Making Peace With Tambora

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It's always amusing to post something and see those who are on ignore rush to respond ...

To something that isn't being read. :crackup:

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Time was that advocating beating a woman to death aka Trad would not only have landed the poster in the ban box but anyone agreeing with it.
There was a poster here a few years ago called 'Benjamin' who actually started a thread asking whether it was okay to beat up his wife and was universally told 'no' and he was booted off this place.

How times change eh?

Artie.

Bro.

My main man.

I wish to point out, for the bazillionth time, that at no point in the course of the last several days have I said that it is universally and without qualification acceptable to beat one's wife.

Furthermore, if you return to the "why men won't marry you," you will find that Kmoney (whom I think everyone will agree to be of very moderate sensibilities) has, not so much agreed with the particulars of what I've said, but has essentially conceded the basic theses which cause you so much discomfort.

Elo. has disagreed even with my basic theses, but only by saying: "Because God said so." Ask him if you doubt this.

Given the fact that you insist on repeating that I've said something other than I've said, I feel as though I must conclude that one of the following is true:

1. The British educational system simply isn't that good when it comes to learning how to read with any level of comprehension.

2. You simply aren't that bright

3. I have been unclear in my expression.

4. You are being intentionally obtuse for rhetorical purposes.

5. You haven't bothered to read more than a few lines of anything that I've read on the subject as of late, for whatever reason.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Argumentum ad populum, Trad? Say it ain't so.

The problem isn't Arthur's, the problem is yours.

You said the words, now you have to live with them. They're part of your identity now.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

The problem isn't Arthur's, the problem is yours.

You said the words, now you have to live with them. They're part of your identity now.

Now? You are too generous.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned

It's actually not an argumentum ad populum. I'm not saying that what I am saying is true because "most people think so." I'm actually making an argument from authority, oddly enough, appealing to the "authority" of Kmoney and Elo, where Kmoney and Elo are cited as "authorities" on what is consistent with or contrary to basic, common sensibilities/tastefulness.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
It's actually not an argumentum ad populum. I'm not saying that what I am saying is true because "most people think so." I'm actually making an argument to authority, oddly enough, appealing to the "authority" of Kmoney and Elo, where Kmoney and Elo are cited as arguments on what is consistent with or contrary to basic, common sensibilities/tastefulness.

You're splitting fallacies.

The words are yours, Trad. Your advocation for the beating in of a wife's face until she's dead (purely as argument, of course) won't be forgotten.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Now? You are too generous.

This.

Oddly enough, AnnaBenedetti, I have to agree with Rusha.

This really isn't really a recent development. I've for some time now expressed my openness to the possibility that certain classes of crimes, at least in principle, merit brutal punishments. As I recall, this was a point of disagreement a while back when you were still calling yourself a Catholic.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
You're splitting fallacies.

The words are yours, Trad. Your advocation for the beating in of a wife's face until she's dead (purely as argument, of course) won't be forgotten.

Depending on the meaning of the word "a," then I am guilty as charged. :idunno:

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'll never forget.

Well, this was just recently. There is a history. The difference is that previously, advocating beating a wife (including beating her to death) would have received an infraction OR at the very least a warning.

I have no doubt that back in the days of the caveman, such behavior was seen a normal. Apparently, some people have not evolved.

Thankfully, there is the LEGITIMATE law to deal with modern day neanderthals.

elohiym

I have no doubt that back in the days of the caveman, such behavior was seen a normal.

Funny, just yesterday I was pondering that idea. My feeling is that cavemen were likely not wife beaters and rapists. It seems to go against natural survival instincts, imo. Notice these modern men are justifying wife beating and rape with their interpretation of religious texts. The problem, as I see it, is false religious doctrines and black hearts, not devolution. The golden rule is so simple even a caveman can follow it.

glorydaz

Tam is a joyful Lady who has a ball on these threads, a very pleasant alternative to the grudge holding bitter few.

Tam had me laughing so hard earlier today in that one thread. That was hilarious.

Er, no. You and the other supposed Christians here, who are supposed to reflect the 'fruits of the spirit' are doing just what here exactly? Paying service to one of the most insincere threads from the forum troll and just having fun with it at anybody's expense. Considering that Tam has been a rape victim it's just insidious that this is getting a pass. Still, as long as you're getting your self righteous fun then who cares eh?

What a bunch of tossers.

I guess some people are allowed to see the humor of it all, but not others. :think:

And "insincere"? You mean like when Tam and Rusha piously pronounce they will pray from Doser's troubled soul? :chuckle:

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Funny, just yesterday I was pondering that idea. My feeling is that cavemen were likely not wife beaters and rapists. It seems to go against natural survival instincts, imo. Notice these modern men are justifying wife beating and rape with their interpretation of religious texts. The problem, as I see it, is false religious doctrines and black hearts, not devolution. The golden rule is so simple even a caveman can follow it.

I think that your assessment of the condition of post-lapsarian humanity is too optimistic. There's a reason that Moses had to lay down the Law.

And for what it's worth, I'm not relying solely on religious texts. I could give natural law arguments to the same effect.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

I see the problem as these males of whom we are speaking wishing to change the meaning of the Bible in order to conform it with their own views.

elohiym

Elo. has disagreed even with my basic theses, but only by saying: "Because God said so." Ask him if you doubt this.

My argument was more than, "Because God said so."

I refuted your argument by refuting your premise about the Law of Moses.

You want a secular argument but can't make one.