What would make you Catholic?

brewmama

Luther was a Catholic Priest, so it would be logical for him to carry on a lot of its beliefs.

John Wesley was an Anglican... there was not much difference between Anglicanism and Roman Catholicism when he lived.

The Early church fathers of the 1st and second centuries didn't have much to say about any of the marian doctrines of today.

So history isn't on your side.

History is most certainly on my side. You won't even listen to Protestant leaders, so I guess that puts you way out on the fringe.

brewmama

Does the scripture not jump out at you?

By the middle of the first century, all that were in Asia had already turned away from Paul's teachings. Is it possible that you what you've read from 100ad and forward is not entirely correct?

So, that would be a "no" on your producing anything to back up your claims.

brewmama

All Christians everywhere are saints.

The Roman Catholic version of "saints" are ways of allowing Roman Catholics to worship idols as minor gods the same way the Romans worshiped their pagan idols of minor gods.

You really are deep in the propaganda, aren't you? Right, the martyrs in ancient Rome were secretly embracing Roman paganism as they were being killed for the faith.

HisServant

History is most certainly on my side. You won't even listen to Protestant leaders, so I guess that puts you way out on the fringe.

Why should I listen to them?

Who is the ultimate authority? Jesus and the Apostles or someone trained in a RCC seminary on romanized doctrine?

My beliefs would be more along the lines of what the Refomer John Calvin had to say on this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Calvin's_views_on_Mary

No perpetual virginity, not the mother of God and no immaculate conception and she plays no part in the economy of salvation.

So I am firmly grounded in the early churches beliefs in with one of the more preeminent Reformers of the Reformation.

Anyhow, what Jesus and the Apostles taught trumps anything the RCC or Calvin has to say.... and they sure didn't teach any of your church's Marian doctrines... not even a little bit.

genuineoriginal

You really are deep in the propaganda, aren't you? Right, the martyrs in ancient Rome were secretly embracing Roman paganism as they were being killed for the faith.
The martyrs that died for their faith are not the ones that sat with Constantine in the Nicene council.

I am assuming from your statements that you don't know anything about Christianity before the apostates in the Church of Rome under Constantine sold their inheritance for a bowl of pottage.

HisServant

Wow... just WOW... that is without a doubt the stupidest thing I read today... wow.

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I would mostly agree with you. But for many people, Catholicism (RCC) is very attractive as they love to be religious.

They love:

• Rituals
  • Ceremonies
  • Symbols
  • Feeling like they are righteous
  • Belonging to a large organization
  • Going through the motions
  • Repeating memorized phrases
  • Repeating canned "prayers"
You point about "culture and family" is also dead on. My mother-in-law says, "I was born a Catholic and I'll die a Catholic".
Thanks, yes, I'm in no way trying to suggest that Catholicism is not attractive to some.
And a lot of people with no religious faith at all invent rituals for themselves or piggy back on the rituals of others because it gives them some kind of kick. Perhaps it makes them feel that they are a good person so that they don't have to confront their need of God.

rougueone

Nothing exist in Catholisim or Protestantism, that would compell me to align with either.

My life is about Jesus. Because that is what what we lacked due to sin. Holy fellowship with the Father. God so incredibly merciful in HIS love gave mankind the opportunity of eternal salvation and Restoration of Holy Fellowship with God through Jesus.

John 14: 5 6 7

The Way, the Truth, and the Life
5Thomas said to Him, "Lord, we do not know where You are going, how do we know the way?" 6Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me. 7"If you had known Me, you would have known My Father also; from now on you know Him, and have seen Him."…

Only through our Christ....Not Catholicism nor Protestantism:

http://www.gotquestions.org/Jesus-only-way.html

brewmama

Why should I listen to them?

Who is the ultimate authority? Jesus and the Apostles or someone trained in a RCC seminary on romanized doctrine?

My beliefs would be more along the lines of what the Refomer John Calvin had to say on this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Calvin's_views_on_Mary

No perpetual virginity, not the mother of God and no immaculate conception and she plays no part in the economy of salvation.

So I am firmly grounded in the early churches beliefs in with one of the more preeminent Reformers of the Reformation.

Anyhow, what Jesus and the Apostles taught trumps anything the RCC or Calvin has to say.... and they sure didn't teach any of your church's Marian doctrines... not even a little bit.

I would bet you know nothing about my church, much less the Marian doctrines of it.

Sodor72

My parents made be a Catholic as a child. I was until my 2nd child was born and the church refused to baptize him because I didn't give enough money. A few words where exchanged, needless to say I was excommunicated. Best thing that ever happened to me.

HisServant

I would bet you know nothing about my church, much less the Marian doctrines of it.

What kind of response was that?... I was showing that my beliefs are heavily rooted in the protestant reformation when you claimed they weren't.

And you respond with something totally irrelevant.

And yes, I have read extensively about your Marian doctrines and how and why they developed. Its a pagan myth integrated into Roman Catholicism to appease certain ethnicities.