Animal Sacrifices Found in the Old Testament ?

Jerry Shugart

Here we can see that the animal sacrifices found in the OT were according to the commandment of the LORD:

"An altar of earth thou shalt make unto me, and shalt sacrifice thereon thy burnt offerings, and thy peace offerings, thy sheep, and thine oxen: in all places where I record my name I will come unto thee, and I will bless thee"
(Ex.20:24).​

There are some people on this forum who believe what is written in the OT but deny the Christian revelation found in the NT. For them I have this question:

What was the reason why the LORD demanded the animal sacrifices found in the OT?

From the very beginning we see that Abel's offering from the flock was respecpted by the LORD but Cain's offering of the fruit of the ground was not:

"And Abel was a keeper of sheep, but Cain was a tiller of the ground. And in process of time it came to pass, that Cain brought of the fruit of the ground an offering unto the LORD. And Abel, he also brought of the firstlings of his flock and of the fat thereof. And the LORD had respect unto Abel and to his offering: But unto Cain and to his offering he had not respect" (Gen.4:2-5).​

Throughout the OT there is a constant theme concerning animal offerings and sacrifices so is it not clear that the LORD places a certain significance upon animal sacrifices?

What is their significance? What is the LORD telling us?

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
Throughout the OT there is a constant theme concerning animal offerings and sacrifices so is it not clear that the LORD places a certain significance upon animal sacrifices?

What is their significance? What is the LORD telling us?

I link several key passages in scripture to revealing the full significance of animal sacrifice and its implications. I will forego an entire walk through of Atonement... but I will highlight the deep importance of getting this excellent point integrated into one's understanding of the Gospel.

Genesis is the first place that really busts this wide open.

Gen. 22:8 And Abraham said, “My son, God will provide for Himself the lamb for a burnt offering.” So the two of them went together. ...​

So much is valuble in this passage... but I'll jump to the point.

Gen. 22:14 And Abraham called the name of the place, The-Lord-Will-Provide; as it is said to this day, “In the Mount of the Lord it shall be provided.”​

YH(V/W)H Provides ... or Jehovah Jirah... as many understand this "Name of God".

The next passage is parallel to Cain and Able...

Gen. 11:4 And they said, “Come, let us build ourselves a city, and a tower whose top is in the heavens; let us make a name for ourselves, lest we be scattered abroad over the face of the whole earth.”​

The Tower of Babel is a tale of mankind attempting to make a name for themselves through the work of their hands. "Confusion" is what Babel means and ... Religion past the Pure and Undefiled kind that James describes is "Confusion". If the Lord doesn't provide everything in a salvational belief system... then that system is building a tower of confusion... Just like Cain... as he tried to offer the Labor of his flesh in "the dust of the earth" to YHWH.

Genesis 9:4 But flesh with the life thereof, which is the blood thereof, shall ye not eat.​

This correlates with two specific passages...

John 6:53 So Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you"... and back to John 6:29 "Jesus answered them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in him whom he has sent." ... which binds to "Jehovah Jirah". ... and now to jump to John 6:63 "It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh is no help at all. The words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life."​

John 6:63 is Jesus explaining that no effort of "Creation" can Save a man. Only HIS "Provision" is pleasing to God... unto Salvation.

This is why we have this...

Hebrews 9:13 For if the blood of bulls and of goats, and the ashes of an heifer sprinkling the unclean, sanctifieth to the purifying of the flesh:

14 How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?

15 And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.

16 For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator.​

Because Jesus is our Propitiation and the "Testator"... we know that He is our only Provision of Salvation and because the Testator is none other than YHWH... we know that YHWH is Jesus is YWHH is Jesus... ahem... well... you get the picture.

Now... about blood and life... Leviticus is the cinch up to inquisition into this matter.

Leviticus 17:11 For the life of the flesh is in the blood, and I have given it to you upon the altar to make atonement for your souls; for it is the blood that makes atonement for the soul.’​

That about covers it... so... I'll call that a wrap for this response.

This is a crucial OP and thread, Jerry! Thank you for taking the time to work it up.

- [MENTION=18375]Evil.Eye.<(I)>[/MENTION]

Jerry Shugart

This is a crucial OP and thread, Jerry! Thank you for taking the time to work it up.

Thanks for your response, EE!

I am amazed at the lack of interest in this subject from those who believe what is written in the OT but do not believe what is written in the NT. So far the following is the only thing which I have found in regard to the subject of this thread written by the Jews:

"The process of bringing a sacrifice focused attention on the seriousness of the unintentional transgression. An animal was offered to remind us that we were careless with our animal passions; the animal needed to be unblemished, so during the examination process, we would look for and contemplate our own blemishes. The taking of the animal’s life reminded us of the severity of disobeying God."

That certainly does not answer how killing a bullock could possibly serve to make atonement for the Israelite who brought the offering:

"If his offering be a burnt sacrifice of the herd, let him offer a male without blemish: he shall offer it of his own voluntary will at the door of the tabernacle of the congregation before the LORD. And he shall put his hand upon the head of the burnt offering; and it shall be accepted for him to make atonement for him"
(Lev.1:3-4).​

Perhaps there is someone on this forum other than a Christian who wants to explain why animal sacrifices were an integral part of the religion which the LORD gave to the children of Israel??

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
Thanks for your response, EE!

I am amazed at the lack of interest in this subject from those who believe what is written in the OT but do not believe what is written in the NT. So far the following is the only thing which I have found in regard to the subject of this thread written by the Jews:

"The process of bringing a sacrifice focused attention on the seriousness of the unintentional transgression. An animal was offered to remind us that we were careless with our animal passions; the animal needed to be unblemished, so during the examination process, we would look for and contemplate our own blemishes. The taking of the animal’s life reminded us of the severity of disobeying God."

That certainly does not answer how killing a bullock could possibly serve to make atonement for the Israelite who brought the offering:

"If his offering be a burnt sacrifice of the herd, let him offer a male without blemish: he shall offer it of his own voluntary will at the door of the tabernacle of the congregation before the LORD. And he shall put his hand upon the head of the burnt offering; and it shall be accepted for him to make atonement for him"
(Lev.1:3-4).​

Perhaps there is someone on this forum other than a Christian who wants to explain why animal sacrifices were an integral part of the religion which the LORD gave to the children of Israel??

While you're waiting for an advocate of the Law or an "Atheist" type that focuses on the "Barbaric" nature of "The God that demands Blood"... I'll cite my counter arguments to the minimulization of the implications of "Blood Atonement".

The "Sin of Omission" theory is easily dismissed with this verse...

Hebrews 10:4 For it is impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins.​

As for the angry God theory...

I believe it is creation that demands "destruction". From Satan to mankind... blood is an intimate obsession that reveals our "mortality".

God clearly knew this and moved in step with our comprehension and understanding. In human history, nothing has more philosophical implications than a "blood stained" battle field. Nothing is more telling of a mortal wound than a tremendous "loss of blood".

Blood oaths are a historical occurrence that signify absolute sincerity and finality.

Thus... the "Angry God" theory is merely a rebellion against "Bad Theology" and a lack of desire to believe in an Infinite, Loving Creator.

That's all for now. I sincerely hope this thread blows up with scripture and exciting debate.

- EE

Last edited:

Jerry Shugart

That's all for now. I sincerely hope this thread blows up with scripture and exciting debate.

Thanks, EE! There are plenty of Jews who argue that the Christian's interpretation of the meaning of blood sacrifices found in the OT is in error. But when it comes time for them to give their opinion of the meaning of those sacrifices they are strangely silent.

Where is the courage of their convictions?

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
Thanks, EE! There are plenty of Jews who argue that the Christian's interpretation of the meaning of blood sacrifices found in the OT is in error. But when it comes time for them to give their opinion of the meaning of those sacrifices they are strangely silent.

Where is the courage of their convictions?

I studied with a Jewish friend... several years back. He would see things in the OT... then his Rabbi would "assist" him in what they "really" meant.

I got to speak to his Rabbi and acknowledged all of our common ground. Then... I quoted that verse from Leviticus about the "Blood" atoning for the soul.

The Rabbi told me that blood sacrifice had no genuine meaning. I was cordial and recognized spiritual blindness for what it was.

Last edited:

Zeke

They represent carnal behavior acts and thoughts that need to be sacrificed not innocent animals, make yourself a.living sscrifice concerning the kingdom of God that is only shadowed by the flesh and blood kingdom seen with temporal eyes that blind one to the existing eternal one.

Jerry Shugart

They represent carnal behavior acts and thoughts that need to be sacrificed not innocent animals, make yourself a.living sscrifice concerning the kingdom of God that is only shadowed by the flesh and blood kingdom seen with temporal eyes that blind one to the existing eternal one.

So the LORD did not command innocent animals to be killed? Here we can see that the animal sacrifices found in the OT were according to the commandment of the LORD:

"An altar of earth thou shalt make unto me, and shalt sacrifice thereon thy burnt offerings, and thy peace offerings, thy sheep, and thine oxen: in all places where I record my name I will come unto thee, and I will bless thee"

Last edited:

Zeke

So the LORD did not command innocent animals to be killed? Here we can see that the animal sacrifices found in the OT were accordineg to the commandment of the LORD:

Well believe what you will the slaughter of sheep and bulocks were and still are symbolic teaching about the kingdom within you.

God's Truth

God commanded the sacrifice of animals, to atone for one's soul, to make one outwardly clean.
It was a teaching tool, a shadow of what was coming, Jesus Christ.
Jesus is the Lamb of God and his blood takes away the sins of the world.

chair

Jews have many opinions on why there were sacrifices. I don't feel encouraged to address this further, considering the tone of this thread.

maybe somebody can explain how a god-man sacrifice is supposed to accomplish something?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Jews have many opinions on why there were sacrifices. I don't feel encouraged to address this further, considering the tone of this thread.

maybe somebody can explain how a god-man sacrifice is supposed to accomplish something?
Shalom.

Hi chair. I am a Jew, being a proselyte and a convert. A god-man sacrifice accomplishes nothing, and does not exist.

Shalom.

Jacob

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned

Leave it to me and my big mouth. I won't answer you just yet, so I can watch how you get responded to and what discussion occurs.

Might I ask you what the various takes are that you know? I apologize if my earlier verbiage was distasteful. I was speaking within the perspective that you are aware I hold.

I know you are grounded in your ideas and I don't desire to convince you or debate with you... I'm genuinely interested in your input as it is from the heart of Judaism... locationally speaking.

Respectfully,

Evil.Eye

Editing in... I'm referring to my desire to understand your knowledge and perspectives on the various, Jewish understandings of Blood Sacrifice and Burnt offerings.

Jerry Shugart

The sentence upon sin is death: "For the wages of sin is death" (Ro.6:23). When a man sins he becomes spiritually dead. "Death" does not mean ceasing to exist, but instead means a "separation". Physical death is the separation of a man's soul from his physical body. Spiritual death is the separation of spirit of God from a man's soul. On the very day that Adam sinned by eating of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil he died spiritually:

"...for in the day that thou eastest therefore thou shall surely die"
(Gen.2:17).​

Adam did not die "physically" on the day that he ate from the forbidden tree but instead he died "spiritually."

Therefore, when a man sins the sentence upon him is death. No amount of good deeds can bring him righteousness after he sins. If he is ever to be justified in the sight of God it must be by the penalty being paid. He must be justified by death, "justified by blood" (Ro.5:9).

"For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him"
(2 Cor.5:21).​

daqq

Jerry, it has already been addressed in the following links which is probably same the reason why you posted this thread, #11, #27, #30, #33, #35, #36, #38, and therefore it really only boils down to the fact that you accept the scripture passages which support your carnal minded view and reject the scripture passages which refute your carnal minded understanding to your face.

daqq

Jerry, it has already been addressed in the following links which is probably same the reason why you posted this thread, #11, #27, #30, #33, #35, #36, #38, and therefore it really only boils down to the fact that you accept the scripture passages which support your carnal minded view and reject the scripture passages which refute your carnal minded understanding to your face.

First of all take look here:
Levitical Sacrifice and Heavenly Cult in Hebrews (5.1.2)

That link should hopefully take you right to the page I am attempting to reference, (which I simply found in a search, knowing what to look for). And the only reason I point you there is simply for the fact that αἱματεκχυσία can also mean "blood application", as stated therein, and should not be understood as pertaining to the shedding of blood, (slaughter), in the context of the Hebrews passage where it is found. The Hebrews passage clearly concerns the application of blood, and in this case the Testimony of Messiah represents his blood, (Testimony is Spirit, John 6:63, and his blood is the Spirit of Grace, Heb 10:29), and thus, the Testimony of Messiah must be applied to the disciple; both inside, (drinking of that Spirit, 1Cor 12:13), and outside, (hands-deeds-actions). The reason this is highly critical is because we ourselves are called to be living sacrifices, (in supernal Torah your heart is an "altar of adamah", (Exodus 20:24 and its companion passage Deut 5:29 reveal this supernal truth by way of the Parable of the Sower where the heart is the adamah-soil which must be tilled and purged of stones, weeds, and so on)).

Or, according to the context, which is cleansing or purification:

“And the tabernacle, and all of the service vessels alike, he had sprinkled with the blood.”
“And according to the law, nearly all things are purified by blood; and without the application of blood, there is no sending away, (remission).”

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Jerry Shugart
The LORD must have had some reason for stressing the importance of "blood" or "death" in His relationship with man.

What would you say is the reason for that?
Egregious mistake: the Father does not ask for "death", (as you imagine it, being physical in meaning).

Psalm 40:6, 7, 8
Psalm 50:7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
Psalm 51:14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
Hosea 14:1-2 KJV
Isaiah 1:10, 11, 12, 15
Isaiah 66:1, 2, 3
Jeremiah 7:21, 22, 23

Perhaps you can tell me why you have essentially rejected all the scripture passages which I just quoted? Better yet I will tell you why: because you see all things according to the carnal eyes and mind of the flesh. The same veil which Paul speaks of in 2Cor 3:13-18 therefore also remains over your own heart, mind, and eyes, to this day when you read the primary covenant. And that veil is only done away through and in Messiah, that is to say, by way of his Testimony and Doctrine because he expounds the Torah in his Testimony provided in the Gospel accounts in parables, proverbs, sayings, idioms, and all his teachings. That Testimony also represents his blood, as has already been said, and therefore you must apply that Testimony to yourself and in all your doctrine or you do not have the atonement provided through Messiah. Walking according to the flesh means you have nothing and you will end up with even less.

Jeremiah 7:21-26 KJV
21 Thus saith the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel; Put your burnt offerings unto your sacrifices, and eat flesh.
22 For I spake not unto your fathers, nor commanded them in the day that I brought them out of the land of Egypt, concerning burnt offerings or sacrifices:
23 But this thing commanded I them, saying, Obey my voice, and I will be your God, and ye shall be my people: and walk ye in all the ways that I have commanded you, that it may be well unto you.
24 But they hearkened not, nor inclined their ear, but walked in the counsels and in the imagination of their evil heart, and went backward, and not forward.
25 Since the day that your fathers came forth out of the land of Egypt unto this day I have even sent unto you all my servants the prophets, daily rising up early and sending them:
26 Yet they hearkened not unto me, nor inclined their ear, but hardened their neck: they did worse than their fathers.

Literal physical animal sacrifice results in blood guilt according to the scripture, (Psalm 51:14, Isaiah 1:15), and is the result of the imagination of an evil heart according to the above passage from Jeremiah, that is, the imagination of an evil heart that does not actually "hear" the Torah and rather walks according to belly, (just as the serpent was cursed to do from the beginning), which is the result of walking according to the lust of the flesh, (the lust to eat the cooked flesh of slain innocent creatures of Elohim).

So you went and found a more suitable translation to fit your taste buds? (the NIV), however that does not make it right and that is not what the original language says or means. Even Paul teaches you what animals and their sacrifices truly pertain to, and that is man, O man:

1 Corinthians 9:8-10 KJV
8 Say I these things as a man? or saith not the law the same also?
9 For it is written in the law of Moses, Thou shalt not muzzle the mouth of the ox that treadeth out the corn. Doth God take care for oxen?
10 Or saith he it altogether for our sakes? For our sakes, no doubt, this is written: that he that ploweth should plow in hope; and that he that thresheth in hope should be partaker of his hope.
11 If we have sown unto you spiritual things, is it a great thing if we shall reap your carnal things?

Does Elohim take care for oxen? or does He not say this altogether for our sakes? For our sakes no doubt this is written! (Deut 25:4). And he likewise speaks immediately of spiritual things in the same context quoted above: therefore it is not me who sees these things carnally but you because you neither understand Paul nor the Master who teaches these things in the Gospel accounts; which is no doubt one of the places where Paul gets this teaching from, (the Gospel of Luke, see Luke 13:15,16, 14:3,4,5). Likewise the prophets teach the same things as even the prophet Ezekiel speaks in the same manner, (Eze 39:17,18,19,20), and so likewise does the author of the Apocalypse where he quotes from the same passage of Ezekiel, (Rev 19:17,18). When your heart turns back toward the Father, like a prodigal son, perhaps then you will see: for there will be a great celebration in that day, yea, even the fatted calf will be slain, (Luke 15:23, ("all of them fatlings of Bashan", lol)). But as for now it is not like these supernal things can be explained to you while you are chowing down on a meat-lovers pizza; for your desire for that meat-lovers pizza has clouded your judgment when it comes to what the scripture actually teaches.

And not only do you reject the teachings of Paul but you also have already rejected the Testimony of the Master in many places including the following statement which has been quoted and expounbed to you in multiple threads and occasions:

All the Prophets and the Torah prophesied until Yohanan, (Matthew 11:13).

And Yohanan the Immerser is the Malak-Messenger-Angel of Exodus 23:20a according to the Master in the same Matthew passage: therefore the Torah remains, and in full force, because it is supernal and spiritual and because it was not even fully expounded and implemented until the Messiah came to expound it all in his parables, allegories, proverbs, sayings, idioms, and teachings found in the Gospel accounts. Unfortunately for you it is your own MADist carnal mindset which lies to you, and justifies you in your own mind, allowing you to tell yourself that the Testimony of Messiah does not apply to you personally in this your imaginary separate "age of grace" which you have concocted and carved out of the scripture for your own benefit.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
My opinion of the difference between Abel and Cain's sacrifice was not of the substance (flock or crop), but that Abel brought his with faith and Cain did not.

Both flock and crop were required by law to be offered to GOD.

Hebrews 11:4 KJV
(4) By faith Abel offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, by which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts: and by it he being dead yet speaketh.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
My opinion of the difference between Abel and Cain's sacrifice was not of the substance (flock or crop), but that Abel brought his with faith and Cain did not.

(4) By faith Abel offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, by which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts: and by it he being dead yet speaketh.

By faith, Abel understood the necessity of substitutional death (bloodshed) to atone for sin.

Faith can be placed in anything . . Abel's faith was placed in the Covenant God gave his mother in Genesis 3:15, that God would send a male child from the womb, who would rectify the death that Satan caused. God honored Abel's blood offering, that bespoke of faith in the promised Messiah.

The initial and ancient Law of God declared a "tooth for a tooth" according to the eternal principle, that without the shedding of blood (loss of life) there is no remission of the sin of causing the loss of life in another . . which was the horror of Satan's deception of Adam and Eve.

Everyone would to well to read "The Death of Death in the Death of Jesus Christ" by John Owen. It is online.

God's Truth

Abel sacrificed an animal to God, as did Noah, and so did Job, and so did Abraham, all before the law as given to Moses.