Why protein folding permits "small changes" but prohibits macroevolution.

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
In a previous thread I "fixed up" the Dawkins "METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL" evolutionary analogy so that it agreed more closely with evolutionary theory.

Dawkins had started his example and computer model with a random string of letters and showed how easy it was for random changes plus selection to generate the "target" WEASEL phrase.

Of course we are told in evolutionary theory that evolution has no goal and that each step in the evolutionary step by step process must be an improvement so that natural selection can cause it to become more frequent in the population.

So I fixed the Dawkins model in the following ways:

1) start with a sentence that makes sense,

2) assume that a letter is selected at random and modifies a randomly selected position in the current sentence,

3) examine the modified sentence to see if it not only makes sense, but makes more sense than the previous sentence did,

4) finally, see if the new sentence "fits" well into the paragraph, like the original sentence
did.

The purpose of this mental exercise was to stimulate thought about what is going on whenever a random change occurs in the DNA of a lifeform.

In all lifeforms we know about, a string of DNA (nucleotides) called a gene is tranformed into another string, RNA, which in turn is used as a template to produce a string of amino acids, a protein. Proteins could be called the "building blocks" of life. They act as "frameworks", enzymes (e.g. hormones), and may play other roles as well.

The string of amino acids known as a protein typically fold up from their string form into a more compact "ball" form. Failure to do this usually means that the protein fails to do its job and is pretty much worthless.

Dawkins used the English language to suggest an analogy with DNA/proteins.

Good idea.

There are some parallels in this which stimulate thought. Genes are sort of like words and/or sentences. Sentences must "fit" into a paragraph, just as genes/proteins do not act in isolation, but work in coordinated "teams" to generate the form, and affect characteristics of lifeforms.

Of course no analogy is perfect: they aren't intended to be. They simply suggest different ways of thinking about some subject, perhaps ways that add to understanding. A camera is not perfectly similar to an eye, but it does suggest a way of thinking about an eye.

In the case at hand most people would agree that changing letters one at a time in a sentence randomly would almost never generate a new sentence that made sense and also "fit" better in the paragraph it was embedded in.

Now the question is: to what extent might this be true of DNA/proteins and the biomechanisms that they are a part of?

My past experience with studying the cytochrome c protein molecule resulted in a series of color-coded charts displaying many different versions of this molecule in different lifeforms. As far as I know most species have slightly different versions, usually differing in one or two positions in a molecule consisting of a chain of amino acids about 100 long.

What was interesting to me was that the data was highly clustered, meaning that the protein molecule of most species was very, very similar within a larger grouping, but very much different from one major grouping to another. For example mammals were similar to one another, but repties, birds, amphibians, plants, bacteria, etc. were all very different.

This pattern held for every major group.

Within each group there was great similarity, but each of the groups were equally distant from every other group (as measured by the number of positions which differed).

This interesting phenomenon was first noted by Michael Denton, an evolutionary biologist. He was arguing against Darwinism, not evolution, because he has an alternate idea of how evolution works, one that does not rely on the accumulation of small changes over millions of years through the action of random mutations plus natural selection.

He wrote a book, Evolution, A Theory In Crisis, and ever since he has been accused of being a creationist. Pretty funny really. He simply had honest doubts that Darwinism was the answer as to why lifeforms evolve over time.

At any rate, the previous material suggests to some that the prior thinking which pretty much ignored the fact that proteins must "fold up" into a "ball" into order to function, needs to look into how often this folding will result in non-functional or subfunctional proteins.

Fortunately this is an active field of research although it is so difficult to predict when folding occurs properly that supercomputers are being used to aid in the task.

Hopefully within a few years answers will be forthcoming and we will no longer have to guess whether proteins are like English sentences, and the process of step by step random changes over millions of years was either a pipedream or a real possibility.

Last edited:

Vision in Verse

The way I learned it:
mutations change DNA
DNA changes aminoacids
Aminoacids change protein shape
Protein shape changes protein function
Change in protein function = mutation

I don't understand why it prohibits macroevolution.

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Vision in Verse said:
The way I learned it:
mutations change DNA
DNA changes aminoacids
Aminoacids change protein shape
Protein shape changes protein function
Change in protein function = mutation

I don't understand why it prohibits macroevolution.

Apparently your class missed the "protein folding" stuff. Also the RNA intermediate step, and the fact that protein "machines" aid in the folding process as well as doing the transcription itself.

A classic "which came first the chicken or the egg".

All of this is clarified in the "cell trends too" thread.

I suggest that anyone who wants to know more about this fabulous stuff take the time to read that thread.

Johnny

I thought you were going to tell us why protein folding permits "small changes" but prohibits macroevolution.

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Johnny said:
I thought you were going to tell us why protein folding permits "small changes" but prohibits macroevolution.

It's called "clustering".

Did I fail to mention it?

Vision in Verse

bob b said:
Apparently your class missed the "protein folding" stuff. Also the RNA intermediate step, and the fact that protein "machines" aid in the folding process as well as doing the transcription itself.

I suggest that anyone who wants to know more about this fabulous stuff take the time to read that thread.
No, I didn't miss it at all. I don't see how it prohibits macroevolution.

Jukia

Is "clustering" a bob b term or is it a generally accepted principle? As I recall most people with any real knowledge in the area thought your cytochome c study to be bogus but perhaps you can refresh my memory

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Jukia said:
Is "clustering" a bob b term or is it a generally accepted principle? As I recall most people with any real knowledge in the area thought your cytochome c study to be bogus but perhaps you can refresh my memory

The study results themselves could not have been "bogus" because the charts I showed simply presented the data which I got off the protein sequence depository available via the internet.

However, some people did disagree with some of the conclusions I drew from the raw data displayed on my color coded charts.

But the clustering of the data about major types of creatures is quite evident when one plots the raw data.

If the word "clustering" throws you try looking it up in a dictionary.

Jukia

bob b said:
The study results themselves could not have been "bogus" because the charts I showed simply presented the data which I got off the protein sequence depository available via the internet.

However, some people did disagree with some of the conclusions I drew from the raw data displayed on my color coded charts.

But the clustering of the data about major types of creatures is quite evident when one plots the raw data.

If the word "clustering" throws you try looking it up in a dictionary.
"clustering" means that creatures that seem to be related have similar cytochrome c? Is that what you mean?

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Jukia said:
"clustering" means that creatures that seem to be related have similar cytochrome c? Is that what you mean?

Cluster: a number of similar things growing or gathered together; a bunch.

The cytochrome c molecule is like that, so are many other protein molecules.

Why should this be if they are slowly changing in very small steps?

Why should the same proten in other groupings cluster within the group, but be markedly different between groups?

Is the answer the same reason the fossil record shows small changes in a species over time but new species appear fully formed abruptly with no obvious ancester? (punk eek)

Vision in Verse

bob b said:
Cluster: a number of similar things growing or gathered together; a bunch.
The cytochrome c molecule is like that, so are many other protein molecules.
Why should this be if they are slowly changing in very small steps?
Why not?
bob b said:
Why should the same proten in other groupings cluster within the group, but be markedly different between groups?
Microevolution? Genetic drift?
bob b said:
Is the answer the same reason the fossil record shows small changes in a species over time but new species appear fully formed abruptly with no obvious ancester? (punk eek)
The ancestors simply haven't been found in those cases. But, a relatively well documented transition is of the feathered dinosaurs clearly leading to the evolution of birds. That's what I believe anyway.

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Vision in Verse said:
Why not? Microevolution? Genetic drift?The ancestors simply haven't been found in those cases. But, a relatively well documented transition is of the feathered dinosaurs clearly leading to the evolution of birds. That's what I believe anyway.

Unfortunately there are reported cases of fossil birds found in layers prior to the so-called feathered dinosaurs. Thus, your example may be simply another case of a mosaic, like the duck billed platypus.

Vision in Verse

bob b said:
Unfortunately there are reported cases of fossil birds found in layers prior to the so-called feathered dinosaurs. Thus, your example may be simply another case of a mosaic, like the duck billed platypus.
It may or may not be.

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Getting back to the subject of this thread, proteins, people here might be interested in seeing what the cytochrome c amino acid sequence looks like in various groups.

The letters in the chart are the standard abbreviations with a different letter for each different amino acid (20 in all).

I used different colors to highlight differences and similarities between the different lifeforms.

http://members.aol.com/Bobsbend/cytoca3.htm

supersport

bob b said:
Getting back to the subject of this thread, proteins, people here might be interested in seeing what the cytochrome c amino acid sequence looks like in various groups.

The letters in the chart are the standard abbreviations with a different letter for each different amino acid (20 in all).

I used different colors to highlight differences and similarities between the different lifeforms.

hey bob...I don't know if this relates or not..but you might find it interesting.

http://www.iscid.org/boards/ubb-get_topic-f-6-t-000621-p-34.html

Peter Borger claims this cytochrome c is a non-random mutation, which falsifies common descent.

edit: you might also scroll through the thread....starting on page 4 Borger starts chiming in. Not only does he claim common descent is falsfied, but he also claims old ages in regards to lifeforms is in serious question (pg. 5)

Jukia

bob b said:
Got a cite to some real science for that?
And is this not just a rephrased "If man evolved from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?" ala some of Dr. Dino's arguments?
A duck billed platypus is a mosaic? Got a cite to some real science for that??

Jukia

bob b said:

Yeah, its complicated, takes a bit of thought and study and interaction among scientists to try to figure things out. So what is the reason that the "cell trends too" thread only allowed you to post? Lots of interaction there, oh science lover

Vision in Verse

bob b said:

Can you again explain, this time in detail, understandably, why does this falsify macroevolution?

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Vision in Verse said:
Can you again explain, this time in detail, understandably, why does this falsify macroevolution?

First tell me whether you would consider any argument or evidence that attempts to falsfy evolution to be in any way possible to thoroughly convince you that molecules to man did not happen.

In other words, is there anything you could name or conceive of that would accomplish such a feat?

(personally I would think that all it would take is for the vast majority of evolutionary scientists to fess up and admit they were just having a bit of fun with the gullible public).