Another Evidence that Jesus Was a Married Man.

Ben Masada

Another Evidence that Jesus was a Married Man.

Jesus Christ lived under the law of Moses and fulfilled it.

I am glad to hear your reminding us of this truth about Jesus.

Where does it say in the law that a "bishop" must be married?

The Torah Law says and, mind you, quite clear that a man shall leave his father and his mother and shall cling to his wife to be of one flesh with her. This Torah law is found in Genesis 2:24. Jesus made it quite clear in Mat. 5:17-19 that he had not come to abolish the Law but to fulfill it down to the letter. Do you think Jesus would have lied by saying that he came to fulfill the Law down to the letter and broke the very first of the commandments? I don't think so.

Can you prove that all prophets, teachers, apostles, pastors in the OT and the gospels were all married?

It is perfectly honest to affirm that they all were. I can't prove by quoting all of them because this is not the purpose of the Tanach. For a man to be married in Israel was high among all honors.

Was David married before he taught Saul about believing God?

You might want to review this question of yours above. It does not make sense to me.

Was Daniel ever married? How about shadrach Meshach and Ebednego?

I find these questions too childish about our prophets and dignitaries; I would say, of course, they were although I can't show the proper quotes. Marriage for a man at that time was a fact of life.

Does it state that Ezra or Nehemiah were married? Was Mordecai married?

We can say "yes" because for a man to be married in Israel was a fact to be taken for granted.

Was Joseph married while he was receiving from God the interpretations of the dreams of the butler and baker?

Joseph was married to Asenath the daughter of the Egyptian high priest of On. (Gen. 41:45) That was a special case worthy being mentioned.

Was John the Baptist married?

As I have told you before, if the marriage among Jews is not mentioned, it is safe to take it for granted.

Who called Jesus a rabbi?

The famous Pharisee called Nicodemus. I gave you the quote in the thread. As a Christian, you ought to know it. (John 3:2)

Did the religious elite give him that title sincerely or were his followers the ones who had the respect to call him teacher?

Now, you are exaggerating because they are all dead and we, Jews, do not practice seance to find out if they were sincere or not.

glassjester

According to Paul, a syllogism is built to illustrate the facts above:
1. First premise: A Teacher must be married;
2. Second premise: Jesus was a Teacher;
3. Resultant premise: Therefore, Jesus was married.

As Paul never married he must have made of himself the exception to the above syllogism because he was of the kind to teach: "Do as I say but not as I do because I am a sinner too."(Rom. 7:25)

So you believe Paul's words in his letter to the Romans?

HisServant

I find it highly unlikely that Jesus was married given the circumstances of his ministry and the fact that none of scripture mentions it.

Then there is the misconception that people think that he was a normal man and had to abide by the same rules that normal men did.

Granite

Hall of Fame
I find it highly unlikely that Jesus was married given the circumstances of his ministry and the fact that none of scripture mentions it.

Then there is the misconception that people think that he was a normal man and had to abide by the same rules that normal men did.

The gospels don't discuss most of his life, why would this detail be any different?

HisServant

The gospels don't discuss most of his life, why would this detail be any different?

Would she have traveled with him on his ministries.. when he was in the desert?

He had no place to lay his head... how could he have supported a wife?

If she had died early, maybe.

But its all theory and conjecture with no real support...

brewmama

So you guys keep perpetuating this thread despite NO evidence that Jesus was married, but purely on conjecture. You must have a lot of time to waste.

rako

The Bible does not clearly say if Jesus had a wife or not.

The Christian people, in the Bible, are Jesus' "bride".

If Jesus went on his mission thinking he was going to probably get killed, he might not want to leave a wife and/or kids behind. He also may have acted as a lone wolf in personal life like John the Baptist. Also, as a few modern scholars imagine he was gay, he would not marry (I am not endorsing that theory, but only saying there is a tiny chance of it if one doesn't accept normal Christianity).

Also, a marriage would be done by rabbis in the synagogue (generally pharisees and sadducees) and he was generally pretty apart from life in the official synagogue establishment. Normally you would not think about a sadducee or pharisee having authority over Jesus (by his own worldview) to make a marriage.

So there are different signs why he probably wouldn't be married, but we don't have clear proof one way or the other.

rako

So you guys keep perpetuating this thread despite NO evidence that Jesus was married, but purely on conjecture. You must have a lot of time to waste.
Welcome to the "Reformed Protestant" and "post-Reformed-Protestant" world.

Ben Masada

You're joking, right? You're using Paul to "prove" your point, yet ignore this? 1 Corinthians 7:8-9King James Version (KJV) I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, it is good for them if they abide even as I. But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn.

If in your eyes, I am the one joking, Paul was the main joker because, I have given all the proper quotes from him for evidences of what I mean.

In I Cor. 7:8,9 Paul did not say any thing to derail my line of interpretation. He rather confirmed his former position that it was good for the unmarried and widowers to remain as they were without women but... if they couldn't, it would be better to marry than to burn. The preference though, was to remain as he - Paul - was.

If you try to block the interference of your Christian preconceived notions, you might get a hold of the truth of this matter.

Ben Masada

The word church comes from the Greek ecclesia, which refers to the called out ones. It began with those called out of Egypt.

This is he (Moses) who was in the congregation in the wilderness with the Angel who spoke to him on Mount Sinai, and with our fathers, the one who received the living oracles to give to us. (Acts 7:38.

We are not here talking about the Greek etymology of the term "church" but the Christian Church Paul founded in Antioch and gave origin to Christianity. (Acts 11:26)

Ben Masada

I say Jesus was married until he died and then he was no longer married.

Is it any different from the rest of us? No one goes on married after death. This that you agree that Jesus was married until he died is already a great development in the mind of a Christian. Keep the good work.

Ben Masada

If this is your example of evidence, I sincerely hope you never have to go to court for anything. I still think you must be joking.

Are you saying there are NEVER any single Jews? Or have never been?

What I am saying is that, there is nothing a young Jewish man plans the most than to get married and raise a family. And for the young Jewish woman, there is nothing she desires the most than for the day when she will be proposed by a young man. Especially the young man of her dreams.

Ben Masada

The OP is in error. A bishop could have only one wife. Scripture does not say that they must be married. How foolish is that?

As foolish as to understand that there is no reference to marriage in Gen. 2:24

Ben Masada

Oh, I see the problem here!

You thought this was TransgressionOnline. No, no, that's down the hall and to the left. The far left.

Oh! You are not aware that Paul lived with Barnabas and that the Jewish honorable women of Antioch got together and expelled both of them out of their borders because they were teaching the young Jewish men to remain as unmarried as they - Paul and Barnabas - were? (I Cor. 7:1,7) You are not reading your NT, I see. Take a look at Acts 13:50. Paul and Barnabas shook the dust of their feet against them and went to the synagogues of Inconium probably to do the same thing. (Acts 14:1)

Ben Masada

1 Timothy 3:2 should be read as saying: "a husband of [no more than] one wife."

Well! That's good enough! Jesus was married with no more than Mary Magdalene. He was not a Patriarch or king to be married with as many women as they pleased.

The number of wives here indicates only the maximum, not the minimum, number of wives that a bishop can have. Evidence that this is true? St. Paul was a bishop, but remained unmarried.

Paul was not of the marriage type of man. Neither Paul nor Barnabas. hence they lived together as they were both bachelors.

Furthermore, he exhorts people, if they are willing to do so, to remain unmarried, just like him. Should we assume that he advises this to ordinary lay Christians, but would bar ecclesiastic authorities from the better form of life, consigning them, I say, not so much to the worse, but to the less perfect?

You can bet on that! If he would regulate ecclesiastic authorities on marriage, he definitely used his authority to advise ordinary lay Christians. Otherwise, how would the mothers get so upset at him? (Acts 13:50)

I deny the first premise.

That's okay. You have all the right in the world to, as long as you do not claim that Jesus also denied.

That's just a flat out lie. That's not what Romans 7:25 says:The grace of God, by Jesus Christ our Lord. Therefore, I myself, with the mind serve the law of God; but with the flesh, the law of sin."

And what do you think Romans 7:25 say? Probably that Jesus did not know what he was talking about when he said that no one can serve two masters? (Mat. 6:24) Oh yes! That's what was happening. Paul was serving the Lord in his mind and serving sin in his flesh. That's also what Jesus meant but, hey! Paul was a special man. To obey the Law was not for special men. So, implied Dostoevsky in his book "Crime and Punishment." BTW, I think Dostoevsky copied that concept from Paul.

This line, of course, only can be understood in the greater context of the chapter and work at hand.

Perhaps that's why Paul would not understand Jesus' word in Matthew 6:24 but as not applying to special people like him.

Ben Masada

No evidence! Are you sure Mama? Let me ask you a question. According to the first three gospels where did Jesus immediately go to when he came out of the waters of the Jordan River soon after John the Baptist baptized him? Let me remind you; to the wilderness, Mama. Don't you remember? He spent 40 days there where he was being tempted to turn stones into bread. Remember now?

Now, let's take a look in the gospel of John. Soon after he came out of the waters, he started recruiting his disciples; on the second day he was seen on his way up to Galilee. On the third day he was getting married in Cana of Galilee where he was being tempted to turn water into wine. Wine of the best kind mind you! (John 2:1,2)

But why he had to get married so soon after the "Mikveh"? Do you wanna know why Mama? Because he was on a rush to have his papers drawn so that he could start his Ministry as a Rabbi. Otherwise, he would not be able to if he was not a married man. Don't forget what Paul reminded Timothy of, that to be a Bishop aka a Rabbi one must be the husband of a wife. (I Tim. 3:1,2) And last but not least, that's a classic evidence that Jesus was a married man. Don't you think so, Mama?

Lon

3. Resultant premise: Therefore, Jesus was married.

As Paul never married he must have made of himself the exception to the above syllogism because he was of the kind to teach: "Do as I say but not as I do because I am a sinner too."(Rom. 7:25)
As a converted Jew, sure, I see your desperation. If these kinds of shallow objections are all you got, you should follow Jesus Christ the Messiah. This, is no objection.
Why does the idea that Jesus was married disturb some people?
Matthew 8:20 Messiah came for a different purpose. Philippians 2 etc. etc. You Jews don't seem to read or understand the New Testament. One of you told me you'd read it 'more than me' but it is obviously not true by these kinds of statements and threads. The distance on the learning curve is large imho, with Jews not seeming to understand even if they are trying to read it, though I'm ever doubtful that is the case especially in light of the cursory.

Ben Masada

The Bible does not clearly say if Jesus had a wife or not.

Listen Rako, does the NT say anywhere that Jesus was NOT married? If you find anywhere a statement to the effect that Jesus was NOT married, believe me, I'll be the first to comply to the news. In the meantime, let me go on with my mission to soften the hearts of unbelievers.

The Christian people, in the Bible, are Jesus' "bride".

When did he propose them if Christianity did not exist until another 30 years after Jesus had been gone? What I have is that Paul was the one to propose in the city of Antioch if you read Acts 11:26.

If Jesus went on his mission thinking he was going to probably get killed, he might not want to leave a wife and/or kids behind.

Jesus had no choice Rako. He had to marry or he would never be able to get the papers as a Rabbi. Don't forget Paul's explanation that a Bishop aka a Rabbi had to be married to officiate as such. (I Tim. 3:1,2)

He also may have acted as a lone wolf in personal life like John the Baptist.

Whoever gave you the idea that John the Baptist was not married? According to Josephus, the Essenes were composed of two groups. The smaller one would remain in their remit-like monasteries while the larger one would minister doing something outside throughout the city, immersing Jews in the waters of the Jordan River and others with tephilim aka phylacteries to help Jews who did not have time to pray in the morning to do so with them wherever they stood. Both customs are still in use today among Ultra-Orthodox Jews, especially those of Chabad orientation.

Also, as a few modern scholars imagine he was gay, he would not marry (I am not endorsing that theory, but only saying there is a tiny chance of it if one doesn't accept normal Christianity).

That's what Christians get by denying that Jesus was NOT married. It serves them.

Also, a marriage would be done by rabbis in the synagogue (generally pharisees and sadducees) and he was generally pretty apart from life in the official synagogue establishment. Normally you would not think about a sadducee or pharisee having authority over Jesus (by his own worldview) to make a marriage.

That's wish-thinking with the Christian intent to derail Jesus from being the Jew that he was. Nice try though! In fact, Paul worked hard on that.

So there are different signs why he probably wouldn't be married, but we don't have clear proof one way or the other.

I see more proofs that Jesus was married than unmarried. The reason is probably because I don't have the Christian preconceived notions on my way of reasoning.

Lon

No evidence! Are you sure Mama?
Not sure you need to be condescending to her chosen username.

Let me ask you a question. According to the first three gospels where did Jesus immediately go to when he came out of the waters of the Jordan River soon after John the Baptist baptized him? Let me remind you; to the wilderness, Mama. Don't you remember? He spent 40 days there where he was being tempted to turn stones into bread. Remember now?

Now, let's take a look in the gospel of John. Soon after he came out of the waters, he started recruiting his disciples; on the second day he was seen on his way up to Galilee. On the third day he was getting married in Cana of Galilee where he was being tempted to turn water into wine. Wine of the best kind mind you! (John 2:1,2)
You don't know enough to look up words in Strong's so I'll give you some slack: Open up a concordance. If you'd study instead of assume you'd not make mistakes. Some of you TOL Jews don't seem to be interested in studying to show yourselves approved workman 2 Timothy 2:15, such would indicate when you are no longer theological, but political with cavalier propositions.

But why he had to get married so soon after the "Mikveh"? Do you wanna know why Mama? Because he was on a rush to have his papers drawn so that he could start his Ministry as a Rabbi. Otherwise, he would not be able to if he was not a married man. Don't forget what Paul reminded Timothy of, that to be a Bishop aka a Rabbi one must be the husband of a wife. (I Tim. 3:1,2) And last but not least, that's a classic evidence that Jesus was a married man. Don't you think so, Mama?
It wasn't a 'requirement' but a 'restriction.' A man with more than one wife would be seen as too busy to care for church matters. In writing to the Corinthians, Paul tells all singles that they are all better to remain single given the time and persecution of the church. You make a lot of rookie mistakes. That is to be expected but why do you insist on interjecting your freshman work as something spectacular? Is there a point to all this? Are you just trying to convince yourself? Looking for material for your own website? :idunno: I don't see much of a point. Even a Google search quickly addresses some of these odd concerns you've brought to TOL. :idunno: