Why Theonomy?

Skeptic

If the Christian Right were to ever successfully institute a theonomy in America, I would strongly support doing whatever it takes to overthrow such a government. Perhaps, the only thing that could prevent centuries of Christian rule would be a violent overthrow. This is because Christianity, as is evidenced by history, is such an insidiously coercive cult. Once such a cult becomes intimately entangled with government, its power to coerce becomes amplified and efforts to challenge the resulting institutionalized religious dogma becomes extremely difficult.

Are we seeing the beginnings of such a theonomy today? Read this.

justchristian

I agree the idea of modern theonomy is dangerous. I think the proof history (*cough*catholics*cough*), the vast differences Christians hold as truth, and the lack of a direct interaction with God (like the isrealites had) all kinda make a theonomy a really really bad idea.

Justin (Wiccan)

Skeptic said:
If the Christian Right were to ever successfully institute a theonomy in America, I would strongly support doing whatever it takes to overthrow such a government. Perhaps, the only thing that could prevent centuries of Christian rule would be a violent overthrow. This is because Christianity, as is evidenced by history, is such an insidiously coercive cult. Once such a cult becomes intimately entangled with government, its power to coerce becomes amplified and efforts to challenge the resulting institutionalized religious dogma becomes extremely difficult.

Are we seeing the beginnings of such a theonomy today? Read this.

First and foremost, I'm more than a little leery of accepting the Post's ability to be objective when discussing either conservative politics in general, or the GOP in particular.

Secondly, I do not believe that a theonomy is actually going to occur. One thing that I am concerned about is that some Christians will partially withdraw from society--citing the "evils" of the majority--then complain about being "disenfranchised." I want these people to see that their "exile" is of their own choice.

Granite

Hall of Fame
I can see some kind of abuse happening--worked by Christians but not in the name of Christianity.

justchristian

Oh you can bet it'll be in the name of Christianity, I weep when I think of all the horrors done in the name of Christianity. I just doubt it'll be done by Christians (those who actually follow Christ).

Justin (Wiccan)

justchristian said:
Oh you can bet it'll be in the name of Christianity, I weep when I think of all the horrors done in the name of Christianity. I just doubt it'll be done by Christians (those who actually follow Christ).

Justchristian, think for a moment--if you can--just how flimsy and paltry such a distinction will be to those on our side of the fence. Imagine for while just how meaningless such words would have been to the millions of people who have died under one variant or another of "Deus Volent!" Contemplate, if you will, the complete and utter uselessness of your statement to the people whose blood was shed in the name of Jesus Christ.

If you can capture that concept in your mind, then you may possibly see why even the thought of a Christian theonomy is not only distasteful, it is repugnant. Indeed, the only people who should disagree with it more vehemently than non-Christians would be those who follow Christ.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Justin (Wiccan) said:
Justchristian, think for a moment--if you can--just how flimsy and paltry such a distinction will be to those on our side of the fence. Imagine for while just how meaningless such words would have been to the millions of people who have died under one variant or another of "Deus Volent!" Contemplate, if you will, the complete and utter uselessness of your statement to the people whose blood was shed in the name of Jesus Christ.

If you can capture that concept in your mind, then you may possibly see why even the thought of a Christian theonomy is not only distasteful, it is repugnant. Indeed, the only people who should disagree with it more vehemently than non-Christians would be those who follow Christ.

Historical revisionism at its finest. Your public school teachers would be proud.

justchristian

I am outraged. And what distinction? You make the same one at the end. Its a frightening image that chills my soul of a "Christian America" led by right wing fanatics like some of those I read on TOL. Killing homosexuals, adulterers, theives, idolaters(any other religion). Mabye my liberal temperance came across to strong prior but make no mistake - "Christians" who do such horrors in the name of Christ aren't Christians. They hide behind a law they know back and forth but still somehow miss the point. But I want to encourage you not to judge all Christians by their measure. Frankly they abuse the Word of God, and are more Facist than Christian.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Clete said:
Historical revisionism at its finest. Your public school teachers would be proud.

Nothing he said was untrue: abuse has been committed in the name of Christ. The motivation behind those responsible for the atrocities means nothing or little to the victims.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Practically every advance society has ever made was made at the hands of Christians, particularly scientific advancement, especially in the fields of medicine and chemestry. In short, millions more are alive today and have a significantly better standard of life than they would have had without the influence of Christian civilization.

Resting in Him,
Clete

P.S. Your calling me a liar is laughable. :chuckle:

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
justchristian said:
I am outraged. And what distinction? You make the same one at the end. Its a frightening image that chills my soul of a "Christian America" led by right wing fanatics like some of those I read on TOL. Killing homosexuals, adulterers, theives, idolaters(any other religion). Mabye my liberal temperance came across to strong prior but make no mistake - "Christians" who do such horrors in the name of Christ aren't Christians. They hide behind a law they know back and forth but still somehow miss the point. But I want to encourage you not to judge all Christians by their measure. Frankly they abuse the Word of God, and are more Facist than Christian.

It is you who has the unchristian and unjust position on this. God is way more "right-wing" than you are. I recommend getting on His side of things and stop worrying about whether everyone thinks its a good idea.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Justin (Wiccan)

justchristian said:
I am outraged. And what distinction?

The distinction between those who claim to be Christians and propose theonomy, and the ones who follow Christ, and --to the best of my logic and understanding--should resist such an abomination.

"Christians" who do such horrors in the name of Christ aren't Christians.

But I want to encourage you not to judge all Christians by their measure. Frankly they abuse the Word of God, and are more Facist than Christian.

justchristian, we agree on these points. I was not attempting to put those who actually follow Christ in the same corral with the theonomists--indeed, on some of the other forums I participate in, I spend a great deal of time defending Christians from the accusations of non-Christians (especially Pagans, but I feel I have some degree of responsibility there) who try to associate the two.

If I said anything to make you think that I was accusing the followers of Christ of this kind of atrocity, then please accept my profoundest apologies for not speaking clearly. Nothing could be further from my intent.

Justin

Justin (Wiccan)

Clete said:
Practically every advance society has ever made was made at the hands of Christians, particularly scientific advancement, especially in the fields of medicine and chemestry. In short, millions more are alive today and have a significantly better standard of life than they would have had without the influence of Christian civilization.

Clete, saving a thousand lives does not pay for one single life taken. And if you even try to tell me that no one has ever been unjustly killed "in Jesus' name," I'll call you a liar again.

If the shoe fits, wear it. By the way--I didn't go to public schools. :D

Granite

Hall of Fame
Clete said:

Resting in Him,
Clete

So what? The Soviets got Sputnik into space and Hitler built the autobahn.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Justin (Wiccan) said:
Clete, saving a thousand lives does not pay for one single life taken.
I never suggested otherwise. It is you who are making Christians out to be villians when you know that they are not, and yes, I do mean "know".

And if you even try to tell me that no one has ever been unjustly killed "in Jesus' name," I'll call you a liar again.
And I'll call you hypocrite for having done so.

If the shoe fits, wear it. By the way--I didn't go to public schools. :D
Couldn't tell by reading this thread, that's for sure.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Justin (Wiccan)

Clete said:
I never suggested otherwise. It is you who are making Christians out to be villians when you know that they are not, and yes, I do mean "know".

Do you always have problems with reading comprehension, or do you save it for special occasions. I am not making "Christians" out to be villains, for Christians follow Christ, and obey Him. I am, however, asserting that a lot of folks who claimed to be Christian have done a lot of things that if Jesus was around, he'd have been absolutely horrified with.

And I'll call you hypocrite for having done so.

You'd better be able to back it up, or I'll call you on that lie, as well.

Couldn't tell by reading this thread, that's for sure.

Hey, I'm not the one with the reading problem. But I'm sure there are remedial programs in your area--maybe you should look one up?

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
granite1010 said:
So what? The Soviets got Sputnik into space and Hitler built the autobahn.
The Soviets stole their space technology from the west (namely the United States) and Hitler built a road! I'm so impressed! (I'd be even more impressed if this post was even on point.)

Resting in Him,
Clete

justchristian

The Soviets stole their space technology from the west (namely the United States) and Hitler built a road! I'm so impressed! (I'd be even more impressed if this post was even on point.)

Resting in Him,
Clete

Your kidding right. The point granite made was civilized advancement is hardly isolated to Christianity - and is and quite often associated with extreme facist or communist ideals. Completely vaild point historically. Kudos Granite.