NFL 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
One report out today says Shanahan won't be considered. Odd, given what he did for Elway and how he put together a line that put journeyman running backs over the thousand yard mark.

Caledvwlch

One report out today says Shanahan won't be considered. Odd, given what he did for Elway and how he put together a line that put journeyman running backs over the thousand yard mark.

Do you think coaches have a "prime"? Shanahan's titles were 16 and 17 years ago (why does it feel like 25 to me?).

I don't think they really do, but I've heard the argument made before. Mostly on Boston sports talk radio, which on the best days is a wasteland of dumb.

Caledvwlch

do you think peyton would give up half his salary for a couple good linemen?

I don't think so. It's one thing to restructure some guaranteed money, but I don't think any agent would let Peyton take a 50% pay cut. Plus it would cost other quarterbacks money when their teams say, "Hey, Peyton's only making seven million this year!"

Granite

Hall of Fame
Read this on SI this morning and it really sums it up perfectly.

Manning's embarrassing playoff record can in no way be sugar-coated. Yes, he earned a Super Bowl ring with the Colts in 2006. But he’s now 11-13 in the postseason, the most defeats by any quarterback in NFL history, and he’s lost five of the past seven playoff games he’s appeared in, being knocked out of the tournament in one game in '10, '12 and '14, as well as his '09 upset Super Bowl loss to the Saints. Manning has managed to lose three of his most recent five playoff games played at home, and both of his latest Super Bowls. Though his teams were favored in 11 of the 13 playoff games he’s lost -- including Sunday’s -- Manning’s propensity to play his worst when the stakes are the highest is a huge and significant chapter in his record-breaking career.

To be blunt, he's been mediocre at best when he needed to be lights out. Tremendous quarterback, but he slipped consistently on the biggest stages.

shagster01

Read this on SI this morning and it really sums it up perfectly.

Manning's embarrassing playoff record can in no way be sugar-coated. Yes, he earned a Super Bowl ring with the Colts in 2006. But he’s now 11-13 in the postseason, the most defeats by any quarterback in NFL history, and he’s lost five of the past seven playoff games he’s appeared in, being knocked out of the tournament in one game in '10, '12 and '14, as well as his '09 upset Super Bowl loss to the Saints. Manning has managed to lose three of his most recent five playoff games played at home, and both of his latest Super Bowls. Though his teams were favored in 11 of the 13 playoff games he’s lost -- including Sunday’s -- Manning’s propensity to play his worst when the stakes are the highest is a huge and significant chapter in his record-breaking career.

To be blunt, he's been mediocre at best when he needed to be lights out. Tremendous quarterback, but he slipped consistently on the biggest stages.

And Manning is to blame when, for example, he left the field with a lead and less than two minutes left and the defense couldn't hold, which has happened a few times?

Caledvwlch

Cowher?

If they're thinking of hiring Cowher, they should have just kept Fox.

Cowher was 2-4 in AFC Championship Games, and 1-1 in Super Bowls.

Sure in a different decade with different rules and different players. I don't think his past playoff record is any special indicator of what he might accomplish from a new sideline.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
so where is tet?

we need to know what the highest paid quarterbacks are doing this weekend

It's complicated.

The list can be by "Total Contract Value", "Average per Year", "Total Guaranteed", "Average Guaranteed per Year", or "Cap Value".

Then there's signing bonuses, and incentive bonuses.

For example: For the year 2014, Rodgers has the highest contract amount, Kaepernick has the highest guaranteed amount, Eli Manning has the highest Cap Value, and Brees made the most money.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Sure in a different decade with different rules and different players. I don't think his past playoff record is any special indicator of what he might accomplish from a new sideline.

Cowher is 57, his wife passed away a few years ago, and his daughters are all grown up.

So, there is no reason for him not to, unless he enjoys his NFL gig at CBS more than he did coaching.

I don't know what he makes at CBS, but he could probably make $4 Million a year if he came back to coach.

Caledvwlch

Cowher is 57, his wife passed away a few years ago, and his daughters are all grown up.

So, there is no reason for him not to, unless he enjoys his NFL gig at CBS more than he did coaching.

I don't know what he makes at CBS, but he could probably make $4 Million a year if he came back to coach.

Sure, maybe he just doesn't want to deal with the grind. And that's fine, but I kinda figured he'd only have one year off after the Steelers before somebody grabbed him. I just sort of miss his angry face on the sidelines. So much better than:

amd_tom-coughlin-speaks.jpg

Granite

Hall of Fame
And Manning is to blame when, for example, he left the field with a lead and less than two minutes left and the defense couldn't hold, which has happened a few times?

Here's how I look at it: Either he's got hands-down the worst postseason luck in NFL history, or he's sometimes part of the problem.

shagster01

Here's how I look at it: Either he's got hands-down the worst postseason luck in NFL history, or he's sometimes part of the problem.

Why? 13 losses sound like a lot, but you get a loss no matter what unless you win it all. He's gone to the post season 14 times. Of course he will have a lot of losses. Granted, he could/should have another Superbowl win or two, but if you go to the playoffs a lot, you will end up with a lot of playoff losses.

Even if he won two more Superbowls in that time he'd have 11 losses.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Why? 13 losses sound like a lot, but you get a loss no matter what unless you win it all. He's gone to the post season 14 times. Of course he will have a lot of losses. Granted, he could/should have another Superbowl win or two, but if you go to the playoffs a lot, you will end up with a lot of playoff losses.

Even if he won two more Superbowls in that time he'd have 11 losses.

Brady's postseason record is 19-8. Montana's at 16-7. Aikman's at 11-4. Playing a lot of playoff games does not mean you'll necessarily have "a lot" of losses. I'd say thirteen doesn't "sound" like a lot, shag. That's a bunch of games.

Is the guy just snakebit?

shagster01

Brady's postseason record is 19-8. Montana's at 16-7. Aikman's at 11-4. Playing a lot of playoff games does not mean you'll necessarily have "a lot" of losses. I'd say thirteen doesn't "sound" like a lot, shag. That's a bunch of games.

Is the guy just snakebit?

What I am saying though is that in order to have 13 playoff losses you have to have made it to the playoffs at least 13 seasons. He has more losses than anyone else because nobody else has made the playoffs 14 seasons so it would be impossible for anyone to have more.

Granite

Hall of Fame
What I am saying though is that in order to have 13 playoff losses you have to have made it to the playoffs at least 13 seasons. He has more losses than anyone else because nobody else has made the playoffs 14 seasons so it would be impossible for anyone to have more.

His win-loss percentage isn't impressive. His one and done performances are astounding, to say the least. So again, does he just have bad luck, or can we finally just admit he's been part of the problem?

Put another way: Is it fair to say that if he'd just played better he might have, ya know, won more playoff games?

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
No way. That would be the '90-'93 Buffalo Bills.

I don't know about that.

Marty Schottenheimer was 5-13 in the postseason.

Schottenheimer, just like Peyton Manning, has NINE "one-and-dones"

Schottenheimer went "one-and-done" with two 13-3 teams, and one 14-2 team.

Status
Not open for further replies.