Why does the Law tell us what we shouldn't do? Shouldn't it also tell us what we

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Why does the Law tell us what we shouldn't do? Shouldn't it also tell us what we should do?

Well, there are positive commandments, what we should do, and negative commandments, prohibitions, what we should not do.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
You shall love Yahveh your God with all your heart, with all of your soul, and with all of your might, strength, means, resources.

You shall love your neighbor as yourself.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
You shall not have any other gods before Him.

You shall not make or create a graven image, a statue, an idol.

Do not take Yahveh's name in vain.

You shall remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy.

Honor your Father and your Mother.

You shall not murder. You shall not kill.

You shall not commit adultery. You shall not sleep with another man's wife.

You shall not steal. Do not become a thief.

You shall not bear false witness.

Do not covet your neighbor's wife or anything that belongs to your neighbor.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
SHEMOS 20:1-14
1 God spoke all these statements, saying :
2 I am HASHEM, your God, Who has taken you out of the land of Egypt, from the house of slavery.
3 You shall not recognize the gods of others in My presence.
4 You shall not make yourself a carved image nor any likeness of that which is in the heavens above or on the earth below or in the water beneath the earth.
5 You shall not prostrate yourself to them nor worship them, for I am HASHEM, your God - a jealous God, Who visits the sin of fathers upon children to the third and fourth generations, for My enemies;
6 but Who shows kindness for thousands [of generations] to those who love Me and observe My commandments.
7 You shall not take the Name of HASHEM, your God, in vain, for HASHEM will not absolve anyone who takes His Name in vain.
8 Remember the Sabbath day to sanctify it.
9 Six days shall you work and accomplish all your work;
10 but the seventh day is Sabbath to HASHEM, your God; you shall not do any work - you, your son, your daughter, your slave, your maidservant, your animal, and your convert within your gates -
11 for in six days HASHEM made the heavens and the earth, the sea and all that is in them, and He rested on the seventh day. Therefore, HASHEM blessed the Sabbath day and sanctified it.
12 Honor your father and your mother, so that your days will be lengthened upon the land that HASHEM, your God, gives you.
13 You shall not kill; you shall not commit adultery; you shall not steal; you shall not bear false witness against your fellow.
14 You shall not covet your fellow's house. You shall not covet your fellow's wife, his manservant, his maidservant, his ox, his donkey, nor anything that belongs to your fellow.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
You shall love Yahveh your God with all your heart, with all of your soul, and with all of your might, strength, means, resources.

You shall love your neighbor as yourself.
"Why doesn't the law tell us what we should do?"

Because as Paul says, the law is only for those who are wicked.

Also, because you cannot compel someone to love.

Truster

"Why doesn't the law tell us what we should do?"

Because as Paul says, the law is only for those who are wicked.

Also, because you cannot compel someone to love.

"We love because He first loved us". Compelling enough I'd say, but then again He turned my enmity into adoration and so I have the experience of the quickening power. I also know for an absolute fact that I didn't quicken myself.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
"We love because He first loved us". Compelling enough I'd say, but then again He turned my enmity into adoration and so I have the experience of the quickening power. I also know for an absolute fact that I didn't quicken myself.

What about that verse says that love can be compelled?