Abuse or discipline?

LKmommy

He made it clear he was directing that toward her, though.

Yeah, sorry A4T, Av got you mixed up with me. I was not aware I was in the running for "most favorite" but coming from anyone left of center I will take that as a compliment even in sarcasm.

For the record Av, perverted has many meanings and it can be used for other things besides the actions of homosexuals. Another fine example of how every word has new meanings of only being associated with homosexuals.

xAvarice

BANNED
Banned
Yeah, sorry A4T, Av got you mixed up with me. I was not aware I was in the running for "most favorite" but coming from anyone left of center I will take that as a compliment even in sarcasm.

For the record Av, perverted has many meanings and it can be used for other things besides the actions of homosexuals. Another fine example of how every word has new meanings of only being associated with homosexuals.

I did not even intend sarcasm, although I'm relieved my praise wasn't thought of as capitulation. =P

Yourself and lighthouse are right, it was inaccurate of me to say such a thing - but what I meant was that it seems to be a loaded term that seems to appear most often when attacking homosexuality, I just cannot see any other use for it otherwise?

Perverts just aren't what they used to be!

As for left of centre, I think the affability may occur due to the fact that I'm so left, I'm right, it only takes 3 turns, don't you know?

Or, what you would possibly describe as me being so wrong I'm right, either way - I accept.

angietaylormpcc

I feel it has to do with the crime in a sense. If my child goes to stick there hand on a hot stove for example and I have already said no hot a few times a tap , and I say tap on the hand and a sharp No Hot . Is fine . Just as if your child runs from you in a busy parking lot a tap on the bottom and a sharp No Danger is fine . I do not think smacking a child or a spanking for say leaving there shoes out is . There are fine lines as with anything .

Cloaked

There are actually some benefits of spanking emerging. They have traditionally had a problem in spanking studies to have a control group of children, or a group that was not spanked that matched the socio-economic background of the spanked group, as pretty much everyone who is grown has been spanked at some point, even if you don't remember it.

In studies there is evidence that spanking is showing to have a connection to acheivement of children. And another study shows how laws banning spanking or inhibiting parents in how they discipline their children actually hurt their kids.

I've always felt that spanking, if done calmly and consistently can be very good for some children. I think it should be a last resort, and really should not be done into adolescence (really greater than 6 y.o. even), but for some children there really is few things they respond to as well.

My oldest son is one of these children. He is terribly smart and curious, but internally emotional, and stubborn. He is very, very hard to distract (as everyone who has ever supervised him can attest to) and if he wants to do something he will not merely forget about what he's doing by asking him questions or trying to get him to play a game, or really anything.....he is my son and I have the same tendancies. Sometimes the only thing that can get him to leave a subject/toy/project/etc... that is sending him down the tantrum road is to bring up a spanking.

He does fear it, but he's 3 and rarely ever actually gets spanked. It flat out works where nothing else has.

I also think that we talk about spankings and abuse too often in our society, when we should be talking about how spoiled our children are. How they lack boundries, and aren't being held accountable. There are just too many parents who are not grown up enough themselves to be a parent and actually be in charge, so their kids are. I see this permissive parenting constantly at the gym, at the playground, and at preschool. This is a much wider reaching issue than abuse, which is terrible to the individual, but not a slow bleed issue on our greater society.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
There are actually some benefits of spanking emerging. They have traditionally had a problem in spanking studies to have a control group of children, or a group that was not spanked that matched the socio-economic background of the spanked group, as pretty much everyone who is grown has been spanked at some point, even if you don't remember it.

In studies there is evidence that spanking is showing to have a connection to acheivement of children. And another study shows how laws banning spanking or inhibiting parents in how they discipline their children actually hurt their kids.

I've always felt that spanking, if done calmly and consistently can be very good for some children. I think it should be a last resort, and really should not be done into adolescence (really greater than 6 y.o. even), but for some children there really is few things they respond to as well.

My oldest son is one of these children. He is terribly smart and curious, but internally emotional, and stubborn. He is very, very hard to distract (as everyone who has ever supervised him can attest to) and if he wants to do something he will not merely forget about what he's doing by asking him questions or trying to get him to play a game, or really anything.....he is my son and I have the same tendancies. Sometimes the only thing that can get him to leave a subject/toy/project/etc... that is sending him down the tantrum road is to bring up a spanking.

He does fear it, but he's 3 and rarely ever actually gets spanked. It flat out works where nothing else has.

I also think that we talk about spankings and abuse too often in our society, when we should be talking about how spoiled our children are. How they lack boundries, and aren't being held accountable. There are just too many parents who are not grown up enough themselves to be a parent and actually be in charge, so their kids are. I see this permissive parenting constantly at the gym, at the playground, and at preschool. This is a much wider reaching issue than abuse, which is terrible to the individual, but not a slow bleed issue on our greater society.
:thumb:

Sorry but I can't read that post with a straight face.
Rational thought will do that to some people; they laugh nervously because they can't comprehend reality when it is presented.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
picture.php

xAvarice

BANNED
Banned
Okay, here's what I found amusing.

There are actually some benefits of spanking emerging.

As opposed to adults doing it before because they can't control their anger, now there is justification! Yay.

They have traditionally had a problem in spanking studies

I'm sure they did.

...to have a control group of children, or a group that was not spanked that matched the socio-economic background of the spanked group, as pretty much everyone who is grown has been spanked at some point, even if you don't remember it.

And that's apparently changed now? How so?

I'll give you 5 against it for every one showing positive outcomes? Although, I suppose something as sinister as hitting your child must have a positive effect somewhere, save money on stress relievers, huh?

Cloaked said:
My oldest son is one of these children...
...Sometimes the only thing that can get him to leave a subject/toy/project/etc... that is sending him down the tantrum road is to bring up a spanking.

Then what are you talking about? You're making an argument for the efficacy of spanking yet you don't have the courage to admit to your own application of the technique? You've just shown that you can control your child through threatening them with castigation, so what is left of your argument?

Either tell me that you cannot properly parent a child without hitting them or cessate.

Cloaked said:
I also think that we talk about spankings and abuse too often in our society, when we should be talking about how spoiled our children are.

Yes, let's ignore children getting abused and tell them how spoilt they are, that seems much more fair.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
As opposed to adults doing it before because they can't control their anger, now there is justification! Yay.
For those with a brain who know how to use it to reason and think critically and rationally; good parents can control their anger, and will spank before they even have the chance to get angry.