Why Believe in a god?

6days

P.Z.Meyers is a leading promoter of the atheist belief system. He says that because you Christians are unable to answer basic questions; atheism is end result.

God's Word tells us to "always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect
God's Word tells us." So..... lets see if Christians can answer P.Z.Meyers questions...

Question, and statement 1
Why should I believe in any god? We don't need an intelligent authority to explain the universe..

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
P.Z.Meyers is a leading promoter of the atheist belief system. He says that because you Christians are unable to answer basic questions; atheism is end result.

God's Word tells us to "always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect
God's Word tells us." So..... lets see if Christians can answer P.Z.Meyers questions...

Question, and statement 1
Why should I believe in any god? We don't need an intelligent authority to explain the universe..
Psalm 19:1-2 KJV - Job 38:31-33 NIV -

It is absolutely impossible for this planet to exist and be so perfect for us without a divine Creator -

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Your incredulity and poor education is not very convincing. Sorry.

Isn't that generally an argument against god? How would it even be a reason to believe?

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
You are a sad man from down under. You probably like fumunda cheese

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Why would a Good God allow evil?
The bishops explain this as well as is linguistically possible, for my money. A snippet:
Providence and the scandal of evil.

309 If God the Father almighty, the Creator of the ordered and good world, cares for all his creatures, why does evil exist? To this question, as pressing as it is unavoidable and as painful as it is mysterious, no quick answer will suffice. Only Christian faith as a whole constitutes the answer to this question: the goodness of creation, the drama of sin and the patient love of God who comes to meet man by his covenants, the redemptive Incarnation of his Son, his gift of the Spirit, his gathering of the Church, the power of the sacraments and his call to a blessed life to which free creatures are invited to consent in advance, but from which, by a terrible mystery, they can also turn away in advance. There is not a single aspect of the Christian message that is not in part an answer to the question of evil.

Emphasis the bishops.'

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
No.
You can't believe in evil, and not believe in God.

I thought that once upon a time. In fact, I remember telling someone something that sounded pretty similar to what you just said, something along the lines of there had to be an Ineffable Good to balance the roiling evil. Now, I'm not so sure. Maybe when we die, we just die. And we either got some breaks in life, or we didn't.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
The bishops explain this as well as is linguistically possible, for my money. A snippet:
Providence and the scandal of evil.

309 If God the Father almighty, the Creator of the ordered and good world, cares for all his creatures, why does evil exist? To this question, as pressing as it is unavoidable and as painful as it is mysterious, no quick answer will suffice. Only Christian faith as a whole constitutes the answer to this question: the goodness of creation, the drama of sin and the patient love of God who comes to meet man by his covenants, the redemptive Incarnation of his Son, his gift of the Spirit, his gathering of the Church, the power of the sacraments and his call to a blessed life to which free creatures are invited to consent in advance, but from which, by a terrible mystery, they can also turn away in advance. There is not a single aspect of the Christian message that is not in part an answer to the question of evil.

Emphasis the bishops.'

"The drama of sin?" What does that mean? It almost sounds romanticized.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
I thought that once upon a time. In fact, I remember telling someone something that sounded pretty similar to what you just said, something along the lines of there had to be an Ineffable Good to balance the roiling evil.
I'm not suggesting any kind of balancing. What I'm saying is that we have no earthly right to judge anything that anybody else is doing as being objectively evil, and being atheist at the same time.
Now, I'm not so sure. Maybe when we die, we just die. And we either got some breaks in life, or we didn't.
You can believe that if you'd like, but you have to give up evil also. You can't think Hitler or Stalin were monsters, you have no right. If anything, because they altered history and affected so many people, for generations, they are better than we are, not worse, at being human.
"The drama of sin?" What does that mean? It almost sounds romanticized.
It reads like a contrast to the preceding, "the goodness of creation." Like, in contrast to "the goodness of creation," sin is dramatic. If history is a story, then sin introduces drama to the story. Something like that.

truthjourney

Because God gives us peace, joy, love and hope for the future; an indescribably beautiful and happy life beyond this one.
I have a very deep spiritual need that only God can fulfill.

Last edited:

6days

annabenedetti said:
Why would a Good God allow evil?
That is a great question. I wish parents and pastors would address this question often. I don't have an eloquent answer, but God allows evil because He loves you. On the face of it, that answer seems goofy, but please allow me to TRY and explain.*

Imagine if you could program a husband to bring you breakfast in bed daily...and, give you a nightly back massage - it might be fun for awhile. However, if your husband didn't have the freedom to reject you, there isn't love.*

Perhaps *that is a poor analogy, but God wants a love relationship with us. He allows us to reject Him and His law. We often I think it would be nice for God to control other people *but to allow us a little freedom. Would you really want God to hold your hand down when you want to give that driver the bird? *My example is silly, but I imagine you see what Im saying. *Now... a more horrific example. Why didn't God prevent that guy from raping and killing the 5 year old girl? *I can't imagine being the parent, a grandparent or even a friend of the family. Why did God allow that? I think sometimes as Christians it is best for us to admit that we just don't know, that we don't understand.

But, one thing I do know is that although we live in a corrupted creation where evil things happen; that evil will not always reign. As a person who so often has failed....and as a person who loves the Savior and having accepting His forgiveness, I look forward to a time when "He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death' or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away." Rev. 3:20

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
[Question 1]
Why should I believe in any god?
Because there is evil.
Isn't that generally an argument against god?
How would it even be a reason to believe?
You can't believe in evil, and not believe in God.
That depends entirely on your definition of evil. Your doing little more than using quirks of language to define your god into existence. Linguistics pretending to be philosophy.
All very interesting, including all that, plus that you used the wrong yore.

I'm not arguing for God's nonfictional existence. I'm saying you can't disbelief in Him, and also believe that certain things are evil. You're not allowed to.