Why Theonomy?

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Gerald said:
It appears we're shooting at different targets: you're concerned about love, while I'm concerned about obedience, which doesn't require love.
Christianity isn't about the obedience of slaves but the love of a son or brother. If you do not love you are not a Christian, especially if you do not love God. Thus it is quite impossible to force people to be a Christian (a real one anyway).

Details, please? How do "Biblical principles" get woven into, say, buying groceries at the store?
There are thousands of ways but just off the top of my head. You could go to local hardware store and buy a table saw and know that it was of good quality because the store owner would know that he would be held responsible if anyone where to get injured because of any faulty workmanship in the making of the saw. They would be made to pay limb for limb, life for life in restitution for any harm that their neglagence caused. All this would be accomplised without endless reems of legal mumbo jumbo as well. If a store own knowingly sells you a faulty item and you get killed, the store owner is executed. Short sweet and simple enough for a third grader to understand. And no child could ever grow up without knowing that such rules are in place and seeing their effect.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Caledvwlch

Clete said:
Christianity isn't about the obedience of slaves but the love of a son or brother. If you do not love you are not a Christian, especially if you do not love God. Thus it is quite impossible to force people to be a Christian (a real one anyway).

There are thousands of ways but just off the top of my head. You could go to local hardware store and buy a table saw and know that it was of good quality because the store owner would know that he would be held responsible if anyone where to get injured because of any faulty workmanship in the making of the saw. They would be made to pay limb for limb, life for life in restitution for any harm that their neglagence caused. All this would be accomplised with endless reems of legal mumbo jumbo as well. If a store own knowingly sells you a faulty item and you get killed, the store owner is executed. Short sweet and simple enough for a third grader to understand. And no child could ever grow up without knowing that such rules are in place and seeing their effect.

Resting in Him,
Clete
Ok, how about this. The store owner unknowingly sells a faulty item and it kills someone? Who do we off in that instance? It seems to me that the law would become a few more than 3 pages with exceptions like this one.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Clete said:

For crying out loud, Clete. Huffing and puffing about not needing to explain yourself or your plans isn't terribly libertarian, Clete. It's a trait of tyranny. One-man strongman rule isn't freedom loving, either. And enforcing biblical law, of all things, has NEVER gone over well. Not once. The Puritans crushed, hanged, and exiled their opponents, you could be burned alive in Geneva. Nothing in your history gives any indication tyranny wouldn't result from a Christianized government.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Caledvwlch said:
Ok, how about this. The store owner unknowingly sells a faulty item and it kills someone? Who do we off in that instance? It seems to me that the law would become a few more than 3 pages with exceptions like this one.
Whomever was at fault for the malfunctioning item. If it was an accident (i.e. it was not due to anyone's negligence) then there would be no punishment.
And no, the entire legal code would be less than 3 full pages long.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Granite

Hall of Fame
It wouldn't happen to include a provision allowing a woman's hand to be cut off, would it?:rolleyes:

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
granite1010 said:
It wouldn't happen to include a provision allowing a woman's hand to be cut off, would it?:rolleyes:

Very good! You just ended this discussion.

:wave2:

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
granite1010 said:

You know, the rolleyes smilie tends to lose it's effect when you use it in all your posts.

Gerald

Resident Fiend
Caledvwlch said:
I think the upshot is that you're held responsible for whatever happens whether you know about it or not.

If you're not willing to take the risk, don't go into business.

Being a physician or surgeon would be extremely risky; one misdiagnosis and you are, quite literally, hanged. :dead:

Zakath

Resident Atheist
granite1010 said:
C'mon, granite. You know they get testy when you cite anything that makes them look like the Taliban. ;)

Granite

Hall of Fame
Zakath said:
C'mon, granite. You know they get testy when you cite anything that makes them look like the Taliban. ;)

Too true. And they really hate giving you a straight answer on this one. :sinapisN:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
granite has already had that question answered, numerous times. The fact that he keeps asking it only shows him to be the jackass that he is.