Homeschooling Robs Children

Christine

Home-schooling robs children
By MARGARET W. BOYCE

I read with interest the recent article in The Sentinel about home-school
families. I find it strange that we send our young men and women to help
assure that children can go to school in Afghanistan, yet we allow parents
in Michigan to keep their children at home.

One of the best and brightest moves that our Founding Fathers made was to
make it possible for all children in America, not just the rich, to be
educated. Eventually, all children were expected to attend. If they did not,
they were considered "truant" and parents were held responsible and could go
to jail. This public education still is the very cornerstone of democracy.

This strange phenomenon called "home schooling" at best undermines these
principles. For many children, it is far worse. Who is monitoring these
families? Many a child of abusive parents has an observant teacher to thank
for a rescue, some for their very lives. To whom can these children turn
when they are kept at home? They are being denied a basic right, which has
been fought for all the way to the Supreme Court -- the right to attend
school.

We don't allow people to play doctor or nurse without a license, nor can
one play lawyer without passing some rather rigorous tests. But today,
anyone who wants to "play school" can do so, regardless of their educational
background. Recently, some parents have been jailed for withholding medical
treatment for their children, yet we are almost making heroes of these
parents who do the same with their children's education.

Some parents of home-schooled children speak glowingly of the "wonderful
imaginations" developed by their lonely child, who, being surrounded always
by adults, has little opportunities to develop friendships with real
children. Others associate only with small groups of like-minded people.
What happens when they enter the world and cannot control everything, as
they do in their sheltered home environment?

What an ego trip for a parent -- to be all things to your children, to
control every thought, every concept that enters their world. Is this
education, or programming? To deny them the stimulation of working and
playing with their peers is unfair. It's far better to send them out into
the world for brief forays, such as the school day, and then discuss the
day's adventure while they are still young enough to want to work out values
with their parents.

There are other losses, such as never being "on the team," never cheering
for "our school," never being in a class where the interaction of ideas is
more important than the text, or doing any of the myriad of things that make
up the process of "belonging," from the first day of school to the 50th
class reunion. There is far more to an education than a curriculum -- it
includes summer break, Friday nights and graduation.

I have met and talked with a variety of home-schoolers, both children and
parents. Many have great gaps in their knowledge. Many are incredibly naive.
Some do quite well -- they would have been superstars in school. Others
can't wait to leave home, knowing full well that they have been cheated.

Parents often believe that they are protecting their children from the
"evils" of life. However, children cannot be brought up in a bell jar.
Remember that the school day is only six hours long, five days a week. That
leaves many hours during the week and summer for the parent.

Give your child the wings needed to grow outside of that jar. If parents
wish to be involved in the education of their children, there are many
opportunities to be part of the school day. Volunteer to be a lunch or
recess monitor. Offer to tutor children in reading or math. Help the art
teacher. Be a part of the process of building your community, not a member
of the opposition.

A recent Harvard study following home-schooled children over many years
found that these children did not do better at the college level than
traditionally educated children. The real trip was for the mothers, who
received the big emotional rewards. My response is: Mothers, get a life. How
unfair it is for you to take away your own child's life in order to gratify
yours? Is this what we must expect from the "me first" generation as it
raises their families?

The role of a parent is vital in a child's education. However, without all
four of the pillars provided by home, school, church and community working
together, we have a precarious foundation for the next generation. The
public school system is the very cornerstone of democracy in America. We
need to cherish it and nurture it.

http://www.thehollandsentinel.net/stories/091204/opi_091204052.shtml

Crow

I wonder why this woman feels that homeschool kids have no friends? Or why she feels that it is her decision whether parents should have the option to school their kids or not?

She cites that one has to have a license to nurse and be a lawyer. This it true if one is doing this activity for the public for profit. One has the right to act as his own counsel without a law degree, just as parents have performed nursing activities for their kids and within ther families since time immemorable.

Kids have the right to an education. They do not have an obligation to a public school education. Homeschooling and private schools are a good alternative.

The Columbus Ohio area published a list of the schools it deemed to be substandard based on tests and how long the school had been on the list. Some had been there for 5 years. If I had a kid in one of those 5 year failures, I would be negligent if I let my kid go to such a miserable disgrace of a learning institution.

It's the parent's choice. And no one is destroying their community and joining the "opposition" if they homeschool. What a nutcase.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Re: Homeschooling Robs Children

Originally written by Margaret W. Boyce

One of the best and brightest moves that our Founding Fathers made was to
make it possible for all children in America, not just the rich, to be
educated. Eventually, all children were expected to attend. If they did not,
they were considered "truant" and parents were held responsible and could go
to jail. This public education still is the very cornerstone of democracy.
Boyce thinks our founding fathers established the public school system? :hammer:

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Homeschooling robs children of having good odds of becoming sluts before they graduate highschool.

ShadowMaid

I didn't even read the whole thing, and I'm going to take this time to ask... why do I find this incredibly stupid?

Now please excuse me while I finish this painful article. :rolleyes:

Crow

Originally posted by Gerald

Well, all the ones I've ever encountered were nutbars...

I met ebenz's kid and Christine and Elaine a few months ago. They weren't nutbars and they were 3 nice intelligent kids.

Then there are the kids my nephew hangs out with in his public school. And the get up they adopt over the summer. One, in particular, comes to mind....

Picture a somewhat dumpy kid of around 16. His hair is cut about 1/4 inch long all over his head except for 3 inch bangs which hang, lank and greasy, upon his pimple bespecked foreheand. The bangs are streaked blond (on black hair) in a manner resembling prison stripes. Blue spray paint or dye or who knows what has been applied to the rest of the hair in a somewhat dappled pattern. One eyebrow is pierced 3 times. He wears hoop earrings in both ears, and a zircon stud in his nose.

The t-shirt is black, sleveless, and conspicuously unclean. Eau de pitt is painfully evident.

He affects the layered look for his lower body. A layer of bare love handle, with a saucy hint of cleavage. A layer of exposed underwear. A layer of baggy pants, sagging in the manner of one who has loaded one's undergarment.

The sandals are of the style once known as "Ho Che Minh. The toenails are laquered black.

I guess it all depends on what you consider to be a nutbar. :chuckle:

If I had kids, I sure wouldn't want them hanging out with this .... I don't know what to call him. True, he's the most repulsive of the bunch and has to clean up somewhat during the school year, but the rest aren't far behind. I'd rather keep my kids at home or at a private school, even if they did lose out on some of the social aspects of rubbing elbows with such a ..... specimen.

Last edited:

Gerald

Resident Fiend
Originally posted by Crow
I met ebenz's kid and Christine and Elaine a few months ago. They weren't nutbars and they were 3 nice intelligent kids.
Well, I did say all the ones that I had encountered...;)
Picture a somewhat dumpy kid of around 16. His hair is cut about 1/4 inch long all over his head except for 3 inch bangs which hang, lank and greasy, upon his pimple bespecked foreheand. The bangs are streaked blond (on black hair) in a manner resembling prison stripes. Blue spray paint or dye or who knows what has been applied to the rest of the hair in a somewhat dappled pattern. One eyebrow is pierced 3 times. He wears hoop earrings in both ears, and a zircon stud in his nose.

The t-shirt is black, sleveless, and conspicuously unclean. Eau de pitt is painfully evident.

He affects the layered look for his lower body. A layer of bare love handle, with a saucy hint of cleavage. A layer of exposed underwear. A layer of baggy pants, sagging in the manner of one who has loaded one's undergarment.

The sandals are of the style once known as "Ho Che Minh. The toenails are laquered black.

I guess it all depends on what you consider to be a nutbar. :chuckle:

If I had kids, I sure wouldn't want them hanging out with this .... I don't know what to call him. True, he's the most repulsive of the bunch and has to clean up somewhat during the school year, but the rest aren't far behind. I'd rather keep my kids at home or at a private school, even if they did lose out on some of the social aspects of rubbing elbows with such a ..... specimen.
Problem is, the truly dangerous "specimens" are the ones who dress and speak well and keep their grades up, but beneath that civilized exterior beats the heart of a villain of the deepest dye...like yours truly... ;)

Crow

Originally posted by Gerald

Problem is, the truly dangerous "specimens" are the ones who dress and speak well and keep their grades up, but beneath that civilized exterior beats the heart of a villain of the deepest dye...like yours truly... ;)

They ones who dress and speak well do have the potential. That loathsome friend of my nephew.....oh, well--the world needs ditchdiggers too. Was that from Stripes?

I'd rather have my nephew hang with the clean dangerous than the bizzaro kids. Sometimes, I just have to look at them, even though they're gross as heck. It's like passing a really horrible car wreck--no matter how civilized you pretend to be, you just gotta look.....

Gerald

Resident Fiend
Originally posted by Crow
They ones who dress and speak well do have the potential.
Indeed. Just look at Eddie Haskell...
I'd rather have my nephew hang with the clean dangerous than the bizzaro kids.
Are you sure about that? A "clean, dangerous" could corrupt your nephew and turn him into... :noway: ...an atheist. I know that I've planted that evil seed into more than one young mind... :devil:

Are you certain that bizarro and basically harmless is preferable to...the alternative...? :noid:

Just doing my part to curdle the milk of human kindness... ;)

SOTK

Yes, all this from a room full of experts in here. :yawn: I noticed most of you are parents. :rolleyes:

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SOTK

Yes, all this from a room full of experts in here. :yawn: I noticed most of you are parents. :rolleyes:

Your point being?

SOTK

Originally posted by ebenz47037

Your point being?

I'm tired of hearing anti-public school remarks and seeing anti-public school threads. Homeschooling is fine and has my support, but I'm tired of the snide remarks, generalizations, and negative feelings from homeschoolers or homeschool supporters regarding public school. It's especially tiresome coming from fellow brothers and sisters in Christ. Furthermore, I get irritated when some of the people campaigning against public school aren't even parents yet!

I don't mind debating the ends and outs of this issue, but when it comes across in the fashion that I described above and/or I feel that I am being judged, it bothers me.

I have never felt that way with you, Nori. I appreciate your opinion and how you address it. :)

SOTK

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SOTK

I'm tired of hearing anti-public school remarks and seeing anti-public school threads. Homeschooling is fine and has my support, but I'm tired of the snide remarks, generalizations, and negative feelings from homeschoolers or homeschool supporters regarding public school. It's especially tiresome coming from fellow brothers and sisters in Christ. Furthermore, I get irritated when some of the people campaigning against public school aren't even parents yet!

I've been on all three sides of the board with this issue. :) :jessilu: was in Christian school for kindergarten and first grade, public school for about one to two months in second grade and again for about three months in fourth grade, and homeschooled the rest. My choice, based solely on the schools (both public and private) that I've dealt with, is to homeschool my daughter. I know that some people cannot homeschool. That's one reason I volunteer to help parents who want to homeschool but can't. I also know people who would like to send their kids to public or private school but don't, either because of distance or finances.

The reason I do not put down parents for making educational decisions for their children is because the decision belongs in the hands of the parents. I tend to ignore comments, both pro-homeschooling and anti-homeschooling, that put down parents for making decisions that they feel are in their childrens' best interests. I saw your remark and took the bait and bit. :chuckle:

I don't mind debating the ends and outs of this issue, but when it comes across in the fashion that I described above and/or I feel that I am being judged, it bothers me.

Let 'em judge you. One way or the other, it has no effect on how you raise your children. Does it? I know what it's like being judged. I'm the second parent ,in my generation, in my family who has decided to homeschool. Most of my family looks down on my cousin and me. But, my cousin's oldest son just got a free ride to Princeton based on his SAT score. Very proud of him. :)

My family tells me, all the time, that :jessilu: needs to experience public school. I tell them that I don't want her to be pregnant by the time she graduates (if she even does) or told that she cannot learn to her full potential because it hurts someone's feelings.

I have never felt that way with you, Nori. I appreciate your opinion and how you address it. :)

SOTK

I know. :) I saw the comment and had to bite. :chuckle: I know it's hard having some of the criticism about your decisions on how to raise your children coming from a child. I love Christine, but in this case, I think she's wrong. Parents have to make the decisions about their own children and should be applauded for doing such a thing in today's world of little to no morals.

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Christine

He doesn't think someone's qualified to speak on an issue unless they've "been there, done that." :rolleyes:

Okay, Christine. Now, it's your turn. :chuckle: You know that I like you very much. And, you know how I feel about homeschooling. But, in this case, I have to agree with SOTK.

It is the parents' responsibility to raise their children how they see fit. That includes their education. Although, personally, I believe that homeschooling is much better for children than private and/or public school, each parent should make that decision, without fear of criticism from children not related to them. This is a case of respecting your elders. I believe that children should respect their elders unless given reason not to. Reasons not to respect your elders include abuse or disrespect shown by the elder in question toward your parents. I have seen neither of those from SOTK toward you.

And, although I say "children should respect their elders," I can say that I show a good example of that myself. I respect my elders.

I know that this is taking this discussion off track, but I felt this needed to be said. Christine, please remember that I am saying this in love.

SOTK

Nori,

Thank you for your supportive and encouraging words! I sincerely appreciate them. :) I hope some of the others around here learn to follow your tact. It's one thing to disagree on an issue but quite another to pass judgement or to ridicule.

I hope :jessilu: knows what a special mother she has in you!

In Christ,

SOTK