ECT "This Generation"

Danoh

(Numbers 26:4) "Take a census of the men twenty years old or more, as the LORD commanded Moses." These were the Israelites who came out of Egypt:

(Numbers 32:13) The LORD's anger burned against Israel and he made them wander in the wilderness forty years, until the whole generation of those who had done evil in his sight was gone.

Now, let's jump to the first century:

(Luke 2:1) In those days Caesar Augustus issued a decree that a census should be taken of the entire Roman world.

(Luke 21:32) “Truly I tell you, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened.

Jesus said "this generation" in 30AD. The destruction came in 70AD (40 years later)

"forty years, until the whole generation of those who had done evil in his sight was gone"

So, it was the men 20 years or older in 30AD[

Address my above post about your behavior - apologize to us all; stop being a jerk for a time; and I'll gladly address the issues you raise.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Address my above post about your behavior - apologize to us all; stop being a jerk for a time; and I'll gladly address the issues you raise.

Um....I think you're full of yourself.

I owe you no apology.

I couldn't care less if you ever respond to another one of my posts.

You're a Darby follower.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Yeah, sure; you live for the strife.

I could care less.

I think I will.

There, a Tet style denial.

:rotfl:

Jesus said "this generation" in 30AD. The destruction came in 70AD (40 years later)

"forty years, until the whole generation of those who had done evil in his sight was gone"

Interplanner

It's the generation that was supposed to enter the 'Sabbath rest' like the one in the wilderness. To 'enter' means to believe on Christ.

ClimateSanity

Nope, not at all.

I know what "this generation" means.

However, to date, you Darby followers have come up with SEVEN different explanations that are not the right answer.

Do you realize the word "this" is a pronoun? It refers to something previously mentioned.

With that said, it is very likely that "this generation" refers to those who will see all these things come to pass.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Tet,
it would be great if you listed the seven.

Here are the SEVEN explanations (excuses) the Darby followers have given on TOL, in their attempt to make "this generation" mean something it does not:

1) "this" really means "that"
2) "generation" means the race of Jews
3) Some stones were still left standing
4) A secret subjunctive clause
5) "this" is not a demonstrative adjective, it's a pronoun
6) "all these things" in Matt 24:34 only pertains to the things up to verse 3
7) "this generation" refers to every human since Adam

ClimateSanity

YOU say that.

And you follow Preterism.

Would that were the actual problem.

As I see it; your subscribing to Preterism is not the problem here, as I have friends who subscribe to Preterism; and other friends who subscribe to one system of interpretation, or another - and we each believe all the others are each off.

So, that's not the problem here as I see it.

Rather, that you are a jerk who just has to bait others with the same old strife enducing tricks in post after post, year after year.

Even as you hurl the accusation at us in an insulting manner that we are Darby followers, and that we have an agenda.

I have Muslim friends and we strongly disagree with one another. Strongly.

We never assert though that the other is simply up to no good; as you always do.

Not only that, but when ever we run together, none of us show up to attempt each time to bait the other, let alone, via questions we have no actual intetest in exploring each our understanding of.

None of us hurl your fool accusations at one another.

The problem here is not our disagreement with Preterism, that is a given, as we differ in our understanding of those things.

I'm fine with I Am A Berean, though I disagree with him. I'm fine with Totten, though she is Post Trib. I'm fine with Mr. Religion, though he is Reformed.

The problem here is that you are a jerk who logs on in search of strife.

In person, you would not pull this nonsense for long.

You...are a joke. Plain and simple.

Amen. All completely true.

Interplanner

Some people specialize in sucking all the drama out of the NT. Christ is a prophet (for one thing) and a 'nabi' declares the truth to his people, more than tells them the future. But he is warning that if they continue doing what was exposed, they (that generation) will be ruined.

Nowhere is he more clear than Lk 23's 'your children' when speaking to those with infants. When they grew up, 40 years later, guess what?

No matter what your theology, you have the following components: you have the Prophet, and you have a catastrophic event on the scale of the 1st destruction of Jerusalem. The prophet explains the cause of the effect. Like prophets of old.

To listen to the 'theologians' here, you would think the first thing we must do is explode any connection at all between the two!

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
It's the generation that was supposed to enter the 'Sabbath rest' like the one in the wilderness. To 'enter' means to believe on Christ.

That generation did enter the Sabbath rest.

The Exodus generation entered a physical promised land (after 40 years) for rest from physical bondage.

The First Century generation entered a spiritual promised land (after 40 years) for rest from the bondage of sin.

Moses was a typology of Jesus.

ClimateSanity

Not everything Jesus prophecied in the Oliver discourse came to pass in 70 A.D. even if we grant you the temple stones issue.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
There was judgment on the Jews who rejected Christ Jesus.
Yeah, that is the judgement when the men of Ninny and the Queenie are going to be with "this generation" to judge them because of their denial and rejection of Christ.

So, if as you say, the Roman Army in 70AD was the judgement on them for their rejection of Christ, then the men of Ninny and Queenie need to be there for that judgement.

Maybe we are just talking past each other, cause I can't figure out what you think the judgement of 70AD was about, if not for the rejection of Christ.
I thought you claim 70AD was the judgement on them for rejecting Christ.
:idunno: