Abuse or discipline?

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
You know annabenedetti I have worked with abused kids and I was one growing up. Using a belt or some other object besides the hand yes that is abuse, like when they get in trouble for like making a mess breaking a window something along that line, is punishment. But when you take a weapon like a belt or a wooden spoon that is abuse. There are kids and adults who were abused as kids agree with me on this, because their parents weren't smart enough to stop when the child was quivering.

"...because their parents weren't smart enough to stop when the child was quivering."

Reading that just breaks my heart. You're not the first one to say something similar to me after other comments I've made on this subject. I'm sorry that you were abused, and glad that you've been able to help other abused kids. You and the kids you work with can break out of the cycle in which you were raised. It doesn't have to be repeated.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I got plenty of whippings when i was a child, and i am just fine, never considered i was being "beaten" but spanked and never thought i got one that i did not have coming. Got my mouth boxed a few times too for smarting off to my mother and also knew i had it coming.

Spanking is not abuse imo and all corrections need not be a spanking and it doesn't work with all children. There is quite a difference though in a spanking and a beating.

Thunder's Muse

I got plenty of whippings when i was a child, and i am just fine, never considered i was being "beaten" but spanked and never thought i got one that i did not have coming. Got my mouth boxed a few times too for smarting off to my mother and also knew i had it coming.

Spanking is not abuse imo and all corrections need not be a spanking and it doesn't work with all children. There is quite a difference though in a spanking and a beating.

It's also interesting how those spankings had a different affect on my siblings and I.

I learned very quickly...If I do that, I will get a spanking...

My youngest sister learned... If I do that and get caught, I will get a spanking...so just don't get caught :chuckle:

lightbringer

TOL Subscriber
And then there are those that will not cry, whine or scream during punishment and it usually earns them a longer beating.

At first it was to show I could take my punishment, then after the punishment got worse, it was simply to show that no matter what, no one would ever see me weaken.

No child needs corporal punishment but they do need an adult for a parent, one that will maintain proper guidance that does not change from day to day, if you become wishy washy or heavy handed with a child you will lose them. Then it will become a game of will or wit that most parents will lose.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
And then there are those that will not cry, whine or scream during punishment and it usually earns them a longer beating.

At first it was to show I could take my punishment, then after the punishment got worse, it was simply to show that no matter what, no one would ever see me weaken.

That's so hard to read. I don't even know what to say.

No child needs corporal punishment but they do need an adult for a parent, one that will maintain proper guidance that does not change from day to day, if you become wishy washy or heavy handed with a child you will lose them. Then it will become a game of will or wit that most parents will lose.
I agree. Thank you for saying it.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
When nuns in catholic school used to smack knuckles with a ruler, was that abuse?

Depends on why they were smacking them.

I was smacked on mine in elementary school (not catholic) because i started out left handed and the teacher kept saying i needed to place the pencil in the "proper" hand. I became right handed quick enough when i got sick of getting hit with it. But i still to this day hold a pen and pencil resting on my right ring finger instead of resting on my middle finger like everyone else and people when they see me write, ask how in the world i write like that.

I cant write any better than a child when i hold it like everyone else does that is right handed and i cant write with my left hand at all anymore and havent been able to since i was a child.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Do you think spanking a child Abuse or discipline?

Since spanking is definded as punishment, it is love. Punching him or her in the mouth isn't spaking. Or some other variation.

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
Since spanking is definded as punishment, it is love. Punching him or her in the mouth isn't spaking. Or some other variation.

Burning with cigarettes? Probably abuse.

Slamming their head in the car door? Probably abuse.

Brass knuckles? Probably abuse.

Beating with a tire iron? Probably abuse.

Two or three smacks with a ruler or switch across a bare bottom in such a manner as not to break the skin?

Probably not abuse.

Other's opinions may differ.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Two or three smacks with a ruler or switch across a bare bottom in such a manner as not to break the skin?

Probably not abuse.

If it isn't punishment, and just for the sake of doing, then I think it is wrong.

Like everything else in the faith, it all boils down to the attitude of the heart.

I don't think so, maybe you can explain. Everything for those in Christ is not a sin. Everything, including good works, for those outside of Christ, is sin. Attitude is not a part of it.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
That's what I was going to say. Whenever I got mad at :jessilu:, I would make her go to her room until I calmed down. Then, I would talk to her about what she did and ask her what she would rather her punishment be for the offense. She always said, "A spanking because it's over with." She really hated when I would ground her or take something away from her.
I remember seeing a friend put her son in the corner one time; he cried the entire time. I had spanked him before when I was babysitting and I talked to him beforehand and after. He only cried for maybe a minute. I never got angry, I prefer to act before getting angry. I never yelled at him. His mother did not act immediately beside telling him over and over to stop doing something, until she eventually yelled at him.

You know annabenedetti I have worked with abused kids and I was one growing up. Using a belt or some other object besides the hand yes that is abuse, like when they get in trouble for like making a mess breaking a window something along that line, is punishment. But when you take a weapon like a belt or a wooden spoon that is abuse. There are kids and adults who were abused as kids agree with me on this, because their parents weren't smart enough to stop when the child was quivering.
I was abused as a child and I was also lovingly disciplined. I definitely know the difference, and the usage of a paddle or other wooden object is not something I consider abuse. I have a friend who used to post on TOL who considers using the hand to spank wrong, because hands are for embracing your children; so he uses a paddle to spank.

Now, in the usage of paddles, etc. it is never necessary to give more than two or three whacks, IMHO. And as I illustrated above in my response to Nori one should always discuss with the child before and after the spanking as to why the spanking is taking place, which no only includes the action on the part of the child that warranted discipline, but also the fact that you love them and are disciplining them because you love them and you want them to learn right from wrong and to grow up to be a well mannered adult. Also it is unnecessary to strike hard enough to leave a bruise or a welt, IMHO, but it is worthless if you leave no mark.

I am personally opposed to the usage of belts, but I do not stand against those who do if they are not abusive.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
His mother did not act immediately beside telling him over and over to stop doing something, until she eventually yelled at him.

It's unfortunate the mother didn't handle the situation more effectively. Things would've gone better had she acted to positively direct her child from the outset.

Parents (not directing this particularly at your friend) often don't respond and interact with their children, whether out of distraction or disinterest or laziness or what have you, and then when the child's done everything possible to get their attention, they finally get negative attention when the parent blows up. Oftentimes children are just plain tired or hungry or discombobulated in some way because they're children - so often the little ones just want to be picked up and hugged, not told to "Shut your mouth or I"ll slap it shut" or "When your father gets home, you're going to get what you got coming so you better be scared...." both of which I've heard said to little kids sitting miserably in shopping carts at the grocery store way too late at night.

I was abused as a child and I was also lovingly disciplined. I definitely know the difference, and the usage of a paddle or other wooden object is not something I consider abuse.
I'm on record here as disagreeing with your view on paddles and other wooden objects.

I have a friend who used to post on TOL who considers using the hand to spank wrong, because hands are for embracing your children; so he uses a paddle to spank.
Disassociation. Of the parent, not the child. He's not helping the child disassociate the paddle from his "embracing" hands. More likely distancing himself from the vague guilt which may accompany the hitting of his precious children with a wooden implement.

Now, in the usage of paddles, etc. it is never necessary to give more than two or three whacks, IMHO. And as I illustrated above in my response to Nori one should always discuss with the child before and after the spanking as to why the spanking is taking place, which no only includes the action on the part of the child that warranted discipline, but also the fact that you love them and are disciplining them because you love them and you want them to learn right from wrong and to grow up to be a well mannered adult. Also it is unnecessary to strike hard enough to leave a bruise or a welt, IMHO, but it is worthless if you leave no mark.
It is entirely possible to raise well-mannered adults without striking them as children.

And your line I bolded?

That's the mentality I just cannot fathom. At all.

And if you think it's worthless to leave no mark, you've negated completely the argument that spanking isn't abusive as long as you don't leave a mark. In your estimation then, all those who spank gently aren't accomplishing a thing...except showing their kids that the best way to show displeasure is to hit someone.

I am personally opposed to the usage of belts, but I do not stand against those who do if they are not abusive.
But a belt has to leave a mark, right? Yet you said without a mark it's worthless. So either it's abusive...or it's worthless. You can't have it both ways.

And that "I am personally opposed..." line sounds awfully familiar somehow...:think:

Arthur Brain

Depends on why they were smacking them.

I was smacked on mine in elementary school (not catholic) because i started out left handed and the teacher kept saying i needed to place the pencil in the "proper" hand. I became right handed quick enough when i got sick of getting hit with it. But i still to this day hold a pen and pencil resting on my right ring finger instead of resting on my middle finger like everyone else and people when they see me write, ask how in the world i write like that.

I cant write any better than a child when i hold it like everyone else does that is right handed and i cant write with my left hand at all anymore and havent been able to since i was a child.

You were abused with this. It horrifies me to think there are still institutions that think being left handed is somehow "improper". It's utterly draconian (not to mention bonkers) to think such is 'evil' and is a result of the most appalling ignorance. The mind boggles...

Arthur Brain

Probably not abuse.

Your first four examples are definite abuse and anyone who differs with that opinion is an outright gimp and any children they have should be taken away from such an abusive parent for their own protection. Disagree?

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It really depends on *how* it is done. Spanking on anything other than the rear or breaking the skin or causing bruising, would be abusive. The intent is to make it sting enough to not be forgotten but not severe enough to cause injury.

The intention should always be to show love and send the message "I would rather cause you a few moments of discomfort than have you be permanently scarred or harmed for life".

Also, it's always better to wait until there is no anger involved when disciplining. IF the spanking is accompanied by swearing, yelling and/or derogatory name-calling, no child would see such an action as loving.

lightbringer

TOL Subscriber
It is worthless if it doesn't leave a mark.

:rotfl: I'm hoping this comment would be reconsidered by any adult that allows it to run through their mind as an indication of the tendency towards brutality by the individual proposing it. Striking one that we supposedly love in a manner to mare the skin, and just think, in order to know when you have left your mark, the child (age ? O-18 but I'm sure those thinking like this have some arbitrary age that is appropriate so that it wouldn't be considered something else) has to be unclothed (naked) so you are also heaping embarrassment on top of brutality, a scary train of thought.

It goes hand in hand with "I'm doing this because I love you" and "this hurts me more than it does you" . :rotfl: two of my personal favorites, any one that thinks like this needs help.... they weren't able to fathom it when I grew old enough to reply " Let me have the belt so that I can show you how much I love you". :rotfl:

You want to screw with a kids mind, say things that make no sense, then try to explain it rationally and you will really screw them up, but you won't even see your handy work until they are much older.

Disassociation...:rotfl: the play ground of a child's mind when his/her reality becomes to difficult to deal with for one so young.