A Reply to Dave Miller

The Edge

BANNED
Banned
Nineveh,

Do you sin every day, or did you stop when you were saved?
We have a great high priest, a mediator between God and man.
Do you think that you don't have to ask forgiveness every day? If your attitude is one of true repentance, you'lll grieve over your daily sin and do that anyway.

You are right when there is only one salvific repentance in your life, but the truth is Christ said you must take up your cross daily and follow him.

The Edge

BANNED
Banned
Caille said:
Nope, not worth it. Just wanted everybody to know that you couldn't take criticism. :bannana: :bannana:
She deleted your post and then refered you to Knight? She doesn't want to answer to you directly?

Hmm.....

Mateo

Dave Miller said:
In English:

Nineveh, I didn't lie about you. Several times I went back to check my facts on
an ongoing basis as we discussed Paul's struggles with sin. I'm only sorry that
you misinterpret my postings, and I'm sorry that you feel the need to continually
insult me.

Dave

Dave Buddy,

It's not so much she feels the need to insult you as she needs a handy dodge when confronted with questions with which she is uncomfortable.

"Let's don't talk about that... let's talk about this..."

Mateo

The Edge said:
She deleted your post and then refered you to Knight? She doesn't want to answer to you directly?

Hmm.....

It would appear she deleted one of mine too.. a link to the flame warriors website which depicts a character called " artful dodger".

NIN to a tee...

After a year or two the trait becomes almost endearing...

:D

Big Finn

Do you think that you don't have to ask forgiveness every day? If your attitude is one of true repentance, you'lll grieve over your daily sin and do that anyway.

You are right when there is only one salvific repentance in your life, but the truth is Christ said you must take up your cross daily and follow him.

Many people want to call Jesus "Savior". Few people actually want Him to be "Lord". Problem is, if He isn't "Lord" in our life, He isn't "Savior" for us either. It's also true that most people today don't have a clue as to what it means to call someone "Lord" of their life. Most today think that if you live your life as if Christ is truly "Lord" of your life then there is something wrong with your Christianity, that you're "working" your way to heaven when the actuality is that you're just living a life in which Jesus truly is "Lord" of your life. It's really too bad that so few people today really understand the English language. Most just want to make up their own definitions for words.

Chileice

Big Finn said:
Many people want to call Jesus "Savior". Few people actually want Him to be "Lord". Problem is, if He isn't "Lord" in our life, He isn't "Savior" for us either. It's also true that most people today don't have a clue as to what it means to call someone "Lord" of their life. Most today think that if you live your life as if Christ is truly "Lord" of your life then there is something wrong with your Christianity, that you're "working" your way to heaven when the actuality is that you're just living a life in which Jesus truly is "Lord" of your life. It's really too bad that so few people today really understand the English language. Most just want to make up their own definitions for words.

Most people in the world are in a constant struggle to throw off restraint. At first they are a bit aghast when people like George Carlin challenge the "norms". But they watch the shows they think they shouldn't. The more a show tests the limits of morality, decency or the more completely selfish the characters, the greater audience it has. People want NO restraints. They want utter anarchy, at least for them as individuals. They still want society as a whole to adhere to certain norms that make their own life more comfortable, but to let someone be LORD of their lives, to control their lives... you've got to be kidding!!

What people have not come to understand is that there is true freedom in Christ, but it comes as we take on his yolk which then gives him control of the directions and actions of our lives. Unfortunately, many people want heaven, but few want Jesus. Most want to do exactly what they please and at the same time keep their eternal bases covered.

Mateo

He whom the Son sets free is free indeed... free to be His servant.

Quite the conundrum. Or as my fleshly father used to say, "We can only be as free as we are responsible".

Big Finn

He whom the Son sets free is free indeed... free to be His servant.

Ah, but in that servanthood to the Son that is true freedom, for the Son sets us free from not only the penalty of sin but also from the power of sin, which at its most basic premise is the power of self-destruction and the power of external coercion.

The Son sets us free to be what and who God created mankind to be, even here in this life, and that's the real glory of the gospel. The confession and repentance of sin for a Christian is the acknowledgement to our Lord and Master that we have failed to let Him give us the power to live and have usurped that power once again. Submitting to Him is a daily struggle, a daily "work". That's the "work" that the Christian must do, and it is reflected in the actions of his/her daily life because when our Master and Lord says jump, we should only ask "how high?".

Mateo

Would that it were so. Sadly, I still find myself struggling to hear that still small voice through the cacophany of my own thoughts.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
The Edge said:
Nineveh,

Firstly, how do you define sin? Do I murder/purjure/commit adultry/blaspheme/etc everyday? No, I don't. It's not in my heart to defy God or be in rebellion to Him on a daily basis. There was a time in my life this was not so, but since then, the Spirit has taken over leading my life.

Do you think that you don't have to ask forgiveness every day?

For what do you feel should be contuniually pardoned on a daily basis?

If your attitude is one of true repentance, you'lll grieve over your daily sin and do that anyway.

I'm not clear on the sins I commit daily yet....

If I am lead by the Spirit, won't the Spirit be my guide in the Way I should go?

The Edge said:

Hmm.....

How in the world does one reply to .gifs?

Mateo said:
Would that it were so. Sadly, I still find myself struggling to hear that still small voice through the cacophany of my own thoughts.

Perhaps that's the problem.

The Edge

BANNED
Banned
Nineveh,
You are still human. Even though Christ lives in your heart, the sin nature is still there and we slip up. Sin is anything that is not consistant with God. If you say that you don't sin daily, you are saying that you are behaving perfectly, and each and every thought, action, word, deed that you do is in perfect compliance with God's Word. Only Christ lived a life like that. Therefore, we all need daily forgiveness. Read in Romans about Paul's daily struggle with sin....I think it's in Chapter 8, the "do what I do not want to do" speech.

Mateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateo

Perhaps that's the problem.

Why do you think I said it, dear heart? Hopefully, I'm intellectualy honest enough to see at least some of my own shortcomings.

Hopefully, It'll catch on... ;)

Nineveh

Merely Christian
The Edge said:
Nineveh,
You are still human. Even though Christ lives in your heart, the sin nature is still there and we slip up. Sin is anything that is not consistant with God. If you say that you don't sin daily, you are saying that you are behaving perfectly,

I don't think that is true at all. What I tried to convey is, I don't do things in rebellion to God daily, I don't "grieve the Spirit" on an hour by hour basis. Before I repented I recall my conscience eating at me constantly, it doesn't do that any longer. When my conscience tugs at me, I know it's time to pray and reflect to find out why I feel badly.

Could you please be more specific as to the types of things you consider sin that needs forgiven on a daily basis?

and each and every thought, action, word, deed that you do is in perfect compliance with God's Word. Only Christ lived a life like that. Therefore, we all need daily forgiveness. Read in Romans about Paul's daily struggle with sin....I think it's in Chapter 8, the "do what I do not want to do" speech.

What does Paul say about being dead to the Law?

Ecumenicist

Nineveh said:
I don't think that is true at all. What I tried to convey is, I don't do things in rebellion to God daily, I don't "grieve the Spirit" on an hour by hour basis. Before I repented I recall my conscience eating at me constantly, it doesn't do that any longer. When my conscience tugs at me, I know it's time to pray and reflect to find out why I feel badly.

Could you please be more specific as to the types of things you consider sin that needs forgiven on a daily basis?

What does Paul say about being dead to the Law?

It would be easier for you to give us your "short" list of what sin entails. The
10 commandments are obvious, you think being gay is sin, what else? What
"grieves the Spirit" in your book?

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Dave Miller said:
So, its OK for Christ to forgive unrepentent sinners, but its wrong for us to
forgive people who sin against us?

No dave, not if they ask.

"If your brother sins, rebuke him, if he repents, forgive him..." - Jesus

I think you are taking the part about Christ forgiving pagans for something they were absolutely clueless about IE: Crusifying the Creator God. Applying that across the board to people who know they are sinning but don't care or are proud of it is wrong.

Dave, recall I asked you what sorts of "sins" compelled you to repent daily? Your answer was basically things you call sin, but God never does. For instance, if I should lose my patience, it's the person who I lost patience with that I need to apologize to, and pray to God to guide me where that person and patience are concerned.

Do I need to repent to God for losing patience? Why? "Thou shalt always be patient" is not a command. Sometimes even God lost His patience. Sometimes there is a need to grow short of patience. Just like sometimes there is a need to hate or rebuke or edify. Of course these things can be misused, that's why we need to be lead by the Spirit, and if we err and apply these things wrongly, repent to the one we erred against and pray for wisdom in the matter.

I find it amazing how you preach we should repent daily of things you label sin, but you have yet to repent of an obvious sin you were rebuked for.

Mateo

A little something else to dodge. Gotta do my part ot keep you nimble...

Rom 7:14 For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.
15 For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.
16 If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.
17 Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.
19 For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.
20 Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
21 I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.
22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:
23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.
24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?
25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

Mateo

Rev 2:5 Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.

Takin' notes here dear?