ECT A challenge to Calvinism on limited atonement

Sonnet

TULIP is the gospel- after you have been given the insight therein, you have no excuse in your rejection of it.

I would appreciate it if you deal with the specifics of the OP.

TULIP is not the Gospel since it claims that Christ did not die for all. Paul preached 'Christ died for our sins' where Christ was not known: 1 Corinthians 15:11, 3-4; Romans 15:20. Christian preachers, mindful of Paul's curse on those preaching different Gospels, would, then, be right and prudent to quote Paul's gospel verbatim. Thus far, you haven't given this Christian preacher a good reason not to do so. He is following Paul's admonition. You are telling him to follow a doctrine that is not explicit in scripture.

Paul's curse is explicit: If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let them be under God’s curse!

Sonnet

John-Calvin-9235788-1-402.jpg

^
You lose, automatically, by ~epic beard~

It didn't work. Like the beard though.

Sonnet

John-Calvin-9235788-1-402.jpg

^
You lose, automatically, by ~epic beard~

Do you preach two Gospels?

1. Christ died for our sins. (to believers)
2. Christ died for sinners (that is, Elect sinners). (to unbelievers)

That is another Gospel, making two Gospels.

Sonnet

Calvinist John Piper - speaking to unbelievers here.

I quote:
"...embrace the gospel that Jesus Christ, the Son of God, the righteous one, died for your sins..."

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
Non-Calvinists have no real heart. They lack the conviction they claim to have- helpless, but also willing to judge at a moments whim :rolleyes:

Sonnet

Non-Calvinists have no real heart. They lack the conviction they claim to have- helpless, but also willing to judge at a moments whim :rolleyes:

None of which refutes the OP.

John Piper preaches to unbelievers and tells them that 'Christ died for your sins.'

Sonnet

"Christ came to seek and save that which was lost. Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and what He did, ad you will be saved." I wouldn't say "Christ died to save you" in those words.

I meant, what would you say to the preacher who considered it wise to preach Paul's Corinthian Gospel VERBATIM so that he (the preacher) could never fall foul of Paul's curse?

"Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved." What are they believing? That Christ paid the penalty for sin. That all who call on the Name of the Lord will be saved. That when He saves us, we become a new workmanship, a new creation.

I can tell an unbeliever all of that.

No, if Christ didn't die for them then they are unable to believe because they wont be regenerated. They're stuffed aren't they?

That is why the gospel message is given universally. The only point I'd disagree on is that "Christ died for your sin." It is true of everyone who calls on the name of the Lord, but I've no idea which person that is. God is not willing that any should perish. We can both give the message as we understand it, and I think the sinner will know what it means to be saved.

But, de facto, it's a different Gospel. Under inquiry, you'd be forced to admit that Christ did not die for all. That is totally different.

It is looking back from the 'end of history' as it were at all "who were saved" thus were called "the elect." Even Arminians hold to this kind of notion, they are seeing God as foreknowing who will come. Calvinist's go further and say God is more tenacious than that. He will even compel those resistant, like Saul2Paul to come.

Paul could have resisted. Acts 26:19.

There aren't many that do. Fewer, I think, however. are those who have animosity toward us. Well, at least that's what I thought before I became one. I had a few friends who were Calvinists. They didn't shove it too hard. Just told me to read scriptures, perhaps read a few who I admired and call to personal attention that they were all Calvinist. I was actually surprised how many I liked that were Calvinists like J.I. Packer, Charles Spurgeon, Stephen Charnock, Busewell (systematic theology) and John Piper.

Ok.

Some Calvinists are more Calvinistic than others. It is, I think, important to realize even among us, we don't all agree. There is a scripture: Matthew 5:45 Act 4:11 Romans 9:33 and 1 Peter 2:7-9 Then also John 3:19-21 Our Lord Jesus Christ came and I think both the Calvinist and others describe these scriptures the same way. In a sense, we are discussing and categorizing what God knew, how He knew it, and when He knew it and why. Most of us aren't debating that He does indeed know who, what, when, where, and why.

Actually, Dort has it that God did not elect because he foreknew:

Article 9: Election Not Based on Foreseen Faith
This same election took place, not on the basis of foreseen faith, of the obedience of faith, of holiness, or of any other good quality and disposition, as though it were based on a prerequisite cause or condition in the person to be chosen, but rather for the purpose of faith, of the obedience of faith, of holiness, and so on. Accordingly, election is the source of every saving good. Faith, holiness, and the other saving gifts, and at last eternal life itself, flow forth from election as its fruits and effects. As the apostle says, “He chose us” (not because we were, but) “so that we should be holy and blameless before him in love” (Eph. 1:4).

Last edited:

Sonnet

Nothing from anyone, so far, to convince our Christian preacher not to quote Paul's Gospel verbatim. Quoting Paul word for word ensures he never falls foul of Paul's curse.

'Christ died for our sins' is not the same as 'Christ died for the elect'.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
The idea that we are only to preach to the elect is the HYPER Calvinist position.

Christ's atonement is for sins or sin not for persons, it only becomes EFFECTUAL when persons believe...unless God imparts faith persons cannot believe.

In other words

Particular redemption is effected not by a limited atonement but by the work of distinguishing grace of the Holy Spirit when the gospel is preached....

God saves who He will and passes by who He will.

It is VITAL to remember this.....God passed by Saul many, many times before He met him on the Damascas Rd...he heard Stephen preach, he saw Stephen's face lit up as an angel, he probably saw Stephen do signs and wonders....he saw his brave martyrdom.

All these were as goads to Saul of Tarsus.

Sonnet

The idea that we are only to preach to the elect is the HYPER Calvinist position.

Those who claim not to be hyper-Calvinists wont preach the Gospel Paul preached unless they are speaking to believers.

Christ's atonement is for sins or sin not for persons, it only becomes EFFECTUAL when persons believe...unless God imparts faith persons cannot believe.

In other words

Particular redemption is effected not by a limited atonement but by the work of distinguishing grace of the Holy Spirit when the gospel is preached....

Would you expound on that a little please?

Because?

It is VITAL to remember this.....God passed by Saul many, many times before He met him on the Damascas Rd...he heard Stephen preach, he saw Stephen's face lit up as an angel, he probably saw Stephen do signs and wonders....he saw his brave martyrdom.

We should also note that Paul chose to be obedient Acts 26:19.

Sonnet

In other words

Should the Christian quote Paul's Corinthian Gospel verbatim when preaching?

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Well Paul didn't when he preached..."believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved" is all the gospel we need to be saved......then we can discover the how?

That is why denomination doesn't matter a fig when it comes to salvation...even Catholics are among the saved [those that have believed on Him]

That splains why people can be saved but totally mixed up theologically and messed up

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Now I challenge Calvinists to give a reason why a Christian should not preach Paul's Corinthian Gospel to unbelievers?

-what about the mad people?
-doesn't this apply to them as well?
-what exactly is the gospel paul preached?

Sonnet

Well Paul didn't when he preached..."believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved" is all the gospel we need to be saved......then we can discover the how?

That is why denomination doesn't matter a fig when it comes to salvation...even Catholics are among the saved [those that have believed on Him]

That splains why people can be saved but totally mixed up theologically and messed up

Right - but are you disbarring the words 'Christ died for our sins'?

Paul says it's the Gospel and it's what he and the Apostles preached 1 Cor. 15:11.
And Paul preached to the unsaved (Romans 15:20).

And Christian preachers might want to be sure they don't incur the curse Paul pronounced on those that preached a different Gospel. (Galatians 1:8-9)

Quite simply - Paul's preaching refutes limited atonement.

Sonnet

-what about the mad people?
-doesn't this apply to them as well?
-what exactly is the gospel paul preached?

Genesis 22:8
Abraham answered, “God himself will provide the lamb for the burnt offering, my son.”

Abraham believed God and it was credited to him as righteousness.