toldailytopic: What is the best country in the world?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krsto

As much as I love America............the people are WAY too uptight and the laws are very restrictive (in terms of personal freedom.....)

So I would say (in descending order) - Netherlands, Denmark, Switzerland, Italy and Hungary.

You should come to the West Coast. We're not so uptight over here.

Krsto

Luxembourg seems like a good place to live. One of the best economies on earth, progressive, rich in history and culture... the only draw back seems to be that the government plays an active part in religious institutions, but religion seems to be dying there in lockstep with the rest of Europe and I'm a fan of that :devil:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luxembourg#Culture

Yeah, that's what happens when the state supports the church so I'd imagine you'd be in favor of that. You should start a group called Atheists Against Separation of Church and State. It might kind of a fun diversion.

Ps82

So far - it's still the country where I'm a citizen... where I grew up ... where I have cherished memories of a wonderful childhood... where I feel safe most of the time ... and where I enjoy my family and friends... where the climate is kind... and necessities are plentiful ... where people, in the past, have been known to reform and evolve into better citizens... where our faith is still a big part of our lives.

Yet, I'm worried that with so many blessings we are becoming blind to the need to protect our faith and culture and curb our greed. May God have mercy and guide our people into truth and bless the USA once again.

allsmiles

Yeah, that's what happens when the state supports the church so I'd imagine you'd be in favor of that. You should start a group called Atheists Against Separation of Church and State. It might kind of a fun diversion.

If people want to believe in Jesus they'll believe in Jesus no matter what the state says. I don't see a bit of truth in the connection you're trying to make.

Krsto

If people want to believe in Jesus they'll believe in Jesus no matter what the state says. I don't see a bit of truth in the connection you're trying to make.

Let me explain: you said, "the government plays an active part in religious institutions, but religion seems to be dying there in lockstep with the rest of Europe." There is a causal relationship there. When the government plays an active part in religious institutions, particularly when they fund their state churches, those same churches tend to lose their vibrancy and dry up over time. Separation of church and state actually helps the church in that regard so I figured you'd not be a fan of that.

Granite

Hall of Fame
He can't and won't, I expect. The church's totalitarian attitude towards any kind of advancement beyond that of its own power pretty much speaks for itself.

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
Ever known or heard of a country that has government stats and reports showing, "This is a horrible place! Don't even think about coming here."? And then we have the UN stats and indexes rating various nations by UN standards, the UN being a haven for corrupt politicians who can't get elected to anything.

And then we have the follow-ons rating a country's happiness in direct proportion to said country's state of moral depravity. Interesting standard applied there, no? :chuckle: We have the "Free Stuff" standard, where countrys are ranked in order of public largess and profligacy. There are probably other standards.

Regardless of what some subset of mindless bureaucrats have to say about it, I would still pick the United States of America. The Freedom Index is quite high and will, perhaps, gain a few points in the near future. We'll see along about November 3, 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.