who darkened Sinaiticus?

Greetings!

There has been a number of interesting discoveries, and ongoing research, into the origin, provenance, history and authenticity of Codex Sinaiticus.

This manuscript, which can be seen online since 2009 courtesy of the superb web presenation at the:

Codex Sinaiticus Project
http://codexsinaiticus.org/en/
(one caution: the English translation often does not reflect the ms.)

is famous for the stories regarding its discovery by Constantine Tischendorf in the 1840s and 1850s. These stories involved a claim of saving leaves of the manuscript in a basket from burning in 1844. And of the New Testament and much more being surprisingly produced under a red cloth as Tischendorf was preparing to finish his 1859 visit.

This manuscript took its place around 1860-1885 as one of the pillars of modern textual criticism theory, the conceptual base behind the Critical Text and the modern versions. Westcott and Hort's textual theories, the opposition to the traditional Reformation Bible from the Received Text, were largely based on Vaticanus and Sinaiticus. Including claiming that their much earlier ancestor was an exceedingly pure virtually autographic text, as e.g. described here:

=======

The New Testament in the original Greek (1881)
Westcott and Hort
https://books.google.com/books?id=gZ4HAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA224

Their independence can be carried back so far that their concordant testimony may be treated as equivalent to that of a MS older than א and B themselves by at least two centuries, probably by a generation or two more.

=======

My suggestion is that a study of the manuscript and its history can be surprising, fascinating and edifying.

A good starting point is a new website:

Sinaiticus Parchment Colour
www.sinaiticus.net

From those pages you will see some other discussions and videos, and if you are time limited today, want to spend a few minutes, I strongly recommend:

"Coloring the Truth part two" - by David W. Daniels

Which is a follow up to "Who Darkened Sinaiticus?", the thread title. Seeing both, or even just the second, can be quite helpful.

Since I have not posted here for a season or three, and am probably a newbie in post count, I am a little rusty on url and link protocols.

Hopefully my three urls above are within protocols, as a good starting point. Please feel free to inform me if I overstep any posting directives.

Thanks!

Steven Avery
Dutchess County, NY

Last edited:

CherubRam

Sinaiticus comment: The personal name of Yahwah is replace at least ten times in the New Testament. Naturally this leads to confusion as to who is being spoken of, Yahwah, or, Yahshua.
Pantocrator or Pantokrator (Greek: Χριστός Παντοκράτωρ) is, used in this context, a translation of one of many names of God in Judaism. When the Hebrew Bible was translated into Greek as the Septuagint, Pantokrator was used both for YHWH Sabaoth "Lord of Hosts" and for El Shaddai "God Almighty".

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Greetings!

There has been a number of interesting discoveries, and ongoing research, into the origin, provenance, history and authenticity of Codex Sinaiticus.

This manuscript, which can be seen online since 2009 courtesy of the superb web presenation at the:

Codex Sinaiticus Project
http://codexsinaiticus.org/en/
(one caution: the English translation often does not reflect the ms.)

is famous for the stories regarding its discovery by Constantine Tischendorf in the 1840s and 1850s. These stories involved a claim of saving leaves of the manuscript in a basket from burning in 1844. And of the New Testament and much more being surprisingly produced under a red cloth as Tischendorf was preparing to finish his 1859 visit.

This manuscript took its place around 1860-1885 as one of the pillars of modern textual criticism theory, the conceptual base behind the Critical Text and the modern versions. Westcott and Hort's textual theories, the opposition to the traditional Reformation Bible from the Received Text, were largely based on Vaticanus and Sinaiticus. Including claiming that their much earlier ancestor was an exceedingly pure virtually autographic text, as e.g. described here:

=======

The New Testament in the original Greek (1881)
Westcott and Hort
https://books.google.com/books?id=gZ4HAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA224

Their independence can be carried back so far that their concordant testimony may be treated as equivalent to that of a MS older than א and B themselves by at least two centuries, probably by a generation or two more.

=======

My suggestion is that a study of the manuscript and its history can be surprising, fascinating and edifying.

A good starting point is a new website:

Sinaiticus Parchment Colour
www.sinaiticus.net

From those pages you will see some other discussions and videos, and if you are time limited today, want to spend a few minutes, I strongly recommend:

"Coloring the Truth part two" - by David W. Daniels

Which is a follow up to "Who Darkened Sinaiticus?", the thread title. Seeing both, or even just the second, can be quite helpful.

Since I have not posted here for a season or three, and am probably a newbie in post count, I am a little rusty on url and link protocols.

Hopefully my three urls above are within protocols, as a good starting point. Please feel free to inform me if I overstep any posting directives.

Thanks!

Steven Avery
Dutchess County, NY

The Braves had a pitcher named Steve Avery