toldailytopic: What convinced you that the Bible is the word of God?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for December 23rd, 2010 11:30 AM

toldailytopic: What convinced you that the Bible is the word of God?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Last edited:

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
it is not the word of God

the Word was made flesh and dwelt amongst us

the bible was written by men
the books selected by men
translated by men
and
interpreted by men

we have to believe that some of them were inspired by God

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I remain unconvinced.

You are a moron, so that isn't suprising.

I always believed it, even before I read it. It is his words. The wonderful revelations about the universe that are inside are nice, but if the Bible was silent about it, I would still believe the rest.

Cracked

My understanding of the Bible:
The Bible is a theological book (66 books for Protestants) with a God ordained expression of Himself and His relationship with humanity, revealed throughout the ages in a way appropriate to the understanding of God's chosen agents within their historical and cultural contexts.

It is "God breathed" and "equips us for every good work."

However, translations are an issue. We also lack original documents. Thus, Scripture should always be approached with these things in mind.

My 2 cents.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
In the 60's and 70's I mocked and laughed at the Bible. I saw contradictions everywhere. I didn't see much that seemed relevant to me and my life, although
I would take parts of it, synthesis it with my pantheistic worldview, and use some of the scriptures to lend credibility, in the sight of others, to my worldview.
When Christians approached me, it was easy for me to reinterpret their words in my mind, and then respond in a way that, I felt, made me acceptable to them. I actually thought that they were unenlightened idiots, who had retreated from reality and found comfort in a mythology.

At age thirty, at a point when my worldview wouldn't carry the weight, I spoke towards a wall in my home at 1:00 or 2:00 in the morning: "Jesus, if you are there, if you are real, if you are who these believers said you are, if you are who you claim to be in the Bible, then please help me."

In a day or so, my wife ask me to read 1Cor:1-2, which I did. It gave me a little different way to consider that my understanding about Jesus and the cross, as well as the whole Christian faith might possibly be upsidedown and the real truth of it hidden from me. I began to consider that my judgement upon Christians as fools just might be backwards. Maybe I was the fool. I pondered these ideas and others for several days.
One Sunday morning, I suddenly got the urge to take my wife and two little boys to a local country church. No one knew me there, no one knew we were coming. There was a missionary preacher there that morning instead of the regular preacher. He preached 1Cor: 1-2. GOD spoke through this man to my heart. All I can do is testify of this. You'd have had to be me to get the full weight of what was going on. It was a subjective experience. I received Jesus Christ as my Lord and Saviour that morning. The burden of guilt was lifted off of me and I truly had a profound peace for the first time in my life.
For over thirty years the Lord and his scriptures have proven themselves to me again and again. Christianity is a relationship with the Creator that must be experienced. His written word is true. His Holy Spirit which dwells within me immediately began to adjust my understanding of the written word. The Bible is mostly a closed book without the Spirit. I have approached it from both directions. One must prove Christianity and the scriptures for themselves.

Last edited:

ghost

Hall of Fame
Though it may be a case of semantics, in a true sense the Bible is "The word of God". For me, it was the Holy Spirit that convinced me that the Bible is God's message to man.

“And for this reason we also constantly thank God that when you received from us the word of God's message, you accepted it not as the word of men, but for what it really is, the word of God, which also performs its work in you who believe.” 1 Th 2:13

“You search the Scriptures , because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is these that bear witness of Me; and you are unwilling to come to Me, that you may have life.” John 5:39-40

“And beginning with Moses and with all the prophets, He explained to them the things concerning Himself in all the Scriptures.” Luke 24:27

“Now He said to them, "These are My words which I spoke to you while I was still with you, that all things which are written about Me in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms must be fulfilled." Then He opened their minds to understand the Scriptures, and He said to them, "Thus it is written, that the Christ should suffer and rise again from the dead the third day; and that repentance for forgiveness of sins should be proclaimed in His name to all the nations, beginning from Jerusalem” Luke 24:44

“And when Philip had run up, he heard him reading Isaiah the prophet, and said, "Do you understand what you are reading?" And he said, "Well, how could I, unless someone guides me?" And he invited Philip to come up and sit with him. Now the passage of Scripture which he was reading was this: "He was led as a sheep to slaughter; And as a lamb before its shearer is silent, So He does not open His mouth. "In humiliation His judgment was taken away; Who shall relate His generation? For His life is removed from the earth." And the eunuch answered Philip and said, "Please tell me, of whom does the prophet say this? Of himself, or of someone else?" And Philip opened his mouth, and beginning from this Scripture he preached Jesus to him.” Acts 30-35

"And the brethren immediately sent Paul and Silas away by night to Berea; and when they arrived, they went into the synagogue of the Jews. Now these were more noble-minded than those in Thessalonica, for they received the word with great eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily, to see whether these things were so." Acts 17:11

"And when he (Apollos) wanted to go across to Achaia, the brethren encouraged him and wrote to the disciples to welcome him; and when he had arrived, he helped greatly those who had believed through grace; for he powerfully refuted the Jews in public, demonstrating by the Scriptures that Jesus was the Christ." Acts 18:27-28

"For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, and that He was buried, and that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures" 1 Corinthians 15:3-4

"For whatever was written, in earlier times, was written for our instruction, that through perseverance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope." Romans 15:4

“What was from the beginning, what we have heard, what we have seen with our eyes, what we beheld and our hands handled, concerning the Word of Life” 1 John 1:1

“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things came into being by Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being. In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.” John 1:1-5

“And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth. John bore witness of Him, and cried out, saying, "This was He of whom I said, 'He who comes after me has a higher rank than I, for He existed before me.'" For of His fulness we have all received, and grace upon grace. For the Law was given through Moses; grace and truth were realized through Jesus Christ.” John 1:14-17

“And He is clothed with a robe dipped in blood; and His name is called The Word of God.” Revelation 19:13

Romans 10:17 literally says…

So faith comes by hearing the message concerning Christ.

The message of God is revealed to us in the Scriptures, and the New Testament gives us an account of the Word made flesh and the message of the gospel, that is contained in the Scriptures.

The Scriptures are where Jesus, Paul and the others turned to confirm that Jesus was the fulfillment of all that the Scriptures spoke of concerning Christ. The New Testament is written to affirm, confirm, and convince us that the Scriptures point to Jesus as the Christ and the message concerning Christ. They are reliable witnesses and commentators. The Scriptures reveal to us that Jesus is the Word of God.

”This is what we speak, not in words taught us by human wisdom but in words taught by the Spirit, expressing spiritual truths in spiritual words.” 1 Corinthians 2:13

The truth of the Scriptures was revealed to the Apostles through the Holy Spirit and has guided them into all truth regarding the message concerning Christ. This is why the New Testament is reliable.

“We give thanks to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, praying always for you, since we heard of your faith in Christ Jesus and the love which you have for all the saints; because of the hope laid up for you in heaven, of which you previously heard in the word of truth, the gospel, which has come to you, just as in all the world also it is constantly bearing fruit and increasing, even as it has been doing in you also since the day you heard of it and understood the grace of God in truth” Colossians 1:3-6

“For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart.” Heb 4:12

There is a true delineation between the word of God, the scriptures, and the bible. They are often spoke of as the same thing, and they are not, even though they work together to bring us God's message concerning Christ.

The Word should be exalted!
The Scriptures revered!
The Bible used!

When we read the New Testament, they proclaim the Scriptures and the Word is exalted!

“You, however, continue in the things you have learned and become convinced of, knowing from whom you have learned them; and that from childhood you have known the sacred writings which are able to give you the wisdom that leads to salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.” 2 Tim 3:14-17

Cracked

Though it may be a case of semantics, in a true sense the Bible is "The word of God". For me, it was the Holy Spirit that convinced me that the Bible is God's message to man.

“And for this reason we also constantly thank God that when you received from us the word of God's message, you accepted it not as the word of men, but for what it really is, the word of God, which also performs its work in you who believe.” 1 Th 2:13

“You search the Scriptures , because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is these that bear witness of Me; and you are unwilling to come to Me, that you may have life.” John 5:39-40

“And beginning with Moses and with all the prophets, He explained to them the things concerning Himself in all the Scriptures.” Luke 24:27

“Now He said to them, "These are My words which I spoke to you while I was still with you, that all things which are written about Me in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms must be fulfilled." Then He opened their minds to understand the Scriptures, and He said to them, "Thus it is written, that the Christ should suffer and rise again from the dead the third day; and that repentance for forgiveness of sins should be proclaimed in His name to all the nations, beginning from Jerusalem” Luke 24:44

“And when Philip had run up, he heard him reading Isaiah the prophet, and said, "Do you understand what you are reading?" And he said, "Well, how could I, unless someone guides me?" And he invited Philip to come up and sit with him. Now the passage of Scripture which he was reading was this: "He was led as a sheep to slaughter; And as a lamb before its shearer is silent, So He does not open His mouth. "In humiliation His judgment was taken away; Who shall relate His generation? For His life is removed from the earth." And the eunuch answered Philip and said, "Please tell me, of whom does the prophet say this? Of himself, or of someone else?" And Philip opened his mouth, and beginning from this Scripture he preached Jesus to him.” Acts 30-35

"And the brethren immediately sent Paul and Silas away by night to Berea; and when they arrived, they went into the synagogue of the Jews. Now these were more noble-minded than those in Thessalonica, for they received the word with great eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily, to see whether these things were so." Acts 17:11

"And when he (Apollos) wanted to go across to Achaia, the brethren encouraged him and wrote to the disciples to welcome him; and when he had arrived, he helped greatly those who had believed through grace; for he powerfully refuted the Jews in public, demonstrating by the Scriptures that Jesus was the Christ." Acts 18:27-28

"For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, and that He was buried, and that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures" 1 Corinthians 15:3-4

"For whatever was written, in earlier times, was written for our instruction, that through perseverance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope." Romans 15:4

“What was from the beginning, what we have heard, what we have seen with our eyes, what we beheld and our hands handled, concerning the Word of Life” 1 John 1:1

“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things came into being by Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being. In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.” John 1:1-5

“And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth. John bore witness of Him, and cried out, saying, "This was He of whom I said, 'He who comes after me has a higher rank than I, for He existed before me.'" For of His fulness we have all received, and grace upon grace. For the Law was given through Moses; grace and truth were realized through Jesus Christ.” John 1:14-17

“And He is clothed with a robe dipped in blood; and His name is called The Word of God.” Revelation 19:13

Romans 10:17 literally says…

So faith comes by hearing the message concerning Christ.

The message of God is revealed to us in the Scriptures, and the New Testament gives us an account of the Word made flesh and the message of the gospel, that is contained in the Scriptures.

The Scriptures are where Jesus, Paul and the others turned to confirm that Jesus was the fulfillment of all that the Scriptures spoke of concerning Christ. The New Testament is written to affirm, confirm, and convince us that the Scriptures point to Jesus as the Christ and the message concerning Christ. They are reliable witnesses and commentators. The Scriptures reveal to us that Jesus is the Word of God.

”This is what we speak, not in words taught us by human wisdom but in words taught by the Spirit, expressing spiritual truths in spiritual words.” 1 Corinthians 2:13

The truth of the Scriptures was revealed to the Apostles through the Holy Spirit and has guided them into all truth regarding the message concerning Christ. This is why the New Testament is reliable.

“We give thanks to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, praying always for you, since we heard of your faith in Christ Jesus and the love which you have for all the saints; because of the hope laid up for you in heaven, of which you previously heard in the word of truth, the gospel, which has come to you, just as in all the world also it is constantly bearing fruit and increasing, even as it has been doing in you also since the day you heard of it and understood the grace of God in truth” Colossians 1:3-6

“For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart.” Heb 4:12

There is a true delineation between the word of God, the scriptures, and the bible. They are often spoke of as the same thing, and they are not, even though they work together to bring us God's message concerning Christ.

The Word should be exalted!
The Scriptures revered!
The Bible used!

When we read the New Testament, they proclaim the Scriptures and the Word is exalted!

“You, however, continue in the things you have learned and become convinced of, knowing from whom you have learned them; and that from childhood you have known the sacred writings which are able to give you the wisdom that leads to salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.” 2 Tim 3:14-17

It seems like Scriptures = OT, and God's word(s)/message = Paul's message. Both testify of Jesus. Which is fabulous.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
It seems like Scriptures = OT, and God's word(s)/message = Paul's message. Both testify of Jesus. Which is fabulous.

2Pe 3:15 And count the patience of our Lord as salvation, just as our beloved brother Paul also wrote to you according to the wisdom given him,
2Pe 3:16 as he does in all his letters when he speaks in them of these matters. There are some things in them that are hard to understand, which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction, as they do the other Scriptures.

Peter equates Paul's writings as authoritative with 'the other Scriptures/graphe'.

Paul quotes Luke 10:7 as scripture:
1Ti 5:18 For the Scripture says, "You shall not muzzle an ox when it treads out the grain," and, "The laborer deserves his wages."
:wave:

ghost

Hall of Fame
2Pe 3:15 And count the patience of our Lord as salvation, just as our beloved brother Paul also wrote to you according to the wisdom given him,
2Pe 3:16 as he does in all his letters when he speaks in them of these matters. There are some things in them that are hard to understand, which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction, as they do the other Scriptures.

Peter equates Paul's writings as authoritative with 'the other Scriptures/graphe'.
No, he doesn't. He just says that they twist both.

Paul quotes Luke 10:7 as scripture:
1Ti 5:18 For the Scripture says, "You shall not muzzle an ox when it treads out the grain," and, "The laborer deserves his wages."
:wave:
Deut 25:4

horiturk

You are a moron, so that isn't suprising.

I always believed it, even before I read it. It is his words. The wonderful revelations about the universe that are inside are nice, but if the Bible was silent about it, I would still believe the rest.

Wow. Nydhogg is a pretty nice guy...he didn't berate you or the bible,he merely said he is unconvinced. so i guess the billions who are unconvinced are morons as well? we can't all abandon reason and logic...:juggle:

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
No, he doesn't. He just says that they twist both.

Deut 25:4

2Pe 3:16 as he does in all his letters.......................................................... , as they do the other/rest of/leipo Scriptures.

2Co 12:13 For in what were you less favored than the rest/other of the churches, except that I myself did not burden you? Forgive me this wrong!

leípō (G3007), to leave, lack. Something remaining, in the pl., the remaining ones (Mat_25:11; Act_2:37; Rom_1:13; 2Co_12:13; 2Pe_3:16).

As the early church grew, it began to regard the writings/graphe/scripture of the Apostles to be just as authoritative as the OT scriptures. That's why we now have and have had both in one unit. I believe they are just as inspired and authoritative as the OT Scriptures.

2Ti 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

Our disagreement may be a just matter of semantics.

:idunno:

----------------------------------------
Deu 25:4 Thou shalt not muzzle the ox when he treadeth out the corn.

corresponds to 1Tim 5:18(a)

1Ti 5:18 For the scripture saith, Thou shalt not muzzle the ox that treadeth out the corn. And, The labourer is worthy of his reward.

but

Luk 10:7 And in the same house remain, eating and drinking such things as they give: for the labourer is worthy of his hire. Go not from house to house.

corresponds to 1Tim 5:18(b)

Ps82

After God gave me a miracle of four dreams that came true ... and, therefore, I understood that God was real, alive, and knows what is going on in my life ... then I began to read the Bible with understanding. That's when I knew that the living true God gives people, who believe, the understanding of His inspired written WORD. It was a miracle when men wrote it, and it's a miracle when people truly understand it!

Ps82

Wow.
I mean, just, Wow.

Hi fool. What made you believe that the Bible - aka - the written WORD of God was real?

After all, that's the topic of this thread.

You are actually off the topic when you come here to simply mock those who say they believe.

fool

Hall of Fame
Hi fool. What made you believe that the Bible - aka - the written WORD of God was real?

After all, that's the topic of this thread.

You are actually off the topic when you come here to simply mock those who say they believe.

Who's mocking?
I'm astonished.

Status
Not open for further replies.