ECT A warning to born-again believers who are sinning habitually

ZacharyB

Mat 5:48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.
Many teach that the Greek word for "perfect" can mean "mature".
This might work in the epistles, but not in Matthew 5 above.
Don't know if it's the same Greek word in both, however
(my lexicon is packed away in a box temporarily).

God's Truth

This boasting is excluded by the law of faith. Do you understand why that is?

Galatians 2:19-21
19 For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God. 20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. 21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.​

It is never ever shameful to obey Jesus or to preach obedience as the way.
Just listen to what Paul is saying, he is saying how he obeyed.

God's Truth

Jesus makes perfect those who obey him.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER

teleios- perfect, mature, complete
Same in both but context under the law versus context under grace must be considered.

If there could have been a law given which could have given life then truly, righteousness would have been by law.

Christ is my righteousness, my completion, my sufficiency and my perfection.

Gal 2:21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by law, then Christ is dead in vain.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Right on.

It was 'right on' during Christ's earthly ministry to Israel with the promised Davidic earthly kingdom being at hand. There's a different dispensation going on now for the nations/gentiles and.... for the last two thousand years.

Rom 15:8 Now I say that Jesus Christ was a minister of the circumcision for the truth of God, to confirm the promises made unto the fathers:
Rom 15:15 Nevertheless, brethren, I have written the more boldly unto you in some sort, as putting you in mind, because of the grace that is given to me of God,
Rom 15:16 That I should be the minister of Jesus Christ to the Gentiles, ministering the gospel of God, that the offering up of the Gentiles might be acceptable, being sanctified by the Holy Ghost.
Rom 15:17 I have therefore whereof I may glory through Jesus Christ in those things which pertain to God.
Rom 15:18 For I will not dare to speak of any of those things which Christ hath not wrought by me, to make the Gentiles obedient, by word and deed,

God's Truth

All that are truly saved are saved by faith/trust in Christ alone for their justification(GOD's verdict of "Not guilty!")

Rom 5:1 Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:

Faith that is alive with right action, not dead faith; dead faith which cannot save.

God's Truth

It was 'right on' during Christ's earthly ministry to Israel with the promised Davidic earthly kingdom being at hand. There's a different dispensation going on now for the nations/gentiles and.... for the last two thousand years.

Rom 15:8 Now I say that Jesus Christ was a minister of the circumcision for the truth of God, to confirm the promises made unto the fathers:
Rom 15:15 Nevertheless, brethren, I have written the more boldly unto you in some sort, as putting you in mind, because of the grace that is given to me of God,
Rom 15:16 That I should be the minister of Jesus Christ to the Gentiles, ministering the gospel of God, that the offering up of the Gentiles might be acceptable, being sanctified by the Holy Ghost.
Rom 15:17 I have therefore whereof I may glory through Jesus Christ in those things which pertain to God.
Rom 15:18 For I will not dare to speak of any of those things which Christ hath not wrought by me, to make the Gentiles obedient, by word and deed,

Paul is the minister of the covenant that Jesus made when he walked the earth.
When Jesus walked the earth, he made the rules and regulations for the New Covenant/Testament/Gospel.
He told us how to be an heir, and what we will receive as heirs.

Then he died and the Covenant was in effect.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Paul is the minister of the covenant that Jesus made when he walked the earth.
When Jesus walked the earth, he made the rules and regulations for the New Covenant/Testament/Gospel.
He told us how to be an heir, and what we will receive as heirs.

Then he died and the Covenant was in effect.

Christ was born under the law of Moses and ministered to Israel according to the law.
The instructions He gave in His earthly ministry were according to the promises that GOD made through the prophets concerning the earthly Davidic Kingdom with Israel's prophesied Messiah, Lord Jesus reigning from David's throne... Jerusalem. Israel refused the offer of that Kingdom therefore it was postponed to make way for the Gospel of Jesus Christ according to the mystery revealed to Paul from the ascended Lord Jesus.

God's Truth

Christ was born under the law of Moses and ministered to Israel according to the law.
Everything is about Jesus, even the law.

The instructions He gave in His earthly ministry were according to the promises that GOD made through the prophets concerning the earthly Davidic Kingdom with Israel's prophesied Messiah, Lord Jesus reigning from David's throne... Jerusalem. Israel refused the offer of that Kingdom therefore it was postponed to make way for the Gospel of Jesus Christ according to the mystery revealed to Paul from the ascended Lord Jesus.

The Jews wanted an earthly king.

1 Samuel 8:6 But the thing was displeasing in the sight of Samuel when they said, "Give us a king to judge us." And Samuel prayed to the LORD. 7The LORD said to Samuel, "Listen to the voice of the people in regard to all that they say to you, for they have not rejected you, but they have rejected Me from being king over them. 8"Like all the deeds which they have done since the day that I brought them up from Egypt even to this day-- in that they have forsaken Me and served other gods-- so they are doing to you also.

1 Samuel 8:19Nevertheless, the people refused to listen to the voice of Samuel, and they said, "No, but there shall be a king over us

20that we also may be like all the nations, that our king may judge us and go out before us and fight our battles."

This throne was a throne of the kingdom of God.

1 Chronicles 28:5 Of all my sons--and the LORD has given me many--he has chosen my son Solomon to sit on the throne of the kingdom of the LORD over Israel.

This was the last time there was an earthly king over God's kingdom:

Ezekiel 21:25 “…and thou, profane wicked prince of Israel, whose day is come, when iniquity shall have an end, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Remove the diadem, and take off the crown: this shall not be the same: exalt him that is low, and abase him that is high. I will overturn, overturn, overturn, it: and it shall be no more, until he come whose right it is; and I will give it him.”

Jesus is the righteous one who would set on the throne.

Isaiah 16:5“And in mercy shall the throne be established: and he shall sit upon it in truth in the tabernacle of David, judging, and seeking judgment, and hasting righteousness.”

Amos 9:11“In that day will I raise up the tabernacle of David that is fallen, and close up the breaches thereof; and I will raise up his ruins, and I will build it as in the days of old:”

So we see from the scriptures that the earthly throne of Israel was actually God's throne.

way 2 go

Abraham's faith was alive because he believed and obeyed.

James 2:20 You foolish man, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is useless? 21 Was not our ancestor Abraham considered righteous for what he did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar? 22 You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did

Abraham was considered righteous before man for what he did
Rom 4:2 For if Abraham was justified by works, he has something to boast about, but not before God.

Abram was made righteous by faith

Gen 15:6 And he believed the LORD, and he counted it to him as righteousness.

Rom 4:2 For if Abraham was justified by works, he has something to boast about, but not before God.
Rom 4:3 For what does the Scripture say? "Abraham believed God, and it was counted to him as righteousness."

God's Truth

Abraham was considered righteous before man for what he did

Abraham's faith was made complete by what he did.

James 2:22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?

Abram was made righteous by faith

Rom 4:3 For what does the Scripture say? "Abraham believed God, and it was counted to him as righteousness."

Paul is speaking about the work of circumcision of the flesh.

way 2 go

Acts 5:32 We are witnesses of these things, and so is the Holy Spirit, whom God has given to those who obey him."

John 14:23 Jesus replied, "Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them.

John 14:21 The person who has my commandments and obeys them is the one who loves me. The one who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and will reveal myself to him."

the spirit is given to those who believe .

Act 10:43 To him all the prophets bear witness that everyone who believes in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name."
Act 10:44 While Peter was still saying these things, the Holy Spirit fell on all who heard the word.

God's Truth

the spirit is given to those who believe .
So what about the obey scriptures I gave?
I don't discount the 'believe' and have faith scriptures, so you should believe the 'obey' scriptures too.
Put them together, for it makes faith not dead. See James 2:14, 17, 19, 22, and 29.
Act 10:43 To him all the prophets bear witness that everyone who believes in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name."
Act 10:44 While Peter was still saying these things, the Holy Spirit fell on all who heard the word.
That is about the Holy Spirit being given to Cornelius and his whole household because they did right.

Acts 10:28, He said to them: "You are well aware that it is against our law for a Jew to associate with or visit a Gentile. But God has shown me that I should not call anyone impure or unclean.

Acts10:2 He and all his family were devout and God-fearing; he gave generously to those in need and prayed to God regularly.

Acts 10:22 The men replied, "We have come from Cornelius the centurion. He is a righteous and God-fearing man, who is respected by all the Jewish people. A holy angel told him to ask you to come to his house so that he could hear what you have to say."

way 2 go

Abraham's faith was made complete by what he did.

James 2:22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?

Paul is speaking about the work of circumcision of the flesh.

works

Rom 4:6 just as David also speaks of the blessing of the one to whom God counts righteousness apart from works:
Rom 4:7 "Blessed are those whose lawless deeds are forgiven, and whose sins are covered;
Rom 4:8 blessed is the man against whom the Lord will not count his sin."

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Everything is about Jesus, even the law.

Rom 3:19 Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God.
Rom 3:20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

The law shows us that we are guilty before GOD and in need of His pure grace.

The Jews wanted an earthly king.

1 Samuel 8:6 But the thing was displeasing in the sight of Samuel when they said, "Give us a king to judge us." And Samuel prayed to the LORD. 7The LORD said to Samuel, "Listen to the voice of the people in regard to all that they say to you, for they have not rejected you, but they have rejected Me from being king over them. 8"Like all the deeds which they have done since the day that I brought them up from Egypt even to this day-- in that they have forsaken Me and served other gods-- so they are doing to you also.

1 Samuel 8:19Nevertheless, the people refused to listen to the voice of Samuel, and they said, "No, but there shall be a king over us

20that we also may be like all the nations, that our king may judge us and go out before us and fight our battles."

GOD purposed beforehand that they would have an earthly king.
Their timing was wrong and their rejection of the direct rule of GOD through the Judges and Prophets was wrong.

Gen 17:5 Neither shall thy name any more be called Abram, but thy name shall be Abraham; for a father of many nations have I made thee.
Gen 17:6 And I will make thee exceeding fruitful, and I will make nations of thee, and kings shall come out of thee.

Jacob/Israel prophesied that their King would come forth from the tribe of Judah.... not from Benjamin, as in the case of King Saul.
'The people' of Israel would be gathered unto that King which would proceed from Judah.

Gen 49:10 The sceptre shall not depart from Judah, nor a lawgiver from between his feet, until Shiloh come; and unto him shall the gathering of the people be.

GOD instructed Israel thru Moses before they entered the promised land that they were to receive a King from among their brethren, whom the LORD would choose.

Deu 17:14 When thou art come unto the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee, and shalt possess it, and shalt dwell therein, and shalt say, I will set a king over me, like as all the nations that are about me;
Deu 17:15 Thou shalt in any wise set him king over thee, whom the LORD thy God shall choose: one from among thy brethren shalt thou set king over thee: thou mayest not set a stranger over thee, which is not thy brother.

This throne was a throne of the kingdom of God.

1 Chronicles 28:5 Of all my sons--and the LORD has given me many--he has chosen my son Solomon to sit on the throne of the kingdom of the LORD over Israel.

GOD made an irrevocable promise to King David concerning his throne and his dynasty of Kings.

2Sa 7:16 And thine house and thy kingdom shall be established for ever before thee: thy throne shall be established for ever.

Psa 89:3 I have made a covenant with my chosen, I have sworn unto David my servant,
Psa 89:4 Thy seed will I establish for ever, and build up thy throne to all generations. Selah.
Psa 89:29 His seed also will I make to endure for ever, and his throne as the days of heaven.
Psa 89:34 My covenant will I not break, nor alter the thing that is gone out of my lips.
Psa 89:35 Once have I sworn by my holiness that I will not lie unto David.
Psa 89:36 His seed shall endure for ever, and his throne as the sun before me.

Jer 33:20 Thus saith the LORD; If ye can break my covenant of the day, and my covenant of the night, and that there should not be day and night in their season;
Jer 33:21 Then may also my covenant be broken with David my servant, that he should not have a son to reign upon his throne; and with the Levites the priests, my ministers.
Jer 33:22 As the host of heaven cannot be numbered, neither the sand of the sea measured: so will I multiply the seed of David my servant, and the Levites that minister unto me.

This was the last time there was an earthly king over God's kingdom:

Ezekiel 21:25 “…and thou, profane wicked prince of Israel, whose day is come, when iniquity shall have an end, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Remove the diadem, and take off the crown: this shall not be the same: exalt him that is low, and abase him that is high. I will overturn, overturn, overturn, it: and it shall be no more, until he come whose right it is; and I will give it him.”

Yes, Zedekiah, successor to Jeconiah upon whom GOD cursed the Davidic lineage. He's mentioned in the genealogy of Joseph, the Lord Jesus' stepfather.

At least you acknowledge that GOD's kingdom was the nation of Israel over which David's throne reigned.

Jesus is the righteous one who would set on the throne.

Yes, upon the throne of David, the throne of the LORD, Christ's future glorious throne which He will take at His second coming to earth.... as promised.

Isaiah 16:5“And in mercy shall the throne be established: and he shall sit upon it in truth in the tabernacle of David, judging, and seeking judgment, and hasting righteousness.”

Amos 9:11“In that day will I raise up the tabernacle of David that is fallen, and close up the breaches thereof; and I will raise up his ruins, and I will build it as in the days of old:”

So we see from the scriptures that the earthly throne of Israel was actually God's throne.

Well yeah, GOD established it through His irrevocable covenant with King David.

Luk 1:30 And the angel said unto her, Fear not, Mary: for thou hast found favour with God.
Luk 1:31 And, behold, thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and bring forth a son, and shalt call his name JESUS.
Luk 1:32 He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David:
Luk 1:33 And he shall reign over the house of Jacob[Israel] for ever; and of his kingdom there shall be no end.

2Sa_3:10 To translate the kingdom from the house of Saul, and to set up the throne of David over Israel and over Judah, from Dan even to Beersheba.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Faith that is alive with right action, not dead faith; dead faith which cannot save.

There is no meritorious work by which we can be saved.
We are saved by grace apart from any meritorious works.
Meritorious works can be boasted about and their rewards are bestowed on the doer by obligation.
Don't try to make GOD a debtor. It's a disgrace to the cross.

Not only that... it also makes one proud. It is satisfaction for the flesh.... self-satisfaction.