ECT Forgiving and Forgiveness

bybee

[FONT=&quot]Forgiveness is dismissing a debt. In the New Testament, the Greek noun aphesis denotes a "dismissal" or "release." When you grant forgiveness, you dismiss the debt owed to you. When you receive forgiveness, your debt is dismissed. When you grant forgiveness, you dismiss the debt from your thoughts. Forgiveness is dismissing your demand that others owe you something, especially when they fail to meet your expectations... fail to keep a promise... fail to treat you justly.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]That said, forgiveness is not [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]- circumventing God's justice[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- waiting for time to heal all wounds[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- letting the guilty off the hook[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
- the same thing as reconciliation[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- excusing unjust behavior[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- explaining away the hurt[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- based on what is fair[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- being a weak martyr[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- stuffing your anger[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- a natural response[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- denying the hurt[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- being a doormat[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- conditional (God mandates it!)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- forgetting[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- a feeling....[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]God commands us to forgive. Forgiveness is an act of the will, it is not some emotion.

[/FONT]Let's dig a wee bit deeper into reconciliation. Is forgiveness the same as reconciliation?

No. Forgiveness is not the same as reconciliation. Forgiveness focuses on the offense, whereas reconciliation focuses on the relationship. Forgiveness requires no relationship. However, reconciliation requires a relationship in which two people, in agreement, are walking together toward the same goal. The Bible says,

"Do two walk together unless they have agreed to do so?" (Amos 3:3)

• Forgiveness can take place with only one person.
    Reconciliation requires at least two persons.
  • Forgiveness is directed one-way.
    Reconciliation is reciprocal... occurring two-ways.
  • Forgiveness is a decision to release the offender.
    Reconciliation is the effort to rejoin the offender.
  • Forgiveness involves a change in thinking about the offender.
    Reconciliation involves a change in behavior by the offender.
  • Forgiveness is a free gift to the one who has broken trust.
    Reconciliation is a restored relationship based on restored trust.
  • Forgiveness is extended even if it is never, ever earned.
    Reconciliation is offered to the offender because it has been earned.
  • Forgiveness is unconditional, regardless of a lack of repentance.
    Reconciliation is conditional based on repentance.
A question that I am often asked is "After we forgive someone, must we also try to be reconciled?"

My Answer to this question is sometimes yes and sometimes no.

• Most of the time God's desire for us is reconciliation. Second Corinthians 5:18 says, "God... reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation."
  • However, sometimes encouraging the restoration of a relationship is not at all wise, as with a partner in adultery or with a rapist. First Corinthians 15:33 says, "Do not be misled: 'Bad company corrupts good character.'" For instance, if a husband's anger is out of control and he refuses to get help for his violent temper, the wife needs to take this Scripture to heart and move out of harm's way until counseling and lasting changes are a part of his lifestyle.
"Do not make friends with a hot-tempered man, do not associate with one easily angered." (Proverbs 22:24)

AMR

This is a very helpful response. The distinction between forgiveness, which is not so difficult and reconciliation, which may be very difficult, is something requiring some serious contemplation.
I believe that as a Christian I must be careful where I put myself.

heir

TOL Subscriber
The real question is, "How do you understand ANYTHING?"

2 Timothy 2:7 Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things.

2 Timothy 2:8 Remember that Jesus Christ of the seed of David was raised from the dead according to my gospel:

Meshak has no hope of understanding as she rejects what Paul said.

:(

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
2 Timothy 2:7 Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things.

2 Timothy 2:8 Remember that Jesus Christ of the seed of David was raised from the dead according to my gospel:

Meshak has no hope of understanding as she rejects what Paul said.

:(

Yep

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
This is a very helpful response. The distinction between forgiveness, which is not so difficult and reconciliation, which may be very difficult, is something requiring some serious contemplation.
I believe that as a Christian I must be careful where I put myself.

the distinction that needs to be made
is
between forgiving and forgiveness

'forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us'

'forgive us our trespasses'
is
asking for forgiveness or repentance

'we forgive those who trespass against us'
is
forgiving, not forgiveness

forgiveness is reconciliation
and
you have to ask for it

Danoh

the distinction that needs to be made
is
between forgiving and forgiveness

'forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us'

'forgive us our trespasses'
is
asking for forgiveness or repentance

'we forgive those who trespass against us'
is
forgiving, not forgiveness

forgiveness is reconciliation
and
you have to ask for it

Of course such is the case - when one is Romans Catholic, or just as confused...

Colossians 2:

8. Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.
9. For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.
10. And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:
11. In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:
12. Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.
13. And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;
14. Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;
15. And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.

18. Let no man beguile you of your reward in a voluntary humility and worshipping of angels, intruding into those things which he hath not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind,
19. And not holding the Head, from which all the body by joints and bands having nourishment ministered, and knit together, increaseth with the increase of God.
20. Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances,
21. [Touch not; taste not; handle not;
22. Which all are to perish with the using;] after the commandments and doctrines of men?
23. Which things have indeed a shew of wisdom in will worship, and humility, and neglecting of the body: not in any honour to the satisfying of the flesh.

For tomorrow you and yours will be back at it again; the endless treadmill of your flesh calling you once more via the traditions of men - "the Cross was not enough - do something - the Cross was not enough - do something!"

But, go right ahead and follow the traditions of men.

heir

TOL Subscriber
For tomorrow you and yours will be back at it again; the endless treadmill of your flesh calling you once more via the traditions of men - "the Cross was not enough - do something - the Cross was not enough - do something!"

chrys is a believe notter and is blinded because of it (2 Corinthians 4:3-4 KJV).

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Reminds you of they that are ignorant of God's righteousness, and thus they go about to establish their own righteousness, and thus have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God. (Rom 10:3)

If anyone is relying on their own righteousness, they are relying on the wrong ONE.
Romans 5 KJV
(18) Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.
(19) For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.​

heir

TOL Subscriber
is quoting scripture all you can do?
The whole armour of God makes you hisssssss. Why is that?

Ephesians 6:11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.

Ephesians 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Forgiving and Forgiveness

Back to post 1.

This is serious instruction about forgiving and forgiveness. How serious is it? I take it very serious, since Jesus said it, I believe it is an absolute truth.
Mark 11:25-26

"And whenever you stand praying, if you have anything against anyone, forgive him, that your Father in heaven may also forgive you your trespasses. But if you do not forgive, neither will your Father in heaven forgive your trespasses."

Luke 6:36

Therefore be merciful, just as your Father also is merciful.

I believe that it isn't wise to let things that unforgiven in that way, I believe we should seek to forgive others and accept the forgiveness offered to us and then get on with our life.​

Last edited:

Cross Reference

Back to post 1.
Mark 11:25-26
"And whenever you stand praying, if you have anything against anyone, forgive him, that your Father in heaven may also forgive you your trespasses. But if you do not forgive, neither will your Father in heaven forgive your trespasses."

Luke 6:36
Therefore be merciful, just as your Father also is merciful.

I believe that it isn't wise to things that unforgiven in that way, I believe we should seek to forgive others and accept the forgiveness offered to us and then get on with our life.[/INDENT]

Get on with our life?? Doing that only means we get back to doing our own thing. How 'bout getting on with learning God's Life indwelling us, if indeed we believe it does?