calling Pope Father.. Jesus used term "Father Abraham"

MortSullivan

Catholics in no way "worship" the pope, Mary, or any past Saint. We worship God alone.

See this.
No, actually you don't.

For Catholics, the words of the Pope carry more weight than the words of Jesus. The decisions of the Papacy carry more weight than the Bible itself. You bow down to and pray to statues and graven images - including those of Mary. Your liturgies resemble pagan rituals far more closely than anything Jesus said or did.

Congratulations.

Cruciform

No, actually you don't.
Please post your proof for the claim that Catholics somehow "worship" the pope.

For Catholics, the words of the Pope carry more weight than the words of Jesus.
A straightforwardly false statement.

The decisions of the Papacy carry more weight than the Bible itself.
Another flatly false statement.

You bow down to and pray to statues and graven images...
Again, false.

Your liturgies resemble pagan rituals far more closely than anything Jesus said or did.
You've been badly misinformed. The Catholic liturgy today is remarkably similar to the manner in which the early Christian Church worshiped, and is taken almost verbatim from the Scriptures.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Jesus also said to "call no one on earth your father."
This would certainly cohere to his question "Why do you call me good? Only God is good."
And to his words "Who called me a judge, friend?"

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Addressed in detail here.
Thanks for the reference.

Given the fact that every human being on the planet who has faith in a religion, I prefer not to use the categories of "right or wrong." It makes more sense to me to say "similar or different." To anyone who was born into a family of faith, their own theology will be seen as "right" in their own eyes.

I feel I have to respect their choice. I am not here to change anyone's mind or prove that I am right. I only pass along information I have learned from decades of study and commitment to the teachings of Jesus. The reader should make their own best choice after reading anything I write.

Dona Bate

Garden gnomes. You are going to argue that kneeling in front of a garden gnome while you pull weeds or turn soil is synomomus to kneeling in front of a statue of Mary with hands folded and reciting the Hale Mary. It never ceases to amaze me the lengths a Catholic will go to to justify that which cannot be justified.
So in essence what you are saying is that it's ok to pray kneeling in front of a statue of a garden gnome while doing the gardening. But not ok to kneel and pray in front of a statue of the Blessed Mary. Nor anything that is remotely Catholic no doubt.

The root of your problem CM appears to be your anti Catholic sectarianism gone mad.*

In context, pay attention now Cruciform, we are not call spiritual leaders and teachers father. God has reserved that use of the word exclusively for Himself. We can call our biological fathers father. We can call Abraham father because he fathered a nation. We can say that Edison was the father of the electric light. But if call our pastor or any other church leader father we are doing exactly what God said not to do.
CM wishes to contend that our apostle St. Paul who is called by God "your father through the gospel" in 1 Corinthians 4:15 was doing what 'God said not to do'. Unbelievable!

St. Paul is an*appointed "preacher, apostle and teacher" of the Lord God in*2 Timothy 1:11. But*according to CM's erroneous understanding of scripture: St. Paul 'is not to be called father'?

Here is CM's reasoning behind that statement..

'we are not call spiritual leaders and teachers father. God has reserved that use of the word exclusively for Himself'.*

RUBBISH!

Scripture makes rubbish of CM's claims in 1 Corinthians 4:15*"I am your father through the gospel" Gods word confirms for us that our Church teachers and leaders ARE to be called "father".

In the light of scripture that clearly proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that CM's understanding of "call no man on earth your father" in Matthew 23:9 is woefully wrong, we should give CM a chance to retract his erroneous statements.

Please confirm your answers to the following 3 questions CM with either a Yes or No answer.

1.Do you accept the word of God when He says of St. Paul "I am your father through the gospel" in*1 Corinthians 4:15. Yes or No?

2.Do you accept that you were wrong when you stated:*'we are not call spiritual leaders and teachers father. God has reserved that use of the word exclusively for Himself'. Yes or No?

3.Do you also accept that you are wrong to state: 'But if call our pastor or any other church leader father we are doing exactly what God said not to do'. Yes or No?

Jesus is obviously making a hyperbolic point with “call no man on earth your father” (Matthew 23:9) to let us all know that we only have one Heavenly Father. We can have many fathers but we only have one Father who is the Father of us all "Our" Father.

God Bless!

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
Seriously, do you have some type of learning disability? With any biblical interpretation, one must conform to the Canonical Context---that is, that of Scripture as a whole---when interpreting any particular text or passage. Any proposed interpretation must properly account for ALL of the related biblical data on the subject under discussion, not just certain select portions of it. This is 'Biblical Exegesis 101'. Your interpretations inevitably fail to fulfill this requirement, not to mention your failure to account for the immediate literary context itself. So much for my supposed "lying."

You said it.

Again, your recently-invented, man-made sect's interpretation/application of these texts utterly fails to account for the Canonical Context of Scripture, not to mention their immediate literary context.

Again: Canonical Context. :doh:

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Canonical context is just another way to say Catholic agenda.

Cruciform

Canonical context is just another way to say Catholic agenda.
Accounting for the Canonical Context of a passage is one of the fundamental principles of biblical hermeneutics, whether Catholic or Protestant. I first learned about it as an Evangelical Protestant in a Protestant university course on Hermeneutics. It appears that you don't even know how to correctly go about interpreting the Bible, but here you are presuming to post your clearly uninformed opinion on the matter. Given such basic ignorance on your part, you simply cannot be taken seriously, and neither can your personal interpretations.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

God's Truth

So in essence what you are saying is that it's ok to pray kneeling in front of a statue of a garden gnome while doing the gardening. But not ok to kneel and pray in front of a statue of the Blessed Mary. Nor anything that is remotely Catholic no doubt.

The root of your problem CM appears to be your anti Catholic sectarianism gone mad.*

God says do not bow before the works of your hands.

Leviticus 26:1"'You must not make for yourselves idols, so you must not set up for yourselves a carved image or a pillar, and you must not place a sculpted stone in your land to bow down before it, for I am the LORD your God.

No longer bow down to the work of your hands (see Micah 5:13)

The Catholics BOW in front of the statues that they made with their hands.

CM wishes to contend that our apostle St. Paul who is called by God "your father through the gospel" in 1 Corinthians 4:15 was doing what 'God said not to do'. Unbelievable!

Paul never told anyone to call him 'father'.

St. Paul is an*appointed "preacher, apostle and teacher" of the Lord God in*2 Timothy 1:11. But*according to CM's erroneous understanding of scripture: St. Paul 'is not to be called father'?

'we are not call spiritual leaders and teachers father. God has reserved that use of the word exclusively for Himself'.*

RUBBISH!

Scripture makes rubbish of CM's claims in 1 Corinthians 4:15*"I am your father through the gospel" Gods word confirms for us that our Church teachers and leaders ARE to be called "father".

In the light of scripture that clearly proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that CM's understanding of "call no man on earth your father" in Matthew 23:9 is woefully wrong, we should give CM a chance to retract his erroneous statements.

Please confirm your answers to the following 3 questions CM with either a Yes or No answer.

1.Do you accept the word of God when He says of St. Paul "I am your father through the gospel" in*1 Corinthians 4:15. Yes or No?

2.Do you accept that you were wrong when you stated:*'we are not call spiritual leaders and teachers father. God has reserved that use of the word exclusively for Himself'. Yes or No?

3.Do you also accept that you are wrong to state: 'But if call our pastor or any other church leader father we are doing exactly what God said not to do'. Yes or No?

Jesus is obviously making a hyperbolic point with “call no man on earth your father” (Matthew 23:9) to let us all know that we only have one Heavenly Father. We can have many fathers but we only have one Father who is the Father of us all "Our" Father.

God Bless!

Jesus was NOT making a hyperbolic point. Jesus' teachings are meant to be obeyed.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Accounting for the Canonical Context of a passage is one of the fundamental principles of biblical hermeneutics, whether Catholic or Protestant. I first learned about it as an Evangelical Protestant in a Protestant university course on Hermeneutics. It appears that you don't even know how to correctly go about interpreting the Bible, but here you are presuming to post your clearly uninformed opinion on the matter. Given such basic ignorance on your part, you simply cannot be taken seriously, and neither can your personal interpretations.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

I know the catholics do it poorly, on par with prosperity gospel preachers. Both groups twist and torture scripture top suit their own goals instead of God's.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
No, I never said nor implied that. That is a straw man you are attempting to create as it is easier to argue against than what I actually said. Kneeling in your garden while gardening, regardless of what statues you have in your garden, is not bowing and praying before a statue (unless you actually stop and bow and pray before a statue), its gardening.

What exactly do you mean by anti-Catholic? I have issues with Catholic doctrines and traditions but the people are my brothers and sisters in Christ.

For the record, I am not a MADist. I am what is considered a Conversationalist.

Paul, chosen and anointed by Christ, was given special privilege. As priests and popes are not chosen in the same way that Saul was, I am more inclined to follow what Jesus taught than trying to justify a tradition that cannot be justified.

RUBBISH!

You seem to be forgetting this scripture as taught by Jesus Himself:

Matthew 23:8-12New International Version (NIV)

8 “But you are not to be called ‘Rabbi,’ for you have one Teacher, and you are all brothers. 9 And do not call anyone on earth ‘father,’ for you have one Father, and he is in heaven. 10 Nor are you to be called instructors, for you have one Instructor, the Messiah. 11 The greatest among you will be your servant. 12 For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.

I think Paul was in error. It would not be the first time an Apostle made an error. Ask Peter about that.

Given that Jesus clearly and plainly states we are to call no man father, no, I am not wrong.

No, I am not wrong. What Jesus actually said carries more weight than an Apostles letter.

God Bless!
I don't think He was, I think Jesus said exactly what He meant to say. Within the context of the passage, Jesus is addressing people about their relationships with their spiritual teachers. Jesus says to call no man Rabbi, Father or Instructor within your group of spiritual leaders.

God's Truth

Paul, chosen and anointed by Christ, was given special privilege. As priests and popes are not chosen in the same way that Saul was, I am more inclined to follow what Jesus taught than trying to justify a tradition that cannot be justified.

The Catholic's popes add to the word of God, which Jesus says then nullifies God's word.

All the extra teachings of the Catholics go against what God says.

God is not testifying to the extra teachings of the Catholic's popes.

I think Paul was in error. It would not be the first time an Apostle made an error. Ask Peter about that.

Yeah but the thing Peter was in error about, it was corrected by Paul, as stated in the Bible.

You should not say Paul was in error, for the Bible does not state where Paul was corrected.

Paul never told anyone to call him father.

Paul says THERE ARE NOT MANY FATHERS IN CHRIST; however, the Catholic religion makes many fathers in Christ, as they pervert the written word.

1 Corinthians 4:15 Even if you had ten thousand guardians in Christ, you do not have many fathers, for in Christ Jesus I became your father through the gospel

Paul was speaking of himself as being a first, as a father comes first.

Again, but Paul never told anyone to call him father.

The Catholic denomination has many fathers in Christ, thousands upon thousands upon thousands.

The 'pope' is called father; the priests are called father, and the 'pope' and priests even call each other father. That is MANY; BUT PAUL SAYS NOT MANY.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
The Catholic's popes add to the word of God, which Jesus says then nullifies God's word.

All the extra teachings of the Catholics go against what God says.

God is not testifying to the extra teachings of the Catholic's popes.

Yeah but the thing Peter was in error about, it was corrected by Paul, as stated in the Bible.

You should not say Paul was in error, for the Bible does not state where Paul was corrected.

Paul never told anyone to call him father.

Paul says THERE ARE NOT MANY FATHERS IN CHRIST; however, the Catholic religion makes many fathers in Christ, as they pervert the written word.

1 Corinthians 4:15 Even if you had ten thousand guardians in Christ, you do not have many fathers, for in Christ Jesus I became your father through the gospel

Paul was speaking of himself as being a first, as a father comes first.

Again, but Paul never told anyone to call him father.

The Catholic denomination has many fathers in Christ, thousands upon thousands upon thousands.

The 'pope' is called father; the priests are called father, and the 'pope' and priests even call each other father. That is MANY; BUT PAUL SAYS NOT MANY.
Thanks for that. That is a good correction.

God's Truth

Thanks for that. That is a good correction.

Who says what you just did? What kind of heart is that? You bring tears to my eyes.
I wanted to say what you did about Paul too, and at times I still want to say it, we both know why. We will come across other such times, but we will continue to look deeper with love and understanding, and be able to defend the Truth.

Cruciform

I know the Catholics do it poorly, on par with prosperity gospel preachers. Both groups twist and torture scripture top suit their own goals instead of God's.
...according to the entirely non-authoritative opinions of your favored recently-invented, man-made non-Catholic sect, anyway.

Post #68 stands.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
...according to the entirely non-authoritative opinions of your favored recently-invented, man-made non-Catholic sect, anyway.

Post #68 stands.
Sad to see that you consider the very words of Jesus non-authoritative, recently invented and man made.

dialm

BANNED
Banned
Who is the father of the Pope since good Cathlic priests cannot get married? I suspect the Devil himself.

Cruciform

Sad to see that you consider the very words of Jesus...
Rather, your non-authoritative sectarian interpretation/application of Jesus' words.

...non-authoritative, recently invented and man made.
Refers not to the isolated Scriptures you quoted (seriously, are you at all functionally literate?), but to your particular Protestant sect.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+