Is Enyart worshipped like Jesus

Thia

deardelmar said:
I think you don't get the point. The reason a crime is punishable by death is not so that people will be executed but rather so that people won't do the crime.

...and how's that workin' out for us? Stats, please. How effective IS the death penalty in deterring crime in the US? Blanket statements such as yours should be backed up with statistics in order to be considered credible.

Rimi

Glad to answer, Thia. The death penalth is an excellent deterrent . . . the one executed won't pull that crap gain. And the village cheered. There's statistics for ya.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Thia said:
...and how's that workin' out for us? Stats, please. How effective IS the death penalty in deterring crime in the US? Blanket statements such as yours should be backed up with statistics in order to be considered credible.
from God and the Death Penalty by Bob Enyart
...the death penalty as executed through American courts is not much of a deterrent. Wise King Solomon 2,900 years ago explained why this is so:

* Because the sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil. Eccl. 8:11

Agape4Robin

deardelmar said:
from God and the Death Penalty by Bob Enyart
...the death penalty as executed through American courts is not much of a deterrent. Wise King Solomon 2,900 years ago explained why this is so:

* Because the sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil. Eccl. 8:11
DD, just when I begin to wonder if we are on the same team....you say something wonderful like this!
Good job! :BRAVO:

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
julie21 said:
Okay...get the reds ready because I personally find this attitude above deplorable. Sorry Yorzhik.I know there are many here who will agree that it deserved as they have given you already, but I cannot agree.
Well, not in every case, right? Paul tells us: But now I have written to you not to keep company with anyone named a brother, who is sexually immoral, or covetous, or an idolater, or a reviler, or a drunkard, or an extortioner--not even to eat with such a person.

How was it a good thing for someone "named a brother" to be shunned to the most extreme measure in certain circumstances?

julie21 said:
I think that cutting off communication leads a lot of 'worldly' people to think, basically "Who gives a fig Newton about their not talking to me. Stuff them!"...and so their life goes on exactly as it did before you stopped communication, especially if the communication was mostly someone calling them 'slut' or similar.Sometimes, it can even move it up a notch or two, out of defiance.
It could. Good things can come of a response like "Stuff them!". First as Clete stated before, a person who witnesses to a sinner will likely not reap a brother or sister in Christ the first time. Second, God would prefer if someone is going to be evil, that they be completely evil (and visa versa, if they be good He would prefer them to be extremely committed to being good) so moving up defiance against God is not necessarily the worst thing. God hates luke-warm Christians the worst. Third, how do you know that Paul's instruction I mention above won't result in them having a better relationship with God?

julie21 said:
Funny that I have seen it work ...just talking about how they were destroying their lives. I know I am not alone on this. Jesus talked in with the Samaritan woman and the woman caught in adultery in such a way that they felt 'comfortable', about the issues in their lives that were destroying them...and it is generally accepted that it worked for Him.
Ok. Try this. Consider a woman in your church has been married and divorced 5 times, and she is currently shacked up with a guy. Let's call her "Fifi". Would you say during anniversary announcements that Fifi is coming up on her 1 year anniversary of living with that guy? I would hope that the members of your church would be as uncomfortable hearing that as Fifi would. When Jesus talked with the woman at the well, He wasn't having a comfortable conversation with her. Again, if you think that saying things to her in such a way that she is comfortable, you certainly aren't talking with her about that which is destroying her life!

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Johnny said:
Calling her a slut and cutting her off would probably just result in her getting angry at you and further her stereotyping Christians as hateful, spiteful, self-righteous,
It could. Good things can come of a response like "Stuff them!". First as Clete stated before, a person who witnesses to a sinner will likely not reap a brother or sister in Christ the first time. Second, God would prefer if someone is going to be evil, that they be completely evil (and visa versa, if they be good He would prefer them to be extremely committed to being good) so moving up defiance against God is not necessarily the worst thing. God hates luke-warm Christians the worst. Third, how do you know that Paul's instruction I mention above won't result in them having a better relationship with God?

Johnny said:
and judgemental.
I would hope so! Is there something wrong with being judgemental?

Johnny said:
Why in the WOLRD would she want to become that? She would be just as repulsed by you and your God as you are by her sinfulness. Don't you think she knows that she's wrong? Most sinners do. Deep down, they do. They don't need you or your hate to tell them that they are filthy. They can feel it. They need the love of Jesus, not the hate of man.
If they know what they are doing is wrong, wouldn't they want people to be honest with them?

Johnny said:
Are you telling me calling her a slut is the most loving thing you can do for her?
Tell you what. So you don't have to read all 39 pages (assuming you keep the default number of posts per page); go to the search form and look for all posts by Yorzhik in the forum "Bob Enyart Live". Perhaps you will see why the answer is "yes".

Johnny said:
The God of the Universe became a man and let his creation beat him, mock him, spit on him, and nail him to a piece of wood, because he loved us. That's love. Are you telling me the most loving thing you can muster up is a few harsh words for someone who obviously needs the love of Jesus? Sickening.
As Clete would say, "Of course not". Of course mustering up a few harsh words is not the most loving thing one can do. You need to go back and read what "Of course not" means.

Johnny said:
Let me get this straight, because no one would answer my previous post: It seems that you justify your hatred by claiming that it's really love because the loving thing to do is lead someone toward salvation and that's what hatred does. Is that correct? Then you must assume that hating the unsaved is a more powerful testimony for Christ than loving them?
So you are equating hate and not being nice? Not being nice = hate; is that correct?

Johnny said:
I'm still dumbfounded as to how a sect of Christians can read Jesus' words, see His life, and see His ministry, and then find it perfectly acceptable to turn around and mock, insult, deride, and hate "in the name of love" because Jesus called the Pharisees hypocrites.
Uh, yeah. It's being Christ-like.

Johnny said:
Your support is weak.
Luk 13:15 The Lord then answered him, and said, [Thou] hypocrite, doth not each one of you on the sabbath loose his ox or [his] *** from the stall, and lead [him] away to watering?

Mat 6:2 Therefore when thou doest [thine] alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

Mat 6:5 And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites [are]: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

Mat 6:16 Moreover when ye fast, be not, as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward

And this would be just the beginning! Sheesh, man, if that's what you call weak then you must think that support for claims that gravity makes things fall is weak as well.

Johnny said:
You point to the old testament examples of God hating sinners. Great. I'll point you to old testament examples of God demanding that men women and children be slaughtered. That doesn't make it right for us to demand the same. I think that if God wanted us to follow a doctorine of calling names, derision, hatefulness, self-righteousness, He would have clearly told us so. Instead, in no ambiguous terms, Jesus said to love your enemy and do good to them, love your neighbor, and love God. I'm still not clear about where Jesus mentions hating in His name.

II Timothy 2 "24And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient,

25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;

26 And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will."

Gentle:

# Considerate or kindly in disposition; amiable and tender.
# Not harsh or severe; mild and soft: a gentle scolding; a gentle tapping at the window. (dictionary.com)

2 a : TRACTABLE, DOCILE b : free from harshness, sternness, or violence (m-w.com)
Here's where the exercise of looking at my previous posts will come in handy. I've never mentioned a claim from the OT to support mocking sinners. Not that I wouldn't - the OT does just a good a job as the NT at showing we should mock sinners.

So, I have to ask; Johnny, am I your enemy or your neighbor?

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnny

It could. Good things can come of a response like "Stuff them!". First as Clete stated before, a person who witnesses to a sinner will likely not reap a brother or sister in Christ the first time.
You can either continue to show the compassion of Christ, or give it a good old fashioned one shot-cut em off christian tounge lashing and hope it works. Because after that, you've pretty much isolated that person from yourself. I say the former is more Christ-like. As to "cutting them off", there's a difference between "I can't be around you while sin is destroying your life and your relationship with God" and "Get away you filthy slut." One demonstrates love and a genuine concern with spiritual well-being.

so moving up defiance against God is not necessarily the worst thing.
Ok, so it's not the worst thing. They're still going to hell. And that's why you insult them, right? Because you want them to turn away from hell?

I would hope so! Is there something wrong with being judgemental?
Probably about 75% of the time..

If they know what they are doing is wrong, wouldn't they want people to be honest with them?
You don't have to lie to them. You could tell someone "Your sexual addictions are sinful against God".

Of course mustering up a few harsh words is not the most loving thing one can do. You need to go back and read what "Of course not" means.
It doesn't matter what "of course not" means. You answered my question: of course it's not the most loving thing one can do.

So you are equating hate and not being nice? Not being nice = hate; is that correct?
No. Someone asked "Does Enyart say that it is okay to hate sinners?", and Clete responded "Yes." As Clete would say, "Love and hate are not mutually exclusive." That's why I used the term "hate".

Uh, yeah. It's being Christ-like.
Why don't you limit your mocking to "hypocrite" and "fool"?

And this would be just the beginning! Sheesh, man, if that's what you call weak then you must think that support for claims that gravity makes things fall is weak as well.
Hypocrite, hypocrite, hypocrite, and hypocrite.

So, I have to ask; Johnny, am I your enemy or your neighbor?
Here we go. Let me guess, you're going to excuse 99.9% of the human population from these two groups, and thus you aren't bound to love them?

Again, I will quote Timothy, because you completely ignored him.

II Timothy 2 "24And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient,

25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;

26 And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will."

Gentle:

# Considerate or kindly in disposition; amiable and tender.
# Not harsh or severe; mild and soft: a gentle scolding; a gentle tapping at the window. (dictionary.com)

2 a : TRACTABLE, DOCILE b : free from harshness, sternness, or violence (m-w.com)

I also ask you: Jesus ate with sinners. Will you be Christ-like, or will you follow Paul's instruction?

--------------------------------------------------------------
I think you'll find that most of the name-calling on this forum is not the same name-calling you are defending (and I'm not suggesting that you should be defending it). Lighthouse called me a dumbass and suggested that perhaps I was a failed abortion attempt after suggesting that fetal kicking is not evidence of a soul. By any measure, he failed to make a case and a good argument for his position. He then resorted to derision and claimed it was justified. Just because someone doesn't see your point of view doesn't make them a dumbass or an idiot. We are only human. We still interpret the Bible within the context of our experience. We are still slave to our own bias and subjectivity. We are not 100% right. Thus, I don't think it's justified in any way to call someone a name for disagreeing with you, even on issues you feel strongly about. Everyone has been wrong in the past, and everyone will continue to be wrong in the future. It's part of being human. That's not directed at you, Yorzhik, it's directed at everybody reading this.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Johnny said:
"I can't be around you while sin is destroying your life and your relationship with God"
=calling her a slut. You don't think that would hurt someone? Just insert the phrase you would use in place of "sin", and then replace the phrase with its one-word description.

Johnny said:
Ok, so it's not the worst thing. They're still going to hell. And that's why you insult them, right? Because you want them to turn away from hell?
You aren't making sense here. Please re-state.

Johnny said:
Probably about 75% of the time..
Great. So you answer to the question "is judging wrong?" with "no". Now we can move to the question of when judging is proper.

Johnny said:
You don't have to lie to them. You could tell someone "Your sexual addictions are sinful against God".
"sexual addictions" = slut

Fine. I'll use the words "sexual addictions" in the future. Will I have become loving then?

Johnny said:
It doesn't matter what "of course not" means. You answered my question: of course it's not the most loving thing one can do.
Good point. I wasn't clear. Assuming you meant "Only mustering up a few harsh words is the most loving thing you can do." Then my answer stands. So let me go back (I should have made you clarify in the first place).

In response to your quote; "The God of the Universe became a man and let his creation beat him, mock him, spit on him, and nail him to a piece of wood, because he loved us. That's love. Are you telling me the most loving thing you can muster up is a few harsh words for someone who obviously needs the love of Jesus? Sickening."

The question should first have been: "do you mean that we are claiming that the most loving, the epitome of love, is to only muster up a few harsh words for someone who obviously needs the love of Jesus?"

If your answer to the question immediately above is "yes", then my answer stands - "Of course not, there are other responses we might have."

If your answer to the question is "no", then please explain what you meant in the first place.

Johnny said:
No. Someone asked "Does Enyart say that it is okay to hate sinners?", and Clete responded "Yes." As Clete would say, "Love and hate are not mutually exclusive." That's why I used the term "hate".
Oh. Great. Then the answer to your orginal question; "It seems that you justify your hatred by claiming that it's really love because the loving thing to do is lead someone toward salvation and that's what hatred does. Is that correct? Then you must assume that hating the unsaved is a more powerful testimony for Christ than loving them?" is "Yes, if the situation warrants it."

Johnny said:
Why don't you limit your mocking to "hypocrite" and "fool"?
Because, you fool, it's the principle involved.

Johnny said:
Hypocrite, hypocrite, hypocrite, and hypocrite.
Is calling someone a "hypocrite" somehow not a harsh word to you?

Originally posted by YorzhikSo, I have to ask; Johnny, am I your enemy or your neighbor?
Originally posted by Johnny
Here we go. Let me guess, you're going to excuse 99.9% of the human population from these two groups, and thus you aren't bound to love them?
So is that "neighbor" or "enemy"? We can get to where I put the rest of humanity after you answer that question.

Johnny

=calling her a slut. You don't think that would hurt someone? Just insert the phrase you would use in place of "sin", and then replace the phrase with its one-word description.
There's a difference, though. If you fail to understand that the manner with which truth is spoken is of key concern, then you probably haven't been involved with much social interaction. It is one thing to tell someone they are wrong. It's another thing to insult them. And yes, they both may be offensive to some degree, but there is a clear difference.

You aren't making sense here. Please re-state.
What's the whole purpose of your language? To drive them to Christ and save them from hell, right? You argued that it could be worse (i.e. they could be lukewarm), but I said that it defeats your purpose if you're driving them away from Christ.

Because, you fool, it's the principle involved.
As I mentioned before, Jesus was in a much better position to judge who the fools and the hypocrites were. You don't have the same luxury.

It is harsh. But note who it is directed at: hypocritical religious leaders. James 3:1 "My brethren, be not many masters, knowing that we shall receive the greater condemnation."

So is that "neighbor" or "enemy"?
You're my neighbor. "2. FELLOWMAN" (m-w.com) "3. A fellow human." (dictionary.com)

Now, answer my question: Jesus ate with sinners. Will you be Christ-like, or will you follow Paul's instruction?

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Turbo... what are you editing in my posts? That's at least twice I've seen lately.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Because I'm drunk with power!! :devil:

Sometimes you forget to put the slash in the "close quote" tag or something. That makes your next response appear in another quote box within the quote. I tend to fix vB tag typos when I see them.

Last edited:

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Johnny said:
Now, answer my question: Jesus ate with sinners. Will you be Christ-like, or will you follow Paul's instruction?
Are you saying that Paul was un-Christlike? Are you saying that Paul taught others to be un-Christlike?

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I just cut the dashed line in Johnny's post #587 down to size because it was making the whole page too wide.

Is there's no stopping me? :devil:

Hey, here's an obscure vB tag y'all might want to keep in mind:

[ line]100%[/line]
becomes a solid line that goes all the way accross your post:

[ line]80%[/line]
becomes a centered solid line that is 80% of your post's width:

...and so on! :thumb:

Last edited:

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Turbo said:
Because I'm drunk with power!! :devil:
It's that creepy avatar - it's demon possessed.

Turbo said:
Sometimes you forget to put the slash in the "close quote" tag or something. That makes your next response appear in another quote box within the quote. I tend to fix vB tag typos when I see them.
Oh... thanks!

The Edge

BANNED
Banned
I apologize for being away. I spent my three full days off from work battling a computer virus that kept me crippled and offline. After spending an entire day and a half installing windows 4 times and talking to Microsoft and burning virus definitions to CD, I think I finally won. I'll spend some time reviewing posts.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Johnny said:
There's a difference, though. If you fail to understand that the manner with which truth is spoken is of key concern, then you probably haven't been involved with much social interaction. It is one thing to tell someone they are wrong. It's another thing to insult them. And yes, they both may be offensive to some degree, but there is a clear difference.
I don't fail to understand. Insulting someone the short form of telling them they are wrong.

Johnny said:
What's the whole purpose of your language? To drive them to Christ and save them from hell, right? You argued that it could be worse (i.e. they could be lukewarm), but I said that it defeats your purpose if you're driving them away from Christ.
You are wrong. Disciplining one's children uses the same principle. It isn't nice, but it helps the relationship.

Johnny said:
As I mentioned before, Jesus was in a much better position to judge who the fools and the hypocrites were. You don't have the same luxury.
Because Jesus is better, we are unable? What kind of useless thinking is that?

Yorzhik said:
Originally posted by Johnny
It is harsh. But note who it is directed at: hypocritical religious leaders. James 3:1 "My brethren, be not many masters, knowing that we shall receive the greater condemnation."
A couple things here. Is it okay to insult someone, but only if they are a religious leader, and also only if they are acting the fool or being a hypocrite?

And secondly, if greater condemnation includes insults, does lesser condemnation mean only saying someone is wrong without insults? or does lesser condemnation mean no harshness at all?

Johnny said:
You're my neighbor. "2. FELLOWMAN" (m-w.com) "3. A fellow human." (dictionary.com)
If your enemy is a human, does that mean your enemy is your neighbor?

Johnny said:
I'll be at least Christlike and insult the religious leaders that deserve it. That's what you would say being Christlike is, right?

Are you saying that Paul was un-Christlike? Are you saying that Paul taught others to be un-Christlike?

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
temple 2000 said:
Nah Yorzik.... It is the short, demeaning, nasty way of telling someone they are wrong
So you are saying that people who insult with name calling are short, demeaning, and nasty?

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yorzhik said:
So you are saying that people who insult with name calling are short, demeaning, and nasty?

Who you callin' short? :noid: