ARCHIVE: Open Theism part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

patman

Lonster said:
Post # where the discussion started? (I'm on page 20ish I think so far).

Wow, you really want in our heads eh?

I have been a member for a while, but I wasn't a regular poster until BRX, where I began posting with:

http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=879285&postcount=254

That is #254 from: http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22570

This is where me and Lee began to bunt heads:) who knows, you might like lee?? That little kiddy Little flaming smiley face kept me from getting too mad at him for some reason.

RobE was another one who I used to discuss this. Rob had more respect from me as discussing things went, I just couldn't get him to see my side of things.

Then we all left that thead and came here and picked back up with 3163 .

It's a lot of reading :sleep:. I hope I didn't say anything too dumb:(

RobE

patman said:

I have been a member for a while, but I wasn't a regular poster until BRX, where I began posting with:

This is where me and Lee began to bunt heads:) who knows, you might like lee?? That little kiddy Little flaming smiley face kept me from getting too mad at him for some reason.

RobE was another one who I used to discuss this. Rob had more respect from me as discussing things went, I just couldn't get him to see my side of things.

I'm still around. :wave2:

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Lonster said:
Thanks. Spelling error noted. I SOOOO wish this forum had a spell checker. I genrally spel purty gud, bot fergiv mee wan eye du mack eh mistaik.

In your pride you could have mocked me and said it was a typo, a slip of the finger. Let that be your reason/excuse for any future mistakes.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Lonster said:
I realize that it doesn't take care of our differences. I mean I feel very comfortable with my SV position but I see some very good things coming from OV theology. Especially challenging us (me particularly) to think through, present clearly, our (my) beliefs. So while dwelling in the Holy Spirit may not make a difference in the positions immediately, He does make a difference in us.

I think the biblical emphasis is relational theism, not philosophical ideas about God that undermine relationship. God can be sovereign and relational. They are not mutually exclusive. One cannot have love relationships, the heart of biblical salvation, without genuine freedom. This creates issues surrounding providence, sovereignty, nature of omniscience, control, free will, etc. There are no easy resolutions (unless you embrace my brainwashing, of course...speaking of which, for $1000 U.S., I will sell you my course...I guess I should write one first...OK, you send the money, and I will write it in Mexico...also include a stamped self-addressed envelope to keep my costs down :) ).

bling

MitchellMcKain said:
As I respond, I beg you to realize that we agree on the most important things. I focus on parts where our viewpoints diverge, not because I am argumentative, but because this is where we can learn from each other.
Thank you I am in complete agreement.

MitchellMcKain said:
Your talk of judging the worth of love is strange to me. Your words sound so much like they are focused on earning merit or something. I have said that not all love is equal in God's eyes, but the reason has to do with consequences regarding what it makes of us. I often refer to the "judgement of God", but for me this phrase only refers to God's ability to see the truth clearly. I believe that the love of God for us is truly unconditional. It not God who is unforgiving it the basic realities of our own nature which are unforgiving. Like confused children we want things which are impossible, like wanting to be a scientist without the work of study and learning. And the fact is that no matter how much of a tantrum we throw, and no matter how we interpret the Bible, that is just not something that is going to happen. I don't believe in childish magic.
I am trying to explain my understanding of one word “LOVE”, books have been written and do not cover the subject. I like what CS Lewis had to say, using Agape (Love) as his subject and could live with that meaning for the most part.
If my feeble attempt suggested Love is earned, meritorious or conditional then I have failed. I am of the believe no one starts out with Godly type Love (except deity) and so it must come from the source. It is not something the all powerful God could instinctively give to humans by definition of this “LOVE”. This is also something humans can even initiate in them selves. Once obtained, it can grow with use in the human. The hurdle for humans and God is getting it started, so God does all He can and lowers the human part to just accepting the LOVE. It is made so easy by God it sounds childish, but humans still do not want it. It is an act of humbling oneself (made very easy by God) to accepting His forgiveness (made very easy by God) as an unwarranted gift (made very easy by God).
To many religious groups in this world (some are called Christian) want to earn their forgiveness or pay back their forgiveness (like it is some loan), think God is obligated some how to forgive them or they try to put the debt on someone else like satan, bad luck or Adam and Eve.
Godly forgiveness is a transaction that requires something from both parties. God is doing all He can on His side of the transaction, so the problem is getting humans to accept the forgiveness as a unwarranted gift. If that happens and the receiver of the gift realizes how valuable it is he will love much for, “He that is forgiven much loves much.”
All humans that become mature adults will relize they are disappointing to their creator at some point, it is part of the self-realization mechanism. Mature adults have a built in conscience that at least for a while will tell them some things are bad. (I am not addressing people that do not develop a free will.) God provides that relieve for all through forgiveness if the created will turn to the creator and accept His forgiveness, then love can be exchanged.

MitchellMcKain asked:
But why does God want such things of us? What does God need? Nothing. God only wants what is best for us. He only wants to give us more. His gifts are endless. But His best gifts are things that require us to grow and become more than we are. This is obvious to any parent. The child's vision is limited, and so he only wants things which satisfy now, but the best things the parents have to give often contradicts this immediate satisfaction. This is our basic reality in relation to God and that basic reality will never change. He will always have something more for us to learn and understand so that we can receive even more of His wondrous gifts.
Good question:
It is not that God needs us to love Him with “Godly Type Love”, it is that He wants to Love us with “Godly Type Love”.
The measure you “give” (an unwarranted gift) will be the measure you get back and even more. Luke 6: 38. God is trying to give us LOVE and if we accept His LOVE we can not help but love Him back. Our loving Him back is automatic.

MitchellMcKain asked:
This is a little strange to me. Again I do not believe in a needy God. He loves because it is His nature not because He needs to, therefore His love is absolutely selfless. If He commands us to love Him there can be only one reason. Our own nature requires it. He is the source of life and only He can teach us to be all that we can be. Love for God reaches out to infinite possibilities. To turn away from God is to turn away from life and new possibilites towards stagnation and death.
You challenged my thinking here. “God created humans because He is unselfish”. That does sound better then He needing to love more. I will think about that more, thank you.

MitchellMcKain asked:
I cannot understand your response here. It is almost like you see reality as a novel which God has written and that we only have the choices that God writes into the story and for the sake of the plot some choices are wrong only because he says so. So that when we make the wrong choice the only consequence is disobedience and all that matters is whether He forgives us. I cannot think like this.

I feel that one of the essential things that Jesus taught us was that right and wrong was not just a list of rules God made up but that there is reason behind it all. He said all the laws could be summed up in just two commandments, loving God and loving your neighbor. But how can this be unless there is a logic and a reason connecting the law to these two commandments. Things are not true just because God said them, God says them because they are true. But that means that sin is bad not just because God says so, and it is not just about His forgiveness, but about dealing with the consequences.

Do you not know there there is a judgement for Christians also in which each shall receive according to his works? Our sins are no problem ONLY in the sense that they do not separate us from God, but it is not true that they have no consequences. And repentance is always necessary for the fundamental truth is that sin is only "not a problem" if we understand that we have made a mistake and we go to God for help to heal the damage and make it right. Christianity is not about some magical formula to appease God! That is the kind of religion that the apostle Paul and Chrisitianity condemns.
Your response to my statement shows, how poor of a job I did. For I am having problem understanding your statements as being a response to my statement.
Man as free will agents has written or is writing his novel. God is providing the opportunity. I hope you can gleam from my statements that I think LOVE is what it is all about.
Are you saying, “Things are good (pleasing to God) because they are good for you and things are bad (sin) because they are bad for you”?
I get accused of preaching (like Paul) go on sinning so grace may abound, but that is not what Paul was teaching or what I am teaching.
Christ going to the cross was extremely bad and evil. It cursed some people and caused some to reject the kingdom and it hurts me to think what he went through, but it did help me, which I am extremely thankful for.
God hates sin and sin is not good and it is not good for you, but not to sin for the wrong reason “not to sin” is not good and can lead others to follow the wrong path.
There is a warning with God’s promise Gal. 6: 9Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. We can do a lot of good stuff, but if we stop loving and go back to sowing after the flesh we can lose eternal life in heaven.
As Christians I see the condition we are in (no matter how bad) is not the result of our past wrong, but is an opportunity for the good we can do.
There is no benefit for Christians to sin and they can present a much greater example not sinning, showing repentance and a Christ like life. The non Christian not sinning shows what? What does it do for him?

MitchellMcKain asked:
No I cannot believe that the angels are some failed first attempt or trial run. The angels are either servants or children. The Bible (in Hebrews) very clearly says they are servants and nothing like children.
Like I said before we know very little about angels and need to discuss more fruitful subjects. Some Christians fall away at different levels in there spiritual life, so some how some angel did also.

MitchellMcKain said:
This doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me either. I do not see heaven as a place of rest, which seems a great deal like the oblivion that the atheists believe in. The whole point of the afterlife in my view is simply that the consequences of our choices cannot be escaped and calling such an escape heaven rather than oblivion makes no essential difference as far as I can see.
Life in heaven is another subject we are given little information about for good reason. It is the much greater alternative and we can leave it at that. We need to know how to live and grow while on earth.

MitchellMcKain asked:
So you believe in a pre-existence like the LDS?
Wow, how did you get that? The universe as I think you suggested is the result of God being unselfish, LOVE. I would go on to say it provides the best opportunity for those that love God to accept His love and grow that love.

MitchellMcKain said:
I don't think God needs anything. I have said this before. BUT I also don't believe in magic. I don't think that God goes "abra cadabra" and pulls a rabbit out of His hat. "Let there be light!" may have been good enough for the people thousands of years ago but it will not do for me at all. God can do things because He knows how to do them. God invented the whole idea of life and designed the mathematical laws of the universe to make His idea a reality. Shall we dismiss the existence of atoms, saying that God would not create such a thing because we don't think God would need them? God created them because they have a function and a purpose in what God created, which He does rationally not by magic. Therefore I say that God created the angels because He had a purpose for them as well, as part of His creation of the universe.
I might be a little egotistical here, but I thing God was being unselfish toward humans in His creation. God is so selfless that He is doing everything for those that can LOVE Him (humans).

MitchellMcKain said:
Well it depends on what you mean. You can also say that the Trinity not supported by scripture either, for it is not found within, but is a product of human reason. But that does not mean that the Trinity is not Biblical. Is the "deep field" showing that the sky is filled with galaxies, Biblical? Are these galaxies not created by God because the Bible does not says this? The Bible may be the only thing given to man with divine authority but that does not mean it is the only source of truth. Everything we experience and study and learn in this gift from God called life are a part of the tools which we use in the interpretation of scripture. You interpret the Bible differently than I do but your interpretation has no more authority than mine.
I am very much in agreement with you that the bible is just one of the tools we have to learn from. Everything was spoken into existence and is thus God’s word. We also have the indwelling Spirit to which is a huge help.

MitchellMcKain said:
Your excessively literal interpretation of Genesis makes it seem like a comic book to me.
I think kids learned the story very early and had fun with it.

MitchellMcKain said:
I don't believe that heaven is a finite place in which God has to increase the seating capacity. I don't believe in talking snakes. I don't believe that God used necromancy to make Adam and Eve. I don't believe that Adam was a golem of dust or that Eve was the reanimation of someones body part.

It is not Biblical to say that Adam and Eve ate of the tree of life. God said "And now, lest he put out his hand and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live forever.." You have changed the words to something else: "And now to stop them from continuing to eat of the tree of life, and live forever..." Clearly Adam and Eve were not immortal, the death God spoke of was not a physical death. Death is a natural part of life. We are meant to be spiritual beings and this world and this body are no more than a womb.

The Garden of Eden represents a time of innocence, but I do not believe that evil is necessary for good. What happened was clearly intended to be understood to be a tragedy. Changing that is a refusal to learn from the story and makes it meaningless. But that does not mean that the goal of God is to return us to the Garden of Eden. Adam and Eve chose the hard way, and so we learn through sufferning and dealing with evil. But as tragic as that choice was, we have still learned and grown too much to have any desire to return to the innocence of the Garden or to be benefitted by it.
I said in the first line: “You do not have to believe the Garden to be literal to get the meaning from it.”
It appears from your comments you got a lot of good things from this story.
I am glade you have no desire to return to a Garden type situation and I do not either but probably for different reasons:
The main reason in a Garden type situation my eternal close loving relationship with God is dependent on my own obedience. Where I am now my eternal close relationship with God is dependent on Christ’s obedience (sacrifice).

MitchellMcKain said:
The objective is to grow and become all that we are capable of. Sin by its very nature destroys our capabilities and makes us less rather than more. It is true that fighting our way out of darkness gives us the experience to help others do the same. But to tell someone to try drugs or murder so they can better understand evil and learn how to defeat it is nothing less than insane. I utterly deny this philosophy of yours, which turns right and wrong upside and backward confusing good with evil and making them one and the same thing.

I deny that Adam and Eve had to disobey God in order to learn these things. That idea is abomnable. They chose to learn it that way, but to say that it was necessary is only a justification of evil. That people try to justify their evil in this way is part of their utter depravity.

So rape and torture is God gift to the children who are its victims? Oh my God, No! I might receive such treatment as a gift from God as part of my personal philosophy and determination to see God in everything that I may learn from Him, but that is something very very different. The evil that human beings do is their responsibility alone and not part of any plan of God. The plan of God surrounds the possiblity of such events to bring healing and goodness in spite of these evils not because of them. Do not justify evil.
I am not wanting our discussion to be exclusively academic. I struck an emotional cord with this one, but that was not my objective, for I do want to be challenged with a very challenging ideas.
Just to give you my broader perspective on the other end I believe Christian can truly live a near sinless or even sinless life. I believe if you can keep from quenching the indwelling Spirit he will fill you life with good stuff to be doing and thinking all the time to the point you do not do anything He is not participating in and He cannot participate in sin. We know from Christ as our example when Deity lives unquenched in humans it will not sin. 1 John 2: 1… I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have one who speaks to the Father in our defense—Jesus Christ, the Righteous One.
The word is “But if” and not “but when”.
I am not a great example of this, but I have worked in prison with young prisoners that lived this example. I would be in prison where there were no places to be alone, no solid doors, no covered windows. Guys constantly being watched so a weakness could be found and exploited by the gangs. Gangs did not want to kill them, so they where looking for the ones they might beat into slavery. They were fanatical powerful witnesses. They taught me much and some did sin ( looked up from their Bibles to watch some garbage on TV or were tricked into laughing at a bad joke) their were those that stepped out in front to protect them and suffered severely. I continue to underestimate the power of the Spirit.
When you say: “The objective is to grow and become all that we are capable of.” That has no meaning to me. While I was working with prisoners I met a worthless stupid teen drop out thief that today has a PhD in theology and is a missionary in Kenya. Is it our capacity that matters or His capacity to work through us?
You said: “But to tell someone to try drugs or murder…” Do you think I am doing that?
You said: “That people try to justify their evil in this way is part of their utter depravity.” I want to be like Christ and I want others to be like Christ, but I want them to first hear about Jesus, believe in Jesus, and accept forgiveness of their sins. If they do not accept forgiveness (God’s Love) no matter how wonderful a life they lead it is worthless. Accepting God’s forgiveness is by far the easiest good thing they can do. Is God wanting a bunch of good people the way the world might view good, or does God want forgiven sinners that really love him. The Pharisees, Priest and Levites were seen by most to be good people in the first century, what value was that?
You said: “I deny that Adam and Eve had to disobey God in order to learn these things.” What Adam and Eve created with sinning was a real need for God’s forgiveness (LOVE) that they could now experience.
You said: “So rape and torture is God gift to the children who are its victims? Oh my God, No!”
Torture of an innocent person happened to Jesus and God allowed Jesus to endure it, but was not happy about it. Rape and torture do happen and we as Christians should do all we can to prevent these crimes and the fact God allows them to happen means the opportunity is ours to prevent.

Everyone that becomes a mature adult human will sin. I do not believe in the doctrine of “original sin” and so do not put any blame on Adam and Eve. I do not feel mature humans of their own will power can keep the tenth commandment “not coveting”, they might keep the other 9 in their own mind and among their own friends. Not coveting requires mind control and even if you could control your thought for a while you could not keep it up very long on your own.

Lon

godrulz said:
The post was a bit short. Could you make it longer and expand on every sentence?

What? How long is this thousand $ course anyway? If it transferes to a doctorate program somewhere, I'm in.

Oh, yeah, about that post being 'too short' totally on the same page with you, but the "NEXT" post in response should take care of that. They are Battle length? I need a post count.

Lon

patman said:

You were speaking your mind and your perception. This leads to good discussion and clarifications which I always see as potentially excellent, if both are open to seeing one another's views. I read over the single posts, but I'll run back over them thoroughly as I have time.

In Him

mitchellmckain

Not much to fight about any more? Just a few comments...

bling said:
I like what CS Lewis had to say, using Agape (Love) as his subject and could live with that meaning for the most part.
I also am a fan of CS Lewis.

bling said:
All humans that become mature adults will relize they are disappointing to their creator at some point, it is part of the self-realization mechanism. Mature adults have a built in conscience that at least for a while will tell them some things are bad. (I am not addressing people that do not develop a free will.) God provides that relieve for all through forgiveness if the created will turn to the creator and accept His forgiveness, then love can be exchanged.
Evil is boring. So it is true that God must experience some disappointment in the prevalence of evil in the world. But there is a paradox hidden in what you say. On the one hand since God does not suffer from our wishful thinking and self-deceptions. He sees us far more clearly that we do ourselves. From that perspective it might seem that God would have far more reason to be dissapointed with us that we can even imagine. And yet I think that God sees us primarily in terms of our potential and thus he is not disappointed with us at all. ... How can I explain... I experience this as a teacher and parent all the time. I see how much my students and children fall short, far better than they do, and yet they are the ones that are "making mountains out of molehills".

Christians talk about falling short, but in a sense this is a bit silly. We are comparing finite beings to an infinite God. How could we ever "measure up"? As a parent and teacher I have high expectations because I know that it is only be reaching for those expectations that my students and children can learn. But in the end, it really isn't about how far you are from having fulfilled those expectations, it is really about how much you have learned.

bling said:
You challenged my thinking here. “God created humans because He is unselfish”. That does sound better then He needing to love more. I will think about that more, thank you.
Christians often say that the purpose of creation is to give glory to God. This doesn't make much sense to me. Why would God need glory and how could we possibly add anything significant to an infinite God? The Bible is God's message to us and it is focused on what we need to hear, and the fact is, that we need to see the glory of God in creation and through that reach out to all the possibilities of life.

bling said:
God is providing the opportunity. I hope you can gleam from my statements that I think LOVE is what it is all about.
Yes it is all about love. But then, love is also about everything. In other words, love isn't just sitting and saying, "love, love, love", all day. But, for example, I think one of the key points in this conflict between Open Theism and Calvinism is that God is not about power and knowledge but about goodness and love.

bling said:
Are you saying, “Things are good (pleasing to God) because they are good for you and things are bad (sin) because they are bad for you”?
Exactly.

bling said:
I get accused of preaching (like Paul) go on sinning so grace may abound, but that is not what Paul was teaching or what I am teaching.
Christ going to the cross was extremely bad and evil. It cursed some people and caused some to reject the kingdom and it hurts me to think what he went through, but it did help me, which I am extremely thankful for.
There is no reason to be thankful that our sin did that to God, but we have every reason to be thankful that God was willing to bear the consequences of our sin. This is the power of the cross, and it is a two edged sword of truth that reveals both horror and glory, forcing us to choose between our sin which does such horrific things and the God who loves us more that we ever imagined was possible.

bling said:
I might be a little egotistical here, but I thing God was being unselfish toward humans in His creation. God is so selfless that He is doing everything for those that can LOVE Him (humans).
Yes the capacity to love and the capacity to receive love are indistinguishable. That is the difference between trying to love the rock, the ant, the bird and the person.

bling said:
When you say: “The objective is to grow and become all that we are capable of.” That has no meaning to me. While I was working with prisoners I met a worthless stupid teen drop out thief that today has a PhD in theology and is a missionary in Kenya. Is it our capacity that matters or His capacity to work through us?
I don't know how to respond to this because I am not quite comprehending your thinking here. Since we are not robots, what is the difference between our capacity and God's capacity to work through us? The endless process of becoming all we are capable of, is the same thing as receiving all His gifts. Is that not how God works through us?

This post is almost like talking to a different person. It is like I finally found the Christian inside of you. (or maybe I am talking to a different person and simply getting you and Clete confused) There are many questions which you asked about yourself, but I do not need to answer them, because you have already answered them yourself.

bling said:
I do not feel mature humans of their own will power can keep the tenth commandment “not coveting”, they might keep the other 9 in their own mind and among their own friends. Not coveting requires mind control and even if you could control your thought for a while you could not keep it up very long on your own.
This is not really true. People are different and are challeged by different things. Using my previous imagery, the direction people choose on the plain of possiblilities determines which of the pits of darkness they have to navigate around.

The sin, "to covet" has never been a great challenge to me. My great challenge has always been pride and arrogance. Also, I guess I tend to be rather passive, and so while it is easy for me to accept what God provides with gratitude, it is much much more of challenge for me to take action and be a part of the work of God.

Last edited:

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
mitchellmckain said:
I too, in the past, have come to the conclusion that the other person was playing games of some sort. However, nothing subsequently occured to change this conclusion. But I have no way of knowing whether this was actually intentional or that we just could not find a way of communicating with each other. Few people realize that just because two people speak English does not mean that they speak the same language.
You can stop now with the niceties. I don't want to puke, okay.

In the following response, I am going to ask you a ton of questions. You can answer whichever of them you want but don't lose sight of the fact that the questions are designed not to insult you but rather to show you how you are contradicting yourself all over the place. I fully expect for you not to see it, but that is irrelevant as you are not the only one who will be reading this post.

Well I envision terrible difficulties between us in your determination to pursue that effort. But do remember that I have qualified that statement somewhat to say that it is only that most (not all) things cannot be proven.
What can be proven then?
Is your position that most things cannot be proven, one of the things that cannot be proven?

But please consider comparing what you are saying here to the fact that it has been absolutely mathematically proven that it is impossible to prove that mathematics is consistent.
Impossible. Please tell me that you can see the circularity in this ridiculous statement. If a means of proof has been shown unreliable then any "proof" which uses that means is moot.

I'm going to ask you a very simple question. If you get the answer wrong in even the slightest degree, or you refuse to directly answer it for any reason whatsoever, our discussion will over.

Is "2+2=4" a true of false statement?

I would consider that impossible.
Why should I care about what you consider to be impossible?
Is your subjective truth somehow superior to someone else's who might disagree with you?

Scripture cannot be read without understanding the words.
Quite right! Notice how inside of a single paragraph you contradict this very statement.

And words only have meaning in the context of the totality of our experiences in life.
Did you actually intend to suggest that what the Bible means depends on our personal experience?

I therefore, consider it essential to "sound reason" that one must not pretend that this is not the case but in fact realize that all that we learn and experience in this gift from God that we call life are part of the tools that we must use in understanding the meaning of scripture.
Again, why in the world would I give a rip about what you consider to be essential? Is your admittedly subjective opinions more trustworthy than mine? If not, then on what basis should I care to change mine to be in agreement with yours? How do you know that it shouldn't be the other way around?

Scripture itself is the only thing with authority, our understanding of scriture has no authority whatsoever.
But you just got through saying that you cannot read Scripture without understanding the words!!!!

I marvel at how people can so blatantly contradict themselves without even realizing they've done so!

It is the concepts communicated by the words of Scripture that are authoritative, not the grammatical words themselves. I, for example, have no allegiance to the word "love" but rather to the concept which that word communicates; I have no duty to the word "Jesus" but to Him whom the word Jesus signifies. I don't get to just make up what these words mean and their definition don't have anything to do with me, whatsoever. Words mean things and idea have consequences and they do so completely separate from anything I think or understand about them. I might be an absolute idiot and insist that blue is actually orange. But I would be wrong!

And that's actually a very important point Mitchel. It's not that I would merely be of an opposing opinion concerning what the word "blue" means; it's that I would be wrong - period. It's not up to me what blue is. It's not a matter of opinion. Blue is blue and blue is not orange and that would remain the case whether I knew any different or not. Indeed, it would remain the case whether or not I even existed! It just flat out isn't up to me!

(In case you missed the real point of what I just said, replace the words "blue" and "orange" with "good" and "evil"; "right" and "wrong"; "true" and "false"; "righteous" and "wicked". Such things are very simply not matters of opinion but of objective truth.)

By faith, pure and simple. The Bible itself calls us to that faith. Not very logical is it? Logic will not help you here. Reason and logic are only tools, to make them your master is foolish.
This is a lie and I find it repulsively insulting and blasphemous. The Bible never calls us to simply believe without reason or evidence - ever. You would be more at home in the Mid-evil Catholic church than in Biblical Christianity. Such nonsense is precisely how things like the Inquisition and Papal Edicts and Indulgences were permitted to go on for so long.

By the way, all of those things I just listed, were all argued from the pages of Scripture. How do you know that they were wrong? Do you know that they were wrong or isn't that included in the things that can be proven? Is the opinion of the Pope any less valid than yours?

Faith is an important factor in all knowlege - ALL knowledge.
This comment show the depths of your ignorance on this topic. (Not that I'm much of an expert myself really.)
First of all with your understanding of the word "faith", which has nothing whatsoever to do with the Bible or Christianity, faith can have nothing to do with knowledge at all. And so as stated, you're comment is purely false. However, even if your understanding of faith bore some resemblance to the Biblical concept of faith, it would still fall far short of the actual truth, for faith is not just a factor in all knowledge, it is the very foundation of it.
There is far too much on this to get into here but suffice it to say that you just tripped over the tip of a very huge ice-burg, the base of which has to do with how any of us can know anything at all.

Because uncertainty is basic fact of human existence.
Uncertainly is a basic fact of existence of the unbeliever only. It is incredible to me the ground which you are willing to just forfeit to the unbeliever without cause. I realize that you don't have any idea that you've done so; nor do you have a clue what I'm even talking about but nevertheless, this statement of yours belongs in the mouths of atheists, not Christians.

In order not to be paralyzed by that uncertainty, we make a choice to put our faith in certain things and live our lives as if they were true despite uncertainty.
And so you openly proclaim that faith is simply blind belief. That we have no real confidence that our belief is in anything objectively real. What a pathetic excuse for Christianity your theology is.

It is not the same as just guessing, because faith often creates what we have faith in.
So now it's our faith which creates God! You cannot possibly believe this stuff!

Love is one of the most obvious examples. We cannot love unless we put our faith in love, but that very faith creates the very love in which we put our faith.
You can't even state with certainty that love exists!

How is it possible that you don't detect such blatant contradictions within your own worldview?

Trust is similar. It is one of the essential messages of Christianity that the faith we have in salvation through Christ is the same. Our very faith in salvation plays a role in creating it. Don't get me wrong here. Salvation is a work of God alone. But its essence is a relationship with God and unless we believe and have faith in that relationship then it cannot exist.
So which comes first? Our faith of the object of our faith? And since when are we to have faith in a relationship? We are to trust God, not in our relationship with Him! In fact, our relationship with Him is built upon our trust in Him. It is not, nor could it conceivably be, the other way around.

I seriously do not understand how you can be content to continue living with such blatant irrationality!

Obviously you have a great antipathy for the word opinion which I do not share. So let me short-circuit all this hostility and an explain my opinion in regards to this matter.
Two things...

What hostility?

Who cares what your opinion is in regards to this matter? Is your opinion superior to mine? If not, then on what basis should I (or anyone) change their opinions to more closely match yours?

I would guess that one of the difference between the way we think is that my thinking is largely phenomenological. In other words my understanding of reality refuses to ignore how that reality is perceived.
"Perception is reality." is that it?

Is that only your perception or is that really the way things are?

Thus it is my thinking that human experience of existence is primarily subjective. This idea of that which is objective is an abstract construction derived from the confirmation that certain aspects of our experience are shared by others.
How did you not just prove your own position completely wrong?
You place your hand on a lit stove and you will get burned. It makes no difference who you are; it's not a random phenomena, it's not a matter of opinion, it's not a matter of desire or of state of mind. No matter how many times you place your hand in the fire, it gets burned.
This is the principle of induction and it works with or without your agreement with it. Everything you know, you know because this principle works and is universal. A fact, by the way, which gives us insight into the sort of God we worship and which categorically proves your "perception is reality" thesis to be quite false.

Science restricts itself to this abstract construction alone by requiring all observations, by which it tests its hypotheses, to be confirmed by the observations of others. However, I think that it is clear that this methodology excludes a great deal of reality, imposing upon the scientific view of the world a rather severe sort of tunnel vision. In other word, I firmly believe that their are aspects of reality which are NOT objectively observable. God is one of these things.
God must be presupposed in order for any observation to be made in the first place. Again, this is delving into aspects of epistemology which we are seemingly light-years away from being in a position to meaningfully discuss. Suffice it to say for now, that you, by your own words, don't know anything.

Atheists love to get their opponents to accept the presumption that only that which is objective is worth consideration, because then they have all the advantages including being able justify the conclusion that science is the only valid means for discovering the truth. But I certainly would not grant them any such thing.
You've granted them so much more than that it's almost indescribable! You've given away the whole store and don't even know it! Fortunately for you, most atheists wouldn't see it either.

Well this is a slightly different use of the word objectivity, but I think it is still a mistake to use it in this context. Objectivity is an ideal to strive for when making public decisions and when mediating between people. But I don't think this is the word you want to use in understanding the totality of reality. Ones personal experience and feelings are not irrelevant when considering ones relationship with God.
I keep saying this but once again, how can you live with such blatantly self-refuting positions? Do you really not see how you just contradicted yourself? Maybe the following question will cause you to see it...

Is the following statement objectively true or is it just your opinion...

"Ones personal experience and feelings are not irrelevant when considering ones relationship with God."​

Frankly I cannot see that using this word in this context as anything but a barely veiled pretext for disparaging other peoples points of view.
I do not veil my disparagement of others. If they are wrong, I tell them so plainly and without pretense.

Also, would you agree that my use of the word in that context was either a barely veiled pretext of the disparaging of other people's points of view or it was not? In other words, does you opinion one way or the other change whether or not it is actually true? Are my motives for the use of that word in that context a matter of opinion or are my motives what they are in spite of anyone's opinions? In other words, is your perception of my motivations have any effect on what my motives actually are?

I typically hear atheists do this, so I suspect you have been learning from the wrong teachers.
This is funny. I don't know which atheists you've been talking with but the one's on this website would eat your worldview for lunch.

And chocolate is superior to vanilla. Get real. People say things like this in order to give their preference some absolute validity.
No, they say things like what you've just said to do that. People state truth claims all the time. It is only when people pretend that all truth claims are actually nothing more than mere opinions that they attempting to give their preference some absolute validity.

I don't expect for you to even understand that last sentence but it actually does a pretty could job of communicated just exactly how it is that you are continuously contradicting yourself.

It makes a fundmental confusion between yourself and God. Everything in the world does not line up on a single linear scale to judge according to what is better than the other. The objective has its merits and the subjective has its merits.
You simply don't know what you're talking about. God (i.e. truth) is the only scale by which anything is judged - anything.

Calling something opionion doesn't make it false and calling something fact doesn't make it true.
Umm, that's my line!

I never said, or even suggested that opinions are necessarily false. Even broken clocks are right twice a day! I simply stated that facts trump opinions and they do! If you think they don't then be prepared to answer me when I ask whether or not your insistence to the contrary is itself factually true or merely your opinion.

And there is a difference between the proper use of reason and stupidly limiting yourself to reason alone, completely blind to fact that reason relies on premises which reason cannot supply.
I do not limit myself to reason alone. Did I not plainly state that I rely on Scripture AND sound reason? The two must be taken together. Scripture without sound reason is meaningless because it can be made to mean literally anything. Reason without Scripture has no foundation and breaks down into meaningless, self-refuting circularity. Together, however, they are the very foundation of all knowledge and understanding; a rock which cannot be moved. How amazingly fitting that the Bible declares Christ to be the very Logos of God! He is the very personification and indeed the physical incarnation of reason, wisdom, understanding and knowledge, without whom there would be nothing to know nor anyway to know it.

A large part of our misunderstanding has do with your attitude that you have the right to dictate how the Bible must interpreted let alone tell me what my own thoughts must be. Jesus was clearly an example to be followed and you are being heretical in your rejection of this aspect of the Christian experience. So this lunatic is calling you a heretic!
You are a hypocrite. You accuse my of veiled hostility and then a few sentences later intentionally mischaracterize what I've said in this manner. Where did I ever say that I get to dictate anything to anyone? Where did I make the argument that what I think matters? Have I not been arguing just the exact opposite? My opinions don't mean dittly squat! What matters is what can be demonstrated to be the objective truth, which you deny even exists for the most part! Who's dictating to whom, here? You are the one who supports the notion that perception is reality; you are the one that says that a particular person's opinions matter; you are the one who says we must all do what is right in our own eyes! NOT ME!!! I'm the one who is here telling you that truth doesn't have anything to do with what we say! Do a search and find out who the poster is here on TOL who most frequently states that "Saying it doesn't make it so!" I can promise you that it aint you! It's just laughable that you are able to flip the whole discussion on its head like this and accuse me of being the one who is being subjective here as though I'm the one who gets to decide what is and is not a valid means of interpreting the Bible. What is valid and what is not has nothing to do with my opinion nor do I get to dictate what it is to anyone. What is valid is valid and in this case that just so happens to be the plain reading of Scripture and sound reason. That would be the only valid means of determining doctrinal truth whether I agreed with it or not. Thus is the nature of objective truth.

Resting in Him,
Clete

mitchellmckain

Clete said:
You can stop now with the niceties. I don't want to puke, okay.
Granted. I can do better than that. I will stop responding to your posts altogether. Your statement clearly shows that just as I don't care for debate, you do not care for discussion. I think that this means you only participate for the feeling of satisfaction you get at ridiculing those who believe differently than you do. Somehow you imagine that this "proves" you are right. Thus the presumption I began with that you had any idea what the word "proof" meant, is shown to be entirely mistaken. It is also, in fact, clear that you are not even interested in the meaning of the word "proof" and my attempts to communicate with you have been a waste of my time.

So since I do not want to be a part of your neurotic need to "prove" things, we really have no reason to continue responding to each others posts.

Clete said:
What can be proven then?
Is your position that most things cannot be proven, one of the things that cannot be proven?

Impossible. Please tell me that you can see the circularity in this ridiculous statement. If a means of proof has been shown unreliable then any "proof" which uses that means is moot.
I just answered both your questions (about what can be proven and what cannot be proven) by the reference to Godel's result. Here is a link for you to read about it: Wikipedia article on Godel's incompleteness theorem

Clete said:
I'm going to ask you a very simple question. If you get the answer wrong in even the slightest degree, or you refuse to directly answer it for any reason whatsoever, our discussion will over.

Is "2+2=4" a true of false statement?
"2+2=4" is a true statement.

My turn.

"This is a false statement." Is that statement true or false?

If you fail to answer this question or are wrong in even the slightest degree, or you refuse to directly answer it for any reason whatsoever, our discussion is over. In fact if you do not begin your response to this post with a "true" or "false" answer to this question I will not continue reading your post.

Clete said:
Quite right! Notice how inside of a single paragraph you contradict this very statement.
I don't care about your kooky ideas about what constitutes a contradiction any more than you care about my ideas of impossibility.

Clete said:
Did you actually intend to suggest that what the Bible means depends on our personal experience?
No, only its interpretation depends on our personal experience.

Clete said:
Again, why in the world would I give a rip about what you consider to be essential? Is your admittedly subjective opinions more trustworthy than mine? If not, then on what basis should I care to change mine to be in agreement with yours? How do you know that it shouldn't be the other way around?
I don't "give a rip" about whether you change your opinions or not. And when two people reach this agreement than neither "gives a rip" about what the other person cares about, that is when discussion is best discontinued.

Clete said:
And that's actually a very important point Mitchel. It's not that I would merely be of an opposing opinion concerning what the word "blue" means; it's that I would be wrong - period. It's not up to me what blue is. It's not a matter of opinion. Blue is blue and blue is not orange and that would remain the case whether I knew any different or not. Indeed, it would remain the case whether or not I even existed! It just flat out isn't up to me!
Now if only your theology was that "God is blue". Then you would be sitting pretty.

Clete said:
This is a lie and I find it repulsively insulting and blasphemous. The Bible never calls us to simply believe without reason or evidence - ever.
I find your lie that I said any such thing equally insulting.

Clete said:
By the way, all of those things I just listed, were all argued from the pages of Scripture.
Just as I find this lie utterly blaspehmous. Your kooky interpretations are not in scripture, and your confusion between the word of God and your opinion is completely your problem.

Clete said:
And so you openly proclaim that faith is simply blind belief. That we have no real confidence that our belief is in anything objectively real. What a pathetic excuse for Christianity your theology is.
Not at all. Being blind is about refusing to see what is front of you. There is a fundamental difference between the confidence to run your own life and the confidence that some people have that makes them think that they can run the lives of others. It is a pathetic excuse for Christianity to blindly insist on what is plainly incorrect in any consideration of what is objectively known and then to insist that this is furthermore "objective" as well.

Clete said:
So now it's our faith which creates God! You cannot possibly believe this stuff!
I never said any such thing. This shows your love for the tactics of rhetoric which enables you to ridicule those who disagree with you and then pretend that you are "proving" that you are therefore correct as a result of this.

Clete said:
You can't even state with certainty that love exists!
On the contrary I can state this with certainty despite that the fact that love is patently subjective precisely because I do not blindly insist that everything real must be objective.

Clete said:
How is it possible that you don't detect such blatant contradictions within your own worldview?
Because I don't share the blatant contradictions that you have in your worldview that makes you confuse sound reasoning with contradiction.

Clete said:
So which comes first? Our faith of the object of our faith? And since when are we to have faith in a relationship? We are to trust God, not in our relationship with Him! In fact, our relationship with Him is built upon our trust in Him. It is not, nor could it conceivably be, the other way around.
Exactly!

Clete said:
I seriously do not understand how you can be content to continue living with such blatant irrationality!
Because understanding the limits of reason, which comes from understanding what reason is, is not the same thing as irrationality.

Clete said:
"Perception is reality." is that it?
Of course not. Perception is our only access to reality. Only perception is immediately known. Reality requires some interpretation of that perception.

Clete said:
God must be presupposed in order for any observation to be made in the first place. Again, this is delving into aspects of epistemology which we are seemingly light-years away from being in a position to meaningfully discuss. Suffice it to say for now, that you, by your own words, don't know anything.
That has got to be the most ridiculous and stupid thing I have ever heard anyone say, showing such a basic inablity in the workings of sound logic as to make further discussion about anything (let alone one about epistemology) absurd.

I know lots of things. I know that the sun will rise tomorrow, but that does not mean that I could not be wrong. I know that there is a war in Iraq, but I could possibly be wrong. I know, by your words, that you are incapable of anything that I would consider rational thinking, but I could be wrong.

I actually pray that God will prove me wrong, for every time He does so, it brings me just a little bit closer to the truth.

Clete said:
This is funny. I don't know which atheists you've been talking with but the one's on this website would eat your worldview for lunch.
Indeed I think we (the atheists and I) could, in fact, enjoy a rational conversation, which is more than I can say of some people.

Clete said:
You simply don't know what you're talking about. God (i.e. truth) is the only scale by which anything is judged - anything.
Ahhhh.... Now here is a slip that begins to make some sense of you. Your "truth" as you call your opinion is your God. A very pretty sort of idolatry.

My God is a person (more than one actually). His existence is independent of my opinion and truth is independent of God. Things are not true just because God says them, God says them because they are true. This is the difference between an arbitrary God and a rational God. If you assert the opposite contention that things are true only because God says them then omniscience becomes "God knows what he has said". This does not seem like such a great claim to me, and such a God is just a dreamer that dreams reality without any special quality that we should take notice of him.

Clete said:
Umm, that's my line!
Which just goes to show that anyone can say these innane phrases of rhetoric.

Clete said:
I do not limit myself to reason alone. Did I not plainly state that I rely on Scripture AND sound reason? The two must be taken together. Scripture without sound reason is meaningless because it can be made to mean literally anything. Reason without Scripture has no foundation and breaks down into meaningless, self-refuting circularity. Together, however, they are the very foundation of all knowledge and understanding; a rock which cannot be moved.
Tell me, what are your qualifications for your claim to an understanding of reason. I took a graduate course in symbolic logic at the University while I was getting my bachelors in mathematics (from which I obtained an even more solid understanding of what a proof is), before getting a masters of divinity and then a master's in physics. Would not those with the greater training in the use of logic and reason be far better suited to the use of your methodology?

From your post I would judge that you have some talent for misleading rhetoric but none for logic. In such a case, based on what you have said, I must conclude that scripture "made to mean literally anything" is in fact the accurate discription of your method of interpretation and all this talk of reason, I hear from you, is a part of your elaborate system of self delusion.

HOWEVER, it is only by accepting your presuppositions that I come to such a conclusion. I don't, in fact, accept such presuppositions so I reject this conclusion. I know instead that ones decisions about the meaning of scripture are based upon far more than just reason. They are based upon the gifts which God is giving to us everyday. This is why, despite the divine inspiration for my own decisions, I refuse to elevate my decisions to statements of matters of fact, because I have no wish to blaspheme against the divine inspiration behind the decisions of other.

Clete said:
You are a hypocrite.
Perhaps, but I am not an intentional hypocrite. Hypocrisy with all the other faults of mine of which I am aware is something which I work carefully and patiently with the help of God to eliminate.

Clete said:
Where did I ever say that I get to dictate anything to anyone?
Apparently from my understanding of your statements, which just goes to show how unreliable anyones interpretation of things are.

Clete said:
Where did I make the argument that what I think matters?
No, but (at the risk of inducing another fit on your part) you have been utterly outraged by the idea that I don't consider what I think, ultimately matters to anyone but myself. I thought the implications of this were obvious. But I have pretty much given up making sense of anything you say.

Clete said:
Have I not been arguing just the exact opposite? My opinions don't mean dittly squat! What matters is what can be demonstrated to be the objective truth, which you deny even exists for the most part!
No I do not. I simply deny that human beings have substantial access to this "objective truth" and you in particular, less than most.

Clete said:
Who's dictating to whom, here? You are the one who supports the notion that perception is reality; you are the one that says that a particular person's opinions matter; you are the one who says we must all do what is right in our own eyes!
You are, ... by your identification of your opinion with God and "objective truth". I never said that a particular person's opinion matters, just as I never tried to convince anyone that my opinions were God or "objective truth". The only right we can choose to do is what is right in our own eyes, based on our understanding of the Bible and what God is telling us among other things. I, unlike others I could mention, simply remain open to the possiblity that I am wrong, ready to receive correction from God whenever He wills it. I prefer not to tempt God, chewing on my foot, when I could be absolutely wrong.

Clete said:
NOT ME!!! I'm the one who is here telling you that truth doesn't have anything to do with what we say!
Good, for that is exactly what I have been saying from the beginning. It makes me wonder what we have been arguing about. I have wondered this every time I read one of your posts. Which is why I suspect it is not worth putting up with your abuse.

Goodbye.

Last edited:

patman

Lonster said:
You were speaking your mind and your perception. This leads to good discussion and clarifications which I always see as potentially excellent, if both are open to seeing one another's views. I read over the single posts, but I'll run back over them thoroughly as I have time.

In Him

You'll have to let me know how it goes...

In the mean time, how do you answer the problem of evil from an S.V. perspective?

Lon

Problem of pain and suffering

Problem of pain and suffering

patman said:
You'll have to let me know how it goes...

In the mean time, how do you answer the problem of evil from an S.V. perspective?

We are in a fix of our own making. We (SV) are asked the same questions you are asked: "Why does God allow this? Why doesn't He do something? Doesn't this (or that) grieve Him?"

Our answers are similar. While I've read (to my grief) from some that "God is the author of such." I have to reject such a position. Rather, as was true in Lazarus' case, God is grieved by pain and suffering and He was/is moved with compassion. I believe being in the presence of sin hurts God even more profoundly than it does us. I believe that we are responsible (universal 'we') for the condition of sin, not, nor ever God. The parable of the wheat and tares explains a little for us why God doesn't put an immediate stop (some of the wheat would be harmed). God is not willing that any should perish, and He has done much to ensure that none of the wheat suffers condemnation. While there are horrors in the world, I believe God isn't powerless, but has constraint for whatever it would do to us if He were to intervene as we'd demand. He'd have to judge not just the atrocity, but all who have atrocities in their heart. God says Himself, that He is waiting until the full harvest will be brought in. While He loves the world, those who are to be redeemed are precious to Him.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Some are from Venus and others are from Mars.

Mitchell, rulz, and Clete are from different planets in these discussions :alien: :confused:

Lon

godrulz said:

Mitchell, rulz, and Clete are from different planets in these discussions :alien: :confused:

You are so getting beat up for this if either of them responds, and you just lost your 'martyr' award you ninny.

mitchellmckain

godrulz said:

I believe you are right, only I am afraid Clete doesn't believe other planets exist or calls them something different so I can't see that he does.

Lonster said:
You are so getting beat up for this if either of them responds, and you just lost your 'martyr' award you ninny.

The reason I don't like debate is not because I am not good at it. I am pretty good at slinging the rhetoric around and my sarcasm and wit can be as sharp as a razor. But, I don't like what I become when I do debate. Debate doesn't make me feel Christian.

So I throw in a little empathy to try and defuse the hostilities. Clete has spurned this so I must bow out, for he may be as happy as a clam in the water but I am not.

RobE

Lonster said:
We are in a fix of our own making. We (SV) are asked the same questions you are asked: "Why does God allow this? Why doesn't He do something? Doesn't this (or that) grieve Him?"

Our answers are similar. While I've read (to my grief) from some that "God is the author of such." I have to reject such a position. Rather, as was true in Lazarus' case, God is grieved by pain and suffering and He was/is moved with compassion. I believe being in the presence of sin hurts God even more profoundly than it does us. I believe that we are responsible (universal 'we') for the condition of sin, not, nor ever God. The parable of the wheat and tares explains a little for us why God doesn't put an immediate stop (some of the wheat would be harmed). God is not willing that any should perish, and He has done much to ensure that none of the wheat suffers condemnation. While there are horrors in the world, I believe God isn't powerless, but has constraint for whatever it would do to us if He were to intervene as we'd demand. He'd have to judge not just the atrocity, but all who have atrocities in their heart. God says Himself, that He is waiting until the full harvest will be brought in. While He loves the world, those who are to be redeemed are precious to Him.

Hilston's position that "God is the author of such," is based upon the idea of God created knowing what would happen. If you read closely, you'll see that Hilston rejects the claim that God is responsible for any evil or sin which men do. Your analysis of the situation is correct. The o.v. and S.V.(traditional Christianity) have the same response to "Why does God allow suffering?"(foreknown or not).

Patrick should remember that I've argued repeatedly that those who are redeemed are more important than the suffering to Him. God's purpose is greater than suffering! :thumb:

Clete said:
NOT ME!!! I'm the one who is here telling you that truth doesn't have anything to do with what we say!

Mitchell said:
Good, for that is exactly what I have been saying from the beginning. It makes me wonder what we have been arguing about.

Mitchell, you should see that sometimes it is just for the sake of arguing and feeling that you are justified in your position. It isn't very noble, but it comes natural to humans. :chuckle:

Rob

patman

RobE said:
Hilston's position that "God is the author of such," is based upon the idea of God created knowing what would happen. If you read closely, you'll see that Hilston rejects the claim that God is responsible for any evil or sin which men do. Your analysis of the situation is correct. The o.v. and S.V.(traditional Christianity) have the same response to "Why does God allow suffering?"(foreknown or not).

Patrick should remember that I've argued repeatedly that those who are redeemed are more important than the suffering to Him. God's purpose is greater than suffering! :thumb:

Why won't you let me forget Rob, why? WHY?

-sigh-

May the record show the popular S.V. belief that somehow authoring sin does not make one responsible for sin.

Status
Not open for further replies.