Why is sex and sexual orientation so public?

Granite

Hall of Fame
And, I have not stated that other people owe me an obligation to make me feel comfortable?
If I operated under that premise I wouldn't be here.

Yet you keep complaining about behavior that upsets you but that's so vague no one here really knows what you're complaining about.

I think--from what I can gather--you apparently have a problem with PDA. Well...uh...people are affectionate. Can't really change that.

Quetzal

And, I have not stated that other people owe me an obligation to make me feel comfortable?
If I operated under that premise I wouldn't be here.
That is fair enough. What I will say, however, is that is the very reason this issue even exists. It exists because a group of people are not comfortable with two men or two women holding hands.

bybee

To you.

What you call courtesy is expecting others to accommodate your prudish concerns, right? But wouldn't it then be just as "courteous" for you to accommodate the less prudish expressions of others?

I'm just explaining how completely self-centered this presumption of righteousness is. The fact that seeing a same sex couple kiss or hold hands offends the homophobe is the homophobe's problem. Not everyone else's. But because homophobes dress up their fear and loathing in religion, they imagine that their homophobia is made "righteous" by it, and presume themselves to hold the superior view, and that everyone else should then alter their behavior to accommodate this superior view. Then when others don't alter and hide their behavior to accommodate these self-righteous homophobes, the homophobes get angry, and feel as if they are being "assaulted" by the blatant display of homosexual attraction.

And this isn't just how homosexuals see what's happening, it's how anyone who is not homophobic sees it. Like me.

Well ya! In Santa Monica sex on the beach is a regular occurrence. I guess if I'd like my children not to see it I would have to stay away from the beach?
I don't have a superior view. That is your stance! I am not talking about casual signs of affection. I am uncomfortable with blatant displays of sexual groping and simulating of the sex act if not outright performance thereof.
And I never mentioned gender. I don't care who it is. Are you saying then that since I am so smugly superior and judgmental in my views I need to be accepting and tolerant of any and all behaviors in public? If that is the case then you ought to be tolerant of my behavior in public!

PureX

Well ya! In Santa Monica sex on the beach is a regular occurrence. I guess if I'd like my children not to see it I would have to stay away from the beach?
I don't have a superior view. That is your stance! I am not talking about casual signs of affection. I am uncomfortable with blatant displays of sexual groping and simulating of the sex act if not outright performance thereof.
And I never mentioned gender. I don't care who it is. Are you saying then that since I am so smugly superior and judgmental in my views I need to be accepting and tolerant of any and all behaviors in public? If that is the case then you ought to be tolerant of my behavior in public!
All I'm saying is that there is a LOT of self-righteousness involved in the intolerance of homosexuals and homosexuality. So much so that people become outraged at the sight of two men kissing, or even holding hands. And that outrage is so wrapped in self-righteousness that imagines itself completely reasonable and justified. Which then presumes that the men touching each other in public are completely unreasonable and unjustified. THEY are the "culprits". THEY are the cause of the outrage. THEY are the problem that must be "fixed" and not the homophobe's homophobia.

You can figure out for yourself where you fit in this scenario. And to what degree.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
But because homophobes dress up their fear and loathing in religion, they imagine that their homophobia is made "righteous" by it, and presume themselves to hold the superior view, and that everyone else should then alter their behavior to accommodate this superior view.

That's the core of it. It's the attempt to impose a religious belief on a secular society. For those who don't see homosexuality as a sin (because their particular religious beliefs don't see it as a sin or because they don't believe in the idea of religious sin), it's a non-issue, and hopefully the day will come when conversations like these are unnecessary.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
That's the core of it. It's the attempt to impose a religious belief on a secular society. For those who don't see homosexuality as a sin (because their particular religious beliefs don't see it as a sin or because they don't believe in the idea of religious sin), it's a non-issue, and hopefully the day will come when conversations like these are unnecessary.

do you believe homosexuality is a sin?

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
do you believe homosexuality is a sin?

I know this question wasn't for me but I had a thought progression. For me it's not the sin that disturbs me. People sin and will sin in infinite ways, it's mostly none of my business unless my rights are violated.

What bothers me is the disgust factor; gay sex is disgusting period. Top that off with the LBGTQF agendas and making same sex marriages legal and it's too much. After the disgust and absurdity of gay love, then we can also say it is an abomination and a sin in God's eyes (I know God is first but many gays are Godless heathens)

God forgives and still loves, but sin is sin. I don't have to accept it as standard practice, and I don't have to tolerate it. Like ACW says we need to organize in our communities and vote and be heard (acw has good plans), in the meantime I am "ok" as long as I don't have it shoved in my face everywhere I turn. I don't need to see and hear about it as a daily news feed.

Greg Jennings

death penalty :duh:

Wow really? Do you know how many millions (perhaps hundreds of millions) of murders that would require?

While we're on the subject of murder, do you consider abortion murder? And if you do, how can you be appalled by the murder of millions in cases of abortion but at the same time advocate the murder of millions of people who, under current laws, would not be killed?

ok doser

Wow really? Do you know how many millions (perhaps hundreds of millions) of murders that would require?

not at all

only a few swift executions would be required to notify the criminals that their behavior would no longer be tolerated

While we're on the subject of murder, do you consider abortion murder?

of course

And if you do, how can you be appalled by the murder of millions in cases of abortion but at the same time advocate the murder of millions of people who, under current laws, would not be killed?

see above

Greg Jennings

not at all

only a few swift executions would be required to notify the criminals that their behavior would no longer be tolerated

of course

see above

If what you are saying was true then nobody would ever kill anybody because they'd be afraid of capital punishment. But still murder happens every day. So I doubt anything would be curtailed

Last edited:

bybee

Yet you keep complaining about behavior that upsets you but that's so vague no one here really knows what you're complaining about.

I think--from what I can gather--you apparently have a problem with PDA. Well...uh...people are affectionate. Can't really change that.

What is apparent to you is a product of your own imagining.
I am stating my thoughts on a subject in an open forum. I am not complaining. Whenever something is in my purview to change I do so. When it comes to manners I mind my own. And even when in the presence of an abysmal clot I do not wish to create a scene... unless I have to.
Those signs of affection which are traditionally considered acceptable in public generally touch my heart! A hug, a kiss a pat on the back, holding hands and sitting close together starry eyed.
And yes I look away when things get hot and heavy.

ok doser

If what you are saying was true then nobody would ever kill anybody because they'd be afraid of capital punishment. But still murder happens every day. So I doubt anything would be curtailed

can you imagine how many murders would occur if there was no law against it, no penalty for doing it?