Alt-righter plows into crowd of anti-racists in Charlottesville

Danoh

That moron doesn't have any memory. He knows I don't have a PC. I can quote a whole post, but it takes an enormous amount of time to erase all the parts I'm not quoting and then go back and put quote function brackets around each and every section that is pertinent. Perhaps he does know that and is just deliberately slandering me about it.

Simple solution.

Just quote the whole thing within a Spoiler, and then reference what you are responding to with a number 1 - , 2 - , and so on, for each of the points you are responding to.

For way long posts by someone, just cut to the chase of your main points.

Rom. 5:8

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Town Elton keeps sending me VMs to tell me I'm not a friend to anyone and he has given up on me again. What a wuss. If he can't control what people say and think, he takes his toys and goes home. Townie boy got butthurt by your lack of deep admiration and limitless respect for a left wing protester, and since I sided with you, he got butthurt again. The little girl peppers me with VMs and changes his profile so I can't send any to him. He's the biggest crybaby snowflake on TOL
Yeah, and I saw where he was trying to tell you to help me understand the error of my ways.
He can't see past his own nose, and is trying to tell me how I really feel and what the intent of my heart is.
Now he's telling you how you should feel, and twist it to paint you in a bad light for not seeing it his way.
What a joke.

musterion

orwell-free-speech-1.png

musterion

Difference:

The Right: will dispute, debate, ridicule or simply ignore you as a fool if you disagree with us.

The Left: will seek to disrupt society and personally destroy you, if need be, in order to silence you because you disagree with them.

The Right: As long as you are not causing immediate harm or depriving anyone else of their rights, you can say what you want.

The Left: If you disagree with us on pretty much any issue, you will be silenced by any means necessary.

Arthur Brain

Difference:

The Right: will dispute, debate, ridicule or simply ignore you as a fool if you disagree with us.

The Left: will seek to disrupt society and personally destroy you, if need be, in order to silence you because you disagree with them.

The Right: As long as you are not causing immediate harm or depriving anyone else of their rights, you can say what you want.

The Left: If you disagree with us on pretty much any issue, you will be silenced by any means necessary.

Not that I'd mind if you were silent as such but who exactly is trying to enforce such silence, cos it ain't working obviously...

:eek:

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Difference:

Great post

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Difference:

The Real Right, not musterion's sickly-sweet fake version of TheRightWhoCanDoNoWrong:

I witnessed a terrorist attack in Charlottesville. Then the conspiracy theories began.

By Brennan Gilmore

Last Sunday evening, I received a worried call from my sister asking if I had spoken with my mother and father. I had spent the day doing interviews about the vehicle attack I witnessed the day before while protesting the Unite the Right rally in Charlottesville and had not been in front of a computer all day. She told me that my parents’ home address had been posted on a neo-Nazi conspiracy theorist message board.

“They are suggesting that you arranged the attack, Brennan,” she said. “There are death threats against you.”

On Saturday morning, I witnessed James Fields smash his car into a crowd of demonstrators, killing Heather Heyer and wounding 19 others. Although I immediately shared the footage with police on the scene, it took me a half-hour to decide to post it publicly. I was concerned about how the footage might be used by the "alt-right" and felt uncomfortable knowing that I had probably filmed someone’s death. I did not want the attention posting the video was likely to bring. I consulted with friends and family, some of whom were also at the counterprotest and some of whom were watching the coverage from outside Charlottesville. They all urged me to share the video, and when I heard from friends that some media outlets were suggesting that it might have been an accident or that the driver might have been attempting to escape an angry mob, I knew I had to post it. The video I took—and the scene I witnessed with my own two eyes—clearly showed the attack was intentional. Fields drove down two empty blocks and plowed straight into the crowd before fleeing in reverse.

So I tweeted it out. . . .

Hours after an interview I did with Alex Witt of MSNBC, neo-Nazi commentators started posting about me on 4chan, Reddit and YouTube. These crack researchers bragged that they had discovered I worked for the State Department (it’s in my Twitter bio), that I have a connection to George Soros (he very publicly donated to the campaign of my former boss, Tom Perriello), and that I spent time in Africa working in conflict areas (information available in major news outlets).

Desperate to lay blame on anyone besides the alt-right, they seized on these facts to suggest a counter-narrative to the attack, claiming there was no way that someone with my background just happened to be right there to take the video. Even ignoring the fact that someone with my background—raised in Virginia, UVA graduate, lives in Charlottesville, worked to resolve ethnic conflicts overseas, politically progressive—is exactly the kind of person you’d expect to find at a protest against Nazis, their theories were absurd and illogical. They wrote that I was a CIA operative, funded by (choose your own adventure) George Soros, Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama, the IMF/World Bank, and/or a global Jewish mafia to orchestrate the Charlottesville attack in order to turn the general public against the alt-right. I had staged the attack and then worked with MSNBC and other outlets controlled by the left to spread propaganda. They claimed my ultimate goal was to start a race war that would undermine and then overthrow Donald Trump on behalf of the “Deep State.” . . . .

Normally, I would have just ignored these threats and certainly would not have commented on them publicly. I consider it an honor to be attacked by people who have none, and I am willing to put up with personal risk to speak out against Nazis. I believe that it is incumbent on white people in particular to take the risks necessary to confront and restrain white supremacists, given the inherent and intentional risk they present to all communities of color.

My parents feel similarly and took having their address posted online by hate groups in stride. Within days a letter showed up in their mail, containing four pages of text explaining why I would burn in in hell, as well as a suspicious white powder. While the powder was a hoax, their local police department took all the threats seriously, confiscated the letter and stepped up patrols around the house. My parents’ sole precaution was to pick the remaining tomatoes from their garden, “so the Nazis wouldn’t get them.” Even in the South, there must be a limit to our hospitality.

First, at some point during the week, it occurred to me that there was a pretty good chance these conspiracy theories had made their way to the White House. While they initially appeared only on obscure, wacko sites with pictures of bald eagles shooting machine guns, within 72 hours, they had gone “mainstream.” Infowars posted a “bombshell” investigation into Charlottesville that showed it was all a Soros plot, and I was the key operative. The president of the United States has been a guest on the very show that echoed theories suggesting I was, at best, an accessory to murder and, at worst, the orchestrator of the entire event, including hiring Nazi and antifa actors, staging a confrontation, and then working with allies in the mainstream “leftist” media to blind the world to the “reality.”

. . . .​

fool

Hall of Fame
I'm more interested in the real intent behind your question, which implies: she deserved it.
Thank you for that beautiful example of the logical fallacy Appeal to Motive.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_motive
Appeal to motive is a pattern of argument which consists in challenging a thesis by calling into question the motives of its proposer. It can be considered as a special case of the ad hominem circumstantial argument. As such, this type of argument may be an informal fallacy.

A common feature of appeals to motive is that only the possibility of a motive (however small) is shown, without showing the motive actually existed or, if the motive did exist, that the motive played a role in forming the argument and its conclusion. Indeed, it is often assumed that the mere possibility of motive is evidence enough.

1. That intersection is the outer boundary of the downtown pedestrian mall. I don't know if the crowd spilled out onto the outer street, and whether or not their permit allowed it.
Well let's see, there's cars stuck in that intersection in all directions and the whole thing is full of people so I'ma go with permit not allowing it because if it did there would be no cars there.

2. The reason she died is because a crazed alt-righter accelerated into a crowd of people and smashed into them.
So, here's the question again;

Quote Originally Posted by fool
So, what was the woman doing between two cars in an intersection?

You know that.
You're a horrible mind reader.

Yet you want to dance around asking why she was in between two cars.
I'm certain that I'm not dancing around. I'm sitting at a computer asking, again:

Quote Originally Posted by fool
So, what was the woman doing between two cars in an intersection?
You're the one dancing around.

Why not have the guts to say outright what you're really thinking?
Because rational people gather facts, then form opinions. Are you ready to join us?

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Thank you for that beautiful example of the logical fallacy Appeal to Motive.

That's nice.

Regardless, your question still implies it was her fault.

Really. So when I said:

2. The reason she died is because a crazed alt-righter accelerated into a crowd of people and smashed into them.

You know that.

You responded with:

:chuckle:

So I gave you the benefit of the doubt by saying that you knew she died because a crazed alt-righter smashed into the crowd?

Wow. Okay.

Because rational people gather facts, then form opinions. Are you ready to join us?

If your kind of rational is going to see her death as her fault - then no. Your rationality is suspect.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
First, at some point during the week, it occurred to me that there was a pretty good chance these conspiracy theories had made their way to the White House. While they initially appeared only on obscure, wacko sites with pictures of bald eagles shooting machine guns, within 72 hours, they had gone “mainstream.” Infowars posted a “bombshell” investigation into Charlottesville that showed it was all a Soros plot, and I was the key operative. The president of the United States has been a guest on the very show that echoed theories suggesting I was, at best, an accessory to murder and, at worst, the orchestrator of the entire event, including hiring Nazi and antifa actors, staging a confrontation, and then working with allies in the mainstream “leftist” media to blind the world to the “reality.”

Perfect. A long time ago, I had a brief time when I ran a psych ward in the AF. During training, they talked briefly about paranoia. The key is, these people can seem almost entirely normal aside from whatever their obsession is, and no matter how much contrary evidence is presented, they will find a way to weave it into their rats-nest of conspiracy beliefs.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Town writes:
Her concern for her own safety meant less to her, in the final analysis, than what she was trying to do that day. I think that's the sort of person we hope our children turn into, agree with them or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Tambora View Post
Can be said of all that were there.

Barbarian observes:
Maybe it's O.K. for your kids...
protesters-with-conferderate-and-nazi-flags.png

Now YOU want to jump on the train to twist what I say????

I restored the context you deleted to make it appear that I meant something else.

Ya'll are just pure evil.

I won't say you're evil, but you aren't trustworthy.

Learning more and more about some rightwingers on this site and how they operate.

fool

Hall of Fame
Town Elton keeps sending me VMs to tell me I'm not a friend to anyone and he has given up on me again. What a wuss. If he can't control what people say and think, he takes his toys and goes home. Townie boy got butthurt by your lack of deep admiration and limitless respect for a left wing protester, and since I sided with you, he got butthurt again. The little girl peppers me with VMs and changes his profile so I can't send any to him. He's the biggest crybaby snowflake on TOL

I think you and Town are very intelligent people. I have a lot of very intelligent people around me all day on the construction site. Some are abrasive, but I see them for what they are, tools. I have the thickest skin of them all. If a guy wants to vent I let him vent, and then talk him back from the ledge. Because I need him on the task.

What's "The Task" around here?

Figuring out how we're supposed to treat each other.

On a Universe wide scale because we're the only molecules asking right now.

TOL is a zoo. You're here to study the animals in the zoo. If you kick out the animals you don't like then you defeat the purpose of the whole exercise.

AND,as each of us studies the zoo we are on display ourselves.
That's what it means to participate.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
I think you and Town are very intelligent people. I have a lot of very intelligent people around me all day on the construction site. Some are abrasive, but I see them for what they are, tools. I have the thickest skin of them all. If a guy wants to vent I let him vent, and then talk him back from the ledge. Because I need him on the task.

What's "The Task" around here?

Figuring out how we're supposed to treat each other.

On a Universe wide scale because we're the only molecules asking right now.

TOL is a zoo. You're here to study the animals in the zoo. If you kick out the animals you don't like then you defeat the purpose of the whole exercise.

AND,as each of us studies the zoo we are on display ourselves.
That's what it means to participate.
I agree. Opposing views are what makes this place interesting. I don't appreciate getting scolded in my visitor messages and then the person changes their profile so I can't send one back. I have been abrasive and angry in my posts lately because of the rampant unfair criticism of our President, the mainstream media and entertainment industry and every democrat politician. There's a group of Republicans that aren't much better. I didn't come here to make friends and I have very few but this is the second time Town "cancelled" our "friendship" as if he can't be friends if I thank certain posts or take somebody else's side in chiding him.

It's petty. He won, I am angry about it and I gave him an earful in a rep message, stooping to new low here and a well deserved ban. I've been stressed out about my health and other things in my life this year and I don't want to take it out on other members but I guess I do. I'm a jerk and I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer and I accept that. However, I do know enough about the resistance and obstruction of this President and the anti-American left wing agenda to hate it.

ClimateSanity

Not that I'd mind if you were silent as such but who exactly is trying to enforce such silence, cos it ain't working obviously...

:eek:
The left who has power, not you guys on TOL, would shut this site down if not for the efforts of the moderators, plus the probability we are not on their radar screen like info wars is.
Actually, town does his best to shut us up by reporting us to the moderators. It looks like he succeeded at shutting up doser again for instance.

Danoh

Perfect. A long time ago, I had a brief time when I ran a psych ward in the AF. During training, they talked briefly about paranoia. The key is, these people can seem almost entirely normal aside from whatever their obsession is, and no matter how much contrary evidence is presented, they will find a way to weave it into their rats-nest of conspiracy beliefs.

Its exactly the same case over in the various "theology" forums - all sorts of people reading one conspiracy or another into the words of who ever calls them out - including many of those doing the calling out :chuckle:

Seriously, though, I can see why such types end up upset all the time.

Each is to committed to their left or their right - which ever their flavor might be.

Very few are willing, if able, to look at things from a middle ground - where all is continually given the benefit of the doubt each time anew, and as a result, there is no need to stress out.

Or as one individual put that long, long ago...

Philippians 4:11 Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.