Y are Black families so fragmented?

republicanchick

You were probably an innocent little kid in the 60s. It's not until we get older that we pay attention to world events and develop a political culture.

Look up the history of H.Rap Brown or Stokely Carmichael. Learn about the Black Panther group.

you have not answered my post

so unsurprised

___

The Berean

Why? It is all fallout from the legacy of slavery.

Common sense--but probably not persuasive for those who still do not take racism seriously.

This is patently false. Until the late 1950's the out of wedlock black birth rate was under 20%.

b2465_chart10.ashx

If the legacy of slavery is a root cause of out of wedlock babies then logically the percentage should have been higher the closer we get to 1865. But the reverse is true. Slavery and Jim Crow laws had the affect of bringing black people together out of sheer survival and necessity. This placed a great importance and value on the black family. Black people were not allowed to be part of the greater American culture/society so they created their own. They created their own universities, their own towns, their own businesses, their own sports leagues. There were men like Frederick Douglass, W. E. B. Du Bois, Booker T. Washington, Paul Robeson, Jackie Robinson, any many more black people of prominence pushing for equal rights.

On a side note I'm currently reading Frederick Douglass' autobiography, The Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass. Here is a black man who was born a slave yet through determination, intelligence, and great courage fought for his freedom and for the freedom of others. He taught himself how to read as a slave (it was illegal for whites to teach slaves to read). Douglass' Christian testimony is powerful and inspiring.

Last edited:

republicanchick

as born a slave yet through determination, intelligence, and great courage fought for his freedom and for the freedom of others. He taught himself how to read as a slave (it was illegal for whites to teach slaves to read). Douglass' Christian testimony is powerful and inspiring.

I read that... very interesting book.

He married a White woman... he was way ahead of his time..

___

Sitamun

I wonder if RC has finally put me on ignore? I mean she wouldn't possibly choose to not comment on my answer.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned

so unsurprised

___

If you choose to be accountable for your post, you may remember that you said African Americans "were not so 'fragmented' in the 60s."

I merely pointed out that the 60s were a time of political and social upheaval in the black culture as well as our white culture.

So, simply put, why was my reply not an "answer" to your comments?

bybee

I wonder why it is that the rate of illegitimate children among Blacks is so much higher than any other group in the US, and why it is that their families are so broken.

I realize they have their issues, think about race more often than other groups, presumably... but you'd think that that kind of thing would strengthen their ties with family, not weaken them... You know... the song comes to mind RE how Black families should stick together better

"You and me against the world... sometimes it seems like you and me against the world.. When all the others turn their backs and walk away, you can count on me to stay..."

just don't get this...

___

After the Civil War it was very difficult for black men to get jobs but black women were very desirable as nanny's, cooks, housekeepers and maids. A man who must live off of his wife's wages suffers in his identity. And history shows that a black man that forgot his "place" just might get tarred and feathered or lynched. So, being forced to keep a low profile just built smoldering resentments.
I believe much of the black hatred of whites is a result of that long memory.

Morpheus

Remember to throw in the fragmentation caused by gentrification and also prison-for profit that removes a growing percentage of Black males from the available pool. Pawns do not sacrifice themselves for the king's welfare; they're manipulated by others.

Last edited:

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
This is patently false. Until the late 1950's the out of wedlock black birth rate was under 20%.

b2465_chart10.ashx

If the legacy of slavery is a root cause of out of wedlock babies then logically the percentage should have been higher the closer we get to 1865. But the reverse is true. Slavery and Jim Crow laws had the affect of bringing black people together out of sheer survival and necessity. This placed a great importance and value on the black family. Black people were not allowed to be part of the greater American culture/society so they created their own. They created their own universities, their own towns, their own businesses, their own sports leagues. There were men like Frederick Douglass, W. E. B. Du Bois, Booker T. Washington, Paul Robeson, Jackie Robinson, any many more black people of prominence pushing for equal rights.

On a side note I'm currently reading Frederick Douglass' autobiography, The Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass. Here is a black man who was born a slave yet through determination, intelligence, and great courage fought for his freedom and for the freedom of others. He taught himself how to read as a slave (it was illegal for whites to teach slaves to read). Douglass' Christian testimony is powerful and inspiring.

Your collection of the historical facts is needed and should be paid attention to. But the problem, as I see it, is the great beginnings toward equality for African Americans suffered grave set backs almost immediately.

I cannot say for sure in the case of your data, but today I have found it not too uncommon to assuage white guilt by interpreting honest evidence in ways that help take us whites from accepting accountability for society's racism.

The destitution and poverty-saturated lifestyle became the norm for blacks because the white attitude quickly became a matter of "benign neglect" as a well-known senator said at the time.

The blacks have been struggling under that onus for generations now. Their difficulty with law enforcement is just one of the effects of marginalizing them to the outside of white culture.

republicanchick

After the Civil War it was very difficult for black men to get jobs but black women were very desirable as nanny's, cooks, housekeepers and maids. A man who must live off of his wife's wages suffers in his identity. And history shows that a black man that forgot his "place" just might get tarred and feathered or lynched. So, being forced to keep a low profile just built smoldering resentments.
I believe much of the black hatred of whites is a result of that long memory.

I never really thought of that b4... how the black women were more desirable, could get jobs better (w/ Whitey)

But still, a lot of Blacks seem to not want to let go of their resentment/bitterness

I really admire the ones who have.. Kevin Jackson comes to mind..

David Webb... they don't seem to hate anyone, Black or White... or whatever

____

aikido7

BANNED
Banned

so unsurprised

___

You question me but are adamant about not reading my answers.

You posted:

b/c Blacks were not so 'fragmented" in the 60s
which obviously was a time closer to slavery times

I said African Americans were indeed "fragmented" during the 60s and invited you to pursue the facts, evidence and history that showed this.

Why is that response somehow not answering your point?

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
I remember hearing a radio discussion some number of years ago. It might have been a Rush Limbaugh show. In any case, the point was made that the welfare act had a provision in it that lowered the amount of welfare if the father was present. After that act was implemented was when the break down of low income families started.

republicanchick

I remember hearing a radio discussion some number of years ago. It might have been a Rush Limbaugh show. In any case, the point was made that the welfare act had a provision in it that lowered the amount of welfare if the father was present. After that act was implemented was when the break down of low income families started.

b/c the state doesn't like intact familes.. they want dependence so they can control

___

republicanchick

You question me but are adamant about not reading my answers.

You posted:

I said African Americans were indeed "fragmented" during the 60s and invited you to pursue the facts, evidence and history that showed this.

Why is that response somehow not answering your point?

um... i have moved on... don't get this..

__

aikido7

BANNED
Banned

um... i have moved on... don't get this..

__
I guess this is your way of telling me you do not really want to address my questions to you. I see you doing this way too often.

You seem to throw out some theory and then quickly dismiss any real questions, interest or curiosity from others.

And you usually seem to do it in terms that a young child might use.

I wish you were more able to step up to the plate, be accountable for your comments and were able to confront the replies to your posts in a measured and adult way. There are many, many other different ways to respond to others besides insults and denial.