Which religion should I choose?

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Originally posted by granite1010
Who said anything about the Catholic church? The canon was codified by majority vote in the third century. Books were chosen, books were discarded, and God help you if the council decided you were a heretic.

"It was an elcted Roman council 3 centuries after Jesus had died." -Janus

I could be mistaken as to what he meant by that, but my point is the same. The books were already in existence and being used by the Chruches by that time.

Sorry if I misunderstood you on that point Janus.

Janus

Banus
Banned
Nineveh,
When I said The Faith I was talking about the declartion the British sovereign makes to His or Her country. Of course Islam believes itself to be true but Mohammed was still charitable to the Christians just as was Alexander the Great and Cyrus the Great to other denominations. I'm still worried about the Christian effects on moralit and political life. I'm still here because I don't believe in walking away from a problem nor putting my head in the sand. I don't have faith in that the problem will be taken care of by a higher power, therefore I address it myself. Initially by learning more about it
which is why I'm here.

The caves of Qumran, authors unknown.
I am openminded. The reason why we don't see eye to eye is just that. I am willing to argue points logically, you will always revert back to faith or scripture. Faith is unproven, scripture open to interpretation hence the multitude of religions and multiple schisms in Christianity.

One Eyed Jack

Originally posted by Janus
I'm still here because I don't believe in walking away from a problem nor putting my head in the sand. I don't have faith in that the problem will be taken care of by a higher power, therefore I address it myself. Initially by learning more about it
which is why I'm here.

What exactly is this problem you keep talking about?

Janus

Banus
Banned
The Church vote is widly regarded as a winner for Bush in the election.

The Papal hold over the EU states and Catholic politcians which directly affects day to to day living and long term policy, even the Queen's soverignty.

The 'higher moral ground' attitude that all churches share that make non-christian states resent America and by connection the West, attributing to proliferation and destabalising international affairs.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
When I said The Faith I was talking about the declartion the British sovereign makes to His or Her country.

Oh, well I was talking about "in reality"...

Of course Islam believes itself to be true but Mohammed was still charitable to the Christians just as was Alexander the Great and Cyrus the Great to other denominations.

So charitable in fact muslims hold Christians as slaves in the Sudan.

I'm still worried about the Christian effects on moralit and political life.

You really should answer OEJ's question.

Anyway, I could see where a pagan might have conflicts with not murdering, committing adultery, stealing, honoring parents and the like....

I'm still here because I don't believe in walking away from a problem nor putting my head in the sand.

And what is your problem? That there are some who dare follow Christ, even after all of your rationilzations against Him?

I don't have faith in that the problem will be taken care of by a higher power, therefore I address it myself. Initially by learning more about it which is why I'm here.

Thank you for exposing your claim to "openmindedness" as being a lie. At least you can quit claiming you want to be "converted", now.

The caves of Qumran, authors unknown.

Do a little more research on that, k?

I am openminded.

Now, now...

The reason why we don't see eye to eye is just that. I am willing to argue points logically, you will always revert back to faith or scripture.

Stop being dishonest. It's not going to get you anywhere. To correct you misconception, we don't see eye to eye because I repented of what you are now, and I used to be.

Faith is unproven,

Faith is the evidence of things unseen.

scripture open to interpretation hence the multitude of religions and multiple schisms in Christianity.

The only folks I see who misuse Scripture are those who need to make themselves right. wickwoman, your hero, is a master at it. Anyway, denominations aren't Christ. You yourself don't believe people should have faith in the Bible, yet you think it's ok people have faith in denominations?

Janus

Banus
Banned
I'm not blaming anyone, I've said all along if it works for you good on yer. Join a theology online site and I'm going to question all aspects of your theory. Because thats what it is, a theory. Remove the scripture as evidence as it has come under doubt and there is no longer any more evidence. Faith is defined as trust or confidence in someone or something and by definition therefore is not evidence in its own right. Open your minds to this and ask yourselves whether the theory stands true using the intelligence that God granted all of us, whatever you believe God to be, an ideal or an actual being is irreleveant. Show me a theory that is watertight then I will convert. So far you've been unable to do so.

One Eyed Jack

The Church vote is widly regarded as a winner for Bush in the election.

How is this a problem for you?

The Papal hold over the EU states and Catholic politcians which directly affects day to to day living and long term policy, even the Queen's soverignty.

This isn't a problem for me.

The 'higher moral ground' attitude that all churches share that make non-christian states resent America and by connection the West, attributing to proliferation and destabalising international affairs.

So, you think if America became less Christian, the rest of the world would like us more? This isn't a popularity contest, Janus.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

Is it just me or are you ignoring the fact that most Catholic politicians are democrats? Kennedy, and Kerry are the two that immediately come to mind.

So, the Pope has nothing to do with the church vote that got Bush re-elected. Catholics and protestants are seperate, even in politics.

One Eyed Jack

I'm not blaming anyone, I've said all along if it works for you good on yer. Join a theology online site and I'm going to question all aspects of your theory. Because thats what it is, a theory. Remove the scripture as evidence as it has come under doubt and there is no longer any more evidence. Faith is defined as trust or confidence in someone or something and by definition therefore is not evidence in its own right. Open your minds to this and ask yourselves whether the theory stands true using the intelligence that God granted all of us, whatever you believe God to be, an ideal or an actual being is irreleveant. Show me a theory that is watertight then I will convert. So far you've been unable to do so.

Why don't you tell us your beliefs? We'll see how watertight they are.

One Eyed Jack

Originally posted by lighthouse

Is it just me or are you ignoring the fact that most Catholic politicians are democrats? Kennedy, and Kerry are the two that immediately come to mind.

So, the Pope has nothing to do with the church vote that got Bush re-elected. Catholics and protestants are seperate, even in politics.

Dude, he's talking about the EU there.

Janus

Banus
Banned
One side of the argument is that religion should hold no sway over politics nor a state. An individual's relationship with his maker is their choice. When it involves more than that it becomes political.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
What's EU? And why did he bring up the church vote getting Bush re-elected, then bring in the pope and Catholic politicians, if he isn't trying to make a connection?

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

I'm here to form my beliefs.

Baloney!! You had your mind made up before you ever typed one word on this forum.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Well, let's at least TRY to give someone the benefit of the doubt...

...although with a name like "Janus" it is a little hard to.:D

One Eyed Jack

Originally posted by granite1010

Well, let's at least TRY to give someone the benefit of the doubt...

...although with a name like "Janus" it is a little hard to.:D

Yeah, that's about as two-faced as you can get, ain't it? ;)