When Did the Disciples of Jesus Stop Observing the Old Testament Laws?

TweetyBird

Keep reading...

13 For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God’s sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous...

Paul then even accounts for those who don't hear the Law but do it anyway...

But iit is Peter who writes of those who hear the holy commandment and then turn away again like a dog returns to its vomit...

Obviously the Law remains...jot and tittle

If one jot or tittle passes away, it all falls down. There is no more sacrifice for sin with the blood of animals. The whole Law falls down because that foundation was destroyed.

ThreeAngels

I think the OT disagrees with you. The entire law of Moses was the 10 and all of the other laws, commandments, and statues given to Israel. It was all written down in the Book of the Law, also called the Covenant, also called the Law of Moses, also called the Law of God, also called the 10 commandments.
The Law of the ten commandments was written by God's finger and given to Moses on mount Sinai as written,"And the LORD said unto Moses, Come up to me into the mount, and be there: and I will give thee tables of stone, and a law, and commandments which I have written; that thou mayest teach them."(see Exodus 24:12) while the law of Moses was written by Moses on God's dictation in a book. "And the LORD said unto Moses, Come up to me into the mount, and be there: and I will give thee tables of stone, and a law, and commandments which I have written; that thou mayest teach them " (see Exodus 24:7). The Decalogue was kept inside the ark, as shown in the Scripture, "And thou shalt put into the ark the testimony which I shall give thee." Exodus25:16. The law of Moses was kept on the side of the ark of the covenant as is written in Deut 31:25,26 "... Moses commanded the Levites, which bare the ark of the covenant of the Lord, saying, take this book of the law, and put it in the side of the ark of the covenant of the Lord your God, that it may be there for a witness against thee."
Jesus did keep and fulfill the law but that does not in any way take the obligation of keeping the law from us. The Bible defines sin as"the transgression of the law" 1 John 3:4. Saying that there is no more obligation to keep the law since Jesus kept it is tantamount to saying that there is no more sin.

clefty

Yes, the gospel of Jesus which was the Tanach; not the gospel of Paul which was the NT.

This thread is meant to address this misperception, that Paul teaches another gospel.

Did you read the opening article?

Many misuse Paul to maintain false teaching and tradition--exactly what Peter warned about.

This is useful for joos to reject their messiah and Christians to reject their trunk and root.

What! Peter was afraid of the Jews! I thought he was a Jew himself. You speak about him as if he was not a Jew.
Flee evil, Satan prowls like a hungry lion.

One just has to read what joodah did to Israel to understand the danger of these snakes and their idolatrous counterfeits. You are either for or against and they have shown repeatedly they are against. They kill the Spirit, the Law and then the person of any who counters them as those in the locked upper room witnessed. True believers even feared Saul before he was Paul.

The Law was in force because heaven and earth had not passed away yet.
Yes.

They must first wake Jesus' up from the grave. If you have forgotten, he is still dead. If we want to do what God says we must go for His Word which is not beyond reach. It is not in the heavens that we should say, who among us can go up to the heavens and get It for us and impart It to us that we may observe It? Neither It is beyond the sea that we should say, who among us can cross to the other side of the sea and get it for us and impart It to us that we may observe It? No, God's Word is very close to us, in our own mouth and in our heart.(Deuteronomy 30:11-14)

Mixing truth with deception counterfeits the whole and the very reason to be afraid of those who do so.

You would make Him a liar when He said He would rise. This type of teaching is what Peter feared and warned against as he saw Him risen himself.

Last edited:

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
The 12 didn't know -

Luke 18:31-32 KJV - Luke 18:33-34 KJV -

Luke 24:9-10 KJV - Luke 24:11 KJV -

Last edited:

clefty

Without the Levitical Priesthood there is no Mosaic Law Covenant. It was all been satisfied in Christ's death, who is the High Priest forever - in the order of Melchizedek, not Aaron/Levite.

He desires mercy not sacrifice...

The priesthood has always been secondary and merely an act of memorandum.

Passover occured then remembered.

Creation occurred and on Sabbath we remember.

iouae

While many are still fixated with the 613, I try to focus on the much more relevant 1050.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
When Did the Disciples of Jesus
Stop Observing the Old Testament Laws?

It was at some time after the death of Jesus that Christians stopped observing the Old Testament laws. Exactly when that change occurred is not clear in the Bible.
It is clear in the Bible, it was some 14 years after DBR that the 12 found out about Paul's gospel, given to him first by the risen ascended Christ on the road to Damascus.

Galatians 2:1 KJV - Galatians 2:2 KJV -

clefty

WRITTEN Commandments were nailed to the cross. Compare to Eph 2. The Greek words used are

G5498
χειρόγραφον
cheirographon
khi-rog'-raf-on
Neuter of a compound of G5495 and G1125; something hand written (“chirograph”), that is, a manuscript (specifically a legal document or bond (figuratively)): - handwriting.

G1378
δόγμα
dogma
dog'-mah
From the base of G1380; a law (civil, ceremonial or ecclesiastical): - decree, ordinance.

Eph 2
14 For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us; 15 having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;

The context of Col 2 shows that Paul is referring to the Mosaic Law itself.

Col 2
10 And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power: 11 in whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ: 12 buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead. 13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses; 14 blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross; 15 and having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.

16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: 17 which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ. 18 Let no man beguile you of your reward in a voluntary humility and worshipping of angels, intruding into those things which he hath not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind, 19 and not holding the Head, from which all the body by joints and bands having nourishment ministered, and knit together, increaseth with the increase of God. 20 Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances, 21 (touch not; taste not; handle not; 22 which all are to perish with the using;) after the commandments and doctrines of men? 23 which things have indeed a shew of wisdom in will worship, and humility, and neglecting of the body; not in any honour to the satisfying of the flesh.

https://abiblicalperspective.wordpress.com/2007/12/12/that-which-has-been-nailed-to-the-cross/

A little longer reading:

http://www.thethirdangelsmessage.com/the-book-of-the-law

clefty

It's merely opinion/speculation, however, I believe that Peter and the rest of the Apostles/Disciples continued to preach "The Kingdom Gospel" to the Jews until they died. Whereas, the Apostle Paul preached "The Grace Gospel" to the Gentiles until he died. That's my opinion.

As witness to the joos it's ironic Peter is head of the Roman church...or is it?

clefty

Galatians 2:7 KJV - 2 gospels

But wouldn't one of these gospels be another gospel?

The gospel is salvation and there is only one way...but in this case two audiences.

And the gospel as salvation was already in the OT and was alway welcoming foreigners...if they obeyed.

Those who have faith and believe will wish to obey.

Gentiles are merely grafted in and even biological law demands the grafted branch adheres to the root and stock it's attached to. You can't graft an apple branch to a orange tree. So spiritually speaking our fruit should closely follow the previous tradition.

clefty

I think the OT disagrees with you. The entire law of Moses was the 10 and all of the other laws, commandments, and statues given to Israel. It was all written down in the Book of the Law, also called the Covenant, also called the Law of Moses, also called the Law of God, also called the 10 commandments.

So now ALL the Law was nailed to the cross?

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
But wouldn't one of these gospels be another gospel?

The gospel is salvation and there is only one way...but in this case two audiences.

And the gospel as salvation was already in the OT and was alway welcoming foreigners...if they obeyed.

Those who have faith and believe will wish to obey.

Gentiles are merely grafted in and even biological law demands the grafted branch adheres to the root and stock it's attached to. You can't graft an apple branch to a orange tree. So spiritually speaking our fruit should closely follow the previous tradition.
2 different gospels and actually a "gospel" is any piece of good news - there are many gospels in the Bible

clefty

They did not know that Jesus had fulfilled the Law and were still keeping the Law as they were taught.

When did they find out? Why weren't they notified? Had you read the opening article of the thread you would have seen Peter and Paul and the early assemblies continuing as per usual. Usual being the old covenant ways.

He did change the entire thing in one sentence, the night He was betrayed when He held up a cup of wine and said this is MY NEW COVENANT in MY BLOOD, shed for you.

You imply and argue from silence.

If the change occurred at that time then there would have been no need for the Passover to be kept that year.

Apparently the new covenant maintained the terms of the old and Passover continued to be celebrated and Peter remained kosher. Don't see Paul eating pork either though...

TweetyBird

When did they find out? Why weren't they notified? Had you read the opening article of the thread you would have seen Peter and Paul and the early assemblies continuing as per usual. Usual being the old covenant ways.

I don't see that. What Acts says it that broke bread together daity, joined together as a community, shared all their common goods, prayed and worshiped together and then went to the Temple to preach the Gospel. That does not sound like the Mosaic Law to me. I will say the change in keeping the law was progressive. Changing 1500 years of practice takes time to change. That is why Jesus called Paul, and taught him Himself so that he could reveal the mystery of the Gospel.

You imply and argue from silence.

How is Jesus saying "this is My Blood of the New Covenant which is shed for many for the forgiveness of sins", speaking from silence?

If the change occurred at that time then there would have been no need for the Passover to be kept that year.

Apparently the new covenant maintained the terms of the old and Passover continued to be celebrated and Peter remained kosher. Don't see Paul eating pork either though...

Peter ate with the Gentiles. Jesus said what goes into the body cannot make one unclean and then God confirmed it to Peter when He let down the sheet full of unclean animals and told him to eat - 3 times. Jesus died at Passover so of course the new covenant was not in effect until He died. Paul lived in many communities during his ministry and mostly with the Gentiles. Having written that "But meat commendeth us not to God: for neither, if we eat, are we the better; neither, if we eat not, are we the worse" I hardly doubt that Paul was "kosher". You do understand that "kosher" is not the same thing as what is written in the Mosaic Law?

Passover could not be maintained. It was completely satisfied in Christ. You don't "maintain" the shadows when the Light casts no shadows.