Where Does The Bible Say...? (HOF thread)

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Aimiel

You could do so if you want, but it wouldn't be Scriptural. In The Bible, the 'evidence' of Holy Spirit Baptism is described as speaking in tongues. Besides Nori, do you know of any of the admins who do so? I don't.I would tend to agree, though the ministry of The Holy Spirit is not about miracles, only. He is completing His Mission Perfectly.I would have to argue with that. I would say that it is a false sign or lying wonder, if faith is not increased, because that's just the way that God does things.I believe that God knows how to get the most faith (and mileage) out of His Miracle-Working Power. I also believe that in these last days, that His Desire for people to be saved, as we come to the time for the wedding, will cause Him to use whatever means necessary to compel people to come in to His Presence; and if that means they will only believe upon Him if they see a miracle, then miracle they shall see. That is what I believe. We're sent, and He sets the priorities, as well as performs the miracles, in our midst.
This is one we'll have to take elswhere. Where do you think would be a good place?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Re: The Bible Says....

Re: The Bible Says....

Originally posted by JustAChristian

A man that is an heretic after the first and second admonition reject; (Titus 3:10). I see no reason to continue on this discussion. :noid: :kookoo: :jump:

JustAChristian
Translation: Hello, Kettle. This is the pot...

JustAChristian

Re: Re: The Bible Says....

Re: Re: The Bible Says....

Originally posted by lighthouse

Translation: Hello, Kettle. This is the pot...

lights...out!

I didn't know we were speaKing anymore!

Aimiel said earlier:
In The Bible, the 'evidence' of Holy Spirit Baptism is described as speaking in tongues.

Are tongues as Aimiel understands it the same as the New Testament teaches. It is my understanding that when you contrasts the tongues of the first century with those alleged tongues of today we notice a great difference. From a careful reading of Acts 2:8 one finds that the apostles spoke in tongues that were real bona fide languages, the knowledge of which languages they had not previously studied (Acts 2:4,6-11). Whereas, the alleged tongues of today are unintelligible jargon and no interpretation is possible or desirable. A spurious argument often used is that the tongues of 1 Cor. 14 were ecstatic, incoherent jargon like those today. But we differ from the view for the same Greek word for "tongues" is used throughout the New Testament and by definition it is a language, not jargon. The word "unknown" before tongue in the King James Version in 1 Cor. 14 is in italics and means there is no Greek word for it but that it was supplied by the translators. The ASV simply has "tongues." It was "unknown tongues" in the sense of it being a foreign language which they had not studied, but which they could speak by the power of the Spirit.

JustAChristian

The Holy Spirit is received in conversion. Paul asked, "This only I want to learn from you: Did you receive the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? (Galatians 3:2 NKJV). This is a rhetorical question. The Galatians did not receive the Spirit through keeping the Law of Moses but by the hearing (unto obedience; Mark 16:16; Acts 2:38) of faith?" (the gospel; Rom. 1:16; Jude 3). Paul asking this question helps us to see that no person is ever infused with the Spirit nor receives Him other than through hearing the gospel and obedience to water baptism for the remission of sins.

Last edited:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
JustAHeretic-
1] I wasn't speaking to you, I was pointing out your hypocrisy!
2] Paul said nothing about water baptism in that verse. In fact, he spoke agianst the works of the law, there. He said the Spirit was recieved by the hearing of the word in faith, and faith alone.

Aimiel

The real question is, "Is Aimiel still reading my posts, after I've called him a heretic, for no good reason, and now speak of him in the 'third person' even though he's still subscribed to this thread?"

Yes. (that is the answer)

JaC,

By saying, "...no person is ever infused with the Spirit nor receives Him other than through hearing the gospel and obedience to water baptism for the remission of sins," were you trying to let us know that your previous stance (that of saying ONLY the twelve Apostles, plus or minus Paul, could 'confer' the Holy Spirit Baptism) is now defunct?

How is hands being laid on someone 'hearing'? They are a point of contact, where God allows those with faith to release their faith and let Him work.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Aimiel-
Did you not know that heretics constantly contradict themselves? Haven't you seen this in post by various pagans, here...such as wickwoman, or PureX?:confused:

Aimiel

Yes, and I guess I'll have to add JaC to my list of heathens who shall be known by their much-speaking, is only seems such a wast, though. He seems like such an earnest student, but it comes down to teachability, and the thought and intent of the heart.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I agree. I do wish there wa hope for him, by way of us...but it seems that someone else may have to do it. I only pray that someone can get through to him, before it's too late.

JustAChristian

Sparking A Ligth for the World...

Sparking A Ligth for the World...

JustAHeretic-
1] I wasn't speaking to you, I was pointing out your hypocrisy!
2] Paul said nothing about water baptism in that verse. In fact, he spoke agianst the works of the law, there. He said the Spirit was recieved by the hearing of the word in faith, and faith alone.

Flashlight...

I assume that you are talking about Galatians 6:2...?

Anyway, it says...
This only would I learn of you: [answer this question], Did you receive the Spirit [Acts 2:38 where we are told to repent and be baptized and we will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit] by the works of the law, [Romans 6:14] or by the hearing of faith? [to answer this honestly they knew that Paul had preached Christ, not the law, to cause them to have faith cf Rom. 10:16,17].

When one hears the gospel which is the power of God unto salvation he hears God message for his soul. On one occasion Jesus spoke "... to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free. (John 8:31-32). Peter later reminds how we are made clean of sin: "Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently: (1 Peter 1:21-22 ). Too many people believe we don't have to do anything in order to be saved. However the Bible plainly tells us that we must respond in faith (Eph. 2:8-9) to the gospel (Romans 10:16-17). Jesus rewards those who respond as He has Willed in the gospel (Hebrews 5:8-9). Yes, it is by faith but not by faith only (James 2:24)

JustAChristian :angel:

Aimiel

It is by faith in His Word, trusting that He would give The Holy Spirit to those who ask Him for Him, that we come into a relationship with Him, instead of just trying to 'be good' on our own. He lives in us, and through us. He writes His Law, His Perfect Law of Liberty (love) upon the tablet of our heart. That is how we know, "The Truth," which is His Word, we know Him Who lives inside of us.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Re: Sparking A Ligth for the World...

Re: Sparking A Ligth for the World...

Flashlight...

I assume that you are talking about Galatians 6:2...?

Anyway, it says...
This only would I learn of you: [answer this question], Did you receive the Spirit [Acts 2:38 where we are told to repent and be baptized and we will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit] by the works of the law, [Romans 6:14] or by the hearing of faith? [to answer this honestly they knew that Paul had preached Christ, not the law, to cause them to have faith cf Rom. 10:16,17].

When one hears the gospel which is the power of God unto salvation he hears God message for his soul. On one occasion Jesus spoke "... to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free. (John 8:31-32). Peter later reminds how we are made clean of sin: "Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently: (1 Peter 1:21-22 ). Too many people believe we don't have to do anything in order to be saved. However the Bible plainly tells us that we must respond in faith (Eph. 2:8-9) to the gospel (Romans 10:16-17). Jesus rewards those who respond as He has Willed in the gospel (Hebrews 5:8-9). Yes, it is by faith but not by faith only (James 2:24)

Talk about putting it in your own words.:rolleyes:

P.S.
If the "nicknames" you were referring to me with were insulting, they might actually be funny.

JustAChristian

What Makes All The Difference?

What Makes All The Difference?

It is by faith in His Word, trusting that He would give The Holy Spirit to those who ask Him for Him, that we come into a relationship with Him, instead of just trying to 'be good' on our own. He lives in us, and through us. He writes His Law, His Perfect Law of Liberty (love) upon the tablet of our heart. That is how we know, "The Truth," which is His Word, we know Him Who lives inside of us.

Aimiel,

The beloved John the apostle said of fellowship in obedience..."And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him,because we keep his commandments and do those things that are pleasing in his sight , . (1 John 3:22). You are not willing to follow John's example, and THAT IS WHAT MAKES ALL THE DIFFERENCE!

JustAChristian

Re: Re: Sparking A Ligth for the World...

Re: Re: Sparking A Ligth for the World...

Talk about putting it in your own words.:rolleyes:

P.S.
If the "nicknames" you were referring to me with were insulting, they might actually be funny.

:thumb:

Aimiel

Re: What Makes All The Difference?

Re: What Makes All The Difference?

You are not willing to follow John's example, and THAT IS WHAT MAKES ALL THE DIFFERENCE!
I don't see any disobedience. Maybe you could remove the log from your eye, so that you could better help me with my speck?

JustAChristian

Re: Re: What Makes All The Difference?

Re: Re: What Makes All The Difference?

I don't see any disobedience. Maybe you could remove the log from your eye, so that you could better help me with my speck?

You deny the commandment to be immersed for the remission of sins which was the first requirement with repentance that Peter told those that asked what they should do (Acts 2:37-38), and look for a path of miracles today in a church that has matured by the complete testament of Christ. When you deny the word of the Lord on these matters your deny God is more informative in salvation than you are. That us a dabgerous area to be in.

JustAChristian

"Look to yourselves, that we lose not those things which we have wrought, but that we receive a full reward. Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.'"( 2 John 1:8-9).

Aimiel

JaC...

JaC...

You deny the commandment to be immersed...
No, I don't. What makes you say that?
... look for a path of miracles today in a church that has matured by the complete testament of Christ.
As I've said before, if the church were 'mature,' as you presume, then she'd have done not only the works which Christ did, but even greater, as He said that we will. I don't know of anyone (other than The Lord), so far, who has walked on water, do you? I expect to be able to not only hear The Word of The Lord, when He speaks it, but to respond to Him and do as He wills. Without having any experience hearing His Voice or walking in obedience to what He said, how can you expect to do as He did, much less greater works than He did?
When you deny the word of the Lord on these matters your deny God is more informative in salvation than you are.
What, specifically, do you believe I have denied? As I said, I don't deny any Truth. :eek:

logos_x

Re: Re: Re: What Makes All The Difference?

Re: Re: Re: What Makes All The Difference?

You deny the commandment to be immersed for the remission of sins which was the first requirement with repentance that Peter told those that asked what they should do (Acts 2:37-38),

You have turned baptism into a legalistic work that denies the very reason for that baptism.
Because of the remission of sins, accomplished in full by Jesus on the cross.
Baptism is our identification with the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus and what He accomplished in it. We are not baptised to GET saved, we are baptised because we ARE saved.

and look for a path of miracles today in a church that has matured by the complete testament of Christ. When you deny the word of the Lord on these matters your deny God is more informative in salvation than you are. That us a dangerous area to be in.

Joh 14:11 Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake.
Joh 14:12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.

The complete testament of Christ includes the works of Christ working through the body of Christ.

"Look to yourselves, that we lose not those things which we have wrought, but that we receive a full reward. Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.'"( 2 John 1:8-9).

To make salvation contingent on baptism in water denies the doctrine of Christ, as though His work did not do anything except for those who get immersed in water. He died for the sins of the world. We get baptised when we believe that...not to appropriate it and make it so...but because it IS so, and we identify ourselves with that.
Baptismal regeneration doctrine is not what the Gospel says...in fact it turns it on it's head., enabling people to "own Jesus" more than others of like faith. Worse, because it has lead to the mistaken idea that all Christians need to do is compell people to be baptised...which lead to the forced baptism of Jews, etc.

Baptism is not a legalistic means to salvation. There isn't any legalistic means to salvation. The sooner you stop looking for one the better off you'll be.

JustAChristian

Re: JaC...

Re: JaC...

No, I don't. What makes you say that?As I've said before, if the church were 'mature,' as you presume, then she'd have done not only the works which Christ did, but even greater, as He said that we will. I don't know of anyone (other than The Lord), so far, who has walked on water, do you? I expect to be able to not only hear The Word of The Lord, when He speaks it, but to respond to Him and do as He wills. Without having any experience hearing His Voice or walking in obedience to what He said, how can you expect to do as He did, much less greater works than He did?What, specifically, do you believe I have denied? As I said, I don't deny any Truth. :eek: [/QUOTE

QUOTE]No, I don't. What makes you say that?

Let me ask you this...Do you believe that the commission to the apostles to preach "he that believes and is baptized shall be saved" (Mark 16:16) applies to you? Do you believe that immersion is for the remission of sins? If you do not, I believe you do not believe immersion is commanded for salvation of the soul.

I've said before, if the church were 'mature,' as you presume, then she'd have done not only the works which Christ did, but even greater, as He said that we will. I don't know of anyone (other than The Lord), so far, who has walked on water, do you?

I do not believe that Jesus intended us to walk on water. He intend us, through the church, to preach the gospel to the ends of the earth (Matthew 28:18-20). This has been accomplished in the life time of the apostles (Colossians 1:23). In the eyes of Christ that was a monumential task and they did it. He preached the gospel to the limited area of Israel, but they went into all the world. How great was that work!!!

I expect to be able to not only hear The Word of The Lord, when He speaks it, but to respond to Him and do as He wills

You have that opportunity today as you open the Bible and read His message in the gospel. When you lower yourself to be humble before Him you will know the doctrine for Jesus has said. "If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself." (John 7:17). When you truly place Christ and His Testament before the man-made doctrine you now embrace you will know the truth and the truth will make you free ( John 4:24).

What, specifically, do you believe I have denied? As I said, I don't deny any Truth.

Peter told his audience of Christians that they had "purified their soul (were saved) in obeying the truth" and because of their obedience to the truth they were born again (1 Peter 1:22-23). I believe when you research what the gospel says about being born again and what the believers did in order to be born again then you will be a ripe candidate to that avenue. Christ said to hear the gospel and believe He is who He claimed to be (John 8:24), to repent of sins (Luke 13:3-5), to confess Christ before man (Matthew 10:32-33). and be baptized for the remission of sins (Acts 2:38) and you will rise to walk in newness of life (Romans 6:3-5). I believe you will be then born again!

JustAChristian

Understanding The Work Of The Holy Spirit In Giving Gifts.

Understanding The Work Of The Holy Spirit In Giving Gifts.

The Holy Spirit empowered the fledgling church with signs and miracles. Among them was the gift of speaking in tongues. Translators of the King James Bible properly interpreted the Greek language on the matter of tongues, but in order to assist the understanding they inserted a “help word.� This help word was “unknown.� In the greatest instance, however, they seem to have confused the issue instead of aiding the understanding. We need to study the subject of unknown tongues.

“Unknown� tongues are languages not known by instruction of the speaker. The word “unknown� in the context of signs and miracles, is not in the original Greek manuscripts but is in italics and as I have previously said, was inserted by the scholars for understanding and unfortunately, it caused more misunderstanding than understanding.

It must be understood that wherever the word “tongue� was used by the New Testament orator it always had the same Greek word. It should therefore always be interpreted with the same definition . The word “tongue� must be interpreted by context. In Acts 2:8 it relates to languages of individual nations. In Romans 14:11and Phil.2:11, it refers to individuals themselves. In Acts 21:40 it is directed associated with a nationality – i.e. Hebrew. In 1 Cor. 14:9 it is associated with “words easy to be understood.� In 1 Cor. 14:19 Paul desired to say audible words that he might teach than an innumerable amount of words that could not be understood by the hearer. Note: All this relates to words and not euphoric utterances. In James 3, it relates to the organ of the mouth. If you could find one irrefutable verse about euphoric utterances like that practiced in the Pentecostal circles, you would have a valid case. However, we are called upon to answer to the contexts as they are presented. That is to accept tongues as a national language, the individual being spoken about, words, or the individual mouth organ. In 1 Cor. 14:1, this leads us to conclude that national languages of men and angelic languages that have no biblical record for analysis are being spoken of. This is the only safe avenue to take. Taking this avenue will not cause us, willfully or carelessly, add to God’s word.

Human beings have received different measures or diverse distributions of the Holy Spirit (Rom. 12:6; 1 Cor. 12:4,11; Eph. 4:8-11; Heb. 2:4; James 5:13-14). Since there are varied measures of the Spirit bestowed, the King James translators thought that two words were understood in John 3:34. "God giveth not the Spirit by measure unto him (Jesus)." Only Jesus received the fullness of the Spirit, while the rest of mankind has received only measures.

(1) Baptismal. One of the three New Testament distributions of the Holy Spirit was called a baptism (Acts 1:5). This measure was bestowed twice, once on the apostles (Acts 2) and once on a group of Gentiles with Cornelius (Acts 10). Holy Spirit baptism came upon the apostles to qualify them as infallible teachers (John 14:26; John 16:13; 1 Pet. 1:12). A "like gift" (Acts 11:17) came upon Cornelius and his associates enabling them to speak in languages foreign to them (Acts 10:46). Peter was convinced that God had sent the Holy Spirit baptism on Cornelius and his people to make him and other prejudiced Jews know that Gentiles should be accepted into the church (Acts 10:47).

The purposes of the two instances of Holy Spirit baptism were different, and the effects were different, but both made Peter think of Jesus' words about Holy Spirit baptism (Acts 1:5; Acts 11:16). These two examples were about ten years apart, A.D. 30 and 40, and historically have never recurred.

(2) Hand-laying. A second measure of the Holy Spirit is called the "hand-laying" portion, since it was imparted by the laying on of the apostles' hands (Acts 8:5-21). Besides the example at Samaria, Paul laid hands on about twelve men at Ephesus, who could then speak with tongues and prophesy (Acts 19:6; Eph. 4:8-11). At Rome some Christians already had spiritual gifts, but Paul wanted to go there to impart gifts to others (Rom. 1:11; Rom. 14:6). Nine or more diverse gifts were distributed among Christians at Corinth, but Paul wanted all to know there is something more important than miraculous workings (1 Cor. 12:4-11,31). Since physical apostolic hand-laying was a requisite for these miraculous gifts, it follows that when the last person died on whom an apostle had laid hands, this measure of the Spirit vanished from the earth (1 Cor. 13:8). Today by hand-laying nobody can raise the sick, and the only elders who ever could were miraculously endowed (Mark 16:17-18; James 5:13-14).

(3) Indwelling. As contrasted with the baptismal and hand-laying measures (both miraculous, both limited to the first century, and not for everybody even then), the indwelling measure is for all centuries and for all Christians and is nonmiraculous. Whereas both the baptismal and the hand-laying portions were wholly external in their manifestations (as talking in tongues and prophesying), the indwelling distribution is wholly internal and has no external manifestation. The ability to talk in a foreign language that one has not learned is a mechanical miracle, as witnessed by Balaam's donkey, and reflects no spiritual growth (Num. 22:18).

JustAChristian