Woman finds out during church sermon her husband is newly married

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I also think you Americans are a bit hung up on law. Does everything have to be either legal or illegal?
Name something that isn't. :plain:

Can't some things just be moral or immoral?
It isn't an either/or. Many things that are legal are of questionable morality, depending on who you ask. Ask a Mormon about alcohol or me about tobacco, or the Amish about half the things our compact allows. Our solution was to make those moral matters that didn't attack the rights of the next fellow his own business.

It's like you feel that people should be punished for what they do wrong, just so long as it's the state doing the punishing and the individual can thus wash his or her hands.
Not how I see it, but someone is likely to feel that way. It's a broad tent.

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Name something that isn't. :plain:

I wasn't talking about things but about people. But you knew that anyway, didn't you? Or perhaps you are so much a part of this, that even though you are one of the most learned people on the forum, you still need someone on the other side of the Atlantic to point out to you what your own characteristics are.

It isn't an either/or. Many things that are legal are of questionable morality, depending on who you ask.
Which is exactly why it is not such a good idea to have so many laws. Too many people feel isolated by so many laws. I mean, perverts are already going to hell, so at least give them a break here on earth and decriminalise them. And the same for bigamists.

And then, maybe, just maybe, as Christians you will be able to preach the Gospel again, which will include you telling people that their perversions are wrong, instead of merely lobbying for such actions to be made illegal, which only makes you seem antagonistic towards them instead of loving. As I said, if they don't repent, they are going to the judgement anyway, so why make them enemies now?

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER
Biblical? In the Bible men owned the women and many men owned quite a few. I'm not sure when bigamy became illegal but it was certainly only recently and primarily in European and derivative civilizations.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I wasn't talking about things but about people.
I read you literally, about law and whether it should or must cover everything and that was the nature of my response.

Which is exactly why it is not such a good idea to have so many laws.
Which ones shouldn't we have?

Too many people feel isolated by so many laws.
How so? What law makes a person isolated? I'm not being coy, I just don't see the intersection. I might agree, but I don't see it at this point.

I mean, perverts are already going to hell, so at least give them a break here on earth and decriminalise them.
That's not the law's approach though, which is why I noted what was the law's approach and how subjective and problematic it can be to order law by the moral reckoning of even the best intentioned among us.

And then, maybe, just maybe, as Christians you will be able to preach the Gospel again, which will include you telling people that their perversions are wrong, instead of merely lobbying for such actions to be made illegal, which only makes you seem antagonistic towards them instead of loving.
We're free here to speak our mind on the subject, though as I understand it that's not entirely the case across the pond. And I doubt anyone who believes a thing is immoral is actively lobbying for it, reasonably. I suppose it might depend on what you see as lobbying. I mean, I've been told that recognizing the legal necessity of gay marriage is promoting it, so you never know with people.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
In the case of open bigamy, it seems to me from scripture that its a sin but not a crime.

Being immoral is not necessarily crime.

Jesus standards and the world's standards are vastly different.

Jesus' followers have no right to push their standards to the world.

Jesus says His follower are not of the world, no more than He is not.

musterion

I also think you Americans are a bit hung up on law. Does everything have to be either legal or illegal? Can't some things just be moral or immoral?

It's because of leftists. Their moral relativity has taken root. Independent morality cannot be allowed to exist. The state, by virtue of laws, must determine right and wrong for all. That way whoever controls the state is essentially God.

That's why people like this guy will most likely be punished, rightly so, but sodomites will not, as Nick pointed out.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The first wife should be put in jail for trying to impose her beliefs about marriage on others

No... Marriage between 2 people only is an outdated concept. The word 'marriage' needs to be re-defined.
hehe!

Christian Liberty

You certainly don't seem too sure about polygamy...;)

I'm open to being convinced that it sould be a crime, I just don't see any real basis right now. Although, what happened here is more like adultery than just polygamy.

Being immoral is not necessarily crime.

Jesus standards and the world's standards are vastly different.

Jesus' followers have no right to push their standards to the world.

Jesus says His follower are not of the world, no more than He is not.

Blah. Matthew 28:18-20