• This is a new section being rolled out to attract people interested in exploring the origins of the universe and the earth from a biblical perspective. Debate is encouraged and opposing viewpoints are welcome to post but certain rules must be followed. 1. No abusive tagging - if abusive tags are found - they will be deleted and disabled by the Admin team 2. No calling the biblical accounts a fable - fairy tale ect. This is a Christian site, so members that participate here must be respectful in their disagreement.

Why Evolution is real science - let's settle this "debate"!

Right Divider

Body part
Do you believe that all the species alive today came from the 'kinds' on the ark? Maybe you should tell all those here who believe in ridiculous speeds of evolutionary change over a few thousand years that there isn't enough time for evolution.
You're having a problem with FOCUS. We were discussing the time required for dead matter to come to life by natural means.

Changes to EXISTING creatures can happen very quickly, once they ALREADY exist.

Do you mean elements capable of radioactive decay were formed in star explosions? That's not an assumption, we can see it happening. And it doesn't even have to be an explosion, you can read about the observations of new heavy elements (capable of radioactivity) made in a neutron star collision:
You can say that you see it happening.

That's not an assumption, it is part of a model, or theory of planetary accretion. It is consistent with all the evidence observable in the solar system today. But you seem to be claiming that it is unreasonable to link the observable production of elements in stars with the elements present in the earth. Is that it?
That "model" or "theory" is quite simply ridiculous. Why are many planets in our solar system so different if they all formed the same way from the same stuff? Why do Venus and Uranus rotate in the "wrong" direction? Why is 90% of earths radioactivity in the granite crust? There are SO many problems with that "model".

You should read the Wikipedia article on isochron dating. It explains how this technique eliminates this assumption.
:rotfl:

That is just ONE of the MANY assumptions.

Yes that is an assumption. Can you explain what you think might cause that to be invalid?
Because there is no way to validate it one way or the other.

This is not an assumption. Since the time of the first direct measurements of decay rates there has been no change detected. Some studies report up to 1% variation in decay rates, but others report none. So if we apply that 1% to the age of the earth, it could drop to 4.50 billion years, which is the lower limit of the error given with the date anyway. Over the course of human astronomy, which is much longer, if the decay rates have changed then gravitational attractions have changed, which would give rise to differences in the orbital motions of the inner planets of our solar system. Such changes have not been observed.
Yes, they have been observed. Experiments have shown that decay rates can be changed by a factor of a billion under certain conditions. I'm surprised that you don't know about this.
“The rhenium-187 aeon [billion-year] clock is an example which brings to light—in a rather spectacular manner—the influence of the atomic charge state [electrical charge] on nuclear and astrophysical properties. It has long been recognized that the number and configuration of electrons bound in the atom can significantly alter beta decay lifetimes. However, none of these effects could be investigated until very recently, while only [electrically] neutral atoms were available in the laboratories.” Fritz Bosch, “Setting a Cosmic Clock with Highly Charged Ions,” Physica Scripta, Vol. T80, 1999, p. 34.

Please give us more.
Work on what I gave you. That was plenty and you've addressed practically nothing.

Did your god give you a brain to think with? Isn't it possible that scripture is wrong (it clearly is) and that science is fundamentally right about ages and biological processes, and your god is lamenting the fact that you rely on Bronze Age ignorance instead of your god-given curiosity? What if you have completely misinterpreted what this god expects you to do with your senses and logical brain? You might end up at some pearly gates somewhere being told off for your attempts to deny how the grand plan really works.
Shear stupidity in that pile.

And what do you think is stopping it? I have explained to you already what I think the problem is. Can you analyse your own claim?
I don't have to show that "something is stopping it".... YOU have to show that it's even remotely possible.

It is a serious question. If you can't tell me what life is then how do I know what you are talking about? You can't tell me whether you think viruses are living or not: they are the simplest form of organism we encounter because some are just a strand of DNA in a coat of protein. Their only life function is reproduction, as a parasite in a host cell. Is that life?? If you say that life can be something that was produced by an invisible being breathing into dirt, then I don't think an accusation of me being stupid is reasonable at that point: it is you who has all the explaining to do.
Reproduction is a great example of life.

So breathing into dirt wasn't a natural process.
No, it is/was not a natural process. It was a direct creative act of a highly intelligent being. You do NOT see dirt coming to life today.

Does that mean the life came from life, or not?
Still playing stupid?

It is not me making up terms that require definitions. I've got no idea what you are talking about. I have good reason to suspect that I am not the product of breathing into dirt. So, what gives?
You must be too dense for this conversation.

Please list the different types of science you believe exist. Perhaps you could explain how they are different.
There are at least two:
  • Observational science in which repeatably is a key factor.
  • Historical science which deals with one-time events (non-repeatable).
It's not really a problem for me. The type of science that I think is science converged on a 4.55 billion year age for the earth a long time ago. Young Earth Creationism seems only to converge on the common theme of apparently impossible magic.
More condescending claptrap.

The scale of the mistake in believing the earth to be a few thousand years old is the same as claiming the distance from Los Angeles to New York is less than 100 yards. It's that wrong.
More stupidity.

No, the first time it was reported in 1956, it was 4.55 billion years. I recommend reading about experimental error and how it is calculated and reported.
:juggle:

Stuu

We were discussing the time required for dead matter to come to life by natural means.
You may appreciate that I disagree with your use of the term 'dead matter'. I think I am already made of matter and it is only the emergent properties my pile of organised matter has that gives the impression of what you call 'life'. The difference between living and dead is only whether the chemical mechanisms are still able to work together to give the impression of life. Viruses give the impression of living in some aspects, and are collections of matter in other aspects.

Changes to EXISTING creatures can happen very quickly, once they ALREADY exist.
So you have no problem with the fact that our ancestors at the time of the dinosaurs were small, shrew-like mammals, which have changed over time through countless other forms. If you do have a problem with that, perhaps you can explain what it is. Again, evidence-based objections are appropriate in a thread about science.

You can say that you see it happening.
Yes. Each element has a unique signature in the light it emits when heated. That is why helium is called helium: it was discovered in light from the sun (helios) before it was identified on earth. We know exactly what elements there are in stars, and how much of each from their emission spectra.

Why are many planets in our solar system so different if they all formed the same way from the same stuff?
Good question. The planets have different compositions because the big disc of gas and dust around the new sun, that accreted into the planets, was heated from the centre by the sun. Accretion requires solid particles to collide with other solid particles, and at the higher temperatures near the sun, the only solids were made of metallic and oxide forms of mainly iron, silicon, aluminium, calcium and nickel. So that's what the inner planets are made of. Further from the sun, where it was much colder, the substances that are gases to us were liquid or solid out there, and so they were the condensed forms of matter that accreted into planets. These accretion discs can be seen around other stars. They usually last less than 25 million years.

Why do Venus and Uranus rotate in the "wrong" direction?
Another good question. I don't think anyone really knows why. There are quite a few factors that would affect the direction of rotation. Early collisions, flipping or slowing and reversing into a different stable state of spin in relation to the conservation of angular momentum are two possibilities. This isn't a problem for the accretion model as such.

Why is 90% of earths radioactivity in the granite crust?
Granite contains the uranium isotopes that are the major known contributors to radiogenic heating, along with thorium and potassium isotopes. But it would help if you could give a reference for the 90% figure, because there are only limited techniques for establishing exactly what radiogenic heat processes are happening below the crust so I don't know how that has been calculated. The core, for example, is iron and that's not going to be producing much nuclear energy, and the silicate component of the mantle won't be, either.

There are SO many problems with that "model".
There really is only one problem with the theory of planetary accretion the so-called one metre problem. I would have thought that the questions you have raised aren't actually problems.

That is just ONE of the MANY assumptions.
Did you read about isochron dating? If the list of MANY assumptions has been reduced one by one, then maybe the remaining ones don't make as impressive a list. And it's not really an argument just to be impressed by a list.

Because there is no way to validate it one way or the other.
There's no way to validate what, exactly?

Yes, [decay rate changes] have been observed. Experiments have shown that decay rates can be changed by a factor of a billion under certain conditions. I'm surprised that you don't know about this.

“The rhenium-187 aeon [billion-year] clock is an example which brings to light—in a rather spectacular manner—the influence of the atomic charge state [electrical charge] on nuclear and astrophysical properties. It has long been recognized that the number and configuration of electrons bound in the atom can significantly alter beta decay lifetimes. However, none of these effects could be investigated until very recently, while only [electrically] neutral atoms were available in the laboratories.” Fritz Bosch, “Setting a Cosmic Clock with Highly Charged Ions,” Physica Scripta, Vol. T80, 1999, p. 34.
If you strip all of the electrons off a rhenium atom, then you will see a significant change in the beta decay rate. Are you saying that there has ever been a situation where rhenium isotopes of atoms with no orbiting electrons have had their ratios measured?

John Woodmorappe (not his real name) has lied to you, and he knows it. I will explain the details to the best of my ability, if you wish.

I don't have to show that "something is stopping it".... YOU have to show that it's even remotely possible.
If I were you I would set a much higher standard than that. 'Remotely possible' is easy to demonstrate. All you have to do is look at the cell-like shapes fat molecules form when they join together in water, a simpler version of our fat molecules forming cell membranes, then all the complex molecules of life that form in space and arrive on earth carried on meteorites, including the bases that make up the genetic code. Then there are all the natural energy-generating systems such as sea-floor smokers giving out sulfur compounds, or natural proton gradients like the ones contained in cells today.

Far from remotely possible, it looks quite likely that chemistry would produce a replicating system all on its own. From there, all you need is selection from a variety of forms for fitness in its environment. But as I wrote earlier, it's not likely to be observed today because any complex organisation of nutritionally good molecules will be lunch for some bacterium or other.

Reproduction is a great example of life.
What does that mean?

No, it is/was not a natural process. It was a direct creative act of a highly intelligent being. You do NOT see dirt coming to life today.
So, in other words, magic.

Stuu: Please list the different types of science you believe exist. Perhaps you could explain how they are different.
There are at least two:
Does AiG have observational science writers and historical science writers? Of course not.

Can you tell me how the methods of these two types of science differ? What are the differences in the way an observational scientist would work compared to an historical scientist?

Stuart

Right Divider

Body part
You may appreciate that I disagree with your use of the term 'dead matter'. I think I am already made of matter and it is only the emergent properties my pile of organised matter has that gives the impression of what you call 'life'.
So you cannot tell the difference between living matter and dead matter? How can anyone have an intelligent discussion with you?

The difference between living and dead is only whether the chemical mechanisms are still able to work together to give the impression of life.
"impression of life"? You are retarded.

Viruses give the impression of living in some aspects, and are collections of matter in other aspects.
:juggle:

So you have no problem with the fact that our ancestors at the time of the dinosaurs were small, shrew-like mammals, which have changed over time through countless other forms. If you do have a problem with that, perhaps you can explain what it is. Again, evidence-based objections are appropriate in a thread about science.
All of my ancestors are human, nearly identical to humans today. Again, you have NO evidence that some of your ancestors were "small, shrew-like mammals".

Yes. Each element has a unique signature in the light it emits when heated. That is why helium is called helium: it was discovered in light from the sun (helios) before it was identified on earth. We know exactly what elements there are in stars, and how much of each from their emission spectra.
And then you conjecture that these elements are how the planets formed, even though there are insurmountable problems with that wild idea.

Good question. The planets have different compositions because the big disc of gas and dust around the new sun, that accreted into the planets, was heated from the centre by the sun. Accretion requires solid particles to collide with other solid particles, and at the higher temperatures near the sun, the only solids were made of metallic and oxide forms of mainly iron, silicon, aluminium, calcium and nickel. So that's what the inner planets are made of. Further from the sun, where it was much colder, the substances that are gases to us were liquid or solid out there, and so they were the condensed forms of matter that accreted into planets. These accretion discs can be seen around other stars. They usually last less than 25 million years.
Some more wild story telling without actual evidence. Keep up the good work.

Another good question. I don't think anyone really knows why. There are quite a few factors that would affect the direction of rotation. Early collisions, flipping or slowing and reversing into a different stable state of spin in relation to the conservation of angular momentum are two possibilities. This isn't a problem for the accretion model as such.
Again, more wild story telling without ANY evidence.

Granite contains the uranium isotopes that are the major known contributors to radiogenic heating, along with thorium and potassium isotopes. But it would help if you could give a reference for the 90% figure, because there are only limited techniques for establishing exactly what radiogenic heat processes are happening below the crust so I don't know how that has been calculated. The core, for example, is iron and that's not going to be producing much nuclear energy, and the silicate component of the mantle won't be, either.
In a radio interview with Bob Enyart, Dr. Lawrence Krauss (a well known atheist theoretical physicist) agree with the 90% value... so you should be OK with that number.

Perhaps you should educate yourself on the effects of expanding and compressing quartz. About 27% of the granite crust is quartz.

Also, if the radioactive elements came from your distant star explosions, there should be lots of them in the core as they are much heavier elements than iron.

There really is only one problem with the theory of planetary accretion the so-called one metre problem. I would have thought that the questions you have raised aren't actually problems.
There are MANY insurmountable problems with that theory.

Did you read about isochron dating? If the list of MANY assumptions has been reduced one by one, then maybe the remaining ones don't make as impressive a list. And it's not really an argument just to be impressed by a list.
:rotfl:

There's no way to validate what, exactly?
The "closed system" required to give radiometric dating even the slightest chance of "working".

If you strip all of the electrons off a rhenium atom, then you will see a significant change in the beta decay rate. Are you saying that there has ever been a situation where rhenium isotopes of atoms with no orbiting electrons have had their ratios measured?

John Woodmorappe (not his real name) has lied to you, and he knows it. I will explain the details to the best of my ability, if you wish.
False accusations will get you nowhere. You need to study the hydro-plate theory a little.

If I were you I would set a much higher standard than that. 'Remotely possible' is easy to demonstrate. All you have to do is look at the cell-like shapes fat molecules form when they join together in water, a simpler version of our fat molecules forming cell membranes, then all the complex molecules of life that form in space and arrive on earth carried on meteorites, including the bases that make up the genetic code. Then there are all the natural energy-generating systems such as sea-floor smokers giving out sulfur compounds, or natural proton gradients like the ones contained in cells today.
That may be one of the dumbest things that you've said yet. Meteorites are chunks of earth launched into space during the global flood.

Far from remotely possible, it looks quite likely that chemistry would produce a replicating system all on its own. From there, all you need is selection from a variety of forms for fitness in its environment. But as I wrote earlier, it's not likely to be observed today because any complex organisation of nutritionally good molecules will be lunch for some bacterium or other.
Your faith is amazing.

What does that mean?
I means that life is pretty easy to spot.

So, in other words, magic.
No more magic than your molecules to man story.

Stuu: Please list the different types of science you believe exist. Perhaps you could explain how they are different.
Does AiG have observational science writers and historical science writers? Of course not.
Non-sequitur... you poor lost soul. You're just floundering around in the dark.

Instead of misdirection, how about you actually DISCUSS those two types of science?

Can you tell me how the methods of these two types of science differ?
AGAIN you don't read what others post!

There are at least two:
THAT is the difference!

What are the differences in the way an observational scientist would work compared to an historical scientist?
If you cannot tell what the difference is between REPEATABILITY and NON-REPEATABILITY, then how do you expect me to discuss science with you?

Last edited:

Stuu

So you cannot tell the difference between living matter and dead matter? How can anyone have an intelligent discussion with you?
I can, and I explained it. Do you agree, so I can know whether we can communicate on mutual understanding?

"impression of life"? You are retarded.
I clearly am not retarded. What was that about having an intelligent conversation? Here you seem to be objecting to my view of what life is. So, don't be shy. Tell me what you disagree with.

All of my ancestors are human, nearly identical to humans today. Again, you have NO evidence that some of your ancestors were "small, shrew-like mammals".
I guess it depends what you mean by 'near identical'. If you compare the DNA of humans and chimpanzees they are certainly near to identical. But I guess you mean nearer identical than I do. So, what decides?

You say I have no evidence. That is wrong.

And then you conjecture that these elements are how the planets formed, even though there are insurmountable problems with that wild idea.
You seem to be placing strict limits on how your creator created.

Some more wild story telling without actual evidence. Keep up the good work.
You provided the evidence yourself. The planets have different composition. You could have added that the differences conform to a pattern.

Again, more wild story telling without ANY evidence.
Do you know what angular momentum is? It is the physical property that results in orbiting discs of gas and dust, and also results in a ballerina spinning faster when she pulls in her arms.

In a radio interview with Bob Enyart, Dr. Lawrence Krauss (a well known atheist theoretical physicist) agree with the 90% value... so you should OK with that number.
In the radio interview, if it's the same as the one I heard, Lawrence Krauss says that Mr. Enyart shouldn't accept anything he says. So I don't accept it on Lawrence Krauss's word because he told us not to!

Perhaps you should educate yourself on the effects of expanding and compressing quartz. About 27% of the granite crust is quartz.

Also, if the radioactive elements came from your distant star explosions, there should be lots of them in the core as they are much heavier elements than iron.
I'm not sure how compression or expansion of quartz is related to the question of how the solar system came to be as it is today, if that is what we are discussing.

The materials that make up the earth are distributed according to density. Iron metal is the densest bulk material, so that's at the core. Although uranium metal is much denser than iron, the uranium is not present in the form of its metal. The compounds in which uranium is found are materials that are less dense than iron, and also less dense than the silicate material of the mantle. Compounds of uranium will be mostly found in the crust.

The "closed system" required to give radiometric dating even the slightest chance of "working".
So are all the samples used to date the solar system exactly the same in the degree to which they are not 'closed'? Why then would they agree so well on a solar system that is over 4 billion years of age?

False accusations will get you nowhere.
It wasn't a false accusation. John Woodmorappe is mendacious in the extreme. But to understand why he is lying, you would have to understand why, and to what extent, beta decay is affected by ionisation state of the atom. All you read was 'billions of times', but it is a lie.

You need to study the hydro-plate theory a little.
What would you say is the most compelling aspect of this?

Meteorites are chunks of earth launched into space during the global flood.
There has never been a global flood. And there may be some meteorites that originated on the early earth, but we have meteorites that are from the surface of Mars, too. Whatever it is, meteorites definitely have all sorts of organic molecules on their surfaces, including the bases found in DNA. And not all meteorites are from earth. Organic chemistry is definitely happening in space.

Your faith is amazing.
Do you think faith is a bad thing?

I means that life is pretty easy to spot.
And it's easy to spot because reproduction is the key feature? Candle flames can reproduce themselves. Are they living too? Most biological definitions of life include things like MRS GREN, the processes of movement, reproduction, sensitivity, growth, extracting energy by respiration, excretion of wastes and the need for nutrition; because candle flames have all these characteristics, it's usually about cells too.

No more magic than your molecules to man story.
Since there is no proper scientific theory of molecules to cells, I am happy to call it magic for the time being, although it is really a set of hypotheses that are difficult to turn into a deduction about abiogenesis on this planet. I think in future it might be better understood. Cells to man is not magic, that is a proper scientific theory.

But the creationist answer to both phases is magic.

There are at least two:
THAT is the difference!
Well there is no science that is not repeatable. You seem to be assuming that because an historical event cannot be repeated exactly that it cannot be investigated in the same way as any other science. Most of the great science of history started with the observation of an event, followed by attempts to replicate the event with careful control of variables to establish a theory of what was going on. No matter how simple the event, or careful the control, the variables will never be the same on the repeat.

It's worth thinking about the work of forensic scientists at this point. I assume you would put them in the category of doing historical science. These scientists are gathering and interpreting evidence that is good enough for the high stakes of criminal trial. There are significant consequences of any mistakes they make. But what do forensic scientists actually do?

Forensic science makes models of what might have happened at, say, a crime scene. If the event involved the firing of a gun, they will already have information about how such guns behave, inferred from data collected in different situations involving the firing of that model of weapon. Or they might collect fresh data using the gun from the crime.

They then use this data to make a prediction (an inference) about how a gunshot would behave from a particular location in the scene, based on the pattern of evidence gathered at the scene. They may even build a replica scene and see if they can repeat the pattern of gunshot based on theory. And from that sort of science they deduce the most likely sequence of events.

What did Isaac Newton do in what you would call his 'observational science'? He observed that light forms a spread of colours when passed through a glass prism. Based on the fact that the light could be recombined into white light using a second prism, he deduced that white light is made up of a spectrum of coloured light, and inferred that this is how light will behave generally, not just in his study at Cambridge.

Think you can't reproduce evolution? It has been reproduced in fast-reproducing species. Think you can't reproduce the Big Bang? Firstly, the Large Hadron Collider can generate energies that correspond to the mathematical model of the Big Bang within a tiny fraction of a second of the very start, and provide evidence for that model. But with the Big Bang you can observe it yourself today. Turn on a radio to about 100MHz on the FM band, away from any stations. About 5% of the static you can hear is radiation coming to you from the beginning of the universe. Is that observational, or historical?

The two 'types' of scientist are carrying out the same actions based on exactly the same verbs. There is no difference between the two types of science you claim.

Stuart

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
I guess it depends what you mean by 'near identical'. If you compare the DNA of humans and chimpanzees they are certainly near to identical. But I guess you mean nearer identical than I do. So, what decides?

To use an example to make the point:

Neandertals are closer genetically to modern day humans than a chimp is to another chimp.

You say I have no evidence. That is wrong.

You don't have any evidence. Not because we say so, but because most of the evidence you put forth either doesn't support your position like you say it does and/or causes your position problems, and the rest has an alternate explanation that better fits the data and our position.

Genesis was pretty specific, and doesn't leave much room for interpretation (barring willful ignorance).

You provided the evidence yourself. The planets have different composition. You could have added that the differences conform to a pattern.

Do you know what angular momentum is? It is the physical property that results in orbiting discs of gas and dust, and also results in a ballerina spinning faster when she pulls in her arms.

Do you know what the law of conservation of angular momentum does to the planetary accretion disk model? It disproves it.

If we take into account the mass of the entire solar system, the sun has about 99% of the mass. According to the above law, the sun should also have, if the planetary accretion model is correct, 99% of the spin.

But it doesn't. The sun has 99% of the mass, but only about 1% of the spin of the solar system, whereas the reverse is true about the rest of the solar system, which has about 1% of the mass, but 99% of the spin. COMPLETELY OPPOSITE of what physics dictates. That means that the theory is falsified, and should be discarded.

But you can't even get that far, because basic physics dictates that when a gas is compressed, it heats up, causing it to expand.

You would NEVER (because of the laws of physics) get a cloud of dust to condense into a planet, because it would expand (especially in the vacuum of space) LONG before it ever condensed enough for gravity to have enough of an effect on surrounding particles.

I'm not sure how compression or expansion of quartz is related to the question of how the solar system came to be as it is today, if that is what we are discussing.

Compression of quartz causes a piezo-electric effect, which can, surprise surprise, strip electrons from elements, which can increase decay rates of radioactive elements a billion-fold. Compression of the earth's crust (on a massive scale) is exactly what happened (according to the HPT) during the Flood.

There's more to it than that, but that's the gist of the HPT explanation of the origin of radioactive elements.

You should study up on the HPT, because you're sorely lacking in knowledge of your opponents' position.

John Woodmorappe

Who?

There has never been a global flood.

Because you say so?

And there may be some meteorites that originated on the early earth,

To reiterate:

ALL meteorites/meteors, asteroids, planetoids (eg Ceres, Pluto, Charon, etc), were launched from earth during the flood described in Genesis 7-8.

but we have meteorites that are from the surface of Mars, too.

Which (if I remember correctly) are simply impact debris launched from the surface of Mars from meteorites which were launched from Earth during the Flood.

It wasn't just the Moon that got beat up from the Flood...

Side note: Mars's two moons, Phobos and Deimos, are BOTH asteroids that were captured by Mars after being launched from Earth during the Flood. (I ran a simulation using Universe Sandbox 2 and Solar System Simulator (or whatever it's called, both are on Steam), and as far as I can tell, one of them achieved Mars orbit some time this side of Christ's birth, death, burial, and resurrection. Don't remember exact dates, but I remember seeing it fly out of orbit of Mars while going backwards in time in the simulation) The Flood, by the way, happened around 3290 B.C., give or take about 100 years.

Whatever it is, meteorites definitely have all sorts of organic molecules on their surfaces, including the bases found in DNA.

That's because they came from Earth in the first place. Duh.

And not all meteorites are from earth.

True. But all ARE a result of what happened on the earth around 5300 years ago...

The only object to challenge that position is Oumuamua, but even NASA admits (and I'm still looking for the link, will update this post when I find it) the possibility that it had an elliptical orbit that was changed to a hyperbolic trajectory by the influence of a large TNO (trans-Neptunian object), which would allow even Oumuamua to fit into the HPT.

Organic chemistry is definitely happening in space.

:nono:
wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==
​ You've got it backwards (not surprising from someone who worships the creation rather than the Creator...).

Stuu, If the HPT is correct, it would perfectly explain why there is biological material in space.

Do you think faith is a bad thing?

Faith in unprovable and easily disproved beliefs is, especially when that faith is in something other than the Creator of the unverse.

God told His people to have evidence based faith. What YOU have, Stuart, is blind faith.

That is a bad thing.

Cells to man is not magic, that is a proper scientific theory.

Cells to man is wishful thinking that is a result of man's rebellion against God.

But the creationist answer . . . is magic.

Except it's not.

God is not a magician.

What did Isaac Newton do in what you would call his 'observational science'? He observed that light forms a spread of colours when passed through a glass prism. Based on the fact that the light could be recombined into white light using a second prism, he deduced that white light is made up of a spectrum of coloured light, and inferred that this is how light will behave generally, not just in his study at Cambridge.

Since you brought up Sir Isaac, what do you have to say about the following quote:

https://kgov.com/nebular-hypothesis-...eory-decimated

The Hypothesis of deriving the frame of the world by mechanical principles from matter eavenly spread through the heavens being inconsistent with my systeme, I had considered it very little before your letters put me upon it, & therefore trouble you with a line or two more about it if this come not too late for your use. In my former I {represented} that the diurnal rotations of the Planets could not be derived from gravity but required a divin{e} power to impress them. And tho gravity might give the Planets a motion of descent towards the Sun either directly or with some little obliquity, yet the transverse motions by which they revolve in their several orbs required the divine Arm to impress them according to the tangents of their orbs I would now add that the Hypothesis of matters being at first eavenly spread through the heavens is, in my opinion, inconsistent with the Hypothesis of innate gravity without a supernatural power to reconcile them, & therefore it infers a Deity. For if there be innate gravity its impossible now for the matter of the earth & all the Planets & stars to fly up from them & become eavenly spread throughout all the heavens without a supernatural power. & certainly that which can never be hereafter without a supernatural power could never be heretofore without the same power. – Isaac Newton

[Evolution] has been reproduced in fast-reproducing species.

Except it hasn't been.

But with the Big Bang you can observe it yourself today. Turn on a radio to about 100MHz on the FM band, away from any stations. About 5% of the static you can hear is radiation coming to you from the beginning of the universe.

Because you say (or some scientist says) so?

Sounds (pardon the pun) like question begging to me.

Last edited:

Right Divider

Body part
I don't put any limits on "how the Creator created". I simply let science speak for itself.

Not sure what you even mean there. The planets (and the solar system as a whole) do not conform to naturalistic explanations.

Indeed I do... and, apparently, you do not.

In the radio interview, if it's the same as the one I heard, Lawrence Krauss says that Mr. Enyart shouldn't accept anything he says. So I don't accept it on Lawrence Krauss's word because he told us not to!
Are you trying to make your most idiotic post yet?

It has nothing to do with "how the solar system came to be as it is today". It has to do with where radioactive heavy elements were created.

The materials that make up the earth are distributed according to density. Iron metal is the densest bulk material, so that's at the core. Although uranium metal is much denser than iron, the uranium is not present in the form of its metal.
Once again you show your complete ignorance.

Uranium is more than 4 times more dense than iron.

The compounds in which uranium is found are materials that are less dense than iron, and also less dense than the silicate material of the mantle. Compounds of uranium will be mostly found in the crust.
Which INVALIDATES the molten earth cooled from star stuff.

What would you say is the most compelling aspect of this?
I can only assume from this that you know nothing at all about it.

Stuu

Hello JR...
To use an example [of near identical DNA] to make the point: Neandertals are closer genetically to modern day humans than a chimp is to another chimp.
It's obvious that I could take as an example a pair of chimp twins (they do have them) which are literally genetically identical and compare that to the fact that people who have their DNA tested by some genealogy companies are given a 'percentage Neanderthal' figure for their genome, which is something like 1-4%. This 'Neanderthal DNA' is not in the DNA of modern Africans.

On the other hand, we could compare the diversity across the sub-species of chimpanzee, the Eastern chimpanzee (Pan troglodytes schweinfurthii), the Western chimpanzee (Pan troglodytes verus), the Central chimpanzee (Pan troglodytes troglodytes),the Nigeria-Cameroon chimpanzee (Pan troglodytes ellioti)and compare all of them with the bonobo (Pan paniscus). My understanding is that the relationship between Neanderthal and human is similar genetically to the relationship between bonobos and the other chimpanzees. Interbreeding is possible across these animals, just as it was with humans and Neanderthals.

All of the above species have genomes so close that the differences in base pairs are tiny compared to the size of the whole genome. Of course the localised differences are important to us, like the rapid changes since the divergence of chimps and humans in the so-called FOXP2 gene, which is important in the development of speech.

You don't have any evidence. Not because we say so, but because most of the evidence you put forth either doesn't support your position like you say it does and/or causes your position problems, and the rest has an alternate explanation that better fits the data and our position.
I would agree that you can say you have evidence of a creation process in the existence of everything around us. But there are three important differences, I think.

Firstly, many creationists don't appreciate the depth of explanation demanded by modern science now our techniques are this good. To be a better explanation for the evidence, you really need to be able to describe mechanisms in at least as much detail as modern science. What is the mechanism for the release of this trapped variation in a kind? I've asked, and no one has explained that. Meantime I am one of a few here who have explained in quite a bit of detail about how natural selection works on variation to produce speciation. With a scripture full of talking snakes and donkeys, humans from dirt, impossible boats floating on impossible floods, it is a Young Earth Creationist who still has all the details to actually explain. I appreciate some have made an effort, but frankly ideas like hydroplates are a joke given how much of the evidence they wilfully ignore.

Secondly, many creationists apparently fail to understand the concept contained in the word unambiguous. The existence of the universe and its contents is evidence for creation, but as you correctly say, that is not the only story to tell. It is ambiguous evidence. DNA is common to all life forms that we know. What is that evidence for? Is it unambiguous evidence for a creator? No, because it could be that there was a common ancestor of all things live today that was the first to have DNA. So, thinking about what is most likely, is it a fantastic coincidence that, independently, endogenous retroviruses, fossil morphology and molecular clock data each give the same tree of common ancestry? Or is it that we have inherited genomes, virus remains and anatomy through common ancestry across all life? This is unambiguous evidence for common ancestry. Creationists would need to explain the spectacular coincidences. I have never see this done. But let's go with the creationist model for a bit. I have been told that it is a matter of reusing code in different species, because that is good design. But then, why is it only some of the time that the same way is used, but not others? Science is about patterns, but there is no pattern in this description, nothing on which you could hang a theory or make a prediction. On this topic, I would say the creationist model loses easily on your criterion of a better explanation.

Thirdly, why don't scientists mine religious texts for new insights? I'd say the reason is that the religious texts have no predictive power yet discovered. In fact they contain nothing really surprising at all. If there was a passage in the Jewish bible that said something like 'wash your hands because there are things too small to see that can cause you to be sick' then I would have to seriously rethink. There are certainly hand-washing rituals in there, but they do not match what you would specifically do to avoid contamination. Perhaps it is ancient scientific observation that showed washing helps, but with no understanding of why. You can take modern science and reinterpret the bible, but you can't take the bible and create any new science. That's what 'creation scientists' should do for the general good, isn't it? But they never have been able to do that.

Genesis was pretty specific, and doesn't leave much room for interpretation (barring willful ignorance).
I have been insulted for not, maybe wilfully, understanding 'spreading out the heavens' (which occurs in several different places in scripture). Can you tell me what predictive power this statement has? If I was an ancient Jew, what should I have been able to know about modern scientific understanding from this phrase?

Do you know what the law of conservation of angular momentum does to the planetary accretion disk model? It disproves it.

If we take into account the mass of the entire solar system, the sun has about 99% of the mass. According to the above law, the sun should also have, if the planetary accretion model is correct, 99% of the spin.

But it doesn't. The sun has 99% of the mass, but only about 1% of the spin of the solar system, whereas the reverse is true about the rest of the solar system, which has about 1% of the mass, but 99% of the spin. COMPLETELY OPPOSITE of what physics dictates. That means that the theory is falsified, and should be discarded.
Can you please show me, perhaps in a formula, how 'spin' (I'm not sure what you mean by that) is related to angular momentum? Or give me a formula that relates the concept of 'spin' to other fundamental quantities?

But you can't even get that far, because basic physics dictates that when a gas is compressed, it heats up, causing it to expand.

You would NEVER (because of the laws of physics) get a cloud of dust to condense into a planet, because it would expand (especially in the vacuum of space) LONG before it ever condensed enough for gravity to have enough of an effect on surrounding particles.
The model of planetary accretion does not involve a 'condensing' mechanism. It is a particle collision and accumulation mechanism. May I ask who is feeding you misinformation like this?

Compression of quartz causes a piezo-electric effect, which can, surprise surprise, strip electrons from elements, which can increase decay rates of radioactive elements a billion-fold.
I hope you understand that my attitude is not to patronise (although I'm sure it comes across that way at times) but to make sure creationists have good information. So, I'm sorry to tell you that, again, you have been lied to. It is true that scientists have managed to use a very large particle accelerator to strip all 75 electrons off a rhenium atom to find out what effect that would have on beta decay rates.

And because beta emission involves the nucleus spitting out an electron, the energy (and therefore the likelihood of success for any ambitious nuclear electron) depends somewhat on what electrons in the shells on the outside are repelling that electron back into the nucleus. If there are no electrons orbiting at all, then a low-energy orbit is vacant for that electron to jump into easily. If all 75 electrons are present, then the electron has to climb past six shells of repulsion to escape. There are two different beta decay mechanisms, which are slightly different, which I could explain if you wish me to try.

Pick any heavy radionuclide you like: it has not been in a severely ionising high-energy particle accelerator just prior to having its isotope ratios measured. To continue with rhenium as the example, when considering electrons being lost, it is the chemistry of the rhenium and its compounds that is relevant. Do you know how many electrons are lost by rhenium in the most extreme examples? Seven. Not 75. No piezoelectric or chemically ionising effect will remove more than seven electrons from rhenium.

Next, as a beta emitter, rhenium is an exception among radioisotopes used in dating as it has an extremely low beta decay energy. This makes it a bit of a freak of an example.

So, the science of this involves understanding that beta decay rates change somewhat with ionic charge in rhenium. In general, ionic charge differences cause less than a 1% difference in decay rates. The creationist version has a billions of times different claim based on a freak form of a freak example that never exists anywhere, except in a laboratory. Further, that version paints scientists as idiots, as if they don't know to calibrate for the ionic charge on the ions being measured.

Compression of the earth's crust (on a massive scale) is exactly what happened (according to the HPT) during the Flood. There's more to it than that, but that's the gist of the HPT explanation of the origin of radioactive elements. You should study up on the HPT, because you're sorely lacking in knowledge of your opponents' position.
That would be a fair criticism, and one I apply myself to creationists quite often. I have read some material about what you call hydroplates, and it failed to explain how the Himalayas stay up, as one example. But tell me what book or online resource you think I should be familiar with. The last creationist book I read (a while ago, now) was Bones of Contention by Marvin Lubenow, about human fossil remains and his interpretation of them. The first chapter was quite good, a kind of expose of international intrigue concerning scientific tribalism. The rest was quite bad. I'm no kind of expert in palaeontology but even I could have shown him which evidence he was intentionally ignoring that contradicted his case. So, not all plain sailing, but you see I am willing to try!

Stuu: John Woodmorappe
Indeed! Who?! Right Divider swears by Answers in Genesis, and it is their writer, John Woodmorappe under whose (not real) name the rhenium decay rate paper is turned into a massive lie.

Because you say so?
No. You should not take my word for anything.
To reiterate:

ALL meteorites/meteors, asteroids, planetoids (eg Ceres, Pluto, Charon, etc), were launched from earth during the flood described in Genesis 7-8.
I'll just interrupt to comment that none of these interplanetary bodies, or their types, are mentioned in Genesis 7 or 8. It does not mention, as far as I can see, any launching of anything solid, apart from one boat. So should I assume that you have deduced this claim? In which case I would ask if you have evidence to support it. I would suggest data that compares isotope ratios, but you seem to have discounted the reliability of that sort of thing, which seems to be a case of shooting yourself in the foot.

Stuu: but we have meteorites that are from the surface of Mars, too.
Which (if I remember correctly) are simply impact debris launched from the surface of Mars from meteorites which were launched from Earth during the Flood.

It wasn't just the Moon that got beat up from the Flood...
Well the moon is a great deal closer than Mars. Once you have reached the orbit of the space station you have about half the energy needed to escape earth's gravity field altogether, so if a rock can make it that far it's not an energy problem. But you can see it is an inverse square problem: if you have ejecta from earth spreading out through space, the percentage of the moon's load equivalent that would hit Mars would be tiny. And if we are judging the damage to the moon by its crater markings, I'd say there would be pretty much nothing landing on Mars from earth by any direct launch like that. Mars rocks can't realistically have got here because of blasting by earth rocks.

You will appreciate, of course, that the point of knowing your opponent's arguments runs both ways this time, too. Have you an opinion about the calculations that show that this much material being launched into space would, by Newton's and others' laws, cause life on earth to be boiled to death?

Side note: Mars's two moons, Phobos and Deimos, are BOTH asteroids that were captured by Mars after being launched from Earth during the Flood. (I ran a simulation using Universe Sandbox 2 and Solar System Simulator (or whatever it's called, both are on Steam), and as far as I can tell, one of them achieved Mars orbit some time this side of Christ's birth, death, burial, and resurrection. Don't remember exact dates, but I remember seeing it fly out of orbit of Mars while going backwards in time in the simulation) The Flood, by the way, happened around 3290 B.C., give or take about 100 years.
I don't know much about how one goes about setting up Sandbox, but if you told it that the universe is only a few thousand years old, that would do it. I do admire you running simulations though, rather than just saying goddidit, like so many others do here!

You will also be familiar with the arguments against a recent global flood. Patterns in dendrochronology, single-handedly, disprove a flood in the last 9000 years or so, and ice core annual counting confirms that back to 800,000 years of no global flooding. No isotopes required here, just the ability to recognise a seasonal layer and count it. And I would reject claims that scientists can't tell an annual layer when they see one.

That's because they came from Earth in the first place. Duh.
Stuu: And not all meteorites are from earth.
Well then?
But all ARE a result of what happened on the earth around 5300 years ago...

The only object to challenge that position is Oumuamua, but even NASA admits (and I'm still looking for the link, will update this post when I find it) the possibility that it had an elliptical orbit that was changed to a hyperbolic trajectory by the influence of a large TNO (trans-Neptunian object), which would allow even Oumuamua to fit into the HPT.
And could I derive all this for myself from reading scripture? Scripture warns you about tedious genealogies, at the same time as it lays out tedious genealogies. Is it right to be using genealogies to calculate dates?!

Seriously, if you have this written in book/website form, share the reference.

Stuu: Organic chemistry is definitely happening in space.
You've got it backwards (not surprising from someone who worships the creation rather than the Creator...).

Stuu, If the HPT is correct, it would perfectly explain why there is biological material in space.
There are organic molecules in interstellar space 27,000 light years away. How could they have got there from earth in 5300 years if the light coming from them has been traveling for 27,000 years?

Faith in unprovable and easily disproved beliefs is, especially when that faith is in something other than the Creator of the unverse.

God told His people to have evidence based faith. What YOU have, Stuart, is blind faith. That is a bad thing.
But the definition of faith in Romans is the evidence of the unseen. How do you interpret that? You still have to have faith that your one choice is the right one, before you then express faith in that one thing.

I don't think I have faith in anything. I do trust people and ideas, but trust is based on evidence, not on what Romans says faith is. You could change my view with unambiguous evidence. How would I change your view?

Cells to man is wishful thinking that is a result of man's rebellion against God.
I think that is rather a dangerous position for a god-fearing person to take. What if you are not supposed to use the book, but your god-given brain instead? What if your god is sitting there lamenting the obvious? What have you made of that talent? Why do you object, on prejudicial interpretation of ancient writing, to the honest efforts of other humans with god-given brains? Is it the contents of that book which makes you so cynical?

I don't know what a god is. But I do know what DNA differences are, and endogenous retroviruses, and isotope dating, and tree-ring counting, and ice core layer counting, and fossil morphology are. And I know what they say. But I can see that you have decided an ancient book is absolute. That leads you to believe in magical mountain ranges. I don't understand how that is science.

Since you brought up Sir Isaac, what do you have to say about the following quote:

https://kgov.com/nebular-hypothesis-...eory-decimated The Hypothesis of deriving the frame of the world by mechanical principles from matter eavenly spread through the heavens being inconsistent with my systeme, I had considered it very little before your letters put me upon it, & therefore trouble you with a line or two more about it if this come not too late for your use. In my former I {represented} that the diurnal rotations of the Planets could not be derived from gravity but required a divin{e} power to impress them. And tho gravity might give the Planets a motion of descent towards the Sun either directly or with some little obliquity, yet the transverse motions by which they revolve in their several orbs required the divine Arm to impress them according to the tangents of their orbs I would now add that the Hypothesis of matters being at first eavenly spread through the heavens is, in my opinion, inconsistent with the Hypothesis of innate gravity without a supernatural power to reconcile them, & therefore it infers a Deity. For if there be innate gravity its impossible now for the matter of the earth & all the Planets & stars to fly up from them & become eavenly spread throughout all the heavens without a supernatural power. & certainly that which can never be hereafter without a supernatural power could never be heretofore without the same power. – Isaac Newton
It is interesting to read Newton trying to use logic in the absence of good evidence. Can I take it you have also read the crazy alchemy that Newton promoted?

Stuu: Evolution has been reproduced in fast-reproducing species.
Except it hasn't been.
I think you know what the opposing view is on this one. But tell me if you really don't.

Because you say (or some scientist says) so?
No, Nullus In Verba, as the Royal Society's motto puts it. And indeed as Lawrence Krauss mentioned in his radio interview. Observe, construct a model (like creationist never do) and test its predictions. This is especially powerful if the model is made before the predicted evidence is discovered (like creationism never does in any useful detail).

1948: Big Bang cosmology modeled, and the Cosmic Microwave Background predicted (although a wrong temperature predicted due to a wrong Hubble constant, but the model was right)

1964: Cosmic Microwave Background accidentally discovered. Model confirmed.

Stuart

Apologies to readers who have worn out their scroll wheels reading such a long reply...

Right Divider

Body part
Can you please show me, perhaps in a formula, how 'spin' (I'm not sure what you mean by that) is related to angular momentum? Or give me a formula that relates the concept of 'spin' to other fundamental quantities?
The VERY first thing that JR said about "spin" was the law of conservation of angular momentum.
Please tell us: Are you being dumb or dishonest in your "dialog"?

The model of planetary accretion does not involve a 'condensing' mechanism. It is a particle collision and accumulation mechanism. May I ask who is feeding you misinformation like this?
You should try to learn about the model that you're trying to defend.
The "condensing" mechanism in YOUR model is GRAVITY.

Last edited:

Stuu

Not sure what you even mean there. The planets (and the solar system as a whole) do not conform to naturalistic explanations.
Am I taking your word for that, or do you have an evidence-based reason for it?

Indeed I do [know what angular momentum is]... and, apparently, you do not.
Do you have an explanation for what I got wrong?

It has nothing to do with "how the solar system came to be as it is today". It has to do with where radioactive heavy elements were created.
Well we know where they are created because we can see them being created in supernovas. Not sure what the problem is here.

Once again you show your complete ignorance. Uranium is more than 4 times more dense than iron.
Can I take it you have divided 238.03 by 55.845 to get a ratio of 1:4?

Density is not mass, it is the ratio of mass/volume. So, you need to divide each number by the volumes of each atom. And then you will get the wrong answer, because, unlike the iron in the crust, the iron in the core is not combined with other elements, so you have to include the masses and volumes of the other elements joined to uranium, which in the case of the mineral uranite is between two and three oxygens for each uranium atom. And then you still get the wrong answer because you need to know the crystal structure of the actual uranium compounds in question.

Measurements of densities of uranium compounds include 3.9 g/cm3 for uranophane, a uranium silicate, 3.7 g/cm3 for zippeite, a potassium uranium sulfate, and the uranium-rich becquerelite at 5.2 g/cm3. So if you compare them with iron, at 7.87g/cm3 you see that iron is denser. But then there is uranite, which comes in at up to 10.9 g/cm3 so that is denser. But it would be a mistake not to include chemical factors.

There will be little uranium in the core, even though one of its ores is slightly denser than iron, because it is chemically excluded from metallic iron as metallic iron tends to exclude other minerals in favour of iron-to-iron bonding, which is stronger. We also know that the concentration of uranium in the upper mantle is much lower than in the continental crust, because magma from the mantle rises in mid-oceanic ridges, solidifies, moves sideways towards subduction zones then undergoes re-melting, and since the uranium compounds tend to prefer inclusion in the solid part left as subduction happens, effectively uranium is depleted from the upper mantle and concentrated in the continental crust.

I think I am beginning to guess the problem of uranium distribution now. It's about the hydroplates and the flying debris, isn't it.

Which INVALIDATES the molten earth cooled from star stuff.
Oh right, well I guessed wrong.

I thought you were going to say that there is a problem with the fact that you believe the meteorites landing on the earth came from the earth to begin with, but those meteorites have a uranium content that matches neither the oceanic crust (too low) nor the continental crust (far too high), so the meteorites really can't have come from any surface of the earth.

But instead you have given me a conclusion that I don't understand at all. What are you saying is invalid? How does the distribution of uranium/radioactivity have anything to do with it? Please explain.

I can only assume from this that you know nothing at all about it.
Should I assume that you don't find any of it compelling enough to tell me about?

Stuart

Stuu

The VERY first thing that JR said about "spin" was the law of conservation of angular momentum. Please tell us: Are you being dumb or dishonest in your "dialog"?
I thought I was being kind. But, to be blunt, what JR posted is so poorly communicated as to be worthless. It does not say what claim about planetary accretion is in question and it doesn't say what the problem with it is. The difficulty is compounded by not differentiating between the angular momentum of the orbiting particles and the angular momentum of the spin of each particle or body.

But here is somewhere to start moving the problem forwards: angular momentum is not just about the amount of mass, it is about the distribution of the mass relative to the centre of gravity and/or the centre of orbit. There may be only 1% of the mass that isn't in the sun, but look at how fast it is orbiting, and how far away it is. I don't think JudgeRightly has analysed this so-called problem properly. Do you?

You should try to learn about the model that you're trying to defend.
The "condensing" mechanism in YOUR model is GRAVITY.
You're thinking of star formation, not planetary accretion. Accretion is not formation by gravitational attraction. Most of the accumulation is from the high-energy collision of solid particles in similar orbits. The collisions cause the material to melt. Once the orbiting glob is big enough it may attract in more distant particles by gravity, clearing that orbital path, but it is still a collision model.

If you doubt this model then think about why there might be a belt of asteroids between Mars and Jupiter, where the large gravitational effect of Jupiter has prevented accretion going any further than asteroid-sized lumps.

Stuart

Right Divider

Body part
Am I taking your word for that, or do you have an evidence-based reason for it?

Do you have an explanation for what I got wrong?
The spinning star dust origin of the solar system fails due to the laws of physics. JR explained one of the clear indications of that issue with the "spin" of the sun.

Start here for a little help: http://www.creationscience.com/onlinebook/AstroPhysicalSciences3.html

Well we know where they are created because we can see them being created in supernovas. Not sure what the problem is here.
The problems are MANY, but you won't listen or cannot understand. If the earth was a molten ball with all of these elements present in the "star dust cloud", then the heavy radioactive elements should be found fairy evenly distributed in both the crust and the mantle. They are NOT.

Density is not mass, it is the ratio of mass/volume. So, you need to divide each number by the volumes of each atom. And then you will get the wrong answer, because, unlike the iron in the crust, the iron in the core is not combined with other elements, so you have to include the masses and volumes of the other elements joined to uranium, which in the case of the mineral uranite is between two and three oxygens for each uranium atom. And then you still get the wrong answer because you need to know the crystal structure of the actual uranium compounds in question.
For Uranium:
19.1 g/cm3

Density (near r.t.)
when liquid (at m.p.)

For Iron:
7.874 g/cm3

Density (near r.t.)
when liquid (at m.p.)

So YES... uranium is MUCH more dense the iron.

Note that, based on the theory that you're trying to support, uranium should be fairly evenly distributed in the crust of the earth. It is not.

Last edited:

Right Divider

Body part
I thought I was being kind. But, to be blunt, what JR posted is so poorly communicated as to be worthless. It does not say what claim about planetary accretion is in question and it doesn't say what the problem with it is. The difficulty is compounded by not differentiating between the angular momentum of the orbiting particles and the angular momentum of the spin of each particle or body.

But here is somewhere to start moving the problem forwards: angular momentum is not just about the amount of mass, it is about the distribution of the mass relative to the centre of gravity and/or the centre of orbit. There may be only 1% of the mass that isn't in the sun, but look at how fast it is orbiting, and how far away it is. I don't think JudgeRightly has analysed this so-called problem properly. Do you?

You're thinking of star formation, not planetary accretion. Accretion is not formation by gravitational attraction. Most of the accumulation is from the high-energy collision of solid particles in similar orbits. The collisions cause the material to melt. Once the orbiting glob is big enough it may attract in more distant particles by gravity, clearing that orbital path, but it is still a collision model.

If you doubt this model then think about why there might be a belt of asteroids between Mars and Jupiter, where the large gravitational effect of Jupiter has prevented accretion going any further than asteroid-sized lumps.

Stuart
Your story of the formation of the asteroid belt is as wrong as the rest of your story.

http://www.creationscience.com/onlin...steroids2.html

Last edited:

Stuu

The spinning star dust origin of the solar system fails due to the laws of physics. JR explained one of the clear indications of that issue with the "spin" of the sun. Start here for a little help: http://www.creationscience.com/onlin...Sciences3.html
Well thanks for the link. On that page, we get these 'should' statements:

If the planets and their known moons evolved from the same material, they should have many similarities.
Obviously not. The materials that make up the terrestrial planets are different to those which make up the gas giants because the accreting particles need to be solid. Iron and its oxides, and silicates are solid near the sun, but gases are only condensed and capable of accretion far from the sun.

All planets in our solar system should spin in the same direction
If planets and moons evolved from swirling dust clouds as is commonly taught, each of the almost 200 known moons in the solar system should orbit its planet in the same direction as the planet spins
Not necessarily. Collisions between bodies can reverse the direction of spin or even the direction of orbit without violating the conservation of angular momentum. It would be quite surprising if planetary accretion, which involves large numbers of high-energy collisions, did not give a range of different directions of spin and orientation.

The orbit of each of these moons should lie very near the equatorial plane of the planet it orbits.
For planets close to their star this is generally true because the direction of the star's gravity is in the equatorial plane, and the star's gravity tends to dominate through tidal effects. The outer planets have moons that should align with whatever the planet's equatorial plane is because the planet's gravity dominates rather than the sun. So, despite this claim of should, the planets behave as you would expect.

The orbital planes of the planets should lie in the equatorial plane of the Sun.
Why should they? If early collisions and ongoing perturbations cause objects to have different inclinations to the ecliptic then so what? That doesn't violate conservation of momentum. The fact that they are so close shows how they formed.

The Sun should have about 700 times more angular momentum than all its planets combined. Instead, the planets have 50 times more angular momentum than the Sun.
Firstly, we are not in a solar system that has just formed. Our star is four and a half billion years old, about half way through its main sequence. So whatever perfect creationist calculation has put a 'should' on those figures is making claims about a solar system that no longer exists.

Secondly, if the claim is that this difference in angular momentum in some way disproves the planetary accretion model, well we can short-circuit to the fact that in the past couple of years we have been watching exoplanets forming from protoplanetary discs around stars similar to our own.

All this means that the so-called 'problem' of the difference in angular momentum between the sun and the orbiting masses is not a problem for the accretion model but actually a 'problem' of what happens to a star's angular momentum during and after planetary accretion and into its main sequence. How does the angular momentum of falling particles get transferred to the orbiting ones during accretion? Probably by magnetic interaction with ionised particles. What causes the slowing down of the rotation of the sun that we observe still going on today? Likely the drag caused by the interaction between the sun's magnetic field and the ionised solar wind being constantly ejected. It's not a lot of mass but it's a big effect. How much of the orbiting mass of the solar system has been lost since planetary formation? In what stellar environment did the original nebula exist before everything kicked off? Was it a cluster of stars? 1000, or 10,000? What 'binary star' effects might the proximity of these stars had on the original angular momentum contained in the nebula?

It's a bit like abiogenesis, isn't it. Lots of plausible mechanisms, difficult to acquire the evidence to pin down the exact combination of factors in play. But from my reading of it, a vast amount has been sorted out in the past 60 years or so. Maybe you should start a thread on this question. It's far more interesting that arguing about a recent global flood that had been disproved over and over and over.

If the earth was a molten ball with all of these elements present in the "star dust cloud", then the heavy radioactive elements should be found fairy evenly distributed in both the crust and the mantle. They are NOT.
How do you think the earth got to have a crust, mantle and core? Why is the iron not evenly distributed? Why should the radioactive isotopes be evenly distributed if little else is? I refer you to the effects I described back in #490. That gives you the mechanism by which uranium is removed from oceanic crust and concentrated in continental crust. If my explanation there was not clear enough, please tell me you would like me to have another go.
So YES... uranium is MUCH more dense the iron.
Sure, uranium metal is much more dense than iron. But as I explained to you, that is not relevant to what happens in the earth, because uranium is not found naturally as the metal, whereas iron is present in the core as metal.

Stuart

Right Divider

Body part
Well thanks for the link.
You're welcome.

On that page, we get these 'should' statements:

Obviously not. The materials that make up the terrestrial planets are different to those which make up the gas giants because the accreting particles need to be solid. Iron and its oxides, and silicates are solid near the sun, but gases are only condensed and capable of accretion far from the sun.
The "should" is based on your hypothesis. Why are the "materials different"? They're all the same materials from a distant star explosion, remember?

Why do "accreting particles need to be solid"? Your hypothesis is full of holes.

Not necessarily. Collisions between bodies can reverse the direction of spin or even the direction of orbit without violating the conservation of angular momentum. It would be quite surprising if planetary accretion, which involves large numbers of high-energy collisions, did not give a range of different directions of spin and orientation.
A collision strong enough to reverse the direction of spin would far more likely push the planet out of orbit or destroy it completely. The planets orbiting the sun are in a very delicate balance.

For planets close to their star this is generally true because the direction of the star's gravity is in the equatorial plane, and the star's gravity tends to dominate through tidal effects. The outer planets have moons that should align with whatever the planet's equatorial plane is because the planet's gravity dominates rather than the sun. So, despite this claim of should, the planets behave as you would expect.
More bluff and bluster on your part.

Why should they? If early collisions and ongoing perturbations cause objects to have different inclinations to the ecliptic then so what? That doesn't violate conservation of momentum. The fact that they are so close shows how they formed.
Once again, these collisions would not have the affects that you dream of. They would push planets out of orbit or demolish them.

Firstly, we are not in a solar system that has just formed. Our star is four and a half billion years old, about half way through its main sequence. So whatever perfect creationist calculation has put a 'should' on those figures is making claims about a solar system that no longer exists.
You still have no handle on the physics of a rotation of the gas cloud. As the mass gravitated to the center of the solar system to form the sun.... the sun would have KEPT 99% of the rotational energy. BUT since the diameter of the sun would have shrunk, the spin rate would have to INCREASE due to the law of conservation of angular momentum.

Secondly, if the claim is that this difference in angular momentum in some way disproves the planetary accretion model, well we can short-circuit to the fact that in the past couple of years we have been watching exoplanets forming from protoplanetary discs around stars similar to our own.
Fantasy.

Ignored the rest... too silly.

How do you think the earth got to have a crust, mantle and core?
God created it. A molten earth would NOT have a granite crust. Granite is non-igneous.

Why is the iron not evenly distributed?
It's not a radioactive element, so is not part of the discussion of why the radioactive elements are found primarily in the crust and not elsewhere.

Last edited:

7djengo7

This space intentionally left blank
1856: 22 million years (Van Helmholtz)
1862: 20 million years (William Thomson, Lord Kelvin)
1892: 18 million years (Newcomb)
1890s: 56 million years (George Darwin)
1895: 2 to 3 billion years (Perry)
1897: 20 million to 40 million years, but closer to 20 million (Lord Kelvin)
1899: 80 million to 100 million years at least (Joly)
1907: 410 million to 2.2 billion years (Boltwood)
1927: 1.6 billion to 3.0 billion years (Arthur Holmes)
1956: 4.55 ± 0.07 billion years (Patterson)

Nice, succinct way of demonstrating the rank stupidity and irrationality of what you call "science", and that it has nothing to do with truth and logical thinking.

As you've showcased, here, each one of these guys, by his "scientific evidence", affirms what he affirms in stark contrariety to what is affirmed, respectively, by each one of the others. Which (if any) one of those claims you listed would you say is the truth? Of course, being all contraries of one another, no more than one of them could be true, which means that you've just handed us a list of at least nine (and really, ten) falsehoods provided by what you call "science". And yet, according to the stupidity and irrationality you call "science" and "the scientific method", each of these falsehoods you've listed is "supported" by "scientific evidence". So, your doctrine of evidence is worse than useless: according to you, and your fellow champions of the stupidity you call "science", evidence can, and does, support falsehood--and much falsehood, at that. Knock yourself out, then, in "following the evidence wherever it leads". Were you not the hypocrite that you are, you'd put your money where your mouth is, and you'd start professing that you are constrained by "scientific evidence" to simultaneously believe each and every one of the ten, mutually contrary, and false--but supported by "scientific evidence"--propositions you have handed out:
  1. The earth is 22 million years old.
  2. The earth is 20 million years old.
  3. The earth is 18 million years old.
  4. The earth is 56 million years old.
  5. The earth is 2 to 3 billion years old.
  6. The earth is 20 million to 40 million years old.
  7. The earth is 80 million to 100 million years old.
  8. The earth is 410 million to 2.2 billion years old.
  9. The earth is 1.6 billion to 3.0 billion years old.
  10. The earth is 4.55 ± 0.07 billion years old.

Stuu

The "should" is based on your hypothesis. Why are the "materials different"? They're all the same materials from a distant star explosion, remember? Why do "accreting particles need to be solid"? Your hypothesis is full of holes.
And the material of interstellar hydrogen. I remember explaining this already. Attempt 2: gas is dispered by its own internal pressure. But let's say you had two little balls of gas crash into one another. How are they going to trap one another and coalesce into any kind of accreted object? They're not. On the other hand, collide several small solid lumps together at high enough speed you will get a transfer of kinetic energy of orbit to thermal energy which will fuse together those solid particles.

So it's a matter of what is solid at each distance from the sun. Only the iron, nickel, iron oxides, silicates and so forth were solid closer to the proto-star. The rest is gas. Further away, more of the matter is solid because it's colder so it's not only those same elements and compounds, but also the 'gases' are cold enough to be liquids or solids, so you get gas giant planets with lots of the 'gases' but relatively small amounts of the metals and their compounds.

A collision strong enough to reverse the direction of spin would far more likely push the planet out of orbit or destroy it completely.
And maybe exactly that happened many times. But I would be interested to see your calculation for this claim.

The planets orbiting the sun are in a very delicate balance.
The planets behave as predicted by principles of physics. 'Very delicate balance' would be your opinion.

More bluff and bluster on your part.
But you aren't going to tell me what is wrong with it, right?

Once again, these collisions would not have the affects that you dream of. They would push planets our of orbit or demolish them.
This seems to be a common theme in creationism. If you don't like the mechanism that causes an observed phenomenon, just claim that it would destroy everything, no matter what scales of force or energy or momentum transfer it involves. It's like every ungodly car is a Ford Pinto!

By the way, you will appreciate that one of the arguments against the hydroplate hypothesis is that the Newton's First Law forces from pushing a significant percentage of the earth's mass into space would produce enough energy to easily boil to death all life on earth. That's just as apocalyptic a scenario as you are trying here, but the difference is the boiling alive conclusion is supported by physics.

Obviously a force just able to nudge the angle to the ecliptic of earth's orbit by 1% (an extremely large force) is not going to destroy the earth.

You still have no handle on the physics of a rotation of the gas cloud. As the mass gravitated to the center of the solar system to form the sun.... the sun would have KEPT 99% of the rotational energy. BUT since the diameter of the sun would have shrunk, the spin rate would have to INCREASE due to the law of conservation of angular momentum.
Maybe, or maybe not. Magnetically-mediated transfer of the momentum of those falling particles to matter orbiting further out would reduce that. But what does that have to do with the current observed state of the angular momentums of the slowing sun and non-slowing solar system?

This is not an artist's impression, or a computer simulation, it's an actual photograph of planets forming from a protoplanetary nebula around HL Tauri:
eso1436a.jpg

Ignored the rest... too silly.
Maybe I should say the same about the hydroplates video. That's not my intention, though. By the way I have not watched the video at the bottom of this latest post, as I am still forcing myself to watch the comets and other things one. It's not nearly as entertaining as I had hoped it would be. Usually creationism is hilarious, but in this case his voice is dull and earnest as he reels off his Gish Gallop. What happened to the dreamy sunsets and goofy voiceovers?

God created it. A molten earth would NOT have a granite crust. Granite is non-igneous.
Now I'm really confused. Your god created it. But it would not have a granite crust? So why is the continental crust mostly granite with a molten mantle below it? And how is granite not igneous??

It's not a radioactive element, so is not part of the discussion of why the radioactive elements are found primarily in the crust and not elsewhere.
If the core is iron, then it definitely is at the centre of the discussion of why radioactive elements are not very abundant in the core.

Stuart