• State of the art

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Tried and true

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • It's my way or the highway

Votes: 4 10.8%

• Total voters

Memento Mori

So when your kids bring home an F on their math paper and you ask, "why would you put that 3 + 3 = 7 and 4 + 1 = 8 and 1 + 1 = 4,768?" and he/she says, "Because I was thinking outside the box", I guess you'll be just fine with that.

Or if you say to them, "You should go and clean your room" and he/she says, "No, I'm going to think outside the box. I don't think I should clean it", no doubt you'll have no problem with that response.

I hadn't realized that the 'box' in question stood for the law.

I generally think near a box.:chuckle:

DoogieTalons

BANNED
Banned
So when your kids bring home an F on their math paper and you ask, "why would you put that 3 + 3 = 7 and 4 + 1 = 8 and 1 + 1 = 4,768?" and he/she says, "Because I was thinking outside the box", I guess you'll be just fine with that.

Or if you say to them, "You should go and clean your room" and he/she says, "No, I'm going to think outside the box. I don't think I should clean it", no doubt you'll have no problem with that response.
As I said inside the box for some things, like maths ect, and out side for others, like metaphysical superstitions. I like absract thought and the way you can learn from it. Completly logical is somewhat boring.

I think it would be wrong for me to tell my child there is no God when I don't know myself.

The thing is I won't be indoctrinating him in a particular religion nor will I allow him to be. So he'll proabably be an Atheist.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I used to use far too many clinches, but I took a creative writing class, and now I wouldn't touch one, with a ten foot pole!

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I chose no strings attached and meant it as a statement of independence, being philosophically moderate and calmly of my own mind for the most part... So I'm not inviting a useless guitar analogy. :D

As for the whole box question, I think that thinking out side of it is a good idea provided you first understand what's in it--of course, if you don't you'll never be absolutely certain you're outside of it to begin with. :think:

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I think it would be wrong for me to tell my child there is no God when I don't know myself.

Don't you think you owe it to him to find out?

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Hey, doogie. Will you let your kid post on TOL once he comes of age?

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'm "More than meets the eye", of course. Along with a few others like:

A few fries short of a Happy Meal
A day late and a dollar short
Think outside the box
All thumbs
Glutton for punishment
Slow as molasses in January

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Thinking outside the box is what one does when one wishes to turn the direction of policy, as policy moves according to the laws of motion. I am glad I do not have to think outside the box these days, as it is hard for me to think inside the box well enough to get my point across. I forget thinks, for example, I cannot remember what I chose here, so much for consistent thought.:chew:

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I used to use far too many clinches, but I took a creative writing class, and now I wouldn't touch one, with a ten foot pole!

:chuckle: