Why Trust Paul?

chair

Modern Christianity is largely based on the teachings of Paul. The question is: Why do you accept Paul as an authority?

If it is because of verses in the New Testament (which is the answer many will think of), then there is a small problem, as much of the New Testament consists of letters written by...Paul himself.

I assume that there is something more here that I am missing. So please explain.

Chair

beameup

Therefore, beloved, since you look for these things, be diligent to be found by Him in peace, spotless and blameless, and regard the patience of our Lord as salvation; just as also our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given him, wrote to you, as also in all his letters, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which the untaught and unstable distort, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures, to their own destruction. -- 2 Peter 3:14-16

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Where does Simon ben Jonah say that?

2 Peter 3

15 and consider that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation—as also our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given to him, has written to you,

I realize you don't accept that the man in history known as Jesus of Nazareth is the messiah. So this is what else is in his letter to other devout followers of him. The wisdom was given to Paul, not the others. And as such it was confusing to them. Yes, he (Paul) told gentiles not to get circumcised and not to keep the law.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Beameup:

So we should trust Paul because Peter said so?

Peter corroborated the testimony. That is the point. As I said, Paul has reasoned from the scriptures, that means the Hebrew scriptures which we believe while written by men, are inspired by God. Not the "New Testament", but the "Old Testament".

Elia

Why wouldn't I, a Gentile, accept what Paul, the apostle of the Gentiles, (Romans 11:13 KJV) say?

Bs"d

Maybe because he went straight against the teachings of your "messiah"?

"O Y-H-W-H, my strength and my fortress, my refuge in the day of affliction, the Gentiles shall come to You from the ends of the earth and say, 'Surely our fathers have inherited lies, worthlessness and unprofitable things.' Will a man make gods for himself, which are not gods?"
Jeremiah 16:19

heir

TOL Subscriber
Bs"d

"O Y-H-W-H, my strength and my fortress, my refuge in the day of affliction, the Gentiles shall come to You from the ends of the earth and say, 'Surely our fathers have inherited lies, worthlessness and unprofitable things.' Will a man make gods for himself, which are not gods?"
Get saved and we can talk scripture! 1 Corinthians 2:13-14 KJV

heir

TOL Subscriber
Bs"d

Gentiles in the dispensation of the grace of God are partakers of Christ by the gospel (Ephesians 3:6 KJV). Have you trusted the Lord believing it (1 Corinthians 15:1-4 KJV)?

Elia

Gentiles in the dispensation of the grace of God are partakers of Christ by the gospel (Ephesians 3:6 KJV). Have you trusted the Lord believing it (1 Corinthians 15:1-4 KJV)?

Bs"d

Have you used your brain to investigate if these stories are true?

Danoh

Bs"d

The inherited lies that passage is referring to is this...

Genesis 11:6 And the LORD said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do.

Which is what this is talking about - and why...God gave them up...

Romans 1:21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened. 1:22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools, 1:23 And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things. 1:24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves: 1:25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen. 1:26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: 1:27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet. 1:28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient; 1:29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers, 1:30 Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, 1:31 Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful: 1:32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

chair

Peter corroborated the testimony. That is the point. As I said, Paul has reasoned from the scriptures, that means the Hebrew scriptures which we believe while written by men, are inspired by God. Not the "New Testament", but the "Old Testament".

You do realize that all of your claims are based on faith that the New Testament is true. That can work for you- but don't expect to convince others with verses from your holy book.