Myths About Liberals And Liberalism

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
To a degree, you're correct. Many white people use the "n-word" to indicate that a person is black and some undesirable characteristic. This is evidenced by the fact that they will say that not all black people are "n-words."

It is also likely, though, that many white people do use the word to mean any black person.

There is one intention for using the "n" word: to offend and degrade ALL black people. Explanations and defense of doing so are on the same level as pretending the Confederate Flag doesn't stand for racism.

glassjester

There is one intention for using the "n" word: to offend and degrade ALL black people.

There's only one intention for using the word? Every person uses the word with the same intent?

Are you sure? :think:

Explanations and defense of doing so are on the same level as pretending the Confederate Flag doesn't stand for racism.

If you re-read my post you'll notice that I didn't defend its use at all.

As for explaining its use - well heck, you're explaining it right now.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
It's not an anecdote. I've encountered many whites who use the nword and they never show racial superiority. Whites who use the nword are denigrating a culture....not a race.
Guy, that's exactly what an anecdote is. . . what it isn't is a rule, which can be illustrated by anecdote, but never arrived at by it.

Anecdote: based on or consisting of reports or observations of usually unscientific observers - Merriam Webster

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I think we all have some conservative tendencies and the way envelopes move over time holding onto any of them can feel that way. A bit like Reagan's quote on being left by the Dem. party.

The same reason I left the Republican Party, after the war, I think, well, maybe not :idunno:

Listening to right wingers describe liberals is like taking golfing lessons from Helen Keller. Entertaining as heck to watch, but you don't really learn anything about the game.
Learning to diet by watching pigs eat :chew:

ClimateSanity

There is one intention for using the "n" word: to offend and degrade ALL black people. Explanations and defense of doing so are on the same level as pretending the Confederate Flag doesn't stand for racism.
The intention of using the nword is to degrade inner city gangster culture. It certainly isn't used to degrade sub Saharan Africans or Aborigines.

ClimateSanity

Anecdote does not make a rule is a deceptive tactic used to give the impression that the point is invalid.

TH believes the polls that say Trump has a 40% approval rating. He believes 60 % of Americans disapprove of trump based on the word if 500 people over a weeks time.

ClimateSanity

I've talked to over 500 white people who used the nword over my lifetime and yet he tries to invalidate that based on the idea of anecdote he does even abide by

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I've talked to over 500 white people who used the nword over my lifetime and yet he tries to invalidate that based on the idea of anecdote he does even abide by
If I ever actually advance personal experience as more than than an illustration of that experience by all means quote me and note the problem and I'll happily retract the point.

Now back to you.

1. While you may have an impression of a large number of white people using the word it lacks all sorts of context and using a literal number or sense of it needs larger support.

By way of, I've heard it used by a large number of whites in my life. I've rarely heard it used by a white person affectionately. And it's not a word that carries a neutral expression. But without a larger context that's just my anecdotal impression.

2. What context would we need? Out of how many people you've met in total who found the use repugnant? How many used the word precisely as an insult? How many of the sample were indifferent to the word? That sort of thing.

3. We already have better actual data on the point. A lot of it, as it turns out.

One-third of whites admitted to using it at least once or twice in a five year period, according to the 2012 Cooperative Congressional Election Study. So forget 500, a third of whites is a pretty large number.

According to a wide sampling survey conducted by Unney and Feldman of Stony Brook University, in New York, about 40% of whites in their study admitted to believing "a little or more" that blacks are poor because of racial differences in intelligence. Or, around 40% of whites admitted to being a little or more racist.

Unsurprisingly, an Ipsus/Reuters poll conducted during the President's election run found that among his supporters around 40% believed blacks were simply more violent and lazier than whites. Or, around 40% of his supporters were admittedly racist, even if they didn't believe themselves to be (an interesting and different bit of polling data). They might not be aggressively racist, but they're at least in tune with the subtler advances of those who are and who are driven by that agenda. When you take that attitude and consider the implications it's both sad and serious.

Democrats come out usually ten to twenty percentage points less idiotic on the issue, but still have an alarming number of dunderheads in their company.

The good news is that no more than half of Trump supporters have an obvious and more seriously stupid issue relative to race, meaning that at least half (and a bit more on average) don't share the dangerous lunacy of that other, strong minority of Trump supporters who are disproportionately more likely to hold racist views.

So that's some progress.

Last edited:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
How dare you! I've never given a filthy massage to anyone! Take it back!
:chuckle::crackup:

It was over the minute you couldn't see that you were being presumptuous about a relationship you weren't privy to. ("So presumptuous, right?")

Also I suppose it's a good thing your acquaintance doesn't know you're gossiping about her online.
Just go away.

You don't know @glassjester or the woman of whom he was speaking. Nor his relationship to her. So now you're being a hypocrite. Which is pretty typical for you.