Would you go to a doctor who doesn't believe in evolution?

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Since many here are of the opinion that anyone who doesn't believe in evolution must be an idiot, it would be interesting if people here would tell us whether they would stop going to a doctor if it was revealed that they didn't believe in evolution or that they were skeptical that it was true.

In others words, how strongly do people hold to the idea that the theory of evolution is important in the study and practice of medicine?

icilian fenner

It may be important to advances in the field of drug development/how to handle epidemics, but on general practice I fail to see how it would matter.

Johnny

Edit: Perhaps. Not to say he couldn't be a good physician. But obviously it's my opinion that if you're not an evolutionist and you've seriously studied the topic in a scientific capacity, you have deficits you need to overcome.

Mr. 5020

icilian fenner said:
It may be important to advances in the field of drug development/how to handle epidemics, but on general practice I fail to see how it would matter.
Interesting. Two days ago I was watching a creation vs. evolution debate where this issue was brought up. The creationist was arguing that the practice of medicine has no use for evolution. The evolutionist made a challenge that he could get a list of twenty practicing MD's that use evolutionary principles every day in their practice.

I wonder if that list was ever made. The debate was in 1994. :think:

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
icilian fenner said:

In what way do you think it would be important to advances in the field of drug development/how to handle epidemics?

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Mr. 5020 said:
Interesting. Two days ago I was watching a creation vs. evolution debate where this issue was brought up. The creationist was arguing that the practice of medicine has no use for evolution. The evolutionist made a challenge that he could get a list of twenty practicing MD's that use evolutionary principles every day in their practice.
I wonder if that list was ever made. The debate was in 1994. :think:

It would also be fascinating to hear what those "evolutionary principles" were.

Johnny

bob b said:
In what way do you think it would be important to advances in the field of drug development/how to handle epidemics?
Here comes the:

"Evolution of resistance strategies"
"But that's not true evolution, it's the loss of information"

Evoken

Johnny said:
Here comes the:

"Evolution of resistance strategies"
"But that's not true evolution, it's the loss of information"

You seem to have bob b figured out already :)

Evo

icilian fenner

bob b said:
I imagine that if evolution were true, and there were mutations in viruses, then it may be of some use to acknowledge this in creating vaccines and planning countermeasures.

I don't know how, this is merely speculation. This is what I meant when I said 'may'.

Gerald

Resident Fiend
bob b said:
Since many here are of the opinion that anyone who doesn't believe in evolution must be an idiot, it would be interesting if people here would tell us whether they would stop going to a doctor if it was revealed that they didn't believe in evolution or that they were skeptical that it was true.

In others words, how strongly do people hold to the idea that the theory of evolution is important in the study and practice of medicine?
Replace "evolution" with "germ theory" and then you'll get a real discussion going.

You are no doubt aware that a vocal minority consider Pasteur to have been as full of bilge as Freud...

jeremiah

BANNED
Banned
bob b said:

It would have to depend upon whether I was still a fertile male or female, and whether I, overall, had undesirable traits! If so, I then should "force" myself to go to a doctor who is a idiot. It would be the evolutionary thing to do!
;)

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
icilian fenner said:
I imagine that if evolution were true, and there were mutations in viruses, then it may be of some use to acknowledge this in creating vaccines and planning countermeasures.
I don't know how, this is merely speculation. This is what I meant when I said 'may'.

Viruses do in fact mutate as do bacteria. But when I use the term "evolution" you must understand that there are two distinct meanings of the word. One, that organisms do in fact change over time, and second, that this process is essentially without limit so that "common descent" of all life from a single hypothetical primitive protocell must also be true.

Most creationists I know accept that the first "version" or meaning of the word evolution is true, but the second is not.

So when I say that the doctor in question does not believe in evolution I mean that he/she/it does not believe in common descent.

Perhaps I should have used the term "common descent" instead of evolution to avoid the obvious confusion that arises when people use the word "evolution" without qualifying it.

icilian fenner

Well past 'evolution with a small e', I have no idea in what possible way it would affect their efficacy. So no, good sir, I frankly don't give a damn. :D

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Johnny said:
Edit: Perhaps. Not to say he couldn't be a good physician. But obviously it's my opinion that if you're not an evolutionist and you've seriously studied the topic in a scientific capacity, you have deficits you need to overcome.

In more blunt language, the doctor is obviously "intellectually challenged', as a liberal might say.

And therein lies the essence of the debate.

Is it diagnostic that a person is an idiot for not believing in common descent of all life from a hypothetical primitive protocell, even if that same person has excelled at the highest levels in all academic courses and intellectual careers they ever were active in?

mitchellmckain

bob b said:

Now that you mention it.... That may indeed give me cause to hesitate.

On the other hand, I don't really think that highly of doctors to tell the truth - that is - no where nearly as highly as they think of themselves. In fact, too much trust in themselves is one of my biggest beefs with doctors so I might be tempted to think that it may be more important for the doctor to be a theist than to believe in evolution. Maybe some admission of a higher power would at least be an improvement.

On the other hand, I have see a great number of theists here in this forum who exemplify the kind of arrogant doctor I despise, more than the atheists I have met here. It makes me wonder. Perhaps the majority of theists here place more confidence in themselves and their own ideas than they do in god. Of course I suppose they could all just be trained that way (doctors and Christians alike) - to project an aura of confidence even when they don't know what they are doing really.

zoo22

bob b said:

Sorry for nitpicking, but you mean believing in evolution in terms of life genesis, correct?

ApologeticJedi

icilian fenner said:

We've been doing vaccines for quite some time now. Wouldn't we know by now?

As a mathematician, my objection has always been the fact is the earth is not old enough for evolution to have occurred.

As I understand it, the simplest organisms have just over 3000 nucleotide pairs. Human beings have over 3 billion nucleotide pairs. The earth is only 7 billion years old. I didn't need a math degree to see that we are talking about gigantic leaps in mutations. Maybe these can be partly explained with concepts like DNA folding, but if we can expect mutations spanning species were really happening that fast, we wouldn’t need to look to fossils to try to find some proxy evidence of evolution, it would be happening before our very electron microscopes.

Regardless of whether you think evolution could happen; seven billion years is not enough time for it to have happened here. We would vastly need to rethink the age of the earth.

Woodbine

I don't see the problem if a doctor doesn't believe in evolution. A doctor is more of a "body mechanic" than anything else (which isn't supposed to sound demeaning btw). The only trouble that may arise is in the prescription of antibiotics. Antibiotics need to be very carefully dosed and monitored due to bacteria developing resistance bloody quickly; treatments often become useless in a dangerously short space of time. If a doctor decides to ignore the strict treatment guidelines because he does not believe in evolution then that could be disastrous. That said I doubt any medical practitioner worth his salt is going to play fast and loose with something like that.

mitchellmckain

Woodbine said:
I don't see the problem if a doctor doesn't believe in evolution. A doctor is more of a "body mechanic" than anything else (which isn't supposed to sound demeaning btw). The only trouble that may arise is in the prescription of antibiotics. Antibiotics need to be very carefully dosed and monitored due to bacteria developing resistance bloody quickly; treatments often become useless in a dangerously short space of time. If a doctor decides to ignore the strict treatment guidelines because he does not believe in evolution then that could be disastrous. That said I doubt any medical practitioner worth his salt is going to play fast and loose with something like that.

But if a doctor says "I don't believe in evolution", isn't he a little confused about the difference between science and religion? I mean if the doctor is so confused about the difference between science and rhetoric that he thinks that Creationism is a valid scientific theory, I think that might be a little scary. I mean I believe in the powers of prayer and all, but that is not what I would be paying a doctor for. Aren't you afraid that such a doctor might think that "Its God's will" is a sufficient and meaningful explanation of your symptoms, no matter how useless such an explanation might be? After all this is precisely why the Theory of Evolution is a scientific theory and ID is not, because "Goddidit" is just plain useless. I mean I would say quite sincerely, "thank you God and may your will be done", but I don't need the help of any doctor to do that.

Last edited:

DoogieTalons

BANNED
Banned
bob b said:

If he's earned his doctorate in what ever he wants to treat me for from a bonafide place of learning, not liberty U or some crazy creationist online self back patting doctorate provider, I'd let him help me, I'd still think he's an idiot with his theology. My doctor still takes ciggarette breaks after all he knows about the health risks... He may be a clever man but he sure is stupid in that respect.