Abortion///cont.

glassjester

No, I'm saying the mother is the doctor's priority.

I'm thinking it's impossible.

Either the baby cannot yet survive outside of his mother. In which case the baby cannot be saved without saving the mother.

Or the baby can survive outside of his mother. In which case the baby could be delivered early, if the mother could not be saved.

Either way, the baby would not be saved at the expense of the mother.

quip

BANNED
Banned

Rather, unconventional physical facts and circumstances blur the otherwise uncontested distinction. thus, we must respond accordingly. Not to rest our reasons upon convenient dissemblance.

Call me a liar again and I'm done with you on the point. Find your argumentative feet or simply stop talking to me. This is unacceptable.
I'll continue the claim of dissemblance as long as you continue to present your objection as not an intended default preclusion to the contitutional challenge of restricted liberty via reasonable, thorough examinations of both claim and counter-claim. What's not acceptable is doubling down against the liberties of women, by no less than autocratic rationale, obstructing the very process for its determination itself.

This not only defies reason and our process in defining our liberties by way of it.....it openly fears them.

Last edited:

quip

BANNED
Banned
This is true in both cases.

Not so. That would be the equivalent of claiming the lifeguard chose one swimmer over the other because one was closer or a better swimmer than the other.

That's precicely what your analogy was constructed against.

glassjester

Not so. That would be the equivalent of claiming the lifeguard chose one swimmer over the other because one was closer or a better swimmer than the other.

That's precicely what your analogy was constructed against.

Again...

- Two lives are imperiled (due to circumstances independent of the rescuer).
- If the rescuer does not act, both lives are lost.
- If the rescuer acts, one life may be saved.

All of those statements are true for both cases.
Your gripe seems to be that swimming is not the same as being pregnant.

This is special pleading.

quip

BANNED
Banned
Again...

- Two lives are imperiled (due to circumstances independent of the rescuer).
- If the rescuer does not act, both lives are lost.
- If the rescuer acts, one life may be saved.

All of those statements are true for both cases.
Your gripe seems to be that swimming is not the same as being pregnant.

This is special pleading.

I'm saying the doctor's priority is always with the mother given the equivalent particulars of the 'swimmers' analogy...entirely unlike the lifeguard who situationally must pick at random.

glassjester

I'm saying the doctor's priority is always with the mother given the equivalent particulars of the swimmers...entirely unlike the lifeguard who situationally must pick at random.

Simply because that is the patient he must save first, otherwise he certainly loses both.
This fact does not logically imply a greater intrinsic value of the mother's life.

Quite the opposite, in fact. The precedence of the effort to save the mother is due to the added value of the life of the unborn child. Treating the mother is the only way there can be a chance of saving both.

Anyway, who's to say the lifeguard chooses randomly? Might he not be justified in choosing to rescue the swimmer he judges to be the more likely to survive? If he attempts to rescue the swimmer that he thinks might die anyway, he risks losing both.

quip

BANNED
Banned
Simply because that is the patient he must save first, otherwise he certainly loses both.
This fact does not logically imply a greater intrinsic value of the mother's life.

Of course it does. You've just expressed the very necessesity ("must") of the hierarchy.

Quite the opposite, in fact. The precedence of the effort to save the mother is due to the added value of the life of the unborn child. Treating the mother is the only way there can be a chance of saving both.
Though, 'value-added' need not infer equal value.
(Plus the goal of the analogy was - specifically - the illustrated death of one over the other.)

Anyway, who's to say the lifeguard chooses randomly? Might he not be justified in choosing to rescue the swimmer he judges to be the more likely to survive? If he attempts to rescue the swimmer that he thinks might die anyway, he risks losing both.

You're arguing beyond the intended scope of the analogy.

glassjester

Agreed. But your analogy claims one death. You agree that it must be the fetus?

Most times, sure. But not due to a greater intrinsic value of either life.

And if the unborn child is able to survive outside of the womb, the child may survive the mother's death, rather than the other way around.

quip

BANNED
Banned
Most times, sure. But not due to a greater intrinsic value of either life.

Most time? If one (or else both) must die...give me an example where the mother must intentionally be killed, outside natural occurance or her choice to do so.

And if the unborn child is able to survive outside of the womb, the child may survive the mother's death, rather than the other way around.

Goes without saying. So, why say it?