ARCHIVE: Open Theism part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lee_merrill

patman said:
God can give Israel's judgement into the hands of a sinner to carry it out and it would not be sin
That would nevertheless be agency in this, would it not?

God never lies. He named Satan as the one guilty of afflicting Job. Job, who is human and who is wrong at times, was however wrong when he said God took away.
Yet we read in the last part that this was "the trouble the Lord brought upon him."

We can't erase either verse, so then yes, the devil had agency here, and the Lord did, too. I would claim God was the primary agent here, and the devil only served God's purpose.

The problem is not sinning and being not being wrong are not the same thing.
And again, it is a sin to blaspheme God unwittingly, and to say God did have agency in a sin when he did not, would therefore be a sin.

GOD did not afflict Job at all.
Strange that the Lord did not deny afflicting him, then, for this is stated and restated throughout the book, even Elihu says this, and God does not correct Job or any of them on this point when he is rebuking Job in chapters 38-41.

Job 42:11 They comforted and consoled him over all the trouble the Lord had brought upon him, and each one gave him a piece of silver and a gold ring.

We even have a plain statement in Scripture that the Lord brought this trouble on Job, and yet you deny this. This is unconscionable.

Blessings,
Lee

patman

lee_merrill said:
Strange that the Lord did not deny afflicting him, then, for this is stated and restated throughout the book, even Elihu says this, and God does not correct Job or any of them on this point when he is rebuking Job in chapters 38-41.
Lee? Do you assume everything you believe about the bible based on what wasn't said?

No, no "agency" involved at all, I don't even know how you made that stretch. I can usually at least see where you are coming from, though I do not always agree. Not in this case.

I just don't understand how you are getting around this. Black and white, God said Satan did it. Job said God did it, Job was wrong, while not sinning. It is easy, no?

patman

lee_merrill said:
Yet we read in the last part that this was "the trouble the Lord brought upon him."

This was that figure of speech we all told you about... It simply does not mean what it says upon taken out of context. The context all around everything shows this, go back and read our responses to this and address them if you disagree.

Bob Hill

TOL Subscriber
Looking at Open Theism from a totally different perspective, here is why Israel and the Body of Christ do not belong together in any way. God set Israel aside and turned to the Gentiles.

Israelites cannot just be Open Theists or refer to the body of Christ, but must first desert national, physical, ethnic Israels beliefs and believe in Jesus Christ as their Savior.

The Body of Christ was a mystery, never revealed until it was given to the Apostle Paul.

We must always remember a Jewish principle. 1 Co 1:22 For Jews request a sign, and Greeks seek after wisdom. In spite of all the signs God gave them, Israel rejected God and was set aside. I believe this happened in Acts 7. :noway:

Acts 7:51-56 You stiff necked and uncircumcised in heart and ears! You always resist the Holy Spirit; as your fathers did, so do you. 52 Which of the prophets did your fathers not persecute? And they killed those who foretold the coming of the Just One, of whom you now have become the betrayers and murderers, 53 who have received the law by the direction of angels and have not kept it. 54 When they heard these things they were cut to the heart, and they gnashed at him with their teeth. 55 But he, being full of the Holy Spirit, gazed into heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God, 56 and said, Look! I see the heavens opened and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God!

God set Israel aside (Rom 11:11,25; Acts 28:28) in Acts 7 when Christ stood in judgment (Isa 3:13) at the stoning of Stephen. Part of Paul’s ministry had been to show Israel that they had been set aside. This is one of the reasons why the Corinthian church spoke in tongues. One wall of their meeting place was contiguous with the Jewish synagogue. They spoke in tongues in judgment upon the unbelieving Jews next door in fulfillment of the prophecy in Isaiah 28 (1 Co 14:21,22).

In Acts 28:28, God used Paul to pronounce to the Jews in Rome that Israel had been set aside. After this, the baptisms imposed on Israel, being fleshly ordinances (Heb 9:10-13), were set aside until God would resume dealing with Israel in the tribulation.

For a Jew to believe in this Dispensation of Grace, he has to forget his Judaism and trust Christ as his Savior.

Salvation is Open to the Jews, now. Salvation is open to everyone who believes what God said through Paul in Eph 2:8,9 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, 9 not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Bob Hill

Philetus

lee_merrill said:
Certainly, it is!

Yes, death is the result of sin, and whose decision was this? may I ask...

And as far as these aspects you mentioned:

Exodus 4:11 The Lord said to him, "Who gave man his mouth? Who makes him deaf or mute? Who gives him sight or makes him blind? Is it not I, the Lord?"

Deuteronomy 28:27-28 The Lord will afflict you with the boils of Egypt and with tumors, festering sores and the itch, from which you cannot be cured. The Lord will afflict you with madness, blindness and confusion of mind.

Isaiah 65:15 You will leave your name to my chosen ones as a curse; the Sovereign Lord will put you to death, but to his servants he will give another name.

Will you deny these plain Scriptures?

Deuteronomy 28:22 The Lord will strike you with wasting disease, with fever and inflammation, with scorching heat and drought, with blight and mildew, which will plague you until you perish.

Deuteronomy 28:25 The Lord will cause you to be defeated before your enemies. You will come at them from one direction but flee from them in seven ... [Note that the fulfilment of this involved actions by sinful men].

1 Kings 14:15 And the Lord will strike Israel, so that it will be like a reed swaying in the water. He will uproot Israel from this good land that he gave to their forefathers and scatter them beyond the River, because they provoked the Lord to anger by making Asherah poles.

Isaiah 19:22 The Lord will strike Egypt with a plague; he will strike them and heal them. They will turn to the Lord, and he will respond to their pleas and heal them.

Will you deny these plain Scriptures? I begin to lose hope...

Blessings,
Lee

Lee,

The Open Theist does not deny any scripture, Lee. We simply read them in light of a warfare model where you read them in light of your blueprint model.

Deuteronomy 28:27-28 The Lord will afflict you with the boils of Egypt and with tumors, festering sores and the itch, from which you cannot be cured. The Lord will afflict you with madness, blindness and confusion of mind.

Does your view say that the Lord afflicts with sickness that He cannot cure? That is the literal reading of the proof text you quoted. IMHO you have been afflicted with madness, blindness and confusion of mind that only an Open View of scripture can cure.

So, as I said we will simply have to agree to disagree to which you replied you won't. Your view doesn't need and therefore doesn't offer hope. So be it.

Philetus

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
lee_merrill said:
Would either of you folks, however, be inclined to address my points here, please?
Impossible! You don't even speak the same language as Philetus and the rest of us here. When your points are responded to you simply repeat the same point again as though no one had said anything. But you don't do that because you aren't trying to respond but because you refuse to poke your nose out from under your settled view tent long enough to understand what is being said to you. You not only read the bible with your settled view classes on but our posts as well. Substantive communication in such circumstances is impossible because you are making no effort at all to respond to what we've actually said but rather to what your worldview twists our posts into.

In short we are dealing here with a issue of paradigms not simply of Biblical texts and one line "arguments". What it boils down to is what we believe about who God is. All of our theology whether open view or settled is predicated upon that single issue. The settled viewer places greater emphasis on how much power and knowledge God has and the open viewer emphasizes God's righteousness, personality and relationships. No matter how you slice it, this is what the debate is really all about and you (Lee) refuse to walk a mile in another man's shoes, if you will. Everything you read and everything you write is all universally interpreted with a strong emphasis on God's quantitative attributes and since you refuse to even acknowledge that this is so and since none of us on the other side of the argument are speaking from that perspective, you never stop missing our points and continually think that your own points go unresponded too. As a result, as I said above, substantive communication with you on these issues is impossible.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Last edited:

Philetus

Clete said:
Impossible! You don't even speak the same language as Philetus and the rest of us here. When your points are responded to you simply repeat the same point again as though no one had said anything. But you don't do that because you aren't trying to respond but because you refuse to poke your nose out from under your settled view tent long enough to understand what is being said to you. You not only read the bible with your settled view classes on but our posts as well. Substantive communication in such circumstances is impossible because you are making no effort at all to respond to what we've actually said but rather to what your worldview twists our posts into.

In short we are dealing here with a issue of paradigms not simply of Biblical texts and one line "arguments". What it boils down to is what we believe about who God is. All of our theology whether open view or settled is predicated upon that single issue. The settled viewer places greater emphasis on how much power and knowledge God has and the open viewer emphasizes God's righteousness, personality and relationships. No matter how you slice it, this is what the debate is really all about and you (Lee) refuse to walk a mile in another man's shoes, if you will. Everything you read and everything you write is all universally interpreted with a strong emphasis on God's quantitative attributes and since you refuse to even acknowledge that this is so and since none of us on the other side of the argument are speaking from that perspective, you never stop missing our points and continually think that your own points go unresponded too. As a result, as I said above, substantive communication with you on these issues is impossible.

Resting in Him,
Clete
:up:

Sorry, Lee. I gotta go with Clete on this one.

Philetus

godrulz said:
I have trouble understanding Lee's arguments. Perhaps they are incoherent and wrong?

INCOHERENT? WRONG? Shirley, you jest! :eek:
I gave up on any attempt at understanding Lee's posts. I just continue to disappoint myself thinking, hoping, even praying that he might give some evidence that he grasps the issues.

elected4ever

Bob Hill said:
We Open View Theists believe God has the ability to change His mind or repent about something He said He would do.

He usually does this when man has done something to cause God to either repent from harm that He said He would do, or repent from something good that He said He would do for man, but because man sinned, He now says He will not do it.

It is also the best answer to the Calvinistic view that God predetermines everything that has happened and will happen.

Sealed until the Day of Redemption, when this body is going to be changed,
Bob Hill
Excuse me, your arrogance is showing again.

lee_merrill

Hi everyone,

Patman: Do you assume everything you believe about the bible based on what wasn't said?
Well, no, for we also have a clear statement where God speaks of “the trouble the Lord brought on him.”

What specifically is difficult about this phrase, or this argument? I take the verse to mean what it says, the Lord brought the trouble on him.

No, no "agency" involved at all, I don't even know how you made that stretch.
So then the Lord removed the hedge without realizing what the devil would do?

Surely God knew that removing the hedge meant the devil would attack, so indeed, even according to the Open Theists, God had agency in what happened to Job.

Job said God did it, Job was wrong, while not sinning. It is easy, no?
Unless unwitting blasphemy is a sin, and indeed, it is (1 Tim. 1:12, Paul had to be forgiven, for this sin).

This was that figure of speech we all told you about...
And I ask again and again which grammar points this out as a known phrase people would understand in another way, as in “it’s raining buckets.” We can’t just say “it’s a figure of speech” without grammatical warrant.

I could just as well say “Satan struck Job” is a figure of speech, and put another meaning there…

The context all around everything shows this, go back and read our responses to this and address them if you disagree.
And yet even Elihu spoke of God doing this, the context in fact supports the claim that God was the primary agent here, from first to last, Scripture says Job said this without sinning, Scripture says this at the end, everyone agrees that this is ultimately God’s hand, and God does not contradict this.

Philetus: Does your view say that the Lord afflicts with sickness that He cannot cure?
Certainly this would mean that they cannot bring healing in their own power, and this also speaks of “sin unto death,” does it not? So then these afflictions would be part of a capital punishment:

The Lord will strike you with wasting disease, with fever and inflammation, with scorching heat and drought, with blight and mildew, which will plague you until you perish (Dt. 28:22).

And this and many other verses clearly say God afflicts people.

Clete: When your points are responded to you simply repeat the same point again as though no one had said anything.
The reason might be because people continue to raise points addressed earlier: “And I ask again and again which grammar points this out as a known phrase people would understand in another way…”

But you don't do that because you aren't trying to respond but because you refuse to poke your nose out from under your settled view tent long enough to understand what is being said to you.
I think I understand well enough, the claim is that God does not afflict people, especially innocent people, and this was just the argument of Job’s friends, who were worse off than Job, for their error was more serious.

They said God afflicted Job for his sin, and we read that 1) Job was righteous and 2) God brought this trouble on him.

So their sin was saying that God does not afflict innocent people, and Scripture clearly speaks of this, and to deny this, is unconscionable.

Job 23:10 But he knows the way that I take; when he has tested me, I will come forth as gold.

Zechariah 13:9 This third I will bring into the fire; I [note: “I”] will refine them like silver and test them like gold. They will call on my name and I will answer them; I will say, 'They are my people,' and they will say, 'The Lord is our God.'

Blessings,
Lee

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
lee_merrill said:
Clete said:
When your points are responded to you simply repeat the same point again as though no one had said anything.
I think I understand well enough, the claim is that God does not afflict people, especially innocent people, and this was just the argument of Job’s friends, who were worse off than Job, for their error was more serious.

Clete said:
But you don't do that because you aren't trying to respond but because you refuse to poke your nose out from under your settled view tent long enough to understand what is being said to you.
They said God afflicted Job for his sin, and we read that 1) Job was righteous and 2) God brought this trouble on him.

So their sin was saying that God does not afflict innocent people, and Scripture clearly speaks of this, and to deny this, is unconscionable.

Job 23:10 But he knows the way that I take; when he has tested me, I will come forth as gold.

Zechariah 13:9 This third I will bring into the fire; I [note: “I”] will refine them like silver and test them like gold. They will call on my name and I will answer them; I will say, 'They are my people,' and they will say, 'The Lord is our God.'

Blessings,
Lee
All I can think to say is...

I rest my case.

Resting in Him,
Clete

lee_merrill

Clete said:
All I can think to say is...

I rest my case.
This is the typical response now, that is, skipping most if not all of my questions and rejoinders.

A lack of response might indicate a lack of answers.

"Does your view say that the Lord afflicts with sickness that He cannot cure?" -- Philetus

You really are setting out to deny all these plain Scriptures, it just occurred to me. I did not think anyone would actually deny such plain statements, this is appalling.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
lee_merrill said:
This is the typical response now, that is, skipping most if not all of my questions and rejoinders.
Nothing has been skipped and repeating your position is not a valid rejoinder.

A lack of response might indicate a lack of answers.
Or a lack of a desire to go stark raving mad repeating ourselves endlessly.

"Does your view say that the Lord afflicts with sickness that He cannot cure?" -- Philetus

You really are setting out to deny all these plain Scriptures, it just occurred to me. I did not think anyone would actually deny such plain statements, this is appalling.
Once again, I rest my case! I'm tellin' ya Lee, you are not speaking the same language as we are. Philetus nor myself nor anyone else currently participating in this thread (with the possible exception of e4e) is denying any scripture at all. Let me try to explain again...

You read a passage like the one alluded too above and take it in a woodenly literal fashion because doing so is in keeping with your underlying presupposition that God's providence other quantitative attributes takes precedence over His righteousness and other qualitative attributes. In fact you define His qualities in the context of His quantitative attributes whereas we do the reverse. We know (for a fact) that the passage does not mean that God is incapable of curing ANY sickness including the one mentioned in your proof text because not only would it just simply not make any sense to begin with but because we know that God is just, kind, loving and good and that His the amount of control He exerts over the creation does not supersede that nor would He allow it to do so. This is the fundamental flaw in the Settled View. You have sacrificed God's justice and holy character on the alter of His absolute providential control of everything that happens, which is neither rational nor Biblical.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Philetus

Clete said:

Once again, I rest my case! I'm tellin' ya Lee, you are not speaking the same language as we are. Philetus nor myself nor anyone else currently participating in this thread (with the possible exception of e4e) is denying any scripture at all. Let me try to explain again...

You read a passage like the one alluded too above and take it in a woodenly literal fashion because doing so is in keeping with your underlying presupposition that God's providence other quantitative attributes takes precedence over His righteousness and other qualitative attributes. In fact you define His qualities in the context of His quantitative attributes whereas we do the reverse. We know (for a fact) that the passage does not mean that God is incapable of curing ANY sickness including the one mentioned in your proof text because not only would it just simply not make any sense to begin with but because we know that God is just, kind, loving and good and that His the amount of control He exerts over the creation does not supersede that nor would He allow it to do so. This is the fundamental flaw in the Settled View. You have sacrificed God's justice and holy character on the alter of His absolute providential control of everything that happens, which is neither rational nor Biblical.

Resting in Him,
Clete

:bow: :Clete:
Man Oh man! That is gooooood. Maybe if we post it twice ... naw. :sigh:

Classic Leeism: “You really are setting out to deny all these plain Scriptures, IT JUST OCCURED TO ME."

I ask the question and Lee accuses all Open Theists of denying plain Scriptures.

:idunno: :backflip:

It is time to move on.

elected4ever

Clete said:

Resting in Him,
Clete
:blabla: :blabla: :blabla: :blabla: :vomit:

patman

Lee,

This is your view of this thread:

lee_merrill said:
This is the typical response now, that is, skipping most if not all of my questions and rejoinders. A lack of response might indicate a lack of answers.

This is ours:
clete said:

We keep going over and over the same stuff without you presenting anything new or trying to break down our arguments. Instead you just find some other verse and take it out of context...

lee_merrill said:
And yet even Elihu spoke of God doing this, the context in fact supports the claim that God was the primary agent here, from first to last, Scripture says Job said this without sinning, Scripture says this at the end, everyone agrees that this is ultimately God’s hand, and God does not contradict this.

Really? Now i Have to repeat myself again. Just reread this post. Save TOL some web-space.

Here are countless Verses where Elihu tells Job that he is crazy and God both didn't and wouldn't do this.
http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1247762&postcount=4524

By the way, that is my third post like that. Still waiting for your comments in light of their context.

lee_merrill said:
And I ask again and again which grammar points this out as a known phrase people would understand in another way, as in “it’s raining buckets.” We can’t just say “it’s a figure of speech” without grammatical warrant.

And I answer again:

http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1245653&postcount=4470
patman said:
When determining if a verse is figurative, I always go about it in the same fashion as above.

1. Does it contract other verses (YES)
2. Does the surrounding context intend for this to be the main point? (NO) If not, what is it really saying?(JOB GOT RICH AGAIN)
3. Could this mean something else as a figure of speech and still fit the context? (YES)

It meets all of these checks.

SO what the verse is meaning is 'God rebuilt Job's fortune because of the testing'. We should not take it to mean God brought it upon Job because, overwhelmingly all verses about the story itself shows SATAN doing it. The words speak for themselves.

Why do you not consider this to be a figure of speech? I didn't feel a need to answer what everyone else had already answered for me. Of all the verses that literately show who did what, you pick a verse that is easily seen to be figurative and use it to twist the other verses.

lee_merrill said:
Surely God knew that removing the hedge meant the devil would attack, so indeed, even according to the Open Theists, God had agency in what happened to Job.

OK, finally something new that is explained.

The answer is no.

God allowing for sin to happen does not make hi the sinner.

Status
Not open for further replies.