Whom do you follow?

jshugart

Whom do you follow?

Seems like a simple question really. But what if two different people, with two different Gospels are both telling you to follow them? I would think it would matter who the two people were.

Jesus says in so many verses to follow him. [Matt 4:19, Matt 16:24, Matt 19:28, Mark 1:17, Mark 10:21, Luke 5:27, Luke 18:22, John 1:43, John 8:12, John 21:19]

Paul says to follow him. [1 Cor 4:16, 1 Cor 11:1, Gal 4:12, Phil 3:17, 1 Thess 1:6, 2 Thess 3:7,9]

This one is important:
1Cor 11:1 (HCSB)
"Imitate me, as I also imitate Christ."

So here, Paul is explicitly telling people to follow him, because if they do that, they will also be following Christ, because Paul imitates Christ. None of the other Apostles tell us to follow or imitate them, just Paul. That is a very interesting claim, that Paul imitates Christ.

A claim that I say doesn’t hold up under scrutiny.

Let us compare what Jesus and Paul have to say on about some topics.

A) Concerning payments for preaching the gospel:
Jesus – Matt 10:7-8
Paul – 1 Tim 5:17-18, 1 Cor 9:11-12

B) Concerning sacrifices to God:
Jesus – Matt 9:13
Paul – 1 Cor 5:7, Eph 5:2

C) Concerning unconditional election:
Jesus – Matt 7:21-22
Paul – Rom 9:16

D) Concerning the identity and number of leaders, pastors (shepherds), teachers:
Jesus – Matt 23:8, 10, John 10:16,
Paul – 1 Cor 4:15, Eph 4:11, 1 Cor 12:28, 1 Tim 2:7, 2 Tim 1:11

E) Concerning the number to be saved:
Jesus – Matt 7:13-14
Paul – Rom 11:25-26

F) Concerning the destiny of the Law and the Prophets:
Jesus – Matt 5:17-20
Paul – Rom 10:4 *

* IMO: Rom 10:4 should use the alt reading of “goal” instead of “end”. If it is “goal”, then Paul is agreeing with Jesus, and this item should be removed from this list. However, if the correct reading is “end” as my father tells me is the only “correct” reading, then Paul is in disagreement with Jesus, and this item belongs on the list.

G) Concerning the destiny of the ‘heavens and earth’:
Jesus – Matt 24:35
Paul – Rom 8:21

H) Concerning qualifying for eternal life:
Jesus – John 5:24
Paul – Rom 5:21

I) Concerning your father:
Jesus – Matt 23:9
Paul – 1 Cor 4:15, Phlm 1:10

J) Concerning the commandments and eternal life:
Jesus – Matt 19:17
Paul – Rom 7:9-10

K) Concerning the basis of judgment:
Jesus – John 12:48
Paul – Rom 2:12

L) Concerning the cost of eternal life:
Jesus – Matt 19:29
Paul – Luke 14:28, 33

M) Concerning being justified:
Jesus – Matt 12:37
Paul – Rom 3:24, 28, Rom 5:9

N) Concerning forgiveness of trespasses:
Jesus – Matt 6:14-15
Paul – Eph 1:7, Rom 4:25

O) Concerning whom God has mercy:
Jesus – Matt 5:7
Paul – Rom 9:15-18

P) Concerning the Sum of the Commandments:
Jesus – Matt 22:37-40
Paul – Rom 14:9

Q) Concerning the God of the Dead:
Jesus – Luke 20:38

R) Concerning the source of ‘truth’:
Jesus – John 17:14,17
Paul – 1 Cor 2:13, Gal 1:12

S) Concerning the coming of the Lord:
Jesus – Luke 21:8
Paul – Rom 13:12

T) Concerning swearing an oath:
Jesus – Matt 5:34-37
Paul – 1 Cor 1:23

You can’t serve two masters. Jesus and Paul teach vastly different doctrine, which is not compatible with each other.

I reject Paul, and I follow and imitate Jesus.

Whom do you follow?

Fair Warning:
I do not have the same canon as most. I reject the NT as “Scripture”, preferring to view the NT works as historical documents. I am quoting them here as historical fact, not as ‘Holy Scripture’.

I am not trying to change anyone else’s viewpoint; I am presenting this because my father, JerryShugart, wishes me to share on his favorite discussion forum.

This list is mainly to show why I believe what I believe. Why would I want to do that? I wouldn’t. I don’t care what anyone else believes. That is between them and their Creator. I do this because my father asked me to (Ex 20:12), so I have.

I am searching for truth. So if I have doctrine in error, I want to know why, so I can correct it. Let us keep things on topic please, if we allow this to go in any direction, we will have chaos.

All I ask is that you remember, I am not trying to convince you, if you join into the discussion it should be to convince me why my logic, reasoning, facts, etc is wrong or incorrect. I may not agree with you, but please don’t take that as a personal attack, I’m just explaining why I don’t agree.

everready

Whom do you follow?

Seems like a simple question really. But what if two different people, with two different Gospels are both telling you to follow them? I would think it would matter who the two people were.

Jesus says in so many verses to follow him. [Matt 4:19, Matt 16:24, Matt 19:28, Mark 1:17, Mark 10:21, Luke 5:27, Luke 18:22, John 1:43, John 8:12, John 21:19]

Paul says to follow him. [1 Cor 4:16, 1 Cor 11:1, Gal 4:12, Phil 3:17, 1 Thess 1:6, 2 Thess 3:7,9]

This one is important:

So here, Paul is explicitly telling people to follow him, because if they do that, they will also be following Christ, because Paul imitates Christ. None of the other Apostles tell us to follow or imitate them, just Paul. That is a very interesting claim, that Paul imitates Christ.

D) Concerning the identity and number of leaders, pastors (shepherds), teachers:

* IMO: Rom 10:4 should use the alt reading of “goal” instead of “end”. If it is “goal”, then Paul is agreeing with Jesus, and this item should be removed from this list. However, if the correct reading is “end” as my father tells me is the only “correct” reading, then Paul is in disagreement with Jesus, and this item belongs on the list.

You can’t serve two masters. Jesus and Paul teach vastly different doctrine, which is not compatible with each other.

Whom do you follow?

Fair Warning:
I do not have the same canon as most. I reject the NT as “Scripture”, preferring to view the NT works as historical documents. I am quoting them here as historical fact, not as ‘Holy Scripture’.

I am not trying to change anyone else’s viewpoint; I am presenting this because my father, JerryShugart, wishes me to share on his favorite discussion forum.

This list is mainly to show why I believe what I believe. Why would I want to do that? I wouldn’t. I don’t care what anyone else believes. That is between them and their Creator. I do this because my father asked me to (Ex 20:12), so I have.

I am searching for truth. So if I have doctrine in error, I want to know why, so I can correct it. Let us keep things on topic please, if we allow this to go in any direction, we will have chaos.

All I ask is that you remember, I am not trying to convince you, if you join into the discussion it should be to convince me why my logic, reasoning, facts, etc is wrong or incorrect. I may not agree with you, but please don’t take that as a personal attack, I’m just explaining why I don’t agree.

A simple question deserves a simple answer..you'll find it in..

John 3:3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

everready

Samie

js;

From what you listed in the OP, I cannot see any contradiction in what Paul taught from what Jesus taught, as gleaned from the verses you enumerated. Can you elucidate some more?

Please give one specific example and explain how Paul contradicted Christ in the example you gave.

Thank you.

Jerry Shugart

Concerning the number to be saved:

Jack,

Are you asserting that Paul was in error or deceiving others when he said that "all Israel shall be saved"?

Let us look at this passage from the OT to find out the truth because this prophecy foretells of a time in the future when all Israel will be saved:

"Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah: Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD: But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people. And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more"
(Jer.31:31-34).​

First, we can understand that those who will belong to the houses of Israel and Judah will be the physical descendants of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. That is because their "fathers" were the ones who broke the Lord's covenant and those people were the physical descendants of Jacob. Therefore, since their "fathers" are the physical descendants of Jacob then that must mean that they are also the physical descendants of Jacob.

Next, we can understand that all of the physical descendants of Jacob which will belong to both houses will know the Lord, "from the least of them unto the greatest of them," and they will all have their sins forgiven.

So Paul was speaking the truth when he places the time when "all Israel shall be saved" in the future.

Last edited:

Jerry Shugart

Concerning the cost of eternal life:

Jack, those are not Paul's words at Luke 14:28,33, but instead the words of the Lord Jesus Christ.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
Whom do you follow?

This one is important:

Whom do you follow?

Fair Warning:

excellent thread, thank you.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
I am searching for truth. So if I have doctrine in error, I want to know why, so I can correct it.
There is an unbroken chain of physical contact, through the imposition of hands during the sacrament of Holy Orders, between the Apostles in the first century, and all of the Church's bishops ever since then up to today. That was by Apostolic design. The scope of teaching authority is very precisely defined and there is no creep. The Church's bishops are the successors of the Apostles.

Samie

There is an unbroken chain of physical contact, through the imposition of hands during the sacrament of Holy Orders, between the Apostles in the first century, and all of the Church's bishops ever since then up to today. That was by Apostolic design. The scope of teaching authority is very precisely defined and there is no creep. The Church's bishops are the successors of the Apostles.
Same order of succession was observed in Israel's priesthood. The succession order was preserved, Yes, no doubt. Sadly, truth was not preserved by the successors. And the rest is history.

glorydaz

Whom do you follow?

This one is important:

Whom do you follow?

Well, when Jesus walked the earth, people could follow Him. Right? Now, in order to follow Jesus, we must be crucified with Christ and raise into newness of life, and you won't find out how to do that unless you read what the RISEN LORD revealed to Paul. It's just that simple.

When Paul says to be imitators of him, he was referring to what he'd just said in regards to his being an EXAMPLE as to how to live.

1 Cor. 10:31-33 Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God. Give none offence, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God: Even as I please all men in all things, not seeking mine own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved.​

God's Truth

Whom do you follow?

This one is important:

Whom do you follow?

Fair Warning:

The New Testament is scripture. Paul taught what Jesus taught.

God's Truth

You say you believe Jesus and not Paul and that Paul and Jesus teach differently. You have not proved from those scriptures that they teach differently. You have even given scriptures where Paul quotes the Old Testament.

God's Truth

The Old Testament purification/ceremonial works were a shadow, a teaching tool of what was coming. Jesus Christ is what was coming.

Jesus is the last sacrifice, the sacrificial Lamb of God.

God's Truth

Matthew 11:27
All things have been entrusted to Me by My Father. No one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal Him.

God shows mercy to those who obey Him, and those are the people Jesus reveals himself to.

John 14:21 The person who has my commandments and obeys them is the one who loves me. The one who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and will reveal myself to him."

God's Truth

During the laying of the foundation, people had to come to a 'church' to hear the words of God by sharing letters and books by Jesus' apostles and first witnesses.

Colossians 4:16 After this letter has been read to you, see that it is also read in the church of the Laodiceans and that you in turn read the letter from Laodicea.

1 Thessalonians 5:27 I charge you before the Lord to have this letter read to all the brothers and sisters.

God's Truth

Israel is all those who come to Jesus by living faith no matter what nationality and ethnicity they are.

It must have seemed as if all Jews were cut off, hardened, and blinded by God forever, and that an ethnicity of people was permanently disallowed from ever being saved again.

However, Paul assures the listener that all Israel will be saved...that is, any potential believer from the nation of Israel are not being kept out by God and not allowed to be grafted back in to true Israel and thus being saved...that any Jew who would believe in Jesus---can do so, so that all Israel, true Israel will be saved; for leaving out a race of people because of their race would leave out those who make up together true Israel.

Certainly, all Israel being saved is not about every single Jew is going to be saved.

God's Truth

Jesus fulfilled the law and the prophets means everything in the Old Testament was about him.

All the things written in the Old Testament were prophecies about what was coming.

What was coming is Jesus Christ.

Jesus coming fulfilled all the prophecies and purification/ceremonial laws.

The purification/ceremonial laws were a teaching tool, a shadow of Jesus.

Circumcision was a purification law and a seal.

Jesus circumcises our hearts with the Holy Spirit and is now our seal.

All the special days were about Jesus.

Jesus came and we now observe Jesus all day every day.

Various external washings and the sacrifice of animals for their blood was required to atone for ones soul.

Faith in Jesus' blood cleans us of the sins we repent of and atones for our souls.

The people used to have to clean themselves just to go to the temple to worship God where His Spirit was.

Since Jesus we become the temple of the Spirit of God.

God's Truth

Could you explain better what you think the discrepancy is?

Jesus taught many things for the rules for the New Covenant. He taught us what we have to do. All the scripture where Jesus says to believe him, they do not nullify the scriptures that say to obey him. We have to believe that we have to obey him.