toldailytopic: Does your opinion about homosexuality change if the behavior turns out

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
God the Father knows your genetic weaknesses, and still he condemns the behavior.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Culture warrior, I was just being sarcastic and kidding. I'm not trying to "justify" homosexuality. I just saying that in this supposedly enlightened and civilized age, people should not be obsessed with what other people do in private and try to persecute others just because they happen to disapprove of their lifestyles.

Correct me if I'm wrong here TH, but it sounds like you're justifying homosexuality when you wrote the following:

"I just saying that in this supposedly enlightened and civilized age, people should not be obsessed with what other people do in private and try to persecute others just because they happen to disapprove of their lifestyles."

Please tell me what is so "enlightened and civilized" about homosexual behavior? Ever been to a gay pride parade? What are your thoughts on other "consensual acts" like polygamy, incest, and adultery?

Sheesh ! And it's true. Animals were sometimes put on trial and executed in the middle ages, because people were unbelievably stupid and ignorant back then.
I fear that America is getting closer and closer to reverting back to those middle ages. Just look at Michele Bachmann. . . . . .

Just out of curiousity TH, when a Pit Bull mauls a child, what procedure is usually followed?

"In 1457 five-year-old Jehan Martin was murdered and partly eaten by eight pigs. The court demanded death for all eight..."
http://www.suite101.com/content/medieval-animal-trials-executions--a169099

Granite

Hall of Fame
You have to believe this because hating someone simply for who they are still makes some of you guys uncomfortable.

PureX

I struggle with this because I believe a person "does what he does" because of who he is. That is precisely why our Lord said what we think in our mind is as much a sin as what we do.
Yes, but a sociopath like Dahlmer is as much the product of genetics and conditioning as he is of his own free will. So it's really impossible to say where his sin ends and the sins of those who abused him begin. And what about "God's sin", in giving him a genetic code that disables his ability to empathize with the pain of others?

This is the problem I have with the whole "sin thing". Mankind doesn't have the capacity necessary to ever really accurately assess responsibility. Yet God knows we LOVE to do it, anyway. And whenever we do, we're bound to be wrong. So I think the evidence is overwhelming of the idea that we just leave the whole "sin thing" alone. Not one of us has the ability to assess it accurately. Not one. And every time we try we're guaranteed to screw it up and pass wrong judgments on other people and ourselves. If I never hear another human being utter the word "sin" as long as I live it will still be too soon. Because every time I hear it, I know someone's full of it!

Last edited:

bybee

Yes, but a sociopath like Dahlmer is as much the product of genetics and conditioning as he is of his own free will. So it's really impossible to say where his sin ends and the sins of those who abused him begin. And what about "God's sin", in giving him a genetic code that disables his ability to empathize with the pain of others?

This is the problem I have with the whole "sin thing". Mankind doesn't have the capacity necessary to ever really accurately assess responsibility. Yet God knows we LOVE to do it, anyway. And whenever we do, we're bound to be wrong. So I think the evidence is overwhelming of the idea that we just leave the whole "sin thing" alone. Not one of us has the ability to assess it accurately. Not one. And every time we try we're guaranteed to screw it up and pass wrong judgments on other people and ourselves. If I never hear another human being utter the word "sin" as long as I live it will still be too soon. Because every time I hear it, I know someone's full of s**t!

Well, what if we label words and deeds as "legal" or "Illegal".
Society has decided it is illegal to commit murder. Therefore punishment shall be meted.
God knows the heart of a man. But society has an obligation to protect the vulnerable and the innocent.

PureX

Well, what if we label words and deeds as "legal" or "Illegal".
Society has decided it is illegal to commit murder. Therefore punishment shall be meted.
God knows the heart of a man. But society has an obligation to protect the vulnerable and the innocent.
It's a mistake for society to get caught up in "punishment". Instead, it should focus on self-protection. A person breaks a rule that endangers others, he is removed from society until he can be trusted. Forget retribution and just deal with the antisocial threat of criminal behavior.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Should we hate Jeffrey Dahlmer for who he was or for what he did?
There, I fixed it for you.

Yes, but a sociopath like Dahlmer is as much the product of genetics and conditioning as he is of his own free will. So it's really impossible to say where his sin ends and the sins of those who abused him begin.
Any abuse to him was a sin, and like all sin it began in the heart [proverbially speaking as reference to the seat of emotions] and mind of those who abused him. As did Dahmer's sin. There is no excuse.

And what about "God's sin", in giving him a genetic code that disables his ability to empathize with the pain of others?
One is truly a fool if they believe God did such a thing. God is not the one who broke His creation.

This is the problem I have with the whole "sin thing". Mankind doesn't have the capacity necessary to ever really accurately assess responsibility. Yet God knows we LOVE to do it, anyway. And whenever we do, we're bound to be wrong. So I think the evidence is overwhelming of the idea that we just leave the whole "sin thing" alone. Not one of us has the ability to assess it accurately. Not one. And every time we try we're guaranteed to screw it up and pass wrong judgments on other people and ourselves. If I never hear another human being utter the word "sin" as long as I live it will still be too soon. Because every time I hear it, I know someone's full of s**t!
Would you like to make an actual solid argument, or are you just going to keep spewing your insipid tripe?

genuineoriginal

It's a mistake for society to get caught up in "punishment". Instead, it should focus on self-protection. A person breaks a rule that endangers others, he is removed from society until he can be trusted. Forget retribution and just deal with the antisocial threat of criminal behavior.
Homosexual acts are extremely harmful to individuals, families, and societies.
Our societies are so dysfunctional that they seem no more harmful than fornication and adultery, which are widely accepted as normal and natural behaviors.

ragTagblues

Our societies are so dysfunctional that they seem no more harmful than fornication and adultery, which are widely accepted as normal and natural behaviors.

Would you care to validate this point?

Lets face it, heterosexuals aren't exactly winning any prizes for acting in a way that leads to the betterment of society . . . . So lets get rid of them to.

Granite

Hall of Fame

Oh give us all a break, why don't you? I'm sick to death of hearing the same rhetoric, same lines, same lies, same nonsense solemnly trotted out by you guys as though it's accepted universal truth. You know what's really harmful to society? Bigotry. Subsidized ignorance.

Lon

toldailytopic: Does your opinion about homosexuality change if the behavior turns out to be genetic?
I realize this is hypothetical, but it cannot happen. No behavior is caused strictly by genetics.

We are simply 'sexual' beings. Homosexuality is an inability to relate appropriately with the opposite gender.

We would all certainly raise our brow at the 'pedaphile gene.'

I don't believe for a second we are 'born this way.'

"You are not gay..."
...you are ugly
...you are socially inept
...you are into 'disgusting'
...you had bad relations with an overbearing mother (father)
...you are emotionally/mentally unstable/confused
...you don't understand that love and sexuality are not the same thing

A similar list would go for adultery, philandering, and other problem behaviors. There is no reason to confuse these with genetics, they are behavioral choices.

Granite

Hall of Fame
I realize this is hypothetical, but it cannot happen. No behavior is caused strictly by genetics.

We are simply 'sexual' beings. Homosexuality is an inability to relate appropriately with the opposite gender.

We would all certainly raise our brow at the 'pedaphile gene.'

I don't believe for a second we are 'born this way.'

"You are not gay..."
...you are ugly
...you are socially inept
...you are into 'disgusting'
...you had bad relations with an overbearing mother (father)
...you are emotionally/mentally unstable/confused
...you don't understand that love and sexuality are not the same thing

A similar list would go for adultery, philandering, and other problem behaviors. There is no reason to confuse these with genetics, they are behavioral choices.

This is simple insulting boilerplate.

PureX

One is truly a fool if they believe God did such a thing. God is not the one who broke His creation.
Well, sociopaths are people who lack the ability to empathize with the pain of other living creatures. They usually begin torturing animals as children because they recognize that they feel nothing when they do so, while all the other children are shocked. So the sociopath becomes curious about his own lack of feeling. He tends to graduate to deliberately hurting other people because he finds that causing pain to others gives him a thrill, instead of repulsing him, as it does everyone else. In time he may become a serial killer because he got addicted to the ultimate thrill of killing another human being. But whos fault is it that such people are born without the ability to empathize? The sociopath didn't ask to be born that way. He didn't choose to be born that way. But he was born that way, and as a result, he was drawn to the suffering of others. Fascinated by it. And he was very susceptible to becoming addicted to it.
Would you like to make an actual solid argument, or are you just going to keep spewing your insipid tripe?
Can you read the hearts and minds of others? No? Then how do you justify your presumption to the right to condemn and punish them?

Lon

This is simple insulting boilerplate.
Simple, yes but not really intended to be insulting. There are many 'reasons' that I'm sure I'm not aware of, for the behavior, but my point being it is not "I was born this way." That's insulting.
It is a behavior and is chosen, for whatever reason.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Simple, yes but not really intended to be insulting. There are many 'reasons' that I'm sure I'm not aware of, for the behavior, but my point being it is not "I was born this way." That's insulting.
It is a behavior and is chosen, for whatever reason.

I see, so referring to someone as a maladjusted disgusting socially inept mama's boy is intended to make them feel better. Excuse me.