hominem, red herring.

God_Is_Truth

Clete said:
ad hominem, red herring.

nice choice of words Clete ;)

elected4ever

Shalom said:
E4E is wrong and Cletes post is awesome. :thumb:
So you also agree with Clete that God is not sovereign. God is not in control. God does not know. God can be tricked and surprised. God has to respond to man and change his mind and make less than perfect decisions.God acts spontaneous out of love or anger so his decisions are tainted. Waite a minute, are we talking about God or Zeus or some other mythical god. You OVers are pathetic.

What scripture did Clete quote that God did not know from the beginning as to what would happen and make part of His plane from the beginning? When God reveals Himself to man through the scripture he communicates that revelation in terms that man can understand. How does this detract from God and make hem less than He is and that those who clam to be His children assign Him a status no higher that any pagan god. Such a God as you describe I wont no part of. Such a god as you describe cannot be trusted to keep his word. It all terns into myth and our hope is in vain and all this is good to you. You can have your mythical god. As for me I will trust the only true God for He is able to keep all that I have committed to His.

Status
Not open for further replies.