A little about me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

spencerahayes

I am 20 years old. I am a recent convert to Calvinism/Christian Hedonism/Reformed Theology.

I accepted Christ's sacrifice for my sin about 4 years ago, it wasn't this glorious moment in my life that I remember the date and time and what I was wearing. It was just something that i felt God tugging at my spirit and i went with it. I was raised in a church which was a good church but i didn't know anything better, i always thought I tested scripture, but I had a very slim view on scripture and always read with a preconceived notion about scripture. I study alot and want to keep an open heart to the Holy Spirit which leads me into all truth.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I am 20 years old. I am a recent convert to Calvinism/Christian Hedonism/Reformed Theology.

I accepted Christ's sacrifice for my sin about 4 years ago, it wasn't this glorious moment in my life that I remember the date and time and what I was wearing. It was just something that i felt God tugging at my spirit and i went with it. I was raised in a church which was a good church but i didn't know anything better, i always thought I tested scripture, but I had a very slim view on scripture and always read with a preconceived notion about scripture. I study alot and want to keep an open heart to the Holy Spirit which leads me into all truth.
Welcome! Christian Hedonism.

AMR

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Christian hedonism? :squint:

the Bible should come with a warning label

don't do this at home

possible side effects

hedonism

mad

calvinism

etc

if you should experience any of these side effects

stop reading

and

see your doctor at once

assuranceagent

Hiya, spence! :wave2:

Glad to have ya!

As a Calvinist, you should have no lack of opportunity to defend your positions around here. Or at the very least, what everyone thinks your positions are or wants them to be. :think:

spencerahayes

:squint:

what were you before?

Welcome to TOL. :wave:

Well i "got saved" in a church that had an arminian background, they believed basically the health, wealth and prosperity gospel, but with the exposure to people like Matt Chandler, John Piper, and Mark Driscoll I bagan to revist what and why I believed the things I believed.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Why is it always about you, Spencerahayes? :plain:
Christian what? :squint: I know, but I can't help it (so help me if someone says "Welcome to Calvinism" I'll scream).

Welcome :e4e:

Son of Jack

Interesting post, AMR. :think: But if Piper is correct why would a God who needs nothing make anything? What would His motivation be? Perhaps perfection is in some sense a need, though not a lack.

I'll answer this as simply as I possibly can because He is able and He desires to. Beyond that, I don't know. But, if you argue that He needed to create, then you'll end up in process theology, which is, in my humble opinion, a form of panentheism.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I'll answer this as simply as I possibly can because He is able and He desires to. Beyond that, I don't know. But, if you argue that He needed to create, then you'll end up in process theology, which is, in my humble opinion, a form of panentheism.
I don't think it's inescapably so. If to be perfect in love is to express that love sacrificially, as seems to be indicated in scripture "Greater love hath no man..." then God couldn't accomplish that within Himself, so to speak. So by need I mean an extension of His nature, something that necessarily coincides with the Omni and not as an indicator of some insufficiency.

I'm mostly mulling. :think:

Son of Jack

I don't think it's inescapably so. If to be perfect in love is to express that love sacrificially, as seems to be indicated in scripture "Greater love hath no man..." then God couldn't accomplish that within Himself, so to speak.

Actually I think this is where the doctrine of the Trinity comes in quite handy. God could go on for all eternity loving Himself perfectly.

So by need I mean an extension of His nature, something that necessarily coincides with the Omni and not as an indicator of some insufficiency.

I would argue that His nature simply obligates Him to act in a certain fashion if He decides to create, which, of course, He did. Thus, sacrificial love is not logically but ontologically necessary. The main problem I see in this is that if God had to create in order to express love in the form that you noted, then the Fall is necessary; therefore, God is responsible for the Fall because sacrificial love needs something to sacrifice itself for.

I'm mostly mulling. :think:

I thought I smelled smoke...:D

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Actually I think this is where the doctrine of the Trinity comes in quite handy. God could go on for all eternity loving Himself perfectly.
But not in perfect expression. You can't sacrifice for yourself.
I would argue that His nature simply obligates Him to act in a certain fashion if
That's what I said...:squint:...just without the if...
He decides to create, which, of course, He did. Thus, sacrificial love is not logically but ontologically necessary. The main problem I see in this is that if God had to create in order to express love in the form that you noted, then the Fall is necessary;
Rather, inescapable as a practical matter, though at each point avoidable.
therefore, God is responsible for the Fall because sacrificial love needs something to sacrifice itself for.
Where I'd say it is the "at each point avoidable" which I can rationally defend, that makes it other.
I thought I smelled smoke...:D
It's just that pesky candle again. Now I'm off for hot chocolate. I'll peek in to see if you've taken this further in a bit. :cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.