Why the death penalty for some sexual sins.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Turbo said:
Was adultery a capital crime in your country when you cheated on your husband?

Julie, the Pharisees were trying to trap Jesus.
they said to Him, "Teacher, this woman was caught in adultery, in the very act. Now Moses, in the law, commanded us that such should be stoned. But what do You say?" This they said, testing Him, that they might have something of which to accuse Him. But Jesus stooped down and wrote on the ground with His finger, as though He did not hear. John 8:4-6​

The Romans were occupying Israel, and they did not allow the Jews to execute criminals (see John 18:31). The Pharisees wanted to provoke a conflict between Christ and the Roman authorities. They had absolutely no interest in justice. (Note that they said she was caught in the act, yet the man she was with wasn't also brought to Jesus.)

The Lord did not repeal the death penalty in John 8 any more than He did in 2 Samuel 12 when He forgave David and allowed him to live. (David, by the way, did not go on to oppose God's criminal justice system just because things happened to work out for him.)

God has delegated to governments the responsibility to execute capital criminals (see Romans 13:1-4). But of course God does not expect these governing authorities to be sinless; otherwise He never would have commanded the death penalty to begin with. In fact it is sinful and rebellious of governments not to execute those criminals whom God commands should be executed.
:first: POTD

julie21

Crow said:
Julie, you are misunderstanding the historical context. At the time of the crucifixion, the Jews were under Roman rule, and Rome did not give them the authority to execute criminals. The Jews, prior to Roman rule, did execute criminals.
Thankyou for that Crow...I understood that the Jews fell under Roman rule, but was waylaid by Mark 14:54 where it is said , " And they all condemned him to be guilty of death", in reference to the High Priests and his Jewish council.
Of course, that was merely condemnation of His guilt according to their Jewish Law. They pressured Pilate into releasing Barabbas and called for crucifixion, which of course Pilate decreed with his acting as Rome's proxy in Jerusalem.

julie21

Turbo:Do you agree that although it would not deter 100%, a government that swiftly and consistently executes murderers will have a considerably lower murder rate than one that doesn't, assuming all else equal?
It would deter those who had been executed 100% from doing it again, and would also cut them off from the grace of Christ in being able to repent of their sin! ;)
I don't have stats for whether the level of capital crime , [we'll say 'murder' of a premeditated kind], has gone down in those US states where the death penalty is incorporated into individual State law.
I will concede that yes, it would probably have a lowering effect on some in society who have the mind to weigh up the consequences of their actions, ahead of the event. Of course, we know that in a fit of rage, there are those so overcome with emotion that common sense and any time for consideration of the penalty would not come into play at all in their thinking.
There are also those in society who have a lowered mental capacity, and therefore would not be capable of this ability to determine such things as cause and effect, and rational logic in halting their actions.
Dahmer was not sentenced to death.
I stand corrected on this statement [ he died at the hand of an inmate?]
Was it Timothy McVeigh I was thinking of then?
I could not see people of the same ilk as Charles Manson worrying about the Death Penalty waiting for them. As I stated, there will always be individuals who will thumb their nose at the law, and even go harder at it as in a game of Russian Roulette. People still tend to play that game, don't they, even knowing what their chances are? The same as with those who get into the heavy drug scene...there are always the percentage who will still do it...no matter what the penalty is.
[I guess that this can be shown, in an abstract way, even through those who are atheists being told that they will end up in eternal Hell if they do not accept Christ...but still not caring what the ultimate penalty is]

Most criminals are deterred by the threat of certain death. (That's why mobsters seldomly double-cross their bosses.)
But see, death is ONLY certain for them IF THEY GET CAUGHT, and are found guilty in a juried court system, after having the luxuryof a lawyers defence, as given by the governing authorities of our day.
Mobsters, as far as I can determine, are usually executed without having the chance for a fair hearing by a jury of their peers, and certainly not within the Legal system...a bit like the Sanhedrin pulling the adultress up to Jesus, isn't it, except that Jesus was full of grace and knew of their ulterior motives. Now they were of a mobster mentality!

No, a woman who is abandoned/divorced by her husband is no longer legally bound to him.
Matthew 5:31-33 (King James Version)
31It hath been said, Whosoever shall put away his wife, let him give her a writing of divorcement:

32But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.
I know this passage has had problems with the translation of two major words re fornication/ adultery in the original text..and will not argue on that point as I am not schooled in Old Greek , but I can, having only my mere Bible translations to look to, take it as translated above. Therefore, to me it reads that if a married woman is divorced by her husband is committing adultery if not divorced for the right reason...and that any man who marries her is guilty of that crime as well. Not so?

julie21

Turbo: The Lord did not repeal the death penalty in John 8 any more than He did in 2 Samuel 12
He did infact repeal the death penalty for these two instances..the meaning of the word 'repeal' is to revoke...which He chose to do in these cases.
Repeal: To cancel (normally a law)...from http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/history/glossary.html#r
God repealed the Law for them and instigated grace and mercy for their crimes.
Of course, this does not mean that the Biblical law's penalty that you refer to and argue for was repealed overall and forever more.

Gerald

Resident Fiend
Turbo said:
What if instead of your neighbor, it were your wife?
I still wouldn't involve the authorities; I can handle such things perfectly well without their help.

billwald

"Even in "OT times" God commanded against not just stealing and committing adultery, but coveting"

EXACTLY! St Paul "confessed" to the one sin (commandment) that could not be prosecuted under the Mosiac Covenant because there was no way to know what a person was thinking. Now there is a way to know what people are thinking.

Say, for example, a simpler version of the lie detector was invented. One that analyzes speach. When a candidate for church member ship is interviewed he could be asked about his covetous and adulterous thoughts. Of course this wouldn't apply to the elders.

Balder

If it is sinful not to follow God's commands WRT crimes that should be prosecuted with execution, should we also still be stoning people for those crimes? Or is there Biblical precedent for leeway in that area?

Crow

Balder said:
If it is sinful not to follow God's commands WRT crimes that should be prosecuted with execution, should we also still be stoning people for those crimes?

No. Paul pointed out that we as believers are subject to the laws of our government. Our government does not prosecute by stoning.

Or is there Biblical precedent for leeway in that area?

Check out Jesus's trial. The Sanhedrin did not execute Him because they were forbidden to by the ruling Roman government, so they took Him to Pilate to plead their case for execution.

Balder

Okay, that makes sense. In an ideal world, though, would we return to stoning people (and sometimes burning them for infidelity among certain in-laws) under Judeo-Christian law?

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Balder said:
Okay, that makes sense. In an ideal world, though, would we return to stoning people (and sometimes burning them for infidelity among certain in-laws) under Judeo-Christian law?
Is there another method that you would prefer?

Balder

If we're going to do it, it should be painful and horrific, no? Really humiliating and physically excruciating, 1) so that the offenders really grasp what they have done (adultery, homosexuality, etc), 2) so we can have the feeling of satisfaction that evil is getting its just reward by being really inflicted with evil itself, and 3) so people witnessing it can have some sense of the real torment that is in store for them if they do not obey the law and God's commands.

The traditional Biblical methods seem well-suited for the above, but maybe someone can improve on them, if that's Biblically permissible.

Crow

Balder said:
Nope, in an ideal world, people wouldn't commit adultry.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Balder said:
If we're going to do it, it should be painful and horrific, no? Really humiliating and physically excruciating, 1) so that the offenders really grasp what they have done (adultery, homosexuality, etc), 2) so we can have the feeling of satisfaction that evil is getting its just reward by being really inflicted with evil itself, and 3) so people witnessing it can have some sense of the real torment that is in store for them if they do not obey the law and God's commands.

The traditional Biblical methods seem well-suited for the above, but maybe someone can improve on them, if that's Biblically permissible.

Yes, they are. They're nice and sadistic.

Agape4Robin

You of course are entitled to disagree, just as I am with your views.
;)

I
have apparently been living in a fairy-tale for the past 18 years then, according to your opinion...and who says that they can't come true? Neither my husband nor I have even contemplated...even in the really bad times of our marriage when we were not Christians...in committing adultery.
So, both of you were married when you met?
Congrats on the 18 years! :BRAVO:

And now that we are Christians, there is absolutely no way this will ever happen...
Never say never......

but you are entitled to say that this is a load of rubbish, but how does anyone know the heart of another, except God?
I'm not questioning your heart's intent or your husbands, I just stated what the marriage statistics say. When it comes down to it, it's the level of commitment that both people in a marriage have to have for it to be successful according to God's standards.

And it is He who has strengthened this 2nd marriage, through His being included in it and blessed it in many ways since coming to Him...if it's wrong, then why would He do that?
This is the key here......

There is no evidence of 'consequences that have come about from my actions.
No? Hhmmm.....sin without consequence? :think: None? :confused:
You say that children of a divorce caused through adultery suffer...I can get my son to tell you how he feels, living with a father who does not drink alcohol to the point where it is dangerous to all concerned.
With all due respect, I have been through severe issues of dependency in my marriage and we worked very hard at getting through those issues. God was the only thing that held us together. I am convinced of that. Yes, there were times when my children would have rather we split up than go through the hell that they went through watching their parents hurt each other, but if you ask them now, they would tell you that they have seen the lives of their friends whose families have fractured and splintered off and they feel grateful that we stuck it out and worked like crazy through pain and anger and resentment and came out of it with a stronger and more blessed life for it. If you asked them, they would tell you they are blessed to have both parents who love them and each other.

Then isn't it funny how He has blessed our marriage in so may ways? What did Jesus do with the adultress woman?...do you think that after stopping those who were sinful in themselves stoning her, as the Law stated...that after He told her to " go and sin no more", that she then suffered from the consequences of her previous sin? I don't believe that she did...He forgave her, she went and sinned no more [ in my opinion] and lived a worth life.

Like another poster pointed out, where was the man she was caught with? The illustration was not so much about the adultery as the intent of the Pharisees in seeking to trap Jesus. But I do see your point.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Turbo: The Lord did not repeal the death penalty in John 8 any more than He did in 2 Samuel 12

julie21 said:
He did infact repeal the death penalty for these two instances..the meaning of the word 'repeal' is to revoke...which He chose to do in these cases.
Repeal: To cancel (normally a law)...from http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/history/glossary.html#r
God repealed the Law for them and instigated grace and mercy for their crimes.
Of course, this does not mean that the Biblical law's penalty that you refer to and argue for was repealed overall and forever more.
Incorrect! The Biblical standard for invoking the death penalty is to be convicted by the testimony of two or more witnesses. In John:8 the witnesses all took off when Jesus wrote in the sand. No witness no conviction. In 2 Samuel the only witness against David was Nathan and he could only testify to what God had revealed to him. He did not witness the crime or the physical evidence that we know of.

julie21

deardelmar said:
Incorrect! The Biblical standard for invoking the death penalty is to be convicted by the testimony of two or more witnesses. In John:8 the witnesses all took off when Jesus wrote in the sand. No witness no conviction. In 2 Samuel the only witness against David was Nathan and he could only testify to what God had revealed to him. He did not witness the crime or the physical evidence that we know of.
Okay...the witnesses took off after Jesus asked that he who had no sin cast the first stone, and whilst He wrote in the sand, the eldest moved away first then the youngest, for as with us all, they were not perfectly sinless. They were still witnesses...more than one of them...and they 'testified' to Jesus what the woman had done. Jesus knew the reasons for their bringing her to them - without the male, as we know- and so took the stand he did. The matter did not go to a court/council for official ruling. Jesus grace came into play against the self-righteousness of the Sanhedrin.
Yes you are correct re the parable of 2 Samuel as well... :)

I'll get back to you with more soon....;)

julie21

Deardelamar...you stated that their were no witnesses, therefore no conviction.
I tell you now that Jesus did convict the adulteress...Jesus refused to condemn the woman.

After the scribes and Pharisees drift away (probably because Jesus wrote their sins in the sand!), our Lord stands up and he says to her, "Has no one condemned you?" She replies, "No one, sir." To which Jesus responds, Neither do I condemn you

But he still does convict her.
He convicts her of her sin by what he says in the very next line of the text. Immediately after our Lord says to her, "Neither do I condemn you,’ he adds the instruction, ‘Go, and from now on do not sin anymore."

He labels the deed a sin, and commands her not to do it again.

There is a big difference between "convicting" and "condemning"?

Simply put, to convict is to identify or expose a particular sin;
to condemn is to say or imply that someone is damned. During his earthly life, Jesus very often did the first, but he never, ever did the second—as we see evidenced in this Gospel. But Jesus is God—which means that on the Day of Judgment he will do the second. Or, to be a little more accurate, he will ratify the fact that certain people have condemned themselves.

You are not God! And neither am I!
Consequently, because we are imperfect, fallible human beings, we never have the right to condemn! Only God is qualified to do that, because only God knows the heart [ and that is how he will judge those guilty of 'lusting in the mind' a woman who is not their wife- thus committing 'adultery]; only God knows how culpable a person is for his or her sins. We do not—even if we think we do, have the right to throw that first stone or switch or whatever...for neither you, nor I, are free from sin.
And that is what the Gospel tells us, throughout.

Another point in this argument re punishment by stoning to death adulterers etc, according to Deuteronmy law, is that these laws were a Covenant Law between God and Israel [ the Laws and the punishments to be meted out],
I don't really think that I am Israel...would I not , along with a heap of other people in society today, be considered as Gentile...that is if we are looking at the OT Laws of Deuternomy? Whereas Christ came with His new Covenant of redemption forgiveness through the act of His grace and mercy, and this Covenant is now for all, Jew- as in Israel, and Gentile?:think:

Last edited:

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
julie21 said:
Deardelamar...you stated that their were no witnesses, therefore no conviction.
I tell you now that Jesus did convict the adulteress...Jesus refused to condemn the woman.
True but he also never stated that the government would have been wrong to do so. Jesus was not a governmental leader....yet!