ARCHIVE: Open Theism part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philetus

godrulz said:
Preconceived theology, not preexistent :wave:

OKedokey. I was just thinking pre-existing in the sense that Calvinism pre dates both you and Lee (that's almost prehistoric) and has already been around way toooooo loooong.

Do you remember making the statement and can you locate it? Was it in this thread? I've looked but got lost. This is a whopper of a thread. The residual thinking of Calvinism permeates most of the liturgy of the church and tends to contaminate much of our conversation about church and the gospel. Most goes unnoticed. It’s hard to get away from it.

So, I've been wondering. UHOH! What does 'preconceived theology' really mean and is there such a thing as 'postconceived theology'. I'm not trying to be cute here. Really what does it mean?

Philetus

lee_merrill

Hi everyone,

Patman said:
Lee, God can bring disaster on sinners?! What is the problem with this? So what if he allows a sinful nation to be his pawn?
Then sinful deeds are in the plan of God, which he brings about?

"I will make you ... I will give all Judah into the hand of the king of Babylon..."

Philetus said:
If God is in control of everything, why is self-control a fruit of the Spirit?
Well, let's not get too far off-topic! But if it's a fruit of the Spirit, then it comes from Him, and thus God would be in control of this ("Only God can make a tree"--or the fruit from it).

Blessings,
Lee

Last edited:

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Calvinism led to a decline in missions and evangelism around the Reformation time. It is not an innocuous philosophy (I was not aware of this until I read anti-missions statements from Luther, Calvin, etc.). A deterministic philosophy can lead to passivism, but does not have to (Piper, Packer, Sproul, etc. support preaching the gospel, thought God will save the elect unconditionally through the means of the gospel).

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
lee_merrill said:
But if it's a fruit of the Spirit, then it comes from Him, and thus God would be in control of this ("Only God can make a tree"--or the fruit from it).

So you can see where Philetus would ask this question. If this "fruit" comes about, only because God is in control of whether an individual has a supposed control over something, why call it "self"-control? "Self" is not in control, God is. As you said, "it comes from Him, and thus God would be in control of this".

If this control comes from God, then it would be more precise to refer to it as "God-control" instead of "self-control".

Last edited:

patman

lee_merrill said:
Hi everyone,

Then sinful deeds are in the plan of God, which he brings about?

"I will make you ... I will give all Judah into the hand of the king of Babylon..."

Lee, that just doesn't add up at all. It also shows how you read things. You read half of it, seeing only the part that makes you feel good. "I will make you" what? Sin? No, Lee.

If God is so planning, why is he constantly changing his plans?

elected4ever

He is not changing anything. Just because God knows does not mean he will prevent anything that man has chosen to do. God's plan has not and will never change. It just frost you to know that God will allow your screw ups because you chose to screw up. He knew it from the beginning but it was your choice, He didn't make it for you

patman

elected4ever said:
He is not changing anything. Just because God knows does not mean he will prevent anything that man has chosen to do. God's plan has not and will never change. It just frost you to know that God will allow your screw ups because you chose to screw up. He knew it from the beginning but it was your choice, He didn't make it for you

Elected, God shows us a change of mind and plan often in scripture. Look back a few posts to see one I presented and address it, please.

It would help even more when you address it if you know the situation. God says he will give Judah to Babylon to go into captivity, Babylon instead leaves half of Judah in Judah, then those in Judah run to Egypt. Things didn't go according to God's original plan.

elected4ever

patman said:
Elected, God shows us a change of mind and plan often in scripture. Look back a few posts to see one I presented and address it, please.

It would help even more when you address it if you know the situation. God says he will give Judah to Babylon to go into captivity, Babylon instead leaves half of Judah in Judah, then those in Judah run to Egypt. Things didn't go according to God's original plan.
How do you know that that was not known by God? God is always telling us what is best for us but that does not prevent us from taking things into or own hands. The ending for those folks was worse. Like Bob says do right and suffer the consequences. The alternative is always worse.

patman

elected4ever said:
How do you know that that was not known by God? God is always telling us what is best for us but that does not prevent us from taking things into or own hands. The ending for those folks was worse. Like Bob says do right and suffer the consequences. The alternative is always worse.
God does not lie. He told us what he was going to do, it was what he was going to do. It didn't happen. So God changed his mind to cause it to happen.

lee_merrill

Hi everyone,

Poly said:
… only because God is in control of whether an individual has a supposed control over something, why call it "self"-control?
Ah, now I see the point, yes, God gives us the ability to control ourselves, and I do believe believers can really choose within God’s will, so God doesn’t make all decisions. So the real freedom is within the bounds of self-control, God will let us run the ship, our own ship, within his will, and his ship as well, at times!

Revelation 3:21 To him who overcomes, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I overcame and sat down with my Father on his throne.

Patman said:
"I will make you" what? Sin?
No, but at God’s command sinful people punished them, and their fear was of those sinful men, so sinful people and sinful deeds are involved here, and by the plan of God.

You may know I conclude God does not change his plans.

God says he will give Judah to Babylon to go into captivity, Babylon instead leaves half of Judah in Judah, then those in Judah run to Egypt.
But every person need not go to Babylon to fulfill the prophecy:

Jeremiah 24:5-8 This is what the Lord, the God of Israel, says: 'Like these good figs, I regard as good the exiles from Judah, whom I sent away from this place to the land of the Babylonians. My eyes will watch over them for their good, and I will bring them back to this land. I will build them up and not tear them down; I will plant them and not uproot them. I will give them a heart to know me, that I am the Lord. They will be my people, and I will be their God, for they will return to me with all their heart. ‘But like the poor figs, which are so bad they cannot be eaten,' says the Lord, 'so will I deal with Zedekiah king of Judah, his officials and the survivors from Jerusalem, whether they remain in this land or live in Egypt.’

We see here even that God thought they might, some of them, go to Egypt…

Pat: God plainly said Satan did it
Lee: This verse over here insinuates God did it.

And you cannot do that.
Because Scripture says they both did it, you know. So…

Lee: God plainly said God did it
Pat: This verse over here insinuates Satan did it.

This works either way, and gets us nowhere. So then if Scripture says both Satan did it, and God did it, then I think the Open View point is still done for, regardless of who was the ultimate cause, there is agency both by Satan (for a bad purpose) and also by God (for a good purpose).

"A good God causes Satan to Cause Evil to make Good?"
That’s right, he does.

"This is the same lesson we learn from 2 Cor. 12:7 where Paul says that his thorn in the flesh was a messenger of Satan, and yet was given for the purpose of his own holiness. 'To keep me from exalting myself, there was given me a thorn in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to torment me – to keep me from exalting myself!' Now, humility is not Satan's purpose in this affliction. Therefore the purpose is God's. Which means that Satan here is being used by God to accomplish his good purposes in Paul's life." (John Piper)

I already explained how you were taking the verse out of it's context.
I, foolish person that I am, when I read “the Lord took away,” think it means the Lord took away.

Yes yes yes, bad things happen to good people when God punishes the wicked.
Then God’s actions do afflict the righteous sometimes? We also left out God refining the righteous, God afflicts his people for that reason, you know!

Hebrews 12:7 Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as sons. For what son is not disciplined by his father?
Hebrews 12:10 Our fathers disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, that we may share in his holiness.

And sometimes this discipline is at the hands of sinful men.

2 Samuel 7:14 I will be his father, and he will be my son. When he does wrong, I will punish him with the rod of men, with floggings inflicted by men.

Of which we see an example with Solomon, for instance.

He sometimes uses hard lessons, this is true, but he does not cause sin in this, ever.
1 Kings 11:23 And God raised up against Solomon another adversary, Rezon son of Eliada, who had fled from his master, Hadadezer king of Zobah.
1 Kings 11:25 Rezon was Israel's adversary as long as Solomon lived, adding to the trouble caused by Hadad. So Rezon ruled in Aram and was hostile toward Israel.

This is quite clear language, God did this, though I agree that sin does not flow from God, he is not the source of sin, but his actions do bring about sinful actions.

Romans 5:20 The Law came in so that the transgression would increase; but where sin increased, grace abounded all the more…

Philetus said:
… the suffering of Christ Jesus on our behalf is the work of sinful men and the result of sin itself. God willed himself to be handed over to sinful men and die. God did not cause our suffering.
I was speaking here of the suffering of Christ, who was an innocent man, the claim here was that God would not afflict an innocent person.

It isn’t the suffering that produces ‘some greater good’.
“By his wounds we are healed.”

Blessings,
Lee

Last edited:

patman

lee_merrill said:
No, but at God’s command sinful people punished them, and their fear was of those sinful men, so sinful people and sinful deeds are involved here, and by the plan of God.

Lee, big deal, God commands sinners all the time!!! He tells them to do right, not wrong! If God commands ANYTHING, what he commands is right. If God wishes to command someone to bring about justice, he is OK in doing this, and it means nothing to your point other than utterly disproving it.

God commands sinners. So what? He told them to do what is right. Israel needed judged in righteousness. How is he commanding sin lee?

lee_merrill said:
But every person need not go to Babylon to fulfill the prophecy:

Jeremiah 24:5-8 This is what the Lord, the God of Israel, says: 'Like these good figs, I regard as good the exiles from Judah, whom I sent away from this place to the land of the Babylonians. My eyes will watch over them for their good, and I will bring them back to this land. I will build them up and not tear them down; I will plant them and not uproot them. I will give them a heart to know me, that I am the Lord. They will be my people, and I will be their God, for they will return to me with all their heart. ‘But like the poor figs, which are so bad they cannot be eaten,' says the Lord, 'so will I deal with Zedekiah king of Judah, his officials and the survivors from Jerusalem, whether they remain in this land or live in Egypt.’

We see here even that God thought they might, some of them, go to Egypt…

Lee this is so embarrassing for you. I already told elected4ever this happened as a change of plan. It happened 4 chapters after the first prophecy, you are just proving my point!

God in chapter 20 said they were going to Babylon, now here he is, 4 chapters later, changing his mind. Thanks for sharing.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
God's will is not the only factor in the universe, by His sovereign choice. Obedience and disobedience to God's commands shows that He gives us significant freedom, with consequences. This is necessary in order to have genuine love relationships, a higher good than creating robots. We are children of the Most High God, not puppets. God is the perfect parent, yet Israel wandered. God's control is providential/responsive, not meticulous/omnicausal.

Philetus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly

… only because God is in control of whether an individual has a supposed control over something, why call it "self"-control?

LEE: Ah, now I see the point, yes, God gives us the ability to control ourselves, and I do believe believers can really choose within God’s will, so God doesn’t make all decisions. So the real freedom is within the bounds of self-control, God will let us run the ship, our own ship, within his will, and his as well, at times!

More double talk, Lee. I don’t think you even see the point you are trying to make.

So, just where do you suppose God will let us run our ship? And in what direction … HIS direction only? Or can we actually change course and go ‘everyone to his own way?’ And do you believe that non-believers CAN’T exercise self-control? You are going to catch your own tail if you’re not careful. Your defense of this ‘pre-conceived’ theology is preventing you from admitting how deceived you really are.Exercise a little self control and just admit this whole notion of absolute meticulous control that you get from total foreknowledge and immutability is wrong.

LEE: We see here even that God thought they might, some of them, go to Egypt…
That's a clasic 'Leeism' if there ever was one.
“God THOUGHT they MIGHT???? What happened to GOD KNOWS?

There is a way that seems right, Lee, but the end is destruction.

Your way says there isn’t any real freedom; that there is no such thing as real self-control because you can’t admit that God given freedom gives you the option of being out-of-control (just like your theology). You prove it when you say that God hasn’t any real ‘knowledge’ of the future; He just thinks ‘they might’.

We chose sin! What we didn’t choose is the penalty for sin and we have been trying to avoid death on our terms ever since the pangs of sin, guilt and shame hit us. Calvinism is the most diabolical kind of avoidance and denial of the truth about God there is because it is embraced by much of the church itself.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Calvinism vs hyper-Calvinism tries to say that we have free agency, not free will, so we are responsible for sin and God is not. I find it hard to understand their cake and eat it too views.

Philetus

godrulz said:
Calvinism vs hyper-Calvinism tries to say that we have free agency, not free will, so we are responsible for sin and God is not. I find it hard to understand their cake and eat it too views.

It's just double talk; their only alternative to speaking truthfully about God.

elected4ever

I have always said that man was created an autonomous creation and was given authority by God to make independent decisions. Man cannot be in the express image of God and not have freedom of choice. That does not mean that God does not know. God has a plan and regardless of the actions of man God will complete it. God knows the ending from the beginning and continued the plan anyway.

God is not surprised by our actions but the choice of God to make us as He is required that man must choose to become as God is. It is evident that man can choose not to be as God is but God knows who will and who wont but that is a choice made by the individual, not God. There is nothing wrong with God knowing. I believe it is man's arrogance to imply that man has the ability to to derail God and cause God to change His plan. That is like man having the ability to save himself. What i see from most OVers is pure legalism. As if according to the flesh they can keep the righteousness of God and have somewhat to boost of their righteousness according to their flesh. We are no longer of the flesh but of the spirit and we are as God is according to the the righteous spirit born within us.

Status
Not open for further replies.