A missing link.

Mr. 5020

Do you think Americans will ever understand the link between lots of people owning guns and lots of people being shot dead?

Every year in the U.S., an average of more than 100,000 people are shot, according to The Brady Campaign To Prevent Gun Violence.

Every day in the U.S., an average of 289 people are shot. Eighty-six of them die: 30 are murdered, 53 kill themselves, two die accidentally, and one is shot in a police intervention, the Brady Campaign reports.

Between 2000 and 2010, a total of 335,609 people died from guns -- more than the population of St. Louis, Mo. (318,069), Pittsburgh (307,484), Cincinnati, Ohio (296,223), Newark, N.J. (277,540), and Orlando, Fla. (243,195) (sources: CDF, U.S. Census; CDC)

One person is killed by a firearm every 17 minutes, 87 people are killed during an average day, and 609 are killed every week. (source: CDC)
I'm wondering what it would be like initially. Let's imagine that tomorrow, it is illegal to own guns. Law-abiding citizens turn theirs in. So, at this point, the only people that have guns are criminals. It seems like the transition would be a bloody one. Maybe. I haven't thought it through... this is "off the cuff."

Truster

I'm wondering what it would be like initially. Let's imagine that tomorrow, it is illegal to own guns. Law-abiding citizens turn theirs in. So, at this point, the only people that have guns are criminals. It seems like the transition would be a bloody one. Maybe. I haven't thought it through... this is "off the cuff."

I don't expect it to change I'm just flushing out those who have a stinking attitude. Prophets and preachers always face opposition from the false brethren and the world. This is just another opportunity to see which banner they are marching under.

Caledvwlch

He who lives by the sword dies by the sword.

You should try reading the Bible before you dismiss what it does or doesn't say.

Sword does not equal gun. And if it does, then the "sword" here is a metaphor for all violence. In which case it still doesn't work as an argument for or against gun control.

Mr. 5020

I don't expect it to change I'm just flushing out those who have a stinking attitude. Prophets and preachers always face opposition from the false brethren and the world. This is just another opportunity to see which banner they are marching under.
I think both sides have good points.

musterion

Sword does not equal gun. And if it does, then the "sword" here is a metaphor for all violence. In which case it still doesn't work as an argument for or against gun control.

See what happens when you pal around with Truster? Same thing that happens to FoM (Friends of Meshak). The trick is to not let the scorpion on your back in the first place.

And yeah, you did agree with him (not with Scripture, though). That should cause you some deep introspection.

Truster

Sword is a weapon and gun is a weapon....do you really not make the connection?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Suicides would happen with or without guns. As far as accidental deaths of children, guns, like drugs, cleaners, etc. are not toys. The key is training children that guns are for protection and for them, off limits.

That.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame

Luke 22:36 And He said to them, "But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one.

Dialogos

Luke 22:36 And He said to them, "But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one.

Right, 'twould appear that owning a sword and living by the sword are two different things...

Truster

I love the way you people just pick out a verse to suit your lies and then choose to ignore others to suit your sin.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
I love the way you people just pick out a verse to suit your lies and then choose to ignore others to suit your sin.

Pot-calling-kettle-black.png

Dialogos

Truster,

I see, this verse is inconvenient for you then?

Let me bottom line where many of us Bill of Rights loving Americans stand on the issue.

:sozo: Step off!

You don't get to make up commandments and then hold others accountable to your man made law. You don't get to accuse others of sinning when the bible never calls it sin.

There is no command in the bible prohibiting the ownership of a weapon and its clear from the Luke 22:36, (that verse that Angel4truth posted that you don't like) that it was not only permissible to own a weapon, it was advisable.

If you are going to have the temerity to call something sin, you had better have biblical warrant to call it a sin.

So, where in the bible does it say, "thou shalt not own a weapon?"

Hmmm?

I sure hope you can find some verse that says as much, otherwise you have become a pharisee, making up commands and holding others accountable to them. Jesus didn't have much of anything positive to say about those who did such things...

"This people honors me with their lips, but their heart is far from me;
9 in vain do they worship me, teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.'" (Mat 15:8-9 ESV)"

So, in your next few posts on this topic, we will all expect you to show us how it is the command of God that we are to jettison the 2nd amendment of Constitution of the United States, and we expect you to show us from the bible.

Otherwise, we don't care about what you think statistics show.

And if you can't substantiate, from the bible that God commands that we shalt not own weapons, then you owe the participants of this thread an apology for accusing them/us of sin because we don't hold your opinion.

Then, after your apology, you might think about the fact that people who are resolved to commit suicide will find the means to do so, whether than be using a gun, or prescription drug overdose, or carbon monoxide poisoning or hanging.

What are you going to do next? Take all the prescription drugs out of homes? Outlaw the ownership of automobiles? Ban rope?

The real solution to suicide is to help those who have gotten to the place of despair where they are willing to entertain suicide and to familiarize the public with the warning signs so they can get help.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Almost certainly. But there would be fewer suicides. I don't know how many. Wouldn't one less be a good thing?

Wouldn't one fewer kid blowing his own face off with his dad's gun be a good thing?

There would also be more murders and sexual assaults OF law abiding citizens. I am more concerned about the rights of those citizens to protect their families than I am about the less likely consequences of an accident.

Truster

Truster,

I see, this verse is inconvenient for you then?

Let me bottom line where many of us Bill of Rights loving Americans stand on the issue.

:sozo: Step off!

You don't get to make up commandments and then hold others accountable to your man made law. You don't get to accuse others of sinning when the bible never calls it sin.

There is no command in the bible prohibiting the ownership of a weapon and its clear from the Luke 22:36, (that verse that Angel4truth posted that you don't like) that it was not only permissible to own a weapon, it was advisable.

If you are going to have the temerity to call something sin, you had better have biblical warrant to call it a sin.

So, where in the bible does it say, "thou shalt not own a weapon?"

Hmmm?

I sure hope you can find some verse that says as much, otherwise you have become a pharisee, making up commands and holding others accountable to them. Jesus didn't have much of anything positive to say about those who did such things...

"This people honors me with their lips, but their heart is far from me;
9 in vain do they worship me, teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.'" (Mat 15:8-9 ESV)"

So, in your next few posts on this topic, we will all expect you to show us how it is the command of God that we are to jettison the 2nd amendment of Constitution of the United States, and we expect you to show us from the bible.

Otherwise, we don't care about what you think statistics show.

And if you can't substantiate, from the bible that God commands that we shalt not own weapons, then you owe the participants of this thread an apology for accusing them/us of sin because we don't hold your opinion.

Then, after your apology, you might think about the fact that people who are resolved to commit suicide will find the means to do so, whether than be using a gun, or prescription drug overdose, or carbon monoxide poisoning or hanging.

What are you going to do next? Take all the prescription drugs out of homes? Outlaw the ownership of automobiles? Ban rope?

The real solution to suicide is to help those who have gotten to the place of despair where they are willing to entertain suicide and to familiarize the public with the warning signs so they can get help.

Just explain to me how you are to love your neighbour while at the same time taking up arms against him....just in case.