40 Shockingly Simple Skills That Today's Millennials Have No Idea How To Do

Yet you say the following of the younger generation: "but never expect to a meaningful conversation with one, anymore, just exchange pleasantries, or a joke that requires no connections to be made."

Surely the pot is calling the kettle black.

Very much to the contrary, I was trying to say, with some polite obscurity, that I don't find this conversation meaningful. Please abstain from trying to gratiutously pick a fight, which is not adult, only goes to prove my point about not being meaningful, of being a bore, QED.

Sorry for your anger management issues, but that's not a discussion. It's call borderline narcissistic personality disorder, if you want to get technical, or perhaps reduce the behavioral characteristics to something perhaps more in your repertoire of the meaningful, clearly, what you're doing otherwise known as trolling. I've learned over a lifetime to pick my fights, and, sorry, you're not one of them, not even in the ballpark.

I believe this exhausts how much fun you can be, so please don’t expect any further replies, and try to have a nice day.

1 Timothy 6:5 Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself.

There's such a thing as reverse ageism.

Some elders who expect respect for the simple reason that they're elders are sometimes pretty quick to dismiss an entire generation of young adults as being worthless, yet those same elders would expect young adults to cut their lives short for them should they be drafted in a war, and to support their social security benefits.

Some elders have forgotten that they were young once (except for the elders who swear they walked bootless through the snow to school, uphill both ways), and that maturity doesn't arrive all in a bunch at 15 or 18. I do agree that it's a longer process in this last half-century or so, and that's worth a conversation as to the hows and whys, but to dismiss them all as useless? How many elder parents think it's the other millennials who're worthless - not their own kids, who are marvels of course, because they had perfect parents?

How many 60's radicals settled down, entered the workforce, raised a family? A lot of them. Maybe most of them. The the world is driven by the innovation of young minds, not only by the minds of those who've accumulated decades of wisdom. Let the young adults have a chance to accumulate their wisdom too.

It's kind of like the parent at age 50 who says to their adult children: "Just wait till you get to be my age. Then you'll understand." When the adult child gets to 50, the 75-year-old parent says "Just wait till you get to be my age. Then you'll understand." And really, it's true. Give the young adults a chance. Every generation has its geniuses and its slackers. Most everyone else falls in that large middle ground who never got sent to the principal's office so the principal had no idea who they were on graduation day.

Good points, I believe this one reason I have an enduring love and empathy for the young, despite themselves, as there is this sometimes outrageous thing we all grew up with, the statements that began, "When I was your age!" It's also intuitively obvious that babies will be babies, until they learn to walk, talk, etc, this where we all began. You can't just give up or stop loving. God didn't. And I just like the personalities of many young people, that, at least, many are not so filled with all the guile that's considered "adult." Often, a ridiculous personality that reflects somebody's been sucking lemons is an acquired trait.

theophilus

Good points, I believe this one reason I have an enduring love and empathy for the young, despite themselves, as there is this sometimes outrageous thing we all grew up with, the statements that began, "When I was your age!" It's also intuitively obvious that babies will be babies, until they learn to walk, talk, etc, this where we all began.

How old are you?

theophilus

There's such a thing as reverse ageism.

Some elders who expect respect for the simple reason that they're elders are sometimes pretty quick to dismiss an entire generation of young adults as being worthless, yet those same elders would expect young adults to cut their lives short for them should they be drafted in a war, and to support their social security benefits.

Some elders have forgotten that they were young once (except for the elders who swear they walked bootless through the snow to school, uphill both ways), and that maturity doesn't arrive all in a bunch at 15 or 18. I do agree that it's a longer process in this last half-century or so, and that's worth a conversation as to the hows and whys, but to dismiss them all as useless? How many elder parents think it's the other millennials who're worthless - not their own kids, who are marvels of course, because they had perfect parents?

How many 60's radicals settled down, entered the workforce, raised a family? A lot of them. Maybe most of them. The the world is driven by the innovation of young minds, not only by the minds of those who've accumulated decades of wisdom. Let the young adults have a chance to accumulate their wisdom too.

It's kind of like the parent at age 50 who says to their adult children: "Just wait till you get to be my age. Then you'll understand." When the adult child gets to 50, the 75-year-old parent says "Just wait till you get to be my age. Then you'll understand." And really, it's true. Give the young adults a chance. Every generation has its geniuses and its slackers. Most everyone else falls in that large middle ground who never got sent to the principal's office so the principal had no idea who they were on graduation day.

Good post!

:thumb:

glassjester

Very much to the contrary, I was trying to say, with some polite obscurity, that I don't find this conversation meaningful. Please abstain from trying to gratiutously pick a fight, which is not adult, only goes to prove my point about not being meaningful, of being a bore, QED.

I asked if you had any reason to believe (evidence) that young adults cannot do the things you listed, in any greater proportion than any other age group. That's "picking a fight"?

Don't be so sensitive.

Sorry for your anger management issues, but that's not a discussion. It's call borderline narcissistic personality disorder, if you want to get technical, or perhaps reduce the behavioral characteristics to something perhaps more in your repertoire of the meaningful, clearly, what you're doing otherwise known as trolling. I've learned over a lifetime to pick my fights, and, sorry, you're not one of them, not even in the ballpark.

I am not angry. How did you diagnose me with narcissistic personality disorder?
Now you're an internet psychologist? You think quite highly of yourself.

And I do not wish to fight.
I wish to find out whether your OP is actually true.

I believe this exhausts how much fun you can be, so please don’t expect any further replies, and try to have a nice day.

1 Timothy 6:5 Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself.

So you can make baseless assertions, and if anyone asks you to justify your belief, you will accuse them of being angry, narcissistic, "trolling," and destitute of truth.

That's quite a bubble you're living in.

To reiterate, I simply asked if there's any truth in your OP. Is there? Or are your words destitute of truth?

gcthomas

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for
authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place
of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their
households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They
contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties
at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."

I expect that each generation thinks the following ones are feckless. It's in our nature to think that, but it doesn't mean they are any worse than us or the previous generations. Isn't one of the Ten Commandments devoted to trying to control unruly and disrespectful children?

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Good points, I believe this one reason I have an enduring love and empathy for the young, despite themselves, as there is this sometimes outrageous thing we all grew up with, the statements that began, "When I was your age!" It's also intuitively obvious that babies will be babies, until they learn to walk, talk, etc, this where we all began. You can't just give up or stop loving. God didn't. And I just like the personalities of many young people, that, at least, many are not so filled with all the guile that's considered "adult." Often, a ridiculous personality that reflects somebody's been sucking lemons is an acquired trait.

Right, all elders were young once, only some of them have forgotten and assume they were born with all their wisdom. :chuckle:

And young adults can be right and the older adults wrong. Case in point: our invasion of Iraq. We should never have gone into Iraq as a response to 9/11. When young adults protested against it, they were dismissed as unpatriotic brats. Hindsight shows us now that the older adults were wrong, but they're not likely to admit that the young adults had a better handle on the politics of the war than they did.

I expect that each generation thinks the following ones are feckless. It's in our nature to think that, but it doesn't mean they are any worse than us or the previous generations. Isn't one of the Ten Commandments devoted to trying to control unruly and disrespectful children?

There's a scripture that doesn't get the press of the Ten Commandments, Colossians 3:21. Parenting, without empathy, expecting your children to be your clones or to have whatever wisdom you've gained from time, are both so wrong. I haven't had the situation, but have seen these true story dramas, where the daughter gets pregnant, and the parents are livid, "How could you do this to us!", on and on. You come to find out they had their daughter they're condemning, to alienation, after a shotgun wedding. Or you have the single mother, coming down like a ton of bricks. They were having sex against a tree at Woodstock or in the ally back of the disco, often at a much later age than their teen. And there's nothing that makes a parent blow all their credibility, in a flash, like hypocrisy. I have always realized that, when I was their age, I was also at least as stupid, that this is important to keep in mind, to have this understanding.

Then I will ASSUME you are too young to be blasting the Millennials.

:)

No, but I don't see this has anything to do with the price of tea in China. I spend most of my time, blasting my own. I often can barely stand some people my age! Look, it was just an article I shared, not The 95 Theses, and from a website that probably believes baking soda cures cancer. But what would you guys have preferred? Something copied from CNN? How all you need is a broomstick to serve as a pole, to make the last outfit Hillary was seen in a tent?

ClimateSanity

The millennial generation is accepting what they hear in school and on liberal media outlets uncritically. Half the baby boomers did the same. To the extent a generation acquires their belief system like that, the less respect I have for them. I actually very little respect for baby boomer lefties who never questioned the leftist pablum they were taught and now occupy positions of power and are the main constituency of the PC pushing establishment.

john w

Hall of Fame
The millennial generation is accepting what they hear in school and on liberal media outlets uncritically. Half the baby boomers did the same. To the extent a generation acquires their belief system like that, the less respect I have for them. I actually very little respect for baby boomer lefties who never questioned the leftist pablum they were taught and now occupy positions of power and are the main constituency of the PC pushing establishment.

View attachment 24569

gcthomas

In case you didn't recognise the rather famous quote I posted, it was attributed by Plato to Socrates. Everything older generations say about the youth of today was being said at least 2300 years ago. The young have always grown up and come good, in every generation, despoit that every generation of parents has bemoaned their lack of capability. There is no reason to believe that this latest great generation of youths will be anything other than as spectacular as any previous one.

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned
I'm 70 years old, a screaming left wing Democrat, but you respect me, how sweet.
I don't respect the positions of Democrats in the slightest, but I do respect you as an elder. Now that I know, I will behave accordingly... ....assuming I remember that is. :) I'll probably forget that you told me your age.

41. How to change your image, from this...
...to this, in a few episodes of life...
And speaking of pinheads I don't respect.......