Woman murdered by ex while waiting for gun permit

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Woman Feared Her Ex, So She Applied for a Gun Permit. She Was Murdered While Waiting for NJ to Allow Her to Have One.

Carol Bowne no longer felt safe.

The 39-year-old hairdresser from Berlin Township, New Jersey, was afraid that her ex-boyfriend might try to hurt her. Fearing possible domestic violence, she reportedly filed a restraining order against her ex, installed security cameras and tried to get a gun for self-defense.

But New Jersey’s gun law are notoriously draconian, and the process to merely obtain a handgun permit takes months.

Bowne was found by law enforcement stabbed to death in her driveway on Wednesday night. Her ex-boyfriend, identified as Michael Eitel, 45, has since been arrested and charged with murder. He is a convicted felon with a long rap sheet, according to the Courier-Post:

Court records show Eitel pleaded guilty to a weapons offense in 2008 after being indicted in 2006 on a charge of aggravated assault with bodily injury. He received a five-year sentence for that offense, which neighbors said was related to an assault on a former girlfriend.

Some of Bowne’s friends are now saying that the system failed the woman.

Berlin Township Police Chief Leonard Check confirmed to the Courier-Post that Bowne applied for a handgun license on April 21. She followed up on her application on Monday, he said.

She was murdered on Wednesday.

Check said the handgun license process takes about two months or longer. The process apparently didn’t move any faster even after the woman’s car windows were reportedly shattered right after she filed a restraining order against Eitel.

“She did absolutely everything she was supposed to,” Denise Lovallo, one of Bowne’s work colleagues, said.

Read the full report here.

Wow, so much for her 2nd amendment rights - i think her family should sue the state for violating her rights and wrongful death.

So gun control advocates, do you think her having a gun in this case, might have saved her life?

brinny

Woman Feared Her Ex, So She Applied for a Gun Permit. She Was Murdered While Waiting for NJ to Allow Her to Have One.

Wow, so much for her 2nd amendment rights - i think her family should sue the state for violating her rights and wrongful death.

So gun control advocates, do you think her having a gun in this case, might have saved her life?

I agree. Her family should sue. And a gun would have saved her life, yes.

The bottom line is this perpetrator should have never been on the street from the gitgo. Again, the system failed her.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I wonder what the security camera footage recorded?

The entire thing, its part of court records. He tried to force her back into her car when she got out and then kept attacking her with a knife.

See folks, you can kill someone without a gun, if youre stronger and more powerful and you have the intent to kill them- imagine that.

fzappa13

Court records show Eitel pleaded guilty to a weapons offense in 2008 after being indicted in 2006 on a charge of aggravated assault with bodily injury. He received a five-year sentence for that offense, which neighbors said was related to an assault on a former girlfriend.

mmmmm ... note to self ... don't date felons convicted of assaulting their significant others. I've long held there should be a law against stupidity ... the idea never caught on. I wonder why?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Your evidence against please ...

Wow, how desperate. You made the claim, you back it up.

and is it okay to start conjugal relations with folks you don't know? Do we have any responsibility in that regard?

pancake-bunny-300x249.gif

whats the price of rice in china today?

fzappa13

Put it in your own words. Whether you support gun control or not, is a yes or no answer.

Oh, is that the purpose of your thread? I'm sorry. I just read the O.P. and saw what looked to me to be the end result of two lost souls working out their chosen differences. This is about gun control. I'm all for that. One of the scariest feelings I had was in boot camp when I took my small arms ordinance test in the Navy and saw all the bullet holes in the roof of my cubicle. That was like the second time in my life I had fired a gun. The instructor asked me if I had fired a gun before and I told him only once. He told me he was tempted to let me have another go because I would likely have earned my marksman ribbon. Evidently not all are so blessed.

I'm all for gun control but how do you insure it? I mean, I watched a Sheriff's Deputy take three shots to take down a dying dog at point blank range.

Control your gun!

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Oh, is that the purpose of your thread? I'm sorry. I just read the O.P. and saw what looked to me to be the end result of two lost souls working out their chosen differences. This is about gun control. I'm all for that. One of the scariest feelings I had was in boot camp when I took my small arms ordinance test in the Navy and saw all the bullet holes in the roof of my cubicle. That was like the second time in my life I had fired a gun. The instructor asked me if I had fired a gun before and I told him only once. He told me he was tempted to let me have another go because I would likely have earned my marksman ribbon. Evidently not all are so blessed.

I'm all for gun control but how do you insure it? I mean, I watched a Sheriff's Deputy take three shots to take down a dying dog at point blank range.

Control your gun!

Which still doesnt really answer my question... do you believe that all americans have the right to bear arms? Maybe asking this way will help.